Rutherford did make hard run at McDonagh

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rutherford did make hard run at McDonagh

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:12 am

According to Larry Brooks, the Lightning, Capitals, Panthers and Penguins were the 4 most serious suitors for Ryan McDonagh.

Says the Caps would have needed to pull in a 3rd team, and could not get that done.
The Panthers came into the fray very late, and would not or could not make a tempting enough offer (I had heard Rangers wanted Owen Tippett).
The Lightning would not have gotten McDonagh if they did not finally submit to the Rangers demands for Libor Hajek included in the deal.

As for the Penguins: "Gentleman Jim Rutherford was persistent, and perhaps even a pest, in his attempt to bring Ryan McDonagh to Pittsburgh, we’re told, but the Penguins never did cobble together an offer that was worth consideration."

I'm guessing it likely would have needed to include Sprong and at least one solid roster player.

From https://nypost.com/2018/03/04/islanders-baffling-strategy-gives-fans-good-reason-to-wonder/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site%20buttons&utm_campaign=site%20buttons , middle to bottom of the article.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Rutherford did make hard run at McDonagh

Postby longtimefan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:35 am

I'm not the biggest fan of Larry Brooks, but I definitely believe that JR inquired, and was a pest until the deal was complete. He also suggests the Pens were never really in the running. JR is a good GM, and I believe he does his due diligence with every player. For what it's worth, many seem to believe the Rangers did very well in the deal. I have no idea how they were going to pull off the cap gymnastics, and it definitely would have involved more roster shuffling. JR said he was really only in on depth moves on Monday. I think there's truth in both. No doubt he inquired, but I tend to believe that Brooks is making it sound more serious than it actually got. Just my opinion. One of the stated goals was to keep the team intact as much as possible, and they had been playing lights out. You already moved out Cole and Reaves to bring in Brassard. I'm sure he would have made more moves if he thought it would help, but I suspect he was very reluctant to change the dynamics of the team any more than necessary. I also wonder where it would have left Hornqvist's new contract. The Brassard move with the cap was brilliant, but I don't see adding another $4.7M cap hit for next season.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jim on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:02 pm

"...never did cobble together an offer that was worth consideration." ..a hard run at?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:05 pm

Jim wrote:"...never did cobble together an offer that was worth consideration." ..a hard run at?

Being a pain in the a** by continuing calling the Rangers GM about McDonagh might be considered a hard run by some, especially coming from that a** clown Larry Brooks.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:21 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Jim wrote:"...never did cobble together an offer that was worth consideration." ..a hard run at?

Being a pain in the a** by continuing calling the Rangers GM about McDonagh might be considered a hard run by some, especially coming from that a** clown Larry Brooks.

Working the phone isn't the same as making a hard run at someone. Being willing to increasingly give up more and more assets in return would qualify. Never getting close to a deal-worthy offer, is not.

I know I could call a local BMW dealer and offer him a packet of crisps for an i8, then two packets, then two packets and a used pencil..

Something tells me I won't get a car out of it.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghThing on Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:05 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:
pens_CT wrote:

Working the phone isn't the same as making a hard run at someone. Being willing to increasingly give up more and more assets in return would qualify. Never getting close to a deal-worthy offer, is not.

I know I could call a local BMW dealer and offer him a packet of crisps for an i8, then two packets, then two packets and a used pencil..

Something tells me I won't get a car out of it.

But you would be a pest! :wink:
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:18 pm

My thing is you go hard after McDonagh because you think you need to improve defensively and when you don't acquire him you don't acquire anyone else?
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:My thing is you go hard after McDonagh because you think you need to improve defensively and when you don't acquire him you don't acquire anyone else?

I think Brooks is way overstating things, but what other defenseman was moved who is a clear upgrade to what we already have? We don't know about anybody who wasn't moved, but we know nobody else found an offer to their liking. You can debate on whether or not they could have found a way to keep Cole, but, after he was traded, I'm not sure there really was much of an upgrade available. Especially with the cap situation. Even after Cole was included, the Brassard deal was originally nixed because of cap intervention. At the end of the day, I assume JR was as comfortable with what the Pens have in WBS as opposed to bringing in a Schenn, Benn, or Conauton. To do anything more would have caused more changes to your roster, which they were trying to avoid as much as possible. The last team to win the cup before the Pens were the Hawks in 2015. They won while really only playing four defenseman. Oduya played more than 24 minutes a game, Hjalmarsson over 25, Seabrook over 26, and Keith with 31. Check out the rest of the playoff roster. The Pens are in better shape than they were. Every team has an achilles heal, especially in the cap era. If the Pens biggest issue is who the 6th defenseman is going to be, they're in better shape than most.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2015.html
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:37 pm

longtimefan wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:My thing is you go hard after McDonagh because you think you need to improve defensively and when you don't acquire him you don't acquire anyone else?

I think Brooks is way overstating things, but what other defenseman was moved who is a clear upgrade to what we already have? We don't know about anybody who wasn't moved, but we know nobody else found an offer to their liking. You can debate on whether or not they could have found a way to keep Cole, but, after he was traded, I'm not sure there really was much of an upgrade available. Especially with the cap situation. Even after Cole was included, the Brassard deal was originally nixed because of cap intervention. At the end of the day, I assume JR was as comfortable with what the Pens have in WBS as opposed to bringing in a Schenn, Benn, or Conauton. To do anything more would have caused more changes to your roster, which they were trying to avoid as much as possible. The last team to win the cup before the Pens were the Hawks in 2015. They won while really only playing four defenseman. Oduya played more than 24 minutes a game, Hjalmarsson over 25, Seabrook over 26, and Keith with 31. Check out the rest of the playoff roster. The Pens are in better shape than they were. Every team has an achilles heal, especially in the cap era. If the Pens biggest issue is who the 6th defenseman is going to be, they're in better shape than most.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/CHI/2015.html

Well let's hope the defensemen make it through the playoffs relatively injury free. Otherwise if someone on the top four go down for any length of time, then we will see what kind of replacements are available within the organization.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:48 am

Brooks's reporting isn't always accurate even when there's evidence captured on multiple game cameras at multiple angles - so for me it's difficult to believe him especially when there is no evidence.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 am

Mackey had a small snippet in his 20 thoughts today. Nothing specific on McDonagh, but Rutherford's plan was to add a defenseman at the deadline. That's why there was extra cap room left. Rutherford said they had offers out for at least 3 defenseman, where Rutherford felt his offers were better than what they were moved for. I have to think McDonagh WAS NOT someone they had a winning offer. What is funny though is, there really weren't even 3 quality defenseman moved (leaving out McDonagh). I was wondering about Oduya, and forgot he was actually a waiver claim.

My guesses: Mike Reilly and Brandon Davidson were two guys Rutherford made offers on. I wouldn't doubt if Jordie Benn, who didn't get moved, was one of the others, as was widely reported. Joe Morrow was the only other NHL type guy moved. The rest of the defenseman were more fringe NHL guys, more AHL depth filler.

Mike Reilly went for a 2019 5th.
Davidson went for a 2019 3rd.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:11 am

I get the feeling that Mackey makes up more stuff that he reports than actual facts. Mackey's credibility is probably below Eklund's.

But, running with it... If Rutherford offered better than a 5th for Reilly and he was moved to Montreal anyway, that would say a lot about the relationship between Rutherford and Fletcher.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:34 am

Jim wrote:I get the feeling that Mackey makes up more stuff that he reports than actual facts. Mackey's credibility is probably below Eklund's.

But, running with it... If Rutherford offered better than a 5th for Reilly and he was moved to Montreal anyway, that would say a lot about the relationship between Rutherford and Fletcher.

I think your view of Mackey is quite harsh, but it is your opinion. Mackey is the same guy that first called the Sheahan to Penguins long before it happened, and stuck to his guns when everyone shot it down, until it did finally happen. Mackey and Yohe are the only two local guys I have seen that have regular conversations with Rutherford.

In terms of the deals, one thing there is that both Reilly and Davidson were picks that were in next year's draft. Rutherford could have offered picks this year, or prospects, or whatever.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:22 pm

Pens got in, because at worst they knew they would drive up the price.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:33 am

According to TIOPS, Rangers ask for McDonagh started with Guentzel.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:According to TIOPS, Rangers ask for McDonagh started with Guentzel.

I like Guentzel, especially at his salary... but I would have been willing to do McDonagh and Miller for Guentzel. :pop:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins