Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Subdue Senators 6-3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Subdue Senators 6-3

Postby netwolf on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:39 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Sens, a 6-3 win

Something good: It was great to see Jake Guentzel get two goals a look more like himself. Many (no more than Guentzel himself) have been disappointed with his play, but he's up to 18g, 12a in 56 games. That's 26+18 over a full 82. That's not exactly replacement level. There are definitely areas he can be better, but hopefully this game gives him a little boost, he relaxes a little, and keeps his arrow pointing up.

Where they need improvement: They didn't have the best start, getting out shot 11-4 in the first. You usually don't come out with a 1-0 lead after a period like that. Following that up by getting out shot 14-7 in the second wasn't a good idea either, but they managed to still be up 4-2 after 2. You aren't going to get results from that kind of play very often, especially against better teams.

Something good: Matt Murray didn't finish with great numbers (30 saves on 33 shots for a .909 save percentage and 3.00 GAA), but he kept his team in it early. The Pens might have dug themselves a hole they couldn't get out of if not for him in those first 2 periods.

A little extra: A sandwich is better with some chips, and since I couldn't fit Zack Aston-Reese in above, he gets to be the chips. He scored his first two NHL goals and got in a pretty good chirp after, saying of his empty-netter, "I heard someone saying he (Rust) was like 1 for 12 in college or something like that. I didn't want to follow in his footsteps there."
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Subdue Senators 6-3

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:41 pm

I liked that Sullivan called them on their laid back play and they responded.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins