Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Bandwagoners

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Postby jasonpens on Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:53 am

newarenanow wrote:THe problem with Steeler fans is that it is a more of a social acitivty than actually being a football fan. I have a buddy who is like most Steeler fans, they will paint their face, start drinking at 7:00am and yell and make noise during the game, but couldn't tell you other than the marquee names, who is on the team, who they play next, etc. etc.

That is why Steeler fans are idiots when the team sucks. They just blame the coach or the QB and know nothing else.

Pitt and Pens fans are a smaller group, but much more diehard and knowledgable. You will still get the idiots who want the Pens to move because they had a bad season, or Pitt fans who still want to fire Wanny even after a 6-2 start because of a 5-6 season last year in his first year.

Now, Pirate fans have to quit going to games because the Nuttings have no intention to dump money into the team and make them a contender. 14 years is way tooo long, but people still go to stuff the pockets of the Nuttings.

YOU SPEAK THE TRUTH MY FRIEND
jasonpens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Bandwagoners

Postby ivand87 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:01 pm

All those people that said the Pens sucked last year were right - the Pens did suck!

I don't know what you're complaining about... The Pens are great this year, at least so far, and now everyone is realizing their potential. The hardcore hockey fans last year told me that even though our team sucks, our future looked bright, and they loved Sidney Crosby.

Bandwagoners are expected to jump on board anytime a team has the ridiculous amount of talent that we have, with guys like Crosby, Malkin, Staal and Fleury.

As for Steelers and Pirates fans and other people from Pittsburgh, I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a lot of people jumping back on the bandwagon this year, given the fact that Big Ben is completely off his game and the Steelers suck, and the fact that the Pirates suck the big one and that their season officially ended about a couple months ago. They're gonna hop on board and we all know how much they suck, because they're not really hockey fans. So screw them.

All of this is to be expected.

But anyway, we're finally starting to kick ass and all of those early first-round picks are all here and playing well, so it's no surprise the Pens don't suck anymore. (The Penguins are back!) :D
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Peter on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:03 pm

Let's clear this up:

It's simple:

Banwagoners are needed. Simply. When the team does well, these are the people that will up those extra seats. That's good for the team. Does ownership care if they don't follow the pens on a daily basis? If they are smart, they wouldn't give a rat's eye. So when the pens do bad, there are a little less fans around. No harm done.

In conclusion, bandwagoners are needed and welcome. Just because they don't follow the team as much as you do does't mean they are not human beings. For the love of God people have some compassion. For the love of Pete, too. They probably have better things to do anyway.
Peter

Postby Ron` on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:05 pm

Kind of like people who went out and bought Canes jerseys. Just because they were rolling and well they had friends that live there. It's hard to fault them because they spent their hard earned money for the jerseys and it kept them away from watching Star Trek reruns.
Ron`
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby newarenanow on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:21 pm

Peter wrote:Let's clear this up:

It's simple:

Banwagoners are needed. Simply. When the team does well, these are the people that will up those extra seats. That's good for the team. Does ownership care if they don't follow the pens on a daily basis? If they are smart, they wouldn't give a rat's eye. So when the pens do bad, there are a little less fans around. No harm done.

In conclusion, bandwagoners are needed and welcome. Just because they don't follow the team as much as you do does't mean they are not human beings. For the love of God people have some compassion. For the love of Pete, too. They probably have better things to do anyway.

I don't mind bandwagon fans at all. Like you said, we need them. I just hate those people that, when the team is down, they ask why you are a fan, and they just totally rip on the team. But as soon as they are good, they act like they been with them all along.

I am a diehard Pitt FB & BB, Pens, and Steeler fan. When they are bad, I get disgusted and say they stink, but they are my team and I support them through thick and thin.

I am a bandwagon Pirate fan, but I never question anyone's loyalty to the team, even through the past 14 years. if they were good, I'd probably watch everygame, but I will never tell someone they suck because they follow them and then act like I am the biggest fan if they win. I just think they need to do something to let the Nuttings know they are disgusted.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BacklashJack on Wed Nov 01, 2006 4:54 pm

This reminds me of people who do this for bands. "I was into them way before they were popular! You people just listen to them because they are on MTV now!" Who cares? It's a commodity. We live in a capitalistic society. If people don't want to waste their time watching a team that stinks and only watch them when they are good, more power to them. I don't go watch bad movies on purpose, people don't want to see bad teams. There is no intrinsic value in watching crap.
BacklashJack

Postby Kaizer on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:00 pm

if you dont want new fans...go ahead and write back to rendell and change your tune about keeping the team.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby edog on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:03 pm

newarenanow wrote:.

Now, Pirate fans have to quit going to games because the Nuttings have no intention to dump money into the team and make them a contender. 14 years is way tooo long, but people still go to stuff the pockets of the Nuttings.

You won't catch me hanging with those morons new. I disowned the Succos a long time ago....they stole enough from this city....
edog

Postby edog on Wed Nov 01, 2006 5:05 pm

Right now, the Pens need all the support they can get. It still disgusts me that only 13K showed up for that Jersey game last week with first place on the line. That game should have been a sell out. That being said, bring more fans over to the Pens. We need ya. Write those letters to Danny O & Luke.
edog

Postby skullman80 on Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:11 pm

edog wrote:Right now, the Pens need all the support they can get. It still disgusts me that only 13K showed up for that Jersey game last week with first place on the line. That game should have been a sell out. That being said, bring more fans over to the Pens. We need ya. Write those letters to Danny O & Luke.

A game on a Tuesday night against, NJ no less, is not going to sell out, probably not even when the Pens are back to being good again. October is generally a slow month for the Pens anyways, not counting last year.

7 or 8 games does not erase 5 years of futility, I don't blame people for being cautious.

I have partial season tickets, but I can understand the casual fan not wanting to go back yet. I probably wouldn't either if I wasn't a diehard.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins