Game 66 vs Isles - Thougths from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 66 vs Isles - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:54 am

Pens win 3-2 in OT

- Sid comes through in the clutch, scoring like a boss in OT, shattering the 50 save "Cinderella story, kid outta Finland, former...." all for naught, Pens VICTORY!
- Thanks the hockey gods for a slumping and horribly run Isles team, just what the Pens needed to break out of their slump. Pens fans should hold up signs "Snow must NOT go"...
- Huge PK in OT to setup the win. Isles PP'ers got greedy and stayed out too long
- Give Jarry credit, after that ridonkulous first goal on the stumblewhatever.... that had to knock Tristan's confidence, but he kept Pens in there
- Brassard finally gets off the schneid and played his best game as a Penguin, hope to see continued improvement
- Ruhwedel looked alright, rusty but showed really good jump, joined the rush and even hit a few guys.
- With Horny & Brassard knocking on the 20 goal milestone, that would make 6 forwards with 20, a very well rounded offensive team
- Congrats to Letang on setting the all time pens assist mark by Dmen getting his 333'rd assist, if only Dicky Tarnstrom could have stuck around :pop:
- Congrats to Phil on his 400 career assist!
- Another comeback, not something you keep wanting to see, but its the kind of resilience you need to win come playoff time
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 66 vs Isles - Thougths from the Morning After

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 am

Ruhwedel looked fine. I know you all cannot stand me treating Hunwick like Ryan Whitney version 2.0, but the fact is Ruhwedel adds a dynamic by being another righthander on the blue line. Is he the best ever? No, but as long as Hunwick continues to play poorly, it is always good practice to let him eat some popcorn in the press box while watching Ruhwedel. Maybe this will light a fire under his....
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:05 am

pronovost19 wrote:Ruhwedel looked fine. I know you all cannot stand me treating Hunwick like Ryan Whitney version 2.0, but the fact is Ruhwedel adds a dynamic by being another righthander on the blue line. Is he the best ever? No, but as long as Hunwick continues to play poorly, it is always good practice to let him eat some popcorn in the press box while watching Ruhwedel. Maybe this will light a fire under his....

You also have to ensure that your #7 dmanis not rusty, like playing since Dec. xx like Chad had.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:07 am

pronovost19 wrote:Ruhwedel looked fine. I know you all cannot stand me treating Hunwick like Ryan Whitney version 2.0, but the fact is Ruhwedel adds a dynamic by being another righthander on the blue line. Is he the best ever? No, but as long as Hunwick continues to play poorly, it is always good practice to let him eat some popcorn in the press box while watching Ruhwedel. Maybe this will light a fire under his....

It's one game, and a shot blowout so it is a bit hard to judge, but Ruhwedel looked better. Not even looking at the stats.....he just LOOKED better. Ruhwedel's strength is that he keeps it simple and he knows how to stay within himself. He knows he isn't great, but he tries to play to his strengths as best he can. He's going to get beat sometimes, but he is usually pretty solid.

I feel like Matt Hunwick had one of the longest leashes ever. If Hunwick was Derrick Pouliot, he would have been yanked long ago. Again, it was one game. I want to see Ruhwedel remain through CGY, PHI, and TOR, and see if the opinion remains. If it does, then GMJR should be looking to move on from Hunwick this summer, if possible. You can keep saying his skating, mobility, and passing are great.....maybe they are, but actual playing defense is sub-standard. If he hasn't fit in 60 games into a season, he likely won't fit in at all.

Some players take longer to fit in. Gonchar struggled his first year here. But, for a #6 d-man, I don't think the leash should be as long as it has been.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:36 am

FLPensFan wrote:

It's one game, and a shot blowout so it is a bit hard to judge, but Ruhwedel looked better. Not even looking at the stats.....he just LOOKED better. Ruhwedel's strength is that he keeps it simple and he knows how to stay within himself. He knows he isn't great, but he tries to play to his strengths as best he can. He's going to get beat sometimes, but he is usually pretty solid.

I feel like Matt Hunwick had one of the longest leashes ever. If Hunwick was Derrick Pouliot, he would have been yanked long ago. Again, it was one game. I want to see Ruhwedel remain through CGY, PHI, and TOR, and see if the opinion remains. If it does, then GMJR should be looking to move on from Hunwick this summer, if possible. You can keep saying his skating, mobility, and passing are great.....maybe they are, but actual playing defense is sub-standard. If he hasn't fit in 60 games into a season, he likely won't fit in at all.

Some players take longer to fit in. Gonchar struggled his first year here. But, for a #6 d-man, I don't think the leash should be as long as it has been.

You made a very good point in that Hunwick was given a very long leash. A luxury not afforded to players with more talent. Is that because of the 3 year contract that he was given, GMJR knowing they weren't going to resign Cole, HCMS preferring mobile puck moving defensemen or some combo of several factors?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:40 am

NYI are 3 points out from WC2 (CAR has a game in hand). Of the five teams competing for that spot (CAR, NYR, COL, FLA, NYI) they're trending the worst, 2-6-2 for the last 10. They're not good right now.

- We scored 3 on 50 shots. Disturbing. Pucks need to go away from the goaltender's logo. Their goalie wasn't a miracle worker, shot quality needs some work. Doesn't matter if you score 3 out of 50 or 3 out of 4 though, a goal's a goal.
- Grats to Brassard for getting his first as a Penguin! :thumb: A very Hörnqvist'esque goal.
- Anyone complaining to Hörnqvist's contract, his goal is why he gets paid. Very timely PP, good goal from Patric's office.
- Play Ruhwedel. Not a miracle worker, but very serviceable.
- Did anyone miss Rowney? Sheary on the fourth is an upgrade over Rowney.
- If Sheary's first name was Daniel, they'd have found a way to get him to Wheeling by now.
- Letang is looking better again.
- Oleksiak/Schultz. I find this both intriguing and terrifying in equal measure. I can't say I blame Rig for that goal, bad bounce.
- Tristan Jarry. :face: I do blame him for that first goal. That's about the one thing you're not allowed to do as a goalie - get yourself out of position to make *any* save. Kudos to the team for picking him up after that. Thumbs up for to TJ for responding after that.
- Crosby was the man with that winner.
- 4 on 3 PK in OT was great. They got nothing. PK is just better without #37.

Odd game against a non-contender imo. They did stick with it and carried away 2 points.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:54 am

I don't see it as a long leash as much as a reclamation project with Hunwick. They're stuck with him, so need to have him work through his deficiencies. If it hadn't be for the injury to Chad and the issues between Sully and Ian, I think he'd have far less than the games played that he has. Even still, he's played only 8 more games than Chad who missed an extended amount of time due to injury, and played fewer games than Cole.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:07 pm

Jarry s a mini Flower! That early bad goal, but able to regroup and focus.
For a sad moment I thought Sid was going to pass over to Schultz, thanks Sid!
Congratulations Kristopher Letang, only yesterday he was the pick after Sidney.
Go strong into Philly, get two more tomorrow.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby midd on Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:05 pm

Gotta give credit to their goalie, Gibson. He stood tall under the barrage of shots. Jarry came up with some key saves after literally stumbling early on. I really thought he was goingto be rattled the rest of the game.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:58 pm

Too soon for magic number ? 26?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins