Game 68 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 68 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:17 pm

Pens win 5-2

- So Connor Sheary woke up, hell he even scored two goals.. of course, he was falling down when scoring BOTH... He is no where near as bad as some say, glad he's coming around (but still falling down)
- Flip side is that Rust is hurt. Happ left his skates, made contact with head... spin the wheel of justice NHL... :thumbdown:
- Oleksiak seems to be a "streaky" dman... Sometimes he makes the plays he attempts, sometimes he doesn't. If he can get more consistent, he could be the biggest add this year
- Malkin empty net goal shows just how good he is, a turn around shot hitting dead center net without seemingly even looking.. now 2 pts back of Kucherov & 2 goals back of Ovi.... MVP
- Jarry had a decent game again. I'd ride him and get him established as #2, cause you never know if the Pens will need him come playoff time
- Guentzel was skating very well last night, passed by a few Flyers with ease on wide rushes.... He's rounding into form at the right time
- So the big question is Rust.... how badly hurt is he? Pens will miss him... might this bring Sprong back (especially if Simon is also banged up)
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 68 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby sergei on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Maybe this is not quite on topic -- but I was really disconcerted by having to watch NBC and hear Milbury pontificate!
sergei
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:18 pm

sergei wrote:Maybe this is not quite on topic -- but I was really disconcerted by having to watch NBC and hear Milbury pontificate!

Pierre McGuire was even more annoying than usual. He needs a word to replace phenomenal.

Malkin passes 2 feet to get out of the zone......that pass was phenomenal
Jarry stops the puck going around the boards.....what a phenomenal move
Maa-Ta was phenomenal
Crosby gets 1100 points....phenomenal (okay, that actually was phenomenal)

Or, to the Eagles meathead

"We play on ice, the game is....fast and....phenomenal"
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:28 pm

Daniel wrote:
sergei wrote:Maybe this is not quite on topic -- but I was really disconcerted by having to watch NBC and hear Milbury pontificate!

Pierre McGuire was even more annoying than usual. He needs a word to replace phenomenal.

Maa-Ta was phenomenal

haha exactly. I like that he's enthusiastic actually, but maybe be more selective. "see how that defenseman just safely banked it off the glass when he had no other options, that player gets it". yes pierre, he does. Just like many other defensemen who currently play on a squirt or pee-wee team.

Also, did you all know that Matt Cullen once played for the Baltimore Bandits in the AHL? :lol:
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby wondermoose on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Sure, bring on an NFL player for a couple minutes, talk differences between hockey and football, make a joke about being able to fight, whatever.

BUT HAVE HIM THERE FOR AN ENTIRE PERIOD?!

That was beyond painful. NBC broadcasts are already a dumpster fire, but having to cringe my way through a third of my favorite hockey matchup was the worst (relative to watching hockey, of course).

Otherwise, defensemen played really well. Letang got walked on a goal and was caught staring and flat-footed a few other times, but removing Hunwick has worked magic. If this team can ever manage to stop turning pucks over at inopportune times, they've got a serious shot. Maybe that will be the last step to waking from the 2-Cup hangover.

Patience with Brassard. He's the right player, but it'll take a few games.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Daniel on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:49 pm

Steve wrote:
Daniel wrote:

Maa-Ta was phenomenal

haha exactly. I like that he's enthusiastic actually, but maybe be more selective. "see how that defenseman just safely banked it off the glass when he had no other options, that player gets it". yes pierre, he does. Just like many other defensemen who currently play on a squirt or pee-wee team.

Also, did you all know that Matt Cullen once played for the Baltimore Bandits in the AHL? :lol:

I get that his audience isn't really us, but the people new to hockey or checking it out to see if they want to be fans. I can understand that, but he's just boring. He appeals to the casual fan, but doesn't really sell the sport in a way that would increase an audience base.

He's more of a commercial for the sport than someone who promotes it.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:56 pm

--Jarry was very good again. He probably should caught and frozen the puck prior to the 2nd goal, but other than that, nothing to complain about.
--It seemed like the Pens flipped the proverbial switch about halfway through the 2nd period, and the Flyers couldn't hang with them once they did.
--As I mentioned in the game thread last night, Sheary-Crosby-Guentzel seems to be a combo that waxes and wanes. If they're about to enter a hot streak, by all means ride that, but also acknowledge the inevitability that they will cool off and defensive lapses will overshadow their offensive contributions at some point.
--I'd think about putting Sheahan back on the 3rd line. I know Brassard was acquired to THE 3C, but that line was producing more with Sheahan previously, and Sheahan individually might be playing better than Brassard right now. Brassard might also be more capable of creating offense on his own on the 4th as compared to Sheahan.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:36 pm

- Crosby racks up 3 assists and his 1100th point
- Sheary picks up the load with 2 goals
- Geno on fire again. The backdoor to Kessel on the PP was sweet!
- Jarry let in 2 but also made some great saves.
- Pens demolish Flyers in just a workmanlike fashion. It was men against boys.

If you ever doubted what HCMS brings to the Penguins, last night’s game was a vivid reminder of it – grace under pressure. The Pens score the opening goal and then watch the Flyers come back to score 2 (1 fluke, 1 weak one). Under Bylsma, the game would have been lost and worse yet, if we were to face the Flyers in the playoffs, a tone would have been set. Bryan Rust is boarded and knocked out of the game. Sullivan just flips Sheary onto the 1st line and he responds with 2 goals.

After the game, Mike Milbury was whining (Remember “Waah, waah, waah!”? :lol: ) that the game didn’t have the passion of a rivalry? Yeah Mike, exactly. :roll: The Pens went out there and ignored the goon tactics and played hard. I think Milbury is sorry the Pens don't react emotionally to the Flyers any more. They just go out there and destroy them, at home, on national TV. :fist:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:38 pm

Mute the TV and listen to Pens radio.

Hate the Flyers.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:43 pm

Durbano wrote: Hate the Flyers.

Ditto.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Durbano wrote:Mute the TV and listen to Pens radio.

Hate the Flyers.

I did that for awhile but get so distracted trying to get it to sync up I just put the TV back on. I wish there was an app that did it automatically. (hmmmm)
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Weegie on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:41 pm

What stood out to me was the great passing by the Pens, especially on the power play, they were whipping that puck around to each other and later in the game I realized they were just toying with the Cryers, just showing them who was the more skilled team and who was boss! And you notice they hardly do the dump and chase, they will try to carry it in over the line and wait to make some passes to each other rather than dump in and try to chase it, that is confidence and great puck control!

When it hit 2-1 Cryers I'll be honest I doubted for a few seconds, then realized "we have seen this movie before", and soon after not only tied it but went ahead to stay, and I was so happy for Sheary, he has taken some lumps lately but I like the kid and his energy and he does have a knack for scoring some huge goals, I hope they keep him with Sid until he cools off again. And I hope they work on Jarry really clamping down on the puck with his glove hand, get in there and get it, that would have prevented the one goal but he seems to be gaining confidence with each game and doesn't seem to be flopping around wildly anymore, I am sure they are working with him on his positioning. Having him in there while Murray is out reminds me of when John Elway was hurt in 1998 and Bubby Brister was qb for the Broncos, they told him "here are the keys to the Ferrari, just don't crash it!", same here for Jarry, just keep things rolling until the starter gets back in there!

ANYTIME I see them beat the Cryers I like it, only live 55 miles away from Philly and this morning there were NO articles in the local Allentown paper about the game, and I know they will use the snow we had as an excuse because they didn't even have the score listed (said late game?), but if the Cryers would've won they surely would've squeezed an article in there! HA!!!

And I wish that ref would've left Oleksiak go so he could've pounded that Cryer who was hassling Guentzel, but I'm sure the ref knew what would've happened if he did!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:52 pm

I was disappointed that NBC didn't really seem to comment much on the fact that Sid hit the 1100 point marker. Ovie gets 40 goals for a season and they're drooling about it. Sid gets 1100 in 850 games, hardly a mention. Didn't hear any discussion on NHL radio this morning (although I missed three stars, so it may have been mentioned then). But I guess his milestones now are mostly presumed.

I'm still hoping Sid finishes with at least 8 points more than Ovie at the end of the season to take over the most points for an active player since the lockout.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:57 pm

These are not your Father's Flyers. GM and coach have turned them into a normal team, (maybe not Manning). The way the Flyers played the third, it looked like they were all shoveling snow to get out of their driveway yesterday. They had nothing left in the tank.

Our first round opponent could be Washington, Philadelphia, Columbus, Florida, New Jersey. They all have elements that scare me.

I know there was a debate about the Hagg boarding on Rust penalty. But Hagg could have killed Rust. Hopefully, a short term UBI.

What's up with the penalties? I thought two weeks ago, we would never see another power play.

Rough night at times for Brassard. But, he'll figure it out. That guy has skills and vision.

Rolling three lines in the third made us more dangerous.

Must have killed the local writers to make Sid the number 1 star.

That NFL guy must have brought in 2 or 3 new fans to the NHL.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:36 pm

It seemed like every time I noticed Ruhwedel, it was for something good. Kinda the opposite for Brassard last night. Patience I guess.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MWW on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:11 pm

Mango Salsa wrote:
Durbano wrote:Mute the TV and listen to Pens radio.

Hate the Flyers.

I did that for awhile but get so distracted trying to get it to sync up I just put the TV back on. I wish there was an app that did it automatically. (hmmmm)

That was the way I watched the Stanley cup finals.
It was worth it.
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:20 pm

Weegie wrote:What stood out to me was the great passing by the Pens, especially on the power play, they were whipping that puck around to each other and later in the game I realized they were just toying with the Cryers, just showing them who was the more skilled team and who was boss! And you notice they hardly do the dump and chase, they will try to carry it in over the line and wait to make some passes to each other rather than dump in and try to chase it, that is confidence and great puck control!

Passing
Yes! The passing was good this game. I've made comments about it for the past.. I dunno... 5-6 games? Where it took enormous effort for almost everyone to find someone in black and gold. A lot better last night, though we did get hemmed in for stretches.

Brassard...
Stick with it. This guy's going to get his legs moving and connect pucks to tape. Sheahan adapted too after a while.

Sheary
He was tumbling, but FINALLY not fumbling. If Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary clicks again, keep him there for a bit. He's not off the hook for being a complete traffic pylon for a third of the season. It'll take more to redeem himself and his 3M contract. Hope he can turn it around, but one game isn't a sample size.

Rust
Massive healing vibes to Rusty. We need that guy. Since the start of the calendar up until the start of that Flyers game, he's been at the top of secondary scoring.

Jarry
Got beat a couple of times, but the Flyers were unable to get it in on net. Defence mostly did a decent job helping him out, but failed twice to keep it out. After that second one goes in, you get the feeling Jarry's closing the door.

Malkin
Is score. That is all.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ziggo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 pm

No Simmonds for Philthy makes a big difference I think.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ziggo on Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:27 pm

I'm watching the replay and they talked about point 1099 for a few minutes now.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins