Official GDT: Pens @ Jackets 2/18/18

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: Pens @ Jackets 2/18/18

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:34 pm

Malkintent wrote:What happened to Schultz?

Mud Butt
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Antonio wrote:
I love Sid, but he is no Mario. Mario was a truly transcendent talent. I do often wonder... if Mario had had Sid's work ethic....Oh my oh my.

You are questioning Mario's work ethic? The guy had crippling back issues and cancer and still dominated. Come on........
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:56 pm

No not in that way. But Sid has a dedication to improving his game, working out, and hard effort most every night that Mario didn't have, mainly because he didn't need it. Mario was so dominant, he was leagues above everyone in the game even at 50% most nights.

I would never question Mario's dedication or commitment, but the work ethic is not the same thing.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:00 am

The fact they have gone 11-1-1 or whatever it is with Sid not dominating shows how good this team is.

I’m fine with him taking the foot off the gas. He’s played a ton of hockey the past few seasons.

And Mario did not have Sid’s work ethic. He would be he first one to admit that.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:11 am

Antonio wrote:No not in that way. But Sid has a dedication to improving his game, working out, and hard effort most every night that Mario didn't have, mainly because he didn't need it. Mario was so dominant, he was leagues above everyone in the game even at 50% most nights.

I would never question Mario's dedication or commitment, but the work ethic is not the same thing.

Whoa. How do you score a goal and an assist in the first game back from fighting cancer and get a goal and 2 assists after being retired for 2 and a half years and not have a good work ethic? Lemieux's body was breaking down, people had to tie his skates......
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:47 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Antonio wrote:No not in that way. But Sid has a dedication to improving his game, working out, and hard effort most every night that Mario didn't have, mainly because he didn't need it. Mario was so dominant, he was leagues above everyone in the game even at 50% most nights.

Whoa. How do you score a goal and an assist in the first game back from fighting cancer and get a goal and 2 assists after being retired for 2 and a half years and not have a good work ethic? Lemieux's body was breaking down, people had to tie his skates......

Late in his career and during his comeback he had good work ethic. He had to.

Early in his career he got by on his unmatched talent. He didn't workout, he smoked, and it didn't matter. He'd show up to training camp and dominate without even needing to workout in the offseason.

I love Mario and he's my favourite player ever but it was known that he didn't have the greatest work ethic for good lengths of his career. Coming back after cancer and scoring in his first game back doesn't prove good work ethic, it proves what a freak talent he was.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Antonio on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 am

murphydump55 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Early in his career he got by on his unmatched talent. He didn't workout, he smoked, and it didn't matter. He'd show up to training camp and dominate without even needing to workout in the offseason.

I love Mario and he's my favourite player ever but it was known that he didn't have the greatest work ethic for good lengths of his career. Coming back after cancer and scoring in his first game back doesn't prove good work ethic, it proves what a freak talent he was.

Exactly my point. Couldn't have said it better.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:50 am

KG wrote:The fact they have gone 11-1-1 or whatever it is with Sid not dominating shows how good this team is.

Even though Sid hasn't been scoring goals, he has been getting points and helping lead the charge almost every night.

Things really seemed to turn after the first of the year for both Sid and Geno. Even though it feels like Geno has been more dominant during that period, prior to Saturday's game they were just about even in points during that period (and for the season too) with Sid at 31 this year & Geno with 30. Add in Malkin's 4 points over the weekend and their numbers are just staggering with Geno at 1.6 points per game in 2018 and Sid with 1.5.

Think about it - that means these two are combining for more than 3 points per game....is it any wonder they are 16-3-2 in that 21 game stretch and moving up quickly in the standing.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:43 am

How was Dubinsky?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:59 am

murphydump55 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

You kind of contradict your self there, but ok.

You cant say in the first sentence "during his comeback he had good work ethic, he had to." and then finish with "coming back after cancer and scoring in his first game back doesnt prove good work ethic."
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:01 am

Antonio wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:
Great58 wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:
RentedMule66 wrote:Time for Sid to wake up and settle things down.....he's been quiet for a few games

Yeah Sid looks terrible tonight. Lazy.

He's stuck on point 1093. Still, 93 points in the year 2/16/17 to 2/16/18, he can have two pointness nights.

Ok...if we're going to be sarcastic, he should never be mentioned in same breath as Lemieux as Mario never went more than 3 games pointless. I guess I just have my expectations higher than you for the so called best player in the league. BTW I NEVER said he was LAZY. Just wanted him to step up and get a point, but then again he's no ML.

I love Sid, but he is no Mario. Mario was a truly transcendent talent. I do often wonder... if Mario had had Sid's work ethic....Oh my oh my.

If Sid played against 1980's rubbish goaltending...Oh my oh my
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby eddiefromirwin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 am

If Sid played against 1980's rubbish goaltending...Oh my oh my

Love boards for comedic relief. While I don't doubt that Sid would have done quite well in any era, "rubbish" is clearly an oversimplified analysis. IMO, the 80's was an awesome time to be a hockey fan.
eddiefromirwin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:10 pm

Laughing at people that think Reaves is the reason for the Bluejackets' behaviour.
The stats show that Columbus isn't that team so much anymore. Almost dead last in the league in penalty minutes per game? I guess every team must have a Reaves. I've watched them play other teams and they've been trying to skate with teams nightly. They put up over 50 shots on the Leafs the other night. The Leafs have some great, young stars and they didn't go after them, nor harass them at all.

Matt Martin was in the press box. I guess he was deterring stuff from there?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:21 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

You kind of contradict your self there, but ok.

You cant say in the first sentence "during his comeback he had good work ethic, he had to." and then finish with "coming back after cancer and scoring in his first game back doesnt prove good work ethic."

Sure you can. My point was that he had good work ethic later in his career, not early. When he came out of retirement his talent alone wasn't going to get him by, he needed to work out and get into shape. In his early days being in shape didn't matter. He dominated no matter what, even as a smoker.

My old neighbour Norm MacIver and a friend's older brother (Greg Johnson) both played with Mario and the ongoing joke was that when training camp was rolling around Mario would stop putting mayo on his clubhouse sandwiches. That was his prep for training camp. The guy was a natural freak early on.

Once the injuries hit and the cancer he was forced into having to work hard to rehab and get back on the ice. Early on it didn't matter.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:41 pm

I remember Mario saying that early in his career, his only offseason preparation was that he stopped eating french fries once training camp started. Going off of memory, I don't think he was kidding when he said it ha.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:46 pm

Steve wrote:I remember Mario saying that early in his career, his only offseason preparation was that he stopped eating french fries once training camp started. Going off of memory, I don't think he was kidding when he said it ha.

I think his line was when it got close to training camp he wouldn't order french fries with his big mac.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:00 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Laughing at people that think Reaves is the reason for the Bluejackets' behaviour.
The stats show that Columbus isn't that team so much anymore. Almost dead last in the league in penalty minutes per game? I guess every team must have a Reaves. I've watched them play other teams and they've been trying to skate with teams nightly. They put up over 50 shots on the Leafs the other night. The Leafs have some great, young stars and they didn't go after them, nor harass them at all.

That was a great game and I too noticed that the Jackets weren't their normal selves in terms of cheapshots and chippiness. Don Cherry's beloved Matt Martin wasn't even playing. He's the guy that EVERY team needs....at least in Don's mind. Well the Leafs are 10-2 since they started making him a healthy scratch and the Leafs didn't require his toughness to keep their stars safe. Weird.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:22 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Laughing at people that think Reaves is the reason for the Bluejackets' behaviour.

Laugh to your heart's content, it's good for the soul. I am just thrilled the cheap shots to the back of Sid's head are way down this year. Regardless of why.

Re: Matt Martin. Interesting reference. One could look at that another way. Maybe, just maybe, his effectiveness would be severely limited as a physical presence, knowing who else would be on the ice, so the Leafs gave him a "maintenance" day. Naw, couldn't be that.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 pm

eddiefromirwin wrote:If Sid played against 1980's rubbish goaltending...Oh my oh my

Love boards for comedic relief. While I don't doubt that Sid would have done quite well in any era, "rubbish" is clearly an oversimplified analysis. IMO, the 80's was an awesome time to be a hockey fan.

It was an exiting era for scoring, to be sure.

THe 1984 and '86 Oilers had 3 50 goal scores on their roster.
The 1982, 1985, 1987 Oilers has 2 50 goal scorers.
The 1980 and 1981 and 1989 Kings had 2 50 goal scorers.
The 1980 Canadiens had 2 50 goal scorers.
the 1985 Capitals had 2 50 goal scorers.
The 1988 and 1989 Flames had 2 50 goal scores.
St. Louis 2 in '93, '94
Detroit 2 in '94
Buffalo '93
PGH '93,'96

No team has had two or more 50 goal scorers in a season since the 1996 Penguins.

The '83-'86 Oilers each has four players scoring 40+, as did the '88 Flames.
THe '88 Oilers slumped to three players at 40+.
LA Kings: Three 40+ goal scorers in '80, '81, '85, '89, '91,
Islanders '85
Hawks '86, 88
Pens '92, '93, '96
Flames 1994

The 1996 Pengiuns were the last team with three 40+ goal scorers.

The 1985 Jets had six 30+ goal scorers.
Oilers anually had five 30+ goal scorers from 82-89
Penguins and Red Wings of 1993 were the last teams with five 30+ goal scorers.

the '83, '84, '86 Oilers and the 1993 Penguins had four 100+ point scores
'81 Kings, '85 and '87 Oilers, '85 Islanders, '89 and '96 Pens all had three 100+ point scorers.

The 1996 Penguins were the last team with three 100 point scorers.

So yeah, the 80 and early 1990's were a goal scorer's era.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:19 pm

Jim wrote:How was Dubinsky?

Very quiet. Was not a factor in the game. Sid did not do much of anything offensively when Dubinsky was out there, but definitely a neutered version of Dubinsky out there which was great.

It appears his injury problems or personal problems that kept him out several games is truly effecting his performance.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:39 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:

Very quiet. Was not a factor in the game. Sid did not do much of anything offensively when Dubinsky was out there, but definitely a neutered version of Dubinsky out there which was great.

It appears his injury problems or personal problems that kept him out several games is truly effecting his performance.

He did suffer fractured face two months ago. That might have quieted him down a bit.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:46 pm

Humperdink wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:

He did suffer fractured face two months ago. That might have quieted him down a bit.

Ah, thx Humperdink. I could not remember the exact injury type he incurred. Yeah that sounds brutal.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Humperdink wrote:

Laugh to your heart's content, it's good for the soul. I am just thrilled the cheap shots to the back of Sid's head are way down this year. Regardless of why.

Re: Matt Martin. Interesting reference. One could look at that another way. Maybe, just maybe, his effectiveness would be severely limited as a physical presence, knowing who else would be on the ice, so the Leafs gave him a "maintenance" day. Naw, couldn't be that.

The Leafs have given him a "maintenance" day since Jan 22nd??? He's been a healthy scratch every day and the Leafs have gone 10-2 in his absence and nobody has taken liberties on Marner, Matthews, or Nylander. C'mon man, if you're going to comment on this with a snide remark, at least know what's going on.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:49 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

The Leafs have given him a "maintenance" day since Jan 22nd??? He's been a healthy scratch every day and the Leafs have gone 10-2 in his absence and nobody has taken liberties on Marner, Matthews, or Nylander. C'mon man, if you're going to comment on this with a snide remark, at least know what's going on.

I merely was responding to you advising that Martin was in the press box for the Pens/Loafs game. Following Martin's playing time is not one of my go-to sites. Sorry.

Snide remark? You betcha! Thanks for spotting it. If only to respond to your constant, unending, ridiculous, repetitive, redundant, needless, invariable, mundane, dreary, tiresome, monotonous criticism of Reaves. Hope that clears it up for you. Thanks again.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:55 pm

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

I merely was responding to you advising that Martin was in the press box for the Pens/Loafs game. Following Martin's playing time is not one of my go-to sites, Sorry.

Snide remark? You betcha! Thanks for spotting it. If only to respond to your constant, unending, ridiculous, repetitive, redundant, needless, invariable, mundane, dreary, tiresome, monotonous criticism of Reaves. Hope that clears it up for you. Thanks again.

Not true. But okay.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins