Game 69 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 69 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 am

Pens lose 5-2

- In case you missed it, there is something up in Toronto with Goalie Interference calls...... This one went the Leafs way.... BIGTIME :scared: :pop: :face: :thumbdown:
- Credit Anderson with this win... he was the best goalie on the ice tonight, Pens simply have to make less mistakes
- Love that the Pens play today, get this game off their minds and right the ship with a W tonight
- I miss Ryan Reaves, seeing Polak out there taking liberties on the Captain and then Geno.
- This was a game where the Pens needed that extra jolt from a big hit or a fight, something to really get the emotion going.
- On Ice mics were picking up lots of good stuff last night, including a couple fbombs by "i think" the captain last night, he wanted this one.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 69 vs Leafs - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:53 am

--This team is slipping back to November habits. Only 1 regulation win since the trade deadline, and a .500 record over their last 8 games. I shut the game off at 4-0, so I can't comment on the end, but other than the first 5-6 minutes, the effort was pretty lousy.
--Penguins are running out of time to find 3 lines that can generate offense consistently. Right now, Malkin is carrying this team. Him and Hagelin are solid together, and he's worked well with whomever is put at RW. Even in losing games, his line appears to generate the most quality chances.
--Similar to the above, the Penguins really need to get Brassard going. Another 2-3 games, and it may be time to swap Hornqvist and Kessel. While Sullivan wants 87,71,81 on their own lines, Brassard is no slouch on his own. Not the level of the big 3, but enough to cause matchup problems. I'm just not seeing much offensive generation from this line as of yet, and 14 games from the playoffs starting.....Sully needs to get the lines settled.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:02 am

- Team had a good first 6 minutes then went to sleep defensively.
- Pens won the 3rd period but it was way too late by then.
- Disallowing Dumoulin's spectacular goal was the dagger in the heart and one of worst blown calls in a season that has featured horrible officiating. I don't think I've seen this level of clueless zebra behavior since the late 1980s. :face:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:06 am

FLPensFan wrote:--This team is slipping back to November habits. Only 1 regulation win since the trade deadline, and a .500 record over their last 8 games. I shut the game off at 4-0, so I can't comment on the end, but other than the first 5-6 minutes, the effort was pretty lousy.
--Penguins are running out of time to find 3 lines that can generate offense consistently. Right now, Malkin is carrying this team. Him and Hagelin are solid together, and he's worked well with whomever is put at RW. Even in losing games, his line appears to generate the most quality chances.
--Similar to the above, the Penguins really need to get Brassard going. Another 2-3 games, and it may be time to swap Hornqvist and Kessel. While Sullivan wants 87,71,81 on their own lines, Brassard is no slouch on his own. Not the level of the big 3, but enough to cause matchup problems. I'm just not seeing much offensive generation from this line as of yet, and 14 games from the playoffs starting.....Sully needs to get the lines settled.

I’m curious to see what Kessel would do with Crosby...
When healthy:

Aston-Reese Crosby Kessel
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
Guentzel Brassard Rust
Sheary Sheahan Kuhnhackl
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:18 am

I like both Sid and Geno's lines. I thought we played well enough to win. I think the 3rd line is a mess. Pick a center, pick some wingers and let them form some chemistry.... if it is not there try something else. It was a lot to give up for a third line center, it is a lot to give up for a fourth line center too but do what makes sense. If Sheahan has better chemistry with Kessel, put him in there instead of Brassard.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:19 am

Steve Dave wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:--This team is slipping back to November habits. Only 1 regulation win since the trade deadline, and a .500 record over their last 8 games. I shut the game off at 4-0, so I can't comment on the end, but other than the first 5-6 minutes, the effort was pretty lousy.

I’m curious to see what Kessel would do with Crosby...
When healthy:

Aston-Reese Crosby Kessel
Hagelin Malkin Hornqvist
Guentzel Brassard Rust
Sheary Sheahan Kuhnhackl

Even strength PP. Kessel and Crosby passing it back and forth without shooting, while Aston-Reese sulks in front of the crease.

The way we played that first, we didn't really "deserve" to win.

We did have a right to get a chance at a come-back effort. It was denied when the Refs overturned Dumoulin's 3-1 and engineered it to be 4-0. To go from behind by two to behind by four, with the single most god-awful call I ever saw... It galls me even now. I don't even care that the Pens played terrible D and didn't get anything offensively.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 am

The pens power play predictable- it could have given them a solid lead in the first.
Deciding to shoot at the net with under 4mins won't win many games.
I hope Coach comes back with Jarry tonight.
Jake has gone silent again. Need goals from him.
Get the 2 points back tonight, let's go pens!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

Nuff said.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:30 pm

Horrible special teams. Letang Schultz need switched on the power play. It was working.

Phil was not accurate last night.

A long night when Kapanen scores.

Forget about Kadri and Polack. We won't see these guys again. Have fun with Bruins and Lightning.

Babcock line matching at home is excellent. 11 straight wins. Plus his whining, plus Plekanec whining, plus Marner whining, plus Polack whining, plus Kadri whining, plus HNIC guys whining, plus the allowed goal on Monday night against the Leafs, paid big dividends in the second.

Brassard and Sheahan cannot play together. Figure it out tonight.

On a NPR note, WTF Marchand.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:36 pm

I wanted to be upset that this team couldn't score, but really, the Pens were the better team last night at 5v5. Whatever happened to Phil last week seems to be bugging him because he's not shooting or skating like he's capable. The Sid and the Kids 2.0 is still working well, but they really just need to start shooting the puck. It's funny - Sid is an all-time talent and knows what he needs to do, but we've also watched him for 13 years now and I'd like to think we have a good sense of where his game is at. When he passed up that shot on the 2-on-1, you just knew he's really struggling to embrace a shooter's mentality.

Also, don't put me in the camp that has buyer's remorse. Brassard is the real deal and I think people underestimate what playing in Boucher's system does to players (side note: Bobby Ryan scores 30 goals with whoever Ottawa unloads him on). You can't just turn some of that crap off. It'll happen, just have patience.

Not sure where the ref's head was at, making that call. What's worse is the NHL doesn't think it is necessary to address these situations like, oh, every other professional league.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Humperdink on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:08 pm

> I've seen goalie interference.

> I've seen goals waived off.

> I've seen goalie interference with a penalty.

Although I'm sure it's happened, I've never seen all three (3) occur on the same play. A veritable hat trick by the officials.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sjnhiils on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:21 pm

Mike Reilly is playing over 20 minutes a game for Montreal and has 5 assists in 6 games. The Pens were supposed to be one of the teams in on him. Either GMJR had his sights on someone bigger and he was gone by the time he circled back or he got stubborn with the 5th round pick. Not buying the "prices were too high" excuse you always hear when nothing happens. This team is horrible getting out of their own zone right now and someone like Reilly could have helped!!
sjnhiils
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:46 pm

I would have been OK calling the goal off after a review but to also call that a penalty was **** absurd.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:31 pm

So I am poking around the NHL.com website to see if they addressed last night's officiating embarrassment and I find nothing. Anyone see an explanation from the idiots in charge?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:41 pm

Humperdink wrote:So I am poking around the NHL.com website to see if they addressed last night's officiating embarrassment and I find nothing. Anyone see an explanation from the idiots in charge?

Don't hold your breath. The scary thing is that the NHL is clueless that they have a problem. :scared:

And they've been this way as long as I've been a fan (and longer). :face:

Mario was being kind. "Garage League" doesn't even begin to address the truth. :evil:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Humperdink wrote:So I am poking around the NHL.com website to see if they addressed last night's officiating embarrassment and I find nothing. Anyone see an explanation from the idiots in charge?

I loved how Sullivan addressed it in his post-game interview.

- Right now [...] I don't think anyone knows what's goalie interference and what isn't.
- Well if there was any contact at all, it was because he got pushed, but there was very little.

The way he says it sums it up. Trying to stick to what he can control, Sully is. Imagine if this happens to Tortorella. :scared:
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:21 pm

I mentioned some of this in the GDT, but I was listening (on Siruis) to the Leafs broadcast during the Dumo non-goal. I can't remember an opposing broadcast blast a call that went their way as much as they did after this one.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins