Game 70 vs Stars - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Game 70 vs Stars - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:39 am

Pens win 3-1

- Great team "D" on the back half of a back to back. Kudos to the team for remembering that "D" wins the big games
- Malkin had a great bounceback game and was hitting from the first shift. His 2nd half has been his best ever
- DeSmith was not tested a lot, but made the saves when they needed them. Great to keep him fresh
- Stars took some bad calls, but kudos the the Pens for skating and making the Stars frustrated
- Coach Hitchcock has got to rank up there in coaches I dislike. Any fans of his.... anywhere?
- Jooris has shown me that he can fit into this team. Decent wheels, some offensive willingness but really the desire to get back fast :thumb:
- Loved seeing the Cap find Geno for that EN goal. Geno's in the hunt and the Capt knows it..... C'mon Geno, show them your top 10 of ALL TIME
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Game 70 vs Stars - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:16 am

- I am starting to feel like if needed I would turn to DeSmith over Jarry this post-season.
- The goal that was taken back sucked, but if it means we don't get the Druin goal in game 6 reversed then I will take this one every day all day.
- Sid finding Geno for the empty netter was great.
- Hagelin is looking fantastic out there.
- Kessel and Brassard just do no have the chemistry.
- Seeing Geno, Sid and Kessel all looking at the 1 ipad had me thinking about a bunch of kids fighting over the ipad.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:46 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:- I am starting to feel like if needed I would turn to DeSmith over Jarry this post-season.
- The goal that was taken back sucked, but if it means we don't get the Druin goal in game 6 reversed then I will take this one every day all day.
- Seeing Geno, Sid and Kessel all looking at the 1 ipad had me thinking about a bunch of kids fighting over the ipad.

I think DeSmith over Jarry is a no brainer at this point.
---In 11 games played, DeSmith has not allowed more than 3 goals in any game. If you throw out the Boston game where he let up 3 goals on 5 shots, his SV% jumps from .919 to .928.
---In 25 games played, Jarry has allowed more than 3 goals 7 times, or once every 3-4 games.
---I think I'd go into next season with DeSmith as the backup and keep Jarry in WBS.
I immediately saw Sid look up to see where Geno was for the EN. It was great.
I dunno, I actually thought the 3rd line was showing a few signs of clicking tonight. I'll give it 2-3 more games.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 am

That was the most Penguinsish game they have played in a long time. Injuries and malaise slowed them last year, but this game resembled the way the Pens would finish off teams by just keeping the puck far, far away from the defensive zone. That 3rd period was glorious.

Phil is hurt and I don't like it.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:51 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:- I am starting to feel like if needed I would turn to DeSmith over Jarry this post-season.

I didn't catch the game, but I heard Hornqvist's post-game interview this morning. He said he was unaware that a team could challenge a goal if they'd already used their timeout. Was this the circumstance, and if so, how can a team challenge a goal if they don't have a timeout to be taken away in the event of it being unsuccessful? Would they have penalized the Stars? Would they have done nothing? Seems odd...but, then again, it is the NHL.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:00 am

They mentioned during the broadcast that the Stars would be penalized if they lost the challenge. On a side note, Brian Boucher sounds a lot like John Davidson.

Did anyone else get the feeling that the refs were giving the Pens a lot of soft calls knowing that they got hosed on the Dumoulin goal in Toronto?
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

Mango Salsa wrote:They mentioned during the broadcast that the Stars would be penalized if they lost the challenge. On a side note, Brian Boucher sounds a lot like John Davidson.

Did anyone else get the feeling that the refs were giving the Pens a lot of soft calls knowing that they got hosed on the Dumoulin goal in Toronto?

Thanks! I feel like they need to make up their mind: either your challenge is your timeout (unless the goal is overturned) or your team gets penalized. Not a fan of "if A, then B" and "if B, then C."
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby longtimefan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:02 am

Uh, but to forget the DeSmith meltdown against Boston. They are both young goalies, and are both inconsistent. It's nice there are two of them, so you can go with the hot hand. Jarry had won three straight games after the Boston debacle, then DeSmith stepped back in and did a nice job. In fairness though, it was probably the best defensive performance of the year in front of him. Reality says the Pens are in trouble if either has to play extended minutes in the playoffs. It will be nice to get Murray back, so we can see the full team together.

Patience. Brassard has played seven games here. The last time I recall the Pens acquiring a name center near the deadline, he struggled initially as well. Until he acclimated. Then it worked out. That was Ron Francis. Next to goaltending, center is the most important position on the ice. It carries the most responsibility. He comes here from Ottawa, which is the complete opposite in terms of style. He's asked to play less minutes than he's accustomed to. They've wanted to see him on the PK, which he's never done for any period of time in the NHL. Plus, he's to have instant chemistry with Phil. He may not develop any, but it's way to early to judge in my opinion. I've isolated on him at the games quite a bit. He's highly skilled, quick, and nifty. He's a good hockey player, with pedigree. Remember, he was a 6th overall pick himself. He was very involved in the sequence of plays that led up to Oleksiak's goal. Also remember, they haven't had a consistent presence on the left side. I personally would like to see ZAR given a chance, or maybe let ZAR play with Sid, and move Jake back. The point is, it's a work in progress. They wanted a 3rd line center so they could separate Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. I can't see them abandoning that plan anytime soon.

I certainly am not trying to belittle your points, they have some validity. Patience though. In terms of Brassard, you just picked up your 4th highest skilled forward. He arrived here two weeks ago tomorrow. He's the right guy. Just give it some time. In terms of DeSmith or Jarry. Both have been very good and very bad. Just inconsistencies of young goalies. The Pens don't have the luxury of a Fleury now. It's on Murray to stay healthy to have any real shot at the Cup. Which is true with most teams in the playoffs. Good trivia question. Who backed up MAF when we beat the Wings in 2009? It's on Matt this time around.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fat Old Frank on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:10 am

To challenge goaltender interference it is required that the team has not used its timeout. The penalty for failed goaltender interference is loss of timeout.
There appears to be no requirement to challenge a goal for offside, apparently you could challenge a goal for offside 10 times in a game. The penalty for failed offside challenge is a two minute delay of game penalty.
Being at the game I only saw minimal replays. The one I saw looked really close, like too close to call. Am I mistaken?
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Faubert5 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:12 am

Defence21 wrote:
Mango Salsa wrote:They mentioned during the broadcast that the Stars would be penalized if they lost the challenge. On a side note, Brian Boucher sounds a lot like John Davidson.

Thanks! I feel like they need to make up their mind: either your challenge is your timeout (unless the goal is overturned) or your team gets penalized. Not a fan of "if A, then B" and "if B, then C."

That was a response to all the whining that went on about overturned goals last year (especially the Predators and their bandwagon). The close offside calls weren't in the "spirit" of the rule. Sorry, you're either onside, offside, or too close to call. In two of those situations you get a goal. If a guy was two inches offside he's still offside.

They felt that losing a timeout wasn't sufficient disincentive and this way you can still challenge a call that could change the game even if you don't have a timeout. If they do change to be consistent I'd say lose a challenge take a penalty in all situations and maybe limit the number of challenges available.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:22 am

Defence21 wrote:

As usual with the NHL, it seems to be a gray area. The way I understand it:

--If you challenge a goal for goaltender interference and lose, you lose your timeout.
--If you challenge a goal for offsides, you get a 2 minute delay of game penalty.

What the NHL hasn't clarified that I am aware of is, if you have already used your timeout or lost it due to challenge, can you challenge another play? I have never seen official NHL statements on the rule changes, just Sportsnet and others reporting the change.....so, there is no official documentation that I am aware of out in the public on how the challenges work in conjunction to having no timeout, already losing a challenge, etc.

Standard Operating Procedure for the NHL. :roll:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Defence21 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:27 am

NashvilleCat wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

That was a response to all the whining that went on about overturned goals last year (especially the Predators and their bandwagon). The close offside calls weren't in the "spirit" of the rule. Sorry, you're either onside, offside, or too close to call. In two of those situations you get a goal. If a guy was two inches offside he's still offside.

They felt that losing a timeout wasn't sufficient disincentive and this way you can still challenge a call that could change the game even if you don't have a timeout. If they do change to be consistent I'd say lose a challenge take a penalty in all situations and maybe limit the number of challenges available.

Again, it should be one standard, though. If goalie interference requires a timeout to be available, the same, then, should be the case for offside. If offside can be challenged and infinite number of times, but penalized if wrong, so too, should goalie interference.

It's not difficult to figure out: A team gets one challenge per game, regardless of whether it's for goalie interference or offside. If the call on the ice is overturned as a result of the challenge, the team gets the challenge restored. If the call on the ice stands, the team cannot make another challenge and gets a 2-minute delay of game penalty. That should be sufficient enough of a deterrent not to challenge ticky-tacky stuff, while allowing teams to question truly legitimate concerns. Why does the league make this stuff so difficult?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:30 am

- Geno just had an outstanding game. He was in beast mode.
- When is the NHL going to fix that idiotic offsides rule? :face:
- I was really impressed that the Pens came out hitting and playing very aggressive defense. Their sticks were everywhere. Had they started the game "soff" they would have lost.
- And to answer a poster above: No one like Ken Hitchcock.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:31 am

longtimefan wrote:

Uh, but to forget the DeSmith meltdown against Boston. They are both young goalies, and are both inconsistent. It's nice there are two of them, so you can go with the hot hand. Jarry had won three straight games after the Boston debacle, then DeSmith stepped back in and did a nice job. In fairness though, it was probably the best defensive performance of the year in front of him. Reality says the Pens are in trouble if either has to play extended minutes in the playoffs. It will be nice to get Murray back, so we can see the full team together.

Patience. Brassard has played seven games here. The last time I recall the Pens acquiring a name center near the deadline, he struggled initially as well. Until he acclimated. Then it worked out. That was Ron Francis. Next to goaltending, center is the most important position on the ice. It carries the most responsibility. He comes here from Ottawa, which is the complete opposite in terms of style. He's asked to play less minutes than he's accustomed to. They've wanted to see him on the PK, which he's never done for any period of time in the NHL. Plus, he's to have instant chemistry with Phil. He may not develop any, but it's way to early to judge in my opinion. I've isolated on him at the games quite a bit. He's highly skilled, quick, and nifty. He's a good hockey player, with pedigree. Remember, he was a 6th overall pick himself. He was very involved in the sequence of plays that led up to Oleksiak's goal. Also remember, they haven't had a consistent presence on the left side. I personally would like to see ZAR given a chance, or maybe let ZAR play with Sid, and move Jake back. The point is, it's a work in progress. They wanted a 3rd line center so they could separate Crosby, Malkin, and Kessel. I can't see them abandoning that plan anytime soon.

I certainly am not trying to belittle your points, they have some validity. Patience though. In terms of Brassard, you just picked up your 4th highest skilled forward. He arrived here two weeks ago tomorrow. He's the right guy. Just give it some time. In terms of DeSmith or Jarry. Both have been very good and very bad. Just inconsistencies of young goalies. The Pens don't have the luxury of a Fleury now. It's on Murray to stay healthy to have any real shot at the Cup. Which is true with most teams in the playoffs. Good trivia question. Who backed up MAF when we beat the Wings in 2009? It's on Matt this time around.

I get what you are saying about patience, but there is a fine line of being patient and realizing it isn't working, and having enough time before the playoffs to find something that does work.

I'm not saying the Penguins are at that point yet, but I don't think you can wait until the end of the season and have the 3rd line still not being effective. Brassard has played 7 games so far with the Penguins. I think you give him another 2 weeks, which is 5 games, to get acclimated and show something. If the chemistry isn't there through 12 games, I think you have to move on and find something that does work with the 7 games you have left heading into the playoffs.

If you use Sheahan as an example, Sheahan had 1 assist in his first 10 games here. Then he had 9 points over his next 14 games, and was pretty consistent from that point forward. To me, I thought I saw some good things with that line tonight that they may be close. Let's see how the next two games go. If Brassard doesn't work out, it could be as simple as shifting Sheahan to 3C and Brassard to LW. Let Sheahan be the setup guy for the line and dish to Kessel and Brassard.

No need to panic yet, but ok to have some concern.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:47 am

wondermoose wrote:Phil is hurt and I don't like it.

I feel the same. If he didn't have the stupid streak, sit his butt down for a few games. Has this been confirmed anywhere or just us thinking this?
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:53 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:- And to answer a poster above: No one like Ken Hitchcock.

Thank you... the guys a &#^%@, always has been imho. Even after he was part of a coaching squad that won with Sid (Olympics), he's not been one to ever show Sid much respect. Hitchcock was coach of the Flyers when Hatcher did his hatchet job on Sid's face.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:22 am

Just couple general thoughts on Pens as of late.

I think once we get ZAR/Rust/Simon back healthy you will see more balance throughout the lineup and thus Brassard filling in quite nicely. We had ZAR go down right before Brassard got here so it put a screw in all our lines.

I think once everyone is healthy we go with something like this:

Sheary - Crosby - ZAR ---I know Sheary on first line is nuts but he seems most useful and utilized here. If Crosby needs to carry him so be it...Kunitz 2.0.
Hags - Malkin - Rust --- I know Horny has been on this line but I think Rust and Malkin have epic chemistry.
Kessel - Brassard - Horny ---I think having Horny on this line may give Brassard more freedom to roam and open up.
Simon - Sheehan - Guentzel/Knuckles/Rowney - I think Sheehan and Jake clicked before?

Just thought of balancing and what has clicked thus far. Could even flop ZAR and Jake but I was going for the balance idea.

I also think them showing teams how they can "tighten" up defensively late in games is a very good sign. They did that a lot last year leading into the playoffs.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:48 am

- Defence won this game. Despite some hit and miss, the D was solid.
- DeSmith was fine. Gave up a rebound now and then, but so do most goalies. D clears it. That 5 on 3 goal is just a really good pass. Can't help those.

- Zone exits weren't great, but credit Dallas there.
- Brassard looks like he's started settling in. On the Oleksiak goal, you could see the beginnings of a 3rd line clicking. Sheahan and Brassard making it happen.
- Kessel is hurt. He's having trouble receiving passes, passes he sends out are less likely to get through. This shifts some of the blame away from Brassard with regards to chemistry.. Really hope Phil will recover, he's highly needed.
- The second line went beast-mode. Not only Geno, but also Hagelin and Hörnqvist. All that Seguin/Malkin counter did was highlight the superiority of Geno's line.
- Fourth liners are all fighting for a roster spot. I loved the effort banging it around, hounding the puck across the ice. I think Kühnhackl will be the one with a roster spot of those three. Jooris going down (emergency call up after all), Rowney to be scratched.
- Shoot, Sid! Shoot!
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:53 am

Penspal wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:- And to answer a poster above: No one like Ken Hitchcock.

Thank you... the guys a &#^%@, always has been imho. Even after he was part of a coaching squad that won with Sid (Olympics), he's not been one to ever show Sid much respect. Hitchcock was coach of the Flyers when Hatcher did his hatchet job on Sid's face.

You are welcome. Hitchcock, Torts, Laviolette - all with starring roles in my Rogues Gallery of Coaches.

And I think Brassard is going to pay huge dividends in the playoffs. He's about to get it going.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

- 4th line earned their minutes
- Geno hot on the heels of some hardware
- Brassard is still in thinking mode v. reaction mode. He's starting to make the right plays in this North-North-North! system, but they aren't crisp yet. That's gotta be a hard enough adjustment from OTT even without trying to develop chemistry with Kessel at the same time. His D is solid. The rest will be there come playoffs. It might take that long for this system to be second nature.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Dr Rosenrosen on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:00 pm

- 4th line earned their minutes
- Geno hot on the heels of some hardware
- Brassard is still in thinking mode v. reaction mode. He's starting to make the right plays in this North-North-North! system, but they aren't crisp yet. That's gotta be a hard enough adjustment from OTT even without trying to develop chemistry with Kessel at the same time. His D is solid. The rest will be there come playoffs. It might take that long for this system to be second nature.
Dr Rosenrosen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stillerz Bar on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:23 pm

- I love that Sid looked for Geno on the EN goal. He knows how important Malkin has been in all 3 cup runs and I really believe he want Geno to get more accolades. When even the NHLN announcers talk about the ridiculousness of Malkin not making the top 100 of all time you know the snub was pretty obvious. I think Sid wants to do all he can to get Geno more into the conversation of all time greats. As long as it doesn’t negatively impact the team’s goal of winning games I have zero problem with them feeding the beast ….. Malkin is goal :)

- Question in the offsides challenge? Do they take the clock back to where the offsides happened? I couldn’t tell yesterday if we got the PP time back or if it was all for naught and we effectively lost a chunk of the PP once the offsides happened.

- I agree the DeSmith has been less prone to falling apart then Jarry. While he doesn’t always look great, he usually bounces back pretty well after giving up a goal. I expect the D to tighten up for the post season and in that situation I believe if he is needed, DeSmith can hold down the fort and win a few games for us if needed….I hope that he isn’t needed but if so I think he would suffice.

- After the game they were taking on TV about seeding and I laughed when they talked about the Caps being unable to beat the Pens and probably not being able to win the Cup if they have to pace Pittsburgh in the first round win or lose.. I believe the comment went something like “Even if the Caps could beat Pittsburgh in round one…….and they won’t…..it would be like winning the cup and they would never have enough left to win it all."

In general it feels like this team is working its way into playoff form. If they can get brassard comfortable and get Murray & Phil healed up we will once again be serious contenders to hoist the cup.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:26 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

As usual with the NHL, it seems to be a gray area. The way I understand it:

--If you challenge a goal for goaltender interference and lose, you lose your timeout.
--If you challenge a goal for offsides, you get a 2 minute delay of game penalty.

What the NHL hasn't clarified that I am aware of is, if you have already used your timeout or lost it due to challenge, can you challenge another play? I have never seen official NHL statements on the rule changes, just Sportsnet and others reporting the change.....so, there is no official documentation that I am aware of out in the public on how the challenges work in conjunction to having no timeout, already losing a challenge, etc.

Standard Operating Procedure for the NHL. :roll:

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-approves-r ... -291397888

There was an announcement. They did call it the right way. Malkin's offside didn't impact the play and the much later goal. And I'd prefer if contact with the ice wasn't necessary, just body position.

But they got it right that time. It's not an ideal rule.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:34 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Sheary - Crosby - ZAR ---I know Sheary on first line is nuts but he seems most useful and utilized here. If Crosby needs to carry him so be it...Kunitz 2.0.
Hags - Malkin - Rust --- I know Horny has been on this line but I think Rust and Malkin have epic chemistry.
Kessel - Brassard - Horny ---I think having Horny on this line may give Brassard more freedom to roam and open up.
Simon - Sheehan - Guentzel/Knuckles/Rowney - I think Sheehan and Jake clicked before?

Jake on 4th line?? really? :face:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm

Pens4Life wrote:
Pensfan4life8771 wrote:Sheary - Crosby - ZAR ---I know Sheary on first line is nuts but he seems most useful and utilized here. If Crosby needs to carry him so be it...Kunitz 2.0.

Jake on 4th line?? really? :face:

How would you construct the lines based off everyone being back and healthy?

Why not spread out the talent through all four lines and make the Pens absolutely miserable to match up against. If you put Guentzel on first line and put Sheary on the 4th he disappears for 15+ games. At least with Crosby he is relevant again and scores 2 goals against Philly. I get having Jake on 4th line isn't ideal but what other options do you suggest?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins