Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:28 pm

Pens win 5-2

- Jarry was a big story in this game, stopping all he needed to after not playing in the NHL for a month
- Watched the CBJ feed, they showed Guentzel skating by bench doing fist bumps after scoring... He then let out a loud "FUDGE".... That tell's me he's got more to give, and he's going to get there!
- Sheahan is all but eliminating the trade for a 3C, UNLESS he's part of the dealing going the other way!!!! His trade value is waayyy up. :pop: (it is... but I'm kidding, just in case)
- ZAR definitely can learn some things from watching and playing with Horny, but he's already got some of the basics down solid
- Sid seems irate about not getting points, which I'm going to say is a good thing.
- Add Bobrovsky to the list of keepers who's head the Pens are firmly in. I've not seen this since the Mario days... keepers are beating themselves by losing the mental game...... :fist:
- CBJ broadcasters are twice the homers Bobby & Mearsy are. Can't stand the play by play guy, Jody's alright.... Reaves smoked someone just off camera, narry even a mention by them :roll:
- CBJ were chippy, as they always are, but didn't see the other stuff. Was it Reaves being there... so hard to tell, but another game where the superstars were not cheapshotted
- Pens are first in the Metro... but with so many games at hand, it won't last, but its nice to be there...... If playoffs ended today... Pens vs Flyers ;)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,388
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Humperdink on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:14 pm

My favorite headline came from the Columbus Dispatch: "Rout by Penguins a disheartening throwback for Blue Jackets crowd." I like the characterization "rout". And that's THEIR view.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,700
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am
Location: Allegheny National Forest

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby ziggo on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:29 pm

Man , Ashton Reese went totally beastmode on us. He looked right at home in the slot. Has he passed Sprong on the prospect list ? because of the sandpaper he adds. And Jarry is real deal. Who would have ever thought, the prospect pipeline that is Wilkes-Barre. Who did we draft last year ? More coming from the pipeline.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 626
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:13 am
Location: Medicine Hat

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Stillerz Bar on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:48 pm

Humperdink wrote:My favorite headline came from the Columbus Dispatch: "Rout by Penguins a disheartening throwback for Blue Jackets crowd." I like the characterization "rout". And that's THEIR view.

I like the "disheartening throwback" reference. The Tortorella influence is real but once again appears to be short lived and after a few years of relevance they are back to being the same old hapless BJs :lol:
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 817
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Penspal on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:31 pm

- I hate this waiting until Friday for the next game. When the Pens are rolling like this, I so much it was every other day (like playoffs).
- Jackets are in disarray, and with a potential injury to a centre, they are looking like they are not going to make it.
- Pens fans in Columbus were loud as crap. CBJ announcers were not liking it!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,388
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby brwi on Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:20 pm

Penspal wrote:- I hate this waiting until Friday for the next game. When the Pens are rolling like this, I so much it was every other day (like playoffs).
- Jackets are in disarray, and with a potential injury to a centre, they are looking like they are not going to make it.
- Pens fans in Columbus were loud as crap. CBJ announcers were not liking it!


No, the announcers didn't. They are pretty huge homers as you mentioned and not a good crew. Color guy is OK and his use of the telstrator between periods for analysis was good, but then in the 3rd he lapsed into Blue Jacket fever stating "Jarry looks shaky!" three times before the last Pens' goal shut that down. Not the same Jarry I was watching.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,199
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:36 pm

- Dumo and Letang pairing continuing to look better and better.
- Hunwick has quietly gone about his business and has made some nice plays for not playing in about 10 games straight. Nice shot on goal to set up ZAR. He would add nice insurance for our playoff run, but we may not be able to afford that luxury if we are able to add C depth.
- as DelPen pointed out, Foligno injuring himself while taking a run at the smallest guy on our team (Sheary) was classic sweet karma.
- Sheahan with great game. Beauty first goal with the tip redirect. Sully said obviously one of pur beat players last nice.
- after Sheary was demoted to 4th line for 1-2 shifts, and then re-promoted back with Sid, he showed some really nice shifts being stronger on his skates, keeping pucks, and maintaining territory/possession in BJs end. You have to think some of these guys like Hunwick, Sheary, Cole are looking at their situation realizing a three peat is a legit possibility for the Pens right now and they do not want to be traded.
- Sid looked uninspired and very lackadaisical to me. It did not bite us, and ZAR kept doing his thing on top line, so moot point at end of day. But lots of unwillingness to chase pucks in ozone to continue cycles, lazy reaches for pucka and not taking extra step to complete plays or keep them going. Truly looked fatigued.
- thank goodenss we have a capable back up now in Jarry instead of Niemi. Great game by Jarry.
- enjoy the 4 day break Pens. You have earned it.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:43 pm

- of course someone also needs to mention the quality of aome of our shots... 12 shots through two periods that yielded 4 goals. Very similar to our recent game against Ottawa. I love it. TBL has done this all the time to us in recent years. Glad we have the speed, skill, and sniper quality to do it to other teams in games like last night.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:15 pm

- How does Torts not yank Bobrovsky. After the Pens had 4 shots, we were up 3-1.
- I really love seeing Tortorella lose.
- Dumo looks increasingly on top of things. I guess it helps Letang has reacquired his brain cell.
- Shame they didn't go with Sheahan on the ice during the empty net stretch. Him getting a hattrick would've been priceless.
- Malkin is the man. He's feeling it. Which keeps Crosby out of everybody's crosshairs (apart from his own self-critique)
- Jarry was good, mostly. He fought through a momentary lapse.


I don't understand the goaltender interference rules, when I look at that first goal. Kessel hits Bobrovsky's stick as he skates by - his intention to direct the puck in. Sheahan had already knocked it off course at this point. Kessel, for his part, tried to avoid Bob's stick and the goal post. The puck goes five-hole and in.

I went as far as to look up the rule book (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/ ... lebook.pdf) and looked through the appendix situations. And it's clear as mud to me.

Intuitively, I'd say Kessel's (I believe unintentional) contact doesn't affect Bobrovsky's stick position as the puck goes by him -- and that the officials got the call right. But I dunno... fuzzy stuff. Getting a little more respect for them zebras
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,620
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby State College Penguin on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:20 pm

I don't like the lay off between this last game and the next. However, due to others having a game or two in hand, we will really know where we are at the next time we play.

I wonder if JR pulls something off during this break instead of something that could uproot a player later and having to call up someone until the new arrival(s) arrive.

I'm glad we are keeping Cole. I never understood why he was in the dog house. The Cole/Oleksiak duo is turning into a very reliable one.

Have seen Jarry's name attached by posters on this site and the HFboards as far as trade bait and continue to laugh. He is our best option if something happens to Murray, but some feel compelled to send him to Ottawa in a package for Brassard.

Granted, small sample size, but ZAR and Simon is making the kind of impact that Sheary, Rust, Kuhnackl, Jake G and others have the last few years when they were called up. Yes, I guess we can add Murray too. Why not?
State College Penguin
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Dec 25, 2017 6:37 pm

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Regarding Letang's improved recent play... Mackay's recent post gazette article on two-qb system with Schultz and Letang on power play had some interesting points:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1802160177

GMJR said in his round of public interviews last week that Pens management and coaches admit they probably played Letang too many minutes early in the season.

Sully has now moved to playing Schultz as QB #1 on top power play unit because Schultz gets his shot through a bit better than Letang, but more importantly - (i) Letang plays so many roles for us as top d pair, pk, and pp that the coaches are trying to keep his minutes more managed compared to early season, and (ii) Letang on 2nd power play unit gets Letang to be more aggressive in shooting the puck himself and carrying the 2nd unit since he is not deferring to Sid or Geno or Phil any longer.

Letang played about 23 minutes last night and it sounds like the coaching staff are trying to regulate his minutes to avoid the 26-30 minutes he was playing earlier in year.

Sounds like a great job by our staff in recognizing this with Letang and taking action to try to remedy Letang's game. I think a lot of people have won in this decision recently (Schultz prior to recent sickness getting offensive confidence again with top pp time, Letang carrying his second pp unit amd gaining confidence and not getting over fatigued, Dumo with his top pair partner rounding back into form and their pairing becoming one of top units in NHL again, etc).

Here are two recent articles discussing the recent strong top D pairing results of Tanger-Dumo compared to other top pairs:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/2/18/170 ... lkin-goals

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/91105
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:08 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:Regarding Letang's improved recent play... Mackay's recent post gazette article on two-qb system with Schultz and Letang on power play had some interesting points:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1802160177

GMJR said in his round of public interviews last week that Pens management and coaches admit they probably played Letang too many minutes early in the season.

Sully has now moved to playing Schultz as QB #1 on top power play unit because Schultz gets his shot through a bit better than Letang, but more importantly - (i) Letang plays so many roles for us as top d pair, pk, and pp that the coaches are trying to keep his minutes more managed compared to early season, and (ii) Letang on 2nd power play unit gets Letang to be more aggressive in shooting the puck himself and carrying the 2nd unit since he is not deferring to Sid or Geno or Phil any longer.

Letang played about 23 minutes last night and it sounds like the coaching staff are trying to regulate his minutes to avoid the 26-30 minutes he was playing earlier in year.

Sounds like a great job by our staff in recognizing this with Letang and taking action to try to remedy Letang's game. I think a lot of people have won in this decision recently (Schultz prior to recent sickness getting offensive confidence again with top pp time, Letang carrying his second pp unit amd gaining confidence and not getting over fatigued, Dumo with his top pair partner rounding back into form and their pairing becoming one of top units in NHL again, etc).

Here are two recent articles discussing the recent strong top D pairing results of Tanger-Dumo compared to other top pairs:

https://www.pensburgh.com/2018/2/18/170 ... lkin-goals

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wil ... /177/91105

Good reads :fist:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,620
Joined: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:49 am
Location: Is apparently an annoying poster.

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:28 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:- How does Torts not yank Bobrovsky. After the Pens had 4 shots, we were up 3-1.
- I really love seeing Tortorella lose.
- Dumo looks increasingly on top of things. I guess it helps Letang has reacquired his brain cell.
- Shame they didn't go with Sheahan on the ice during the empty net stretch. Him getting a hattrick would've been priceless.
- Malkin is the man. He's feeling it. Which keeps Crosby out of everybody's crosshairs (apart from his own self-critique)
- Jarry was good, mostly. He fought through a momentary lapse.


I don't understand the goaltender interference rules, when I look at that first goal. Kessel hits Bobrovsky's stick as he skates by - his intention to direct the puck in. Sheahan had already knocked it off course at this point. Kessel, for his part, tried to avoid Bob's stick and the goal post. The puck goes five-hole and in.

I went as far as to look up the rule book (http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/ ... lebook.pdf) and looked through the appendix situations. And it's clear as mud to me.

Intuitively, I'd say Kessel's (I believe unintentional) contact doesn't affect Bobrovsky's stick position as the puck goes by him -- and that the officials got the call right. But I dunno... fuzzy stuff. Getting a little more respect for them zebras


Maybe it was my eyes but it appeared the puck had already passed Bobs before Kessel hit the stick. If that's the case, IMHO, that's why the goal wasn't over turned.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,126
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby DelPen on Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:57 pm

Pens broadcast had a perfect angle that showed the puck well past Bob’s stick and on the way in the net before Kessel made contact. They got the call right.

If the Jackets announcers sound like whiny babies that’s a lot due to Jeff Rimer being with the Caps in the 90’s.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,994
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:27 am
Location: Lake Wylie, SC

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby wondermoose on Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:56 am

Letang is starting to even back out to a normal (or, at least, palatable) number of defensive miscues per game. Maybe we all jumped the gun and he really did just need time, but everything this month has started to point the right direction. They're still letting down their guard a bit more than I'd like, but hey, can't complain with the scoring being distributed all over the lineup again. If they can sort out that albatross of a fourth line, and this is really mostly aimed at Carter Rowney (because, you know, he's not actually a center), there's no reason why this team can't take another good run.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 7,236
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:18 am

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby shoeshine boy on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am

Penspal wrote:-
- Pens fans in Columbus were loud as crap. CBJ announcers were not liking it!


I think that was mostly the Yinzers behind me. holy carp, those guys were HAMMERED! :face:
shoeshine boy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,680
Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 9:44 am
Location: me, 3 years Super League

Re: Game 61 vs Blue Jackets - Thoughts from the Morning Afte

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am

Sullivan coaching in calendar year 2018 has really been good. Examples

Getting Cole back in the line up.
Playing Reaves 6-8 minutes a night instead of 2-3 minutes
Splitting Malkin and Kessel.
Giving 4C shifts to Sid and Geno.
Cutting Letang minutes by 3-4 minutes.
Giving Schultz more power play #1 unit time so that Letang can be “more aggressive” on the second unit
Auditioning WBS wings on Sids line and finding ZAR
Not overplaying Murray

It helps that injuries have been manageable and the team flipped the switch
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,898
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:51 am


Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BurghThing, Steve Dave and 19 guests


cron
e-mail