Game 64 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Game 64 vs Devils - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby largegarlic on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:01 pm

When did Aston-Reese get hurt? I must have missed that.

Also, I forgot about the call-up restrictions after the deadline. That could hamper some of the call-ups I'd like to see happen, but I guess if guys are legitimately injured, they can get exemptions.

Also, Madden was speculating today that since Kessel was given another maintenance day, he's playing hurt. At the game last night, he seemed to hunched over a lot with his hands on his knees anytime there was a whistle. He also went out during one of the TV timeouts and was just firing wristers against the boards like he was testing out his release or something. I'd bet that crash into the boards might still be bothering him.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:22 pm

largegarlic wrote:When did Aston-Reese get hurt? I must have missed that.

Monday's practice or Tuesday's pregame skate, it seems.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Durbano on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:45 pm

I thought DeSmith only let in one bad goal, and did well in the second period to keep the Pens in the game. But last night, combined with Jarry's flop on Saturday, reinforced my opinion that the Pens should have acquired a veteran backup after Niemi didn't work out. Nobody expects them to have Carey Price on the bench, but they're really rolling the dice on Murray's health in the playoffs.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:58 pm

I almost feel bad now when I say how much I like Sheary. Everyone seems to have it out for him but only Hags comes close to matching his forechecking and backchecking intensity. That is why he gets ice time.

That said, he can't handle the puck worth s__.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby suzinpgh on Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:05 pm

The New Jersey Devils: playing the same boring New Jersey style hockey since 1982.

Shero does seem to be piecing together the makings of a team, though.

Geno is usually a beast vs the Devils, but not last night.
Phil does seem to be hurt from that slide in to the boards. He was not himself last night.
DeSmith has good basic skills, like Murray does. I have faith in him and would give him the
nod over Jarry until Murray's return.
suzinpgh
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:08 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:I almost feel bad now when I say how much I like Sheary. Everyone seems to have it out for him but only Hags comes close to matching his forechecking and backchecking intensity. That is why he gets ice time.

That said, he can't handle the puck worth s__.

Meh he's slumping. A few weeks ago everyone was getting in line to drive Hagelin to the airport, now look at him. Just needs to get his confidence back and he'll be golden. Or not. I dunno. I'm not an expert.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:18 pm

I don't hate Sheary generally. It just seems to be his thing to look good for a stretch, slump, get benched, and then get back in the lineup after a break and look pretty decent again.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:45 pm

Maataa once again stripped of the puck behind his own net on the winning goal. He is too slow to skate away from a heavy forecheck!! Then comes the boo-boo face. It is starting to get like Scuderi/Orpik proportions! But we keep hearing how great he is playing and how he is back to his rookie form. Blame Hunwick all you want, but I don't see the top 4 playing like a top 4!! Who is their true shutdown pair or lone "defensive" defenseman, and who do you want out there in the last minute of a game to protect a lead? I do not have confidence in any one of them and that is truly scary!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:22 pm

suzinpgh wrote:The New Jersey Devils: playing the same boring New Jersey style hockey since 1982.

Shero does seem to be piecing together the makings of a team, though.

Geno is usually a beast vs the Devils, but not last night.
Phil does seem to be hurt from that slide in to the boards. He was not himself last night.
DeSmith has good basic skills, like Murray does. I have faith in him and would give him the
nod over Jarry until Murray's return.

The Devils look nothing like they used to and haven't for quite a while.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins