We complain a lot......

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

We complain a lot......

Postby longtimefan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I read Gatjka's article on Pittsburgh Hockey Now today. nothing earth shattering, but did point out how we should maybe take a step back once in a while. to enjoy.

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/gajtka-g ... uins-fans/

I've followed them since 1968, so it hasn't always been roses. Many seasons where the goal was just to sneak into the playoffs. Then they drafted Lemieux. There's been plenty of off ice drama, but the Pens have been pretty dominant for the past 30 seasons. They've missed the playoffs four times in that span. Montreal has won ten cups since the Pens entered the league. The Pens and Oilers are second with five each. Our team has played more games in the last two years than any other team in history. Personal achievements? The NHLPA poll was obviously skewed because players never saw the Howes of the world. Many never saw Gretzky, perhaps even Lemieux. Still, although Gretzky ran away with the vote for greatest forward of all time, do you see who was 2nd, 3rd, and 4th? Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr. Geno gets no respect. :) How about 15 Art Ross trophies, with Malkin making a run at 16.

Hall of famers? Lemieux, Francis, Trottier, Jagr, Recchi, Mullen, Coffey, Murphy. Crosby and Malkin will get there definitely. Perhaps Kessel and Letang. How about memorable players who aren't hall of famers, but made their mark. Stevens, Tocchet, Kovalev, Hossa. Others like Straka, Lang, Guerin, Samuelsson, Kasparaitis. Goaltenders like Barrasso, Fleury, Murray. Tough guys? Laraque, Reaves.

Sadly, we are in the twilight of the Crosby/Malkin era. There's a lot of talk now about how they're doing things which are historic at their age. Sid is a kid no more. Malkin is a marvel because he's having this season at age 31. Kessel is having his best season as a 30 year old. The window is still open, but it will slam shut soon. We have no idea how long that will last. We have no idea what's around the corner.

There will be plenty of fretting and complaining over the next couple of months as the Pens try to make history. Lots of second guessing. All the way up until they're either eliminated, or lift the cup for the 3rd straight time. It's what fans do. And if they win a 3rd straight? We will be clamoring for a 4th.

To steal Gatzka's phrase, these are the good old days. We're living them. So take just a minute, sit back, and try to savor it just for a moment. You'll never see it again. You can get back to complaining and fretting afterwards. :D
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: We complain a lot......

Postby FLPensFan on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

longtimefan wrote:I read Gatjka's article on Pittsburgh Hockey Now today. nothing earth shattering, but did point out how we should maybe take a step back once in a while. to enjoy.

http://pittsburghhockeynow.com/gajtka-g ... uins-fans/

I've followed them since 1968, so it hasn't always been roses. Many seasons where the goal was just to sneak into the playoffs. Then they drafted Lemieux. There's been plenty of off ice drama, but the Pens have been pretty dominant for the past 30 seasons. They've missed the playoffs four times in that span. Montreal has won ten cups since the Pens entered the league. The Pens and Oilers are second with five each. Our team has played more games in the last two years than any other team in history. Personal achievements? The NHLPA poll was obviously skewed because players never saw the Howes of the world. Many never saw Gretzky, perhaps even Lemieux. Still, although Gretzky ran away with the vote for greatest forward of all time, do you see who was 2nd, 3rd, and 4th? Lemieux, Crosby, Jagr. Geno gets no respect. :) How about 15 Art Ross trophies, with Malkin making a run at 16.

Hall of famers? Lemieux, Francis, Trottier, Jagr, Recchi, Mullen, Coffey, Murphy. Crosby and Malkin will get there definitely. Perhaps Kessel and Letang. How about memorable players who aren't hall of famers, but made their mark. Stevens, Tocchet, Kovalev, Hossa. Others like Straka, Lang, Guerin, Samuelsson, Kasparaitis. Goaltenders like Barrasso, Fleury, Murray. Tough guys? Laraque, Reaves.

Sadly, we are in the twilight of the Crosby/Malkin era. There's a lot of talk now about how they're doing things which are historic at their age. Sid is a kid no more. Malkin is a marvel because he's having this season at age 31. Kessel is having his best season as a 30 year old. The window is still open, but it will slam shut soon. We have no idea how long that will last. We have no idea what's around the corner.

There will be plenty of fretting and complaining over the next couple of months as the Pens try to make history. Lots of second guessing. All the way up until they're either eliminated, or lift the cup for the 3rd straight time. It's what fans do. And if they win a 3rd straight? We will be clamoring for a 4th.

To steal Gatzka's phrase, these are the good old days. We're living them. So take just a minute, sit back, and try to savor it just for a moment. You'll never see it again. You can get back to complaining and fretting afterwards. :D

I started following the team in the early 80's, before Lemieux was drafted. I think the biggest shock, especially for the swell of fans that only came on board in the early 90's when they were dominating, will be life without a generational talent. Pittsburgh as a team has had a player win the Art Ross 15 times. That's about double the next closest teams (EDM, BOS, MTL, CHI). From Mario to Jagr to Mario again to Crosby and Malkin, this team has been quite fortunate to have had 4 generational talents playing in succession. There has been very little time without one of those players on the roster. There is NO OTHER TEAM in the NHL that has been that fortunate.

Penguins fans are going to have to remember that in another 4-6 years when Sid and Geno are starting to wind down in their careers. And while the Penguins may be able to draft a superstar player after some lean years when Sid and Geno is gone, there is no guarantee of getting a generational type talent. It could be 20 years before that happens again. It could be never.

Enjoy what we have. It doesn't last forever.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:18 pm

So lucky we are
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby RentedMule66 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm about the same as FLPF as I started following the team the year before Lemieux's draft....Everything that's been said is so true, but hey.....let's keep it rolliln'. Who's to say in 5 or 6 years when Sid and Geno are about done we don't get the "next one" again??. Lightning has struck quite a few times over the last 30+ years so lets keep the karma, juju, whatever going.... :thumb: :thumb: :D :fist: :scared: 8-) :lol:
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:29 am

I have enjoyed the past two regular seasons as much or more than any others since I began following the team in the early 1970s. (This is quickly becoming an old-guy thread.) Two long victory laps.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:12 am

The Pens have had at least one of Lemieux, Jagr, Crosby, or Malkin, on their roster every season since 1984-85. That's 34 years! Those of who followed the team before Lemieux carry a totally different perspective. One of the neatest things is the marriage of the eras, largely because Mario bought the team. Tocchet is hired as an assistant before we get a head coach, Recchi replaces him. Stevens is brought back again. There's also some happenstance. I'm not sure how Mario hooked up with Larouche, but I got a bit sentimental when I saw Mario and Pierre embracing in the box after Hornqvist clinched the Cup in San Jose. Then there's the GM. My lasting, indelible, memory of Jimmy Rutherford as a player, is him looking back, with Tim Horton beside him on his knees, as Pit Martin scored to eliminate the Pens in the 1972 playoffs...... It just all comes together. :) I've been attending games since 1975, and have had season tickets since 1985. From a hockey fans perspective, I have been blessed beyond words. Watching one generational player after another for 34 straight years! Five Cups! I do try to savor it once in a while. It just isn't normal!!
Last edited by longtimefan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Weegie on Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:03 am

Great thread and very true, like the saying goes "you don't know what you had until it is gone" so take the time to enjoy the GREAT success the team has been having over these many years.

And as they have done so well these last few years in particular I often think about how this team came within a whisker MANY times of being sold or disbanded or bankrupt, so so close to not ever having these great teams and memories to enjoy....
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:56 am

I remember seeing a photo in the PGH press or PG, of Mario at the old PGH airport.
Waiting for his luggage, coming back from LA and his back recovery. He looked like he carried the weight of the team X 10. It is for the last game in 1990 v Buffalo. Getting Jaromir / Mullen / Trottier, et al haven't looked back with the quality. The dark years happened because of finances- fingers - crossed the penguin business foundation will last my life time.
Like somebody wrote - with the pens it is an all-star game every game.
Sidney & Evgeni; generational talents who also have the personalities & leadership to make their partnership thrive.
Good times!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby longtimefan on Sat Mar 10, 2018 12:31 pm

Tony Liberati. A name probably very few people on here know. He does have a minority stake in the Pens right now. I had an opportunity to meet him a few years ago, and he was a very personable gentleman, with an untold number of fascinating stories to tell. He was totally legit. I checked him out as much as I could. The Stanley Cup ring he was wearing was a pretty good credibility check to begin with. He has five of them now. To go along with five Super Bowl rings. Why should every Pens fan know who he is? He possibly has had more influence on the team staying in Pittsburgh than any other individual.

Tony is now 84 years old. He was a banking executive for Equibank back in the 1970's. The Pens were in financial trouble, and Equibank had a stake in the team. Tony's task was to help the bank find investors. He had been working with a Youngstown developer named Edward Debartolo. He convinced him that it would be a good add to his portfolio. They must have loved him, since he became CFO of the Debartolo Corporation. The 49ers supplied the Super Bowl rings.

He was at the table when Mario was drafted, and became part of Mario's inner circle. After Baldwin purchased the team, he advised Mario against signing the personal services contract with Baldwin. He had foresight. Once it became apparent that Mario could lose pretty much all of his deferred payments, he got together with Jay Greenburg and Tom Grealish about putting an investment team together. They brought Liberati in to help put together a group. Tony set up a meeting for Mario with a business associate of his from California. His name was Ron Burkle.

I just wanted his name to be mentioned. He was fascinating to talk to, and his relationship with the team pre-dates Lemieux by several years. He saved them before Mario came to town. When they needed saved again, he was the one with the contacts. You never hear his name. I said to him, so you basically are really the person who saved the Pens. Not once, but twice. He just smiled. You could tell he was proud. I was just happy to be able to personally thank him. Tony Liberati. A name we should know.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sp ... mario7.htm
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby djlm on Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:27 pm

Solid thread. LET'S GO PENS
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby theblackarts on Sat Mar 10, 2018 3:54 pm

I've been preaching this all year. We are in the best of times for sure. The second coming of the golden years. Enjoy them boys and girls ;-)
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:54 pm

I know it does not fit here but man I love watching Fleury play. Just toyed with the Sabres in the shootout today
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins