Poll: Steigy/Mears/Errey: If you could wave a wand

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Waving a wand, how would you change the announcing team?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:11 pm

Keep Mears/Errey...its' better in that Steigy is no longer there.
68%
Fire Mears...keep Errey
5%
Fire Errey...keep Mears
8%
Fire em both!!! Get someone new!!
3%
Get Phil Bourque to go to TV to team with Mears
16%

Total votes : 37

Poll: Steigy/Mears/Errey: If you could wave a wand

Postby Realist on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:11 pm

Ok. I find this interesting: Steigy's knowledge of the game (Pens history especially) was great, but he was a very poor announcer. Mears is very vanilla and says "drops the shoulder" about 30 times per game, but he is good with calling the play by play unlike Steigy was.

Errey gets REALLY EXCITED about the stupidest of things and uses cliché after cliché.

So, if you could wave a magic wand, what do you do:
Realist
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Poll: Steigy/Mears/Errey: If you could wave a wand

Postby Humperdink on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:56 pm

I've voted to keep Mears and Errey. I suspect they will improve and mesh as they get to know each other's style. They are adequate. Fire Pot-ash - should have been cast in the movie Slapshot interviewing Bruce Boudreau.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:58 pm

Steigy: super knowledgable, super experienced, seemingly nice guy, great color commentator, makes me want to throw a chair through my TV when he calls a game.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:02 pm

Bourque and Errey, all color! I don't need play by play when I am watching, because I am watching. I can see what is happening. I just want the color, the flavor. Get Tags back too!
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:04 pm

I went with keeping Mears/Errey. Mears not all that great but much better than Steigy. Errey is Errey and usually tolerable, though goofy.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Durbano on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:08 pm

I'd probably use the magic wand for something else and just continue listening to the radio feed.

Steigy is fantastic in-studio, BTW, especially on postgame.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:42 pm

I like both Errey and Bourque, but this year with new folks, they tend to go over the top.
PHil when Mike Lange doesn't travel.
I'm a long time penguin fan who admits to missing STeigerwald!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SteelCityFan on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:29 pm

Jim wrote:Bourque and Errey, all color! I don't need play by play when I am watching, because I am watching. I can see what is happening. I just want the color, the flavor. Get Tags back too!

This would be AWESOME!! I love the way the former players talk about the subtle nuances of the game and give you a behind the scenes type of feel to it. I also love hearing them get excited and genuinely respecting the skill on the ice.
SteelCityFan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:44 pm

Like Steigy on the Madden show or on interviewed on the NHl channel. Hate him play by play, got used to him doing color with Lang. Keep him out of this end of things his time has passed.

Mears is doing great in my book, he is a real good broadcaster and calls the plays as they happen with a good feel for describing the reality of the save or of the action. Keep Mears.

Errey I got used to him over the years but he does get a bit excited. I like him but no doubt he could be better or there might be a better option out there.

Borque on the TV side... loved Borque as a player havn't really listened to him with Lange that much, but the little I have I wouldn't complain much if they gave him a shot there.

I really like Armstrong on the post game shows would like to see how he could do in the color commentary aspect of the games.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:46 pm

SteelCityFan wrote:
Jim wrote:Bourque and Errey, all color! I don't need play by play when I am watching, because I am watching. I can see what is happening. I just want the color, the flavor. Get Tags back too!

This would be AWESOME!! I love the way the former players talk about the subtle nuances of the game and give you a behind the scenes type of feel to it. I also love hearing them get excited and genuinely respecting the skill on the ice.

Amen, color should only be former players. Love when they tell you from experience when things go on on the ice. Even the embarrassing things that happen that go on.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:53 pm

no name wrote:
SteelCityFan wrote:

Amen, color should only be former players. Love when they tell you from experience when things go on on the ice. Even the embarrassing things that happen that go on.

Every time Mears or Errey bring something up as being a thing -- it either just happened -- or it instantly isn't anymore.

Mears/Errey talk about the home winning streak. You just know it will break.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:19 pm

Mears has been dynamite the second half of the season. I can't imagine how awkward it must be to step into a play-by-play role and have people immediately expect perfection. I'm looking forward to seeing how he develops goal calls and all the little details that make announcers great. For all the grief Steiggy got (and fully deserved), the man definitely knew how to call a goal. Part of it is probably genuine, fan-driven excitement (because Steiggy is the biggest Pens fan there is), but I trust that it'll all fall into place for Mearsy.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:21 pm

Mike Rupp would also be a nice addition.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:08 am

I like Errey's color work.

Mearsy is getting better, gotta give him some time I gues.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:10 am

Mears is unbelievably dull. I'll take anyone else. I really like Errey.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:27 am

Too bad this wasn't an option. I'd have voted for this one. I don't need Mears saying Letang turns over the puck. I can **** sure see that with my own eyes.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:09 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:

Too bad this wasn't an option. I'd have voted for this one. I don't need Mears saying Letang turns over the puck. I can **** sure see that with my own eyes.

Play-by-play is important on radio. Play-by-play is not important on tv.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:31 pm

Jim wrote:
stonewizard51 wrote:

Play-by-play is important on radio. Play-by-play is not important on tv.

I don't mind Mears' commentary, it's fine.

But the man needs excitement in his voice when there's cause for it. And he's got a pretty flat intonation, which doesn't make him interesting to listen to even when the game's as exciting as it gets in the season.

Errey can bring that excitement, but he persistently does it at the wrong times. When the Pens trail by 2, he'll get excited over a hit somewhere along the boards. His fascination with that then doesn't stop, even when the Pens then trail by 3. He'll talk about the goal against briefly, then get right back on it....

Most games start 1AM in my timezone, so I sometimes nod off later in the game. I like being waking up to a breakaway, a player going one on one. I don't like waking up and all the noise being about something insignificant. :pop:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Both Steigerwald and Mears have a tough act to follow because they are compared to the greatest sports announcer ever, Mike Lange. Everyone pales in comparison to him. Steiger was alright as play by play. Better as color, even though he is a total homer. Mears is fine and will get better. Boutique is great on radio color. Errey is alright. I wouldn’t replace any of them. They are Pittsburgh guys and I like them. I would love to hear Lange and Steigerwald do a game together for a throwback night.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sams_Dog on Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:47 pm

Both Steigerwald and Mears have a tough act to follow because they are compared to the greatest sports announcer ever, Mike Lange. Everyone pales in comparison to him. Steiger was alright as play by play. Better as color, even though he is a total homer. Mears is fine and will get better. Boutique is great on radio color. Errey is alright. I wouldn’t replace any of them. They are Pittsburgh guys and I like them. I would love to hear Lange and Steigerwald do a game together for a throwback night.
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:23 pm

I know I'm in the minority but I'll take Steigy and Bibs. Steigy loves the Pens. I like homerism when I'm watching. That's why it's the "home team broadcast". Hate games on NBC. I wouldn't mind Josh getting a crack. He's fantastic on radio road games with Bourque. And I love Bourque cause he's not timid about calling guys out when they screw the pooch.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby battleship kelly on Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:16 pm

Dan Kelly and claude larose
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:05 am

I voted to keep it as is. Now, about Dan Potash...
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:51 am

Mears is vanilla, but at least he doesn't scream his goal calls. There is nothing more annoying when hearing radio highlights from across the league than the screaming some do when the puck goes in. Washington, Philadelphia and Tampa immediately come to mind.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby BitterClinger on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:46 am

Phill the thrill can fire the pill!?!?

Lest we forget how Hobey Baker went down...

Mears is doing a fine job, lets not go back to that. Steigy does great on the post game radio show when every stops listening.
BitterClinger

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins