Penguins Pre-Game talk: Dallas 3/11/2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Penguins Pre-Game talk: Dallas 3/11/2018

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:35 pm

According to TIOPS, Penguins have interest in college free agent defensemen Daniel Brickley and Jimmy Schuldt. From I've read from others at the Athletic, just about every team has reached out to Brickley, and about 20 teams have inquired on Schuldt. Brickley is 6'3" 205 LH puck moving defenseman who is the consensus #1 college UFA defenseman. Many think he isn't very far off from the NHL.

If I were Pittsburgh, I'd send guys like Aston-Reese and Prow to a meeting, along with someone like Guerin, to sell the kid on coming to Pittsburgh. A good, young, skilled, cheap defenseman would be a nice addition.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Penguins Pre-Game talk: Dallas 3/11/2018

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Also, saw the Jamie Benn comment on Twitter about the Dumo no goal and penalty. Apparently, the other side of argument, the goalie, agrees with everyone else as well.....

Byron Dafoe
‏@ByronDafoe34
16h16 hours ago
This is absolutely absurd! The NHL is treating goalies like priceless china. Pretty soon you won’t be allowed to enter the crease. Better get it fixed before playoffs. I think it’s wrecking the game. #GoalieUnion
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Maestro on Sun Mar 11, 2018 2:02 pm

If I were Brickley I absolutely would choose Pittsburgh. There is a spot right now in the 3rd pair for his skills.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ville5 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Let's hope Brassard gets his visa issues ironed out and he can finally play.
ville5
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:39 pm

ville5 wrote:Let's hope Brassard gets his visa issues ironed out and he can finally play.

:D
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:42 pm

FLPensFan wrote:According to TIOPS, Penguins have interest in college free agent defensemen Daniel Brickley and Jimmy Schuldt. From I've read from others at the Athletic, just about every team has reached out to Brickley, and about 20 teams have inquired on Schuldt. Brickley is 6'3" 205 LH puck moving defenseman who is the consensus #1 college UFA defenseman. Many think he isn't very far off from the NHL.

If I were Pittsburgh, I'd send guys like Aston-Reese and Prow to a meeting, along with someone like Guerin, to sell the kid on coming to Pittsburgh. A good, young, skilled, cheap defenseman would be a nice addition.

Brickley sounds like Will Butcher 2.0 (except for the fact he was never drafted). Hopefully this one gets resolved quicker, and in the Penguins favor.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bardowncelly on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:47 pm

id send justin schultz, should be able to explain the importance of playing for the right team.
Bardowncelly

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:30 pm

Bardowncelly wrote:id send justin schultz, should be able to explain the importance of playing for the right team.

I mentioned ZAR and Prow because they are recent college guys that picked the Penguins, but Schultz wouldn't be bad either, as he could say I took the money and went to a crap team, then I came to Pittsburgh, rejuvenated my career, and then got more money. He could also talk up the brilliance of working with Gonchar. While not a college UFA guy, even Oleksiak could talk up Gonchar and playing for the right team too.

Penguins have a need on defense.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pens_CT on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:58 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Bardowncelly wrote:id send justin schultz, should be able to explain the importance of playing for the right team.

I mentioned ZAR and Prow because they are recent college guys that picked the Penguins, but Schultz wouldn't be bad either, as he could say I took the money and went to a crap team, then I came to Pittsburgh, rejuvenated my career, and then got more money. He could also talk up the brilliance of working with Gonchar. While not a college UFA guy, even Oleksiak could talk up Gonchar and playing for the right team too.

Penguins have a need on defense.

Schultz didn't really take the money by signing with Edmonton. He was drafted by Anaheim, didn't want to sign there, and so he became a free agent (like Butcher). He signed a base 2 year entry level deal that did have some performance bonuses included (I'm sure other teams offered those bonuses as well), but if I remember correctly he was a pretty hot ticket as a free agent, and probably went to Edmonton because he could get to the NHL quicker. He went to an organization unfortunately that didn't care about his development and threw him into the NHL because he was needed. I'm sure Brickley wants go to an organization where he can play sooner rather than later in the NHL and the Pens have a need, of course the same could have been said about Butcher and we know how that played out.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins