Game 59 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 59 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:01 am

Pens dethrone Kings 3-1

- Pens looked very slow/pokey early on, but found their gear to beat a decent Kings team.
- Murray is in playoff form. He is so technically sound... on one left pad save, his right arm with sweeping stick motion was underway as he was putting his pad down... Seeing it in slo-mo
- Reaves one legged snipe was somewhat reminiscent of a Phil shot, I know everyone teased him about it, but I have seen him attempt it before... Attaboy Sniper!
- Speaking of Kessel, how many passes are sooooo good they result in a 2-0.... Sid totally flubbed that pass to ZAR for tap in... I think puck hit a rut :lol:
- Geno gets that late one to keep his scoring madness going. Like Mario back in the day... some are ugly, but when you continuously find ugly, you've gotten something others do not
- Its apparent to me that there are two versions of Simon, when he's on he's fast, great puck stealer and can stick handle in a phone booth... .then there is that other guy :slug:
- Oleksiak made some Hal Gill like plays last night (last few games really), long stretch with stick breaking up danger. Remember how good Hal Skillz Gill was in the playoffs :D
- ZAR's face was funny when he was awarded the goal... happy, but also surprised and maybe concerned that he got credit for it :lol:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 59 vs Kings - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:24 am

Mario's favorite goalie scored upon was "empty net"!
I enjoyed the game, some get antsy with so few goals. Jonathon Quick was very good and lucky.
I thought the pens D did a good job containing Kopitar. Tofolli, and Brown. Letang and Maatta, and Dumoulin all good games.
Sid hasn't had that big winger with him since Colby... i joke. :P Could be something.
Matt Murray is just playing- not overly thinking his game.
High holy pens trinity- Sid- Gene and Phil! Beware NHL

:shock: 11 remaining home games reg season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:01 pm

--I'm starting to see the Aston-Reese/Hornqvist comparisons now.
--On the downside with regards to rookies, Simon looks like he's really fighting it right now. Doesn't have much jump and making mistakes with the puck. I think he'd be the one to sit when Hornqvist comes back.
--Granted I missed the first 10 minutes of the game, and on the radio, they said the Pens were turning the puck over a lot early, but from what I saw, the team was much better in their zone exits and coming through the neutral zone. The last game I had seen live was the Caps game, and even though they won, I thought they were very sloppy in those areas.
--I really like the defense corps as it stands now--Cole and Oleksiak on the bottom pairing, with Hunwick and Ruhwedel as the 7 and 8 guys. I just don't know if they'll have to move someone for cap purposes if they're bringing in a center.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:07 pm

largegarlic wrote:--I'm starting to see the Aston-Reese/Hornqvist comparisons now.
--On the downside with regards to rookies, Simon looks like he's really fighting it right now. Doesn't have much jump and making mistakes with the puck. I think he'd be the one to sit when Hornqvist comes back.
--Granted I missed the first 10 minutes of the game, and on the radio, they said the Pens were turning the puck over a lot early, but from what I saw, the team was much better in their zone exits and coming through the neutral zone. The last game I had seen live was the Caps game, and even though they won, I thought they were very sloppy in those areas.
--I really like the defense corps as it stands now--Cole and Oleksiak on the bottom pairing, with Hunwick and Ruhwedel as the 7 and 8 guys. I just don't know if they'll have to move someone for cap purposes if they're bringing in a center.

Simon had a nice forecheck where he made a hit, got the puck behind their net and passed out in front to Crosby I think but I think he missed or Quick made a save. It was similar to the Sheahan goal where he did the same behind the net.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:14 pm

Aston-Reese goal was officially changed to Kris Letang about 10 minutes ago, per the Penguins PR lady.

That said, Aston-Reese sure doesn't look like he is going back to the AHL anytime soon. At the absolute worst case, I think he's a better option than Kuhnhackl right now on the 4th line, even when Kuhnhackl is healthy. But, he can defintely be a solid 3rd liner or part-time top 6 player. With more time, he may even prove to be a decent top 6 option.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Aston-Reese goal was officially changed to Kris Letang about 10 minutes ago, per the Penguins PR lady.

That said, Aston-Reese sure doesn't look like he is going back to the AHL anytime soon. At the absolute worst case, I think he's a better option than Kuhnhackl right now on the 4th line, even when Kuhnhackl is healthy. But, he can defintely be a solid 3rd liner or part-time top 6 player. With more time, he may even prove to be a decent top 6 option.

Ironic that Kuhnhackl finally gets a sniff at the top line and then he goes down with injury.... Not saying that where he belongs, but that injury has given ZAR his chance. I think Tommy K's pk prowess will keep him in the lineup. He's got valuable SC playoff experience that HCMS loves.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:00 pm

Sid with 93 regular season points over last 365 days, 7 points short of 1,100.
Ovie got his 1100th last night, in just 137 more games played than Sid.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:07 pm

This was the best I have seen us play the Kings for the last 5-7 years. We were in control for almost the entire game other than a few nice Kings power plays and the first 4-5 mins of play.

These are the types of games that just make you feel lucky to be alive as a Pens fan right now and have this team to root for right now. That level of performance last night can beat Nashville, Boston, Tampa, Vegas in the playoffs.

- Murray, Letang, Hags, Sheary, Guentzel, Reaves... all these guys we need to be better were surprisingly terrific last night. We looked deep, and every line and pairing looked like a threat against the best defensive team in the League.
- Doughty yelling at Rust "You're offsides Dude!", and Rust meekly skating to the bench was hilarious.
- I thought Simon looked fine, even great on forecheck, up until he got banged up (think it was a shot block in Dzone). He looked slightly slower afterwards.
- I think if you added a Grabner + Cullen or Vermette to this team... I don't see how anyone beats us in 7 game series. I think Boston, Tampa, and Nashville could easily take us to 7 with home ice advantage, but not beating us 4 times in a series with a little more depth.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:21 pm

I wish Sid would be a little more selfish with the puck. I feel as if he wants to the play-maker for the new guys. He's given up numerous chances to shoot and instead feeding the puck to Simon or A-R. Just gotta fire away at times.

I hope they don't bring back Cullen just because (ala the BlackHawks). Although he is a cheap I wouldn't mind seeing a younger set of legs on that 4th line that can grind it out
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:53 pm

:lol: haha,funny stat sheet , three headed monster all with 66 pts
Crosby 19+47
Malkin 32+34
Kessel 24+42
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:35 am

midd wrote:I wish Sid would be a little more selfish with the puck. I feel as if he wants to the play-maker for the new guys. He's given up numerous chances to shoot and instead feeding the puck to Simon or A-R. Just gotta fire away at times.

I hope they don't bring back Cullen just because (ala the BlackHawks). Although he is a cheap I wouldn't mind seeing a younger set of legs on that 4th line that can grind it out

With respect to being selfish with the puck.... I feel the same, but have convinced myself that he's being the ultimate Captain. Trying to get these new guys to have confidence by setting them up and allowing them to get goals in the NHL. In some ways this has what he's done with Guentzel and Sheary.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:08 am

Penspal wrote:
midd wrote:I wish Sid would be a little more selfish with the puck. I feel as if he wants to the play-maker for the new guys. He's given up numerous chances to shoot and instead feeding the puck to Simon or A-R. Just gotta fire away at times.

With respect to being selfish with the puck.... I feel the same, but have convinced myself that he's being the ultimate Captain. Trying to get these new guys to have confidence by setting them up and allowing them to get goals in the NHL. In some ways this has what he's done with Guentzel and Sheary.

Interesting point. Typically the rookies always defer to Sid as opposed to shooting themselves. This is Sid's way reversing that tendency.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins