Game 57 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 57 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:16 am

Pens win 4-1

- What a fantastic win for the team on the Dad's trip, with Matt Murray (MM, or Muzz as they call him) summoning up an elite performance for his Dad :fist:
- Sid's 400th goal was classic Sid. He's getting it done with a rookie on one side, and Sheary on the other. No disrespect to them, but what if he had top wingers?
- Oleksiak was a missing piece that only GMJR knew the Pens needed. The big body dman was essential in this game (Pens looked small vs Blues). Another trade steal
- Pens puck pursuit/forecheck has been great of late. Haggy, Rust, Simon all using their wheels and its resulting in game changing goals
- What's up with the Powerplay? It looked horribly disjointed and couldn't get the zone yesterday morning (crazy but true)
- While its AWESOME to see Sid, Geno & Phil in top 10 scoring, Pens sit with 66 magical points, chasing Caps by 4. Only 6 points up BJ's who's are out of playoff contention, TIGHT!
- Anyone know why Doc Emerick thanked/congratulated Konstantin Koltsov at the end of the game? Doc rattled off names of people, that one jumped out at me :arrow:
- Kinda sucks we didn't get to see Blueger. Rowney's the bigger body in a big body game vs Blues, bue he's looking hurt, so hopefully we'll see Teddy this week
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 57 vs Blues - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:13 am

Did Reaves see any ice time after his penalty early in the 3rd?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:25 am

I thought Sheary hustled and made some nice plays especially that play when he was out of gas but backchecked , dove and swung and knocked the puck off a guy cruising down the slot.

Simon made a few nice plays too, especially the one from behind the Blues net that resulted in a goal.

Hags is flying around also, really motoring.

Murray came up very big, nice to hear an ex goalie in Darren Pang explain some of the things he was doing. And I even saw him use a poke check!

I think Letang infected Dumo as his clearing pass up the boards went right to the Blues player who scored from the point; why didn't he skate a few strides then bank it off the boards out of harms way?

Letang looks like a shell of himself out there, sad to see....

Nice to see them respond so quickly to the Blues goal, nice "squeaker" by Sid!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:10 pm

One of the best "regular season" games Murray has ever had.

Those weren't your older brothers Blues. Actually try to play hockey. Hope they sneak into that eighth spot.

Guentzel given part of the day off, based on nine minutes time on ice.

ZAR looks like he could be a decent fourth liner.

Letang pinch on the goal against was cringeworthy. Decides to pinch with the fourth line grinders out there and Reaves and Rowney were just not quick and fast enough to recover for him.

Nice 5 points from three tough western opponents.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:13 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:Did Reaves see any ice time after his penalty early in the 3rd?

I don't think the fourth line got much playing time in the last ten minutes of the game. Might have been situational nursing a 2-1 lead.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Did Reaves see any ice time after his penalty early in the 3rd?

I don't think the fourth line got much playing time in the last ten minutes of the game. Might have been situational nursing a 2-1 lead.

Nursing Reaves?!

If there is any guy on our roster that we dont have to worry much about its our current 4RW. We have a few more RW about the place.

I'm not trying to get into a value for Reaves debate... But come on . If you give other people more ice time during a won game situation with the purpose to rest Reaves... we live in an alternate universe
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:50 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

Nursing Reaves?!

If there is any guy on our roster that we dont have to worry much about its our current 4RW. We have a few more RW about the place.

I'm not trying to get into a value for Reaves debate... But come on . If you give other people more ice time during a won game situation with the purpose to rest Reaves... we live in an alternate universe

They didn't rest Reaves, they kept him and the rest of the forth line off the ice in order to protect the lead.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:06 pm

-I honestly cannot figure out why anyone would have compared ZAR to Hornqvist. Like, at all. He has zero nose for the net whatsoever. It's not a knock on the guy, and I think he's been perfectly fine, but what a load of hogwash that narrative was.

-I have no idea what to make of Jake Guentzel. He looks like a player that had early success and stopped working because all of the great things about his game are glaringly absent these days.

-Phil Kessel is closer to winning the Selke than Carter Rowney is to be a center. Seriously, how many defensive zone draws did he lose cleanly yesterday? All of them? At one point, Sully put him out for three straight which all resulted in clean losses and shots on goal, all in what felt like 10 seconds of game time. He's a winger, he has always been a winger, and he has always been an AHL winger. What's worse is he isn't a very good defensive player. I just simply can't wrap my head around it.

-The Real Murray has arrived.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:06 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

Nursing Reaves?!

That's not what Southern Fan's comment means, at all. I don't even know how you put 2 and 2 together to get "to rest Reaves" He meant only playing the "better" lines to not give up a goal, "nursing a 2-1 lead"

However, I just take it as yet another example of Sullivan's line management. When the team was up 3-1, and especially 4-1, you rest your stars and play the bottom 6 more. Time and time again he shows that he doesn't understand managing player ice time and protecting the star players.

Reaves last shift ended 2:39 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 17:21
Guentzel's last shift ended 2:39 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 17:21
Rowney's last shift ended 4:28 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 15:32

He is like a kid playing PlayStation, no matter what the situation is always put out your best rested line, rarely play your 4th line.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Lesky on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:28 pm

Jim wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Southern Fan wrote:

Nursing Reaves?!

That's not what Southern Fan's comment means, at all. I don't even know how you put 2 and 2 together to get "to rest Reaves" He meant only playing the "better" lines to not give up a goal, "nursing a 2-1 lead"

However, I just take it as yet another example of Sullivan's line management. When the team was up 3-1, and especially 4-1, you rest your stars and play the bottom 6 more. Time and time again he shows that he doesn't understand managing player ice time and protecting the star players.

Reaves last shift ended 2:39 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 17:21
Guentzel's last shift ended 2:39 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 17:21
Rowney's last shift ended 4:28 into the 3rd, no shifts for the final 15:32

He is like a kid playing PlayStation, no matter what the situation is always put out your best rested line, rarely play your 4th line.

Agreed 100%.

What you forgot to mention is that when the game is 4-1 Reaves should be out there, to try make people on opposing teams think twice of bringing the rough stuff when they realize the game is lost aka Matt Calvert last year. I am not saying Reaves would always prevent that, but if he is out there he can at least take care of anyone doing a "Calvert".
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:55 pm

Lesky wrote:What you forgot to mention is that when the game is 4-1 Reaves should be out there, to try make people on opposing teams think twice of bringing the rough stuff when they realize the game is lost aka Matt Calvert last year. I am not saying Reaves would always prevent that, but if he is out there he can at least take care of anyone doing a "Calvert".

Up 4-1, less than 10 minuted left, keep Crosby and Malkin off the ice as much as possible. Scoring #5 is not necessary, a little less ie time will rest them, no chance of injury due to accident or cheap play. But that is not how a 12 year old plays NHL18... so out goes Malkin for 4 shifts...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:43 pm

The fact that Malkin and Letang, more than anyone, let their guard down when they get a cushion is all the more reason to give minutes to the 4th line when they go up by a couple goals.

That said, the fourth line has been brutal since Rowney has been back. The current setup doesn't exactly inspire defensive confidence.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jpvs2k6 on Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:47 pm

wondermoose wrote:That said, the fourth line has been brutal since Rowney has been back. The current setup doesn't exactly inspire defensive confidence.

Carter Rowney was a good story last year. This year, he doesn't deserve any of the ice time he's getting. He's brutal.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:35 pm

Wasn’t Rowney a winger on Cullen’s line last year ? The full time center responsibility is getting to him.

Thanks for the follow ups on the meaning of nurse.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:37 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Wasn’t Rowney a winger on Cullen’s line last year ? The full time center responsibility is getting to him.

Thanks for the follow ups on the meaning of nurse.

Yes, until Bonino broke his leg in Game 2 of the Finals where Rowney took over 4th line C duties.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:56 am

In Rowney's defence, he is playing injured (read on DK's site and mentioned on a broadcast (might not have been Pens feed). I respect that HCMS is trying to give his championship soldier a shot... He knows what Rowney can bring in the playoffs, and playoff performance is more important than anything. However, that last highlights that he might need to heal more before playing... bring on Blueger for a bit I say. #FreeTeddyBlueger
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:34 am

Penspal wrote:In Rowney's defence, he is playing injured (read on DK's site and mentioned on a broadcast (might not have been Pens feed). I respect that HCMS is trying to give his championship soldier a shot... He knows what Rowney can bring in the playoffs, and playoff performance is more important than anything. However, that last highlights that he might need to heal more before playing... bring on Blueger for a bit I say. #FreeTeddyBlueger

I am hopeful Blueger plays tonight based on Sully having last line change and can protect his usage a bit better than on the road when he was first called up.

The fact Sully had a know commodity in Rowney, I am hopeful that is why he played Rowney on the road in two tough physical matchups against dangerous teams.

3 straight home games now... I agree, lets find out what we have in Blueger please.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:17 am

Was there really a line of Gentzel-Rowney-Reaves? I can't say that I am surprised that it didn't click, but that none of them saw the ice again all afternoon except for two short shifts for Rowney is particularly telling.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:43 am

Great58 wrote:Was there really a line of Gentzel-Rowney-Reaves? I can't say that I am surprised that it didn't click, but that none of them saw the ice again all afternoon except for two short shifts for Rowney is particularly telling.

I think that is just how things ended up with Sully's line shuffling to get more puck possession in the o-zone due to St Louis' big D-corp as Sully said. Guentzel is the most confusing... I do not recall if he was losing a lot of pucks, giving up possession, etc. certainly could not have been worse than Sheary losing the puck that game and I do not recall Sheary getting demoted.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
Great58 wrote:Was there really a line of Gentzel-Rowney-Reaves? I can't say that I am surprised that it didn't click, but that none of them saw the ice again all afternoon except for two short shifts for Rowney is particularly telling.

I think that is just how things ended up with Sully's line shuffling to get more puck possession in the o-zone due to St Louis' big D-corp as Sully said. Guentzel is the most confusing... I do not recall if he was losing a lot of pucks, giving up possession, etc. certainly could not have been worse than Sheary losing the puck that game and I do not recall Sheary getting demoted.

Looks like he tried it throughout the entire second period, about five shifts. Resulted in one goal against. Then one last shift in the third, then no more ice time for any of them.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins