Game 56 vs Starts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 56 vs Starts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:28 am

Pens lose 4-3 in OT

- Pens lost a tough one after being up 2-0 and then a late comeback to tie it at three! Thrilled they got the point, but road games are kind of an issue for this club
- Stars were coming after the Pens skill guys, more so than almost any game this year. Reaves gave some long stares and nobody got hurt... Geno was suckered into a penalty....
- Geno seemed almost taken off his game by the constant rough treatment. Would have liked to have seen Reaves & Oleksiak take more of an issue with things. HCMS probably instructed them to :slug:
- Oleksiak wanted to do well and I thought he played a great game. He pushed it a few times, but you can't blame him for trying
- Simon had a few bad shifts again, but nothing like the night before. Not sure what has happened to him, but he's not the same guy he was, likely a confidence thing.
- Rowney didn't look right, which is saying something.... Maybe we'll see Teddy Bluegar debut on Sunday afternoon. Lot of guys playing through injuries right now.
- Pens are missing Hornqvist bigtime, no surprise there for anyone. Lehtonen saw too many pucks last night, he enjoyed this win a little too much for my liking (hoping the Pens made a note of that, see King Hank)
- Sid almost had 400 through a screen! Seems like Sid is avoiding the danger zone in front, he might be battling through injury too?
- I miss MAF most on the shootout... he was golden (of course, he is even more golden as a knight)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 56 vs Starts - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:36 pm

Ugh... I really thought I was going to see #400 in person last night. Frustrating game. My observations from the game:

- Pens fans rolled out. I would guess we had maybe a third of the arena. Very cool.
- Geno definitely thrown off his game by the early physicality. My wife even picked up on it since Geno is her favorite player. He was gliding around and bringing down his line. Disappointing.
- Phil and Hags were our best players. Maybe I had too many drinks and Im forgetting someone, but these guys hustled all over the ice and battled. Phil even engaging in puck battle along the boards, and giving Benn the business after a few plays. Lol. Phil and Hags were awesome.
- Sheahan and ZAR seemed steady/reliable.
- we could not get pucks deep! For a back to back, Hitchcock had those guys playing very disciplined and thei neautral zone D gave our breakouts and zone entries fits all night. The Stars had so many breakaways because their D was picking off our chip ins and reversing the play with a lot of successful stretch passes. Would love to see a Jesse breakdown of the x's and o's there.
- Hanzal did not play for Dallas after taking a puck to the leg against CHI, but I think we all got to see how deep Dallas is now. They roll 4 lines successfully, that top line is impressive and gave us fits all night especially against our 4th line several times. And their Dmen have been coached up and playing very smart. Methot is not even back yet, and he played top pair for Ottawa and shut Sid down last playoffs. These guys will give Nashville all they can handle IMHO.
- Simon... Ugh. Agreed Penspal, he is struggling with confidence. Although Rowney as his C doesnt help much.
- Blueger should have played. Sit Rowney right now. If he is actually healthy... Please get rid of him. Horrible.
- Rust does not fit on Sid's line. I cant put my finger exactly why... But their chemistry looked terrible on the ice from the stands. Sid does not have enough support on line 1 right now. Until he gets it, we will have to hope for #400 only on the power play I fear.
- Phil is the man.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:16 pm

-Pens definitely shied away from all the contact, especially Malkin. I'm actually really, really, really okay with it. No need to risk injury in the regular season against a Western team. We know how this goes in the playoffs.
-That said, Reaves didn't stop **** last night. High cross checks on Sid, Malkin, and Letang all night long.
-Rust is an exceptional bottom-6 player and a terrible top-6 player. I hate this cycle Sully has him on where he starts scoring on the bottom 6 and "graduates" to the top 6 where he immediately fails. Some players just are better suited for different roles.
-What a weird game for officiating. Players talks about consistency - they started the game calling everything and then stopped. Pick one or the other. It's maddening to watch and probably worse for the players.
-Murray is fine. Letang and co. just keep putting him in such bad positions.
-Rowney simply does not have a place on this team. If he's supposed to be a preeminent defender, then he better start defending. It's seriously Craig Adams all over again.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:21 pm

With Sheary coming back from injury and him getting thrown around like a rag doll against this heavy team, Sullivan may have wanted to give a couple of shifts to Reaves. I think the fourth line played about a minute in the last period after the Rowney screen.

Reaves tried to engage Roussel, but Roussel showed the p---y he is, and set his sites on the smaller, more skillful players. With the aid of the refs taking the last 53 minutes of the game off, this turned the game to the bigger, heavier team. No way you want to let the team with the number one power play get a few power plays.

Missed Hornqvist. And probably Kuhnackl.

Would have loved to have been in the alternate universe where the Murray pass to Crosby in overtime woudn't have been blown dead.

I hate Hitchcock. Hope the Stars end up ninth in the west. Amazing the Golden Knights are doing so well with garbage they have to face every night.

Nice to see the Schultz goal. They really did fight their way through this game to salvage a point.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:44 pm

Southern Fan wrote:With Sheary coming back from injury and him getting thrown around like a rag doll against this heavy team, Sullivan may have wanted to give a couple of shifts to Reaves. I think the fourth line played about a minute in the last period after the Rowney screen.

Reaves tried to engage Roussel, but Roussel showed the p---y he is, and set his sites on the smaller, more skillful players. With the aid of the refs taking the last 53 minutes of the game off, this turned the game to the bigger, heavier team. No way you want to let the team with the number one power play get a few power plays.

Missed Hornqvist. And probably Kuhnackl.

Would have loved to have been in the alternate universe where the Murray pass to Crosby in overtime woudn't have been blown dead.

I hate Hitchcock. Hope the Stars end up ninth in the west. Amazing the Golden Knights are doing so well with garbage they have to face every night.

Nice to see the Schultz goal. They really did fight their way through this game to salvage a point.

Funny you say that about Hitchcock. I’d like to consider myself a decent human being, but something about him makes me want to drive my fist thru his face. Can’t stand him.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:54 pm

I felt like that about boudreau. I wanted to smash him with a mustard bottle.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:55 pm

I wonder if the physicality caught the Pens by surprise. It caught me as a fan by surprise. I go into watching games against Columbus, Washington, etc. expecting that crap, but I'd gotten used to thinking of Dallas as this high-flying offensive team with shaky defense (i.e., not a team trying to turn games into slugfests right from the drop of the puck). I guess I knew Hitchcock was now their coach, but I didn't really put together what that meant for how they'd play.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:40 pm

largegarlic wrote:I wonder if the physicality caught the Pens by surprise. It caught me as a fan by surprise. I go into watching games against Columbus, Washington, etc. expecting that crap, but I'd gotten used to thinking of Dallas as this high-flying offensive team with shaky defense (i.e., not a team trying to turn games into slugfests right from the drop of the puck). I guess I knew Hitchcock was now their coach, but I didn't really put together what that meant for how they'd play.

I'd say the officials behavior 2nd and 3rd period caught the Penguins by surprise more than the physical play. I do wonder though, where was Reaves? I thought he was supposed to stop these kinds of shenanigans. He had 3 hits, but just didn't seem to be much of a factor in the game.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hot Dog Vendor on Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:08 am

Daniel wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I wonder if the physicality caught the Pens by surprise. It caught me as a fan by surprise. I go into watching games against Columbus, Washington, etc. expecting that crap, but I'd gotten used to thinking of Dallas as this high-flying offensive team with shaky defense (i.e., not a team trying to turn games into slugfests right from the drop of the puck). I guess I knew Hitchcock was now their coach, but I didn't really put together what that meant for how they'd play.

I'd say the officials behavior 2nd and 3rd period caught the Penguins by surprise more than the physical play. I do wonder though, where was Reaves? I thought he was supposed to stop these kinds of shenanigans. He had 3 hits, but just didn't seem to be much of a factor in the game.

My thought is that Sully probably had a pretty good feel for the pulse of this game, and knew that the stripes were just itching to call some roughing penalties on the Pens. Almost like they were attempting to goad Reaves or Oleksiak to take exception to something so they could short-hand the Pens. So, I'm sure that Sully ordered those guys to walk softly.
Hot Dog Vendor
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:14 am

Good morning! I hope they arrive cranky, but ready. 11am hockey woo....for them.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 am

Good morning Penny!

Ready for some hockey today. Blues coming off two strong wins against divisional teams Colorado and Winnipeg. Should be great game.

I am wishful that Sully will play Blueger instead of Rowney at 4C. To a lesser extent I would also love to see Rust and Sheary switched from last games lineup.

Guentzel-Sid-Sheary
Hags-Geno-Phil
ZAR-Sheahan-Rust
Simon-Blueger-Reaves
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins