Penguins Pre-game talk: NY Rangers 3/14/2018

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Pre-game talk: NY Rangers 3/14/2018

Postby Great58 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:34 pm

FLPensFan wrote:DeSmith first goalie off. Looks like he will start.

Hearing that Jooris expected to be the healthy scratch, as Kuhnhackl and Rowney were both off early.

DO. NOT. LIKE. :(

I didn't see much of Jooris as I was away last weekend (missed Toronto and watched Dallas on my phone), but my immediate thought was he as far more NHL-worthy than Rowney.

With Murray skating and taking shots and even being on this trip, we should expect him back in MTL, amirite?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:45 pm

Hearing that Jooris expected to be the healthy scratch, as Kuhnhackl and Rowney were both off early.

My assumption is you don't like Rowney in over Jooris. Carter Rowney is the least caliber NHL player on the team, but you have to be comfortable replacing what he brings. Which is a bigger body willing to bang, a PK guy, and a better than average RH faceoff man. You don't need to replace all of those attributes. They were trying to groom Brassard to kill penalties before the injuries in Philly. Since Rowney got back in the lineup, he's back on the PK. I wish they'd just let Brassard take a few lumps if he's the answer to getting Rowney off the ice. It leaves you without a RH faceoff guy, but you can live with that. You need that second center to take draws on the penalties. Otherwise, Sid has to spell Sheahan. Hopefully, ZAR will be back soon, which I think would prompt Rowney to the bench. The keys are Brassard to be able to PK, and ZAR giving them a bit more size and grit upfront. That would make the decision to sit Rowney easy. I also wouldn't mind having somebody with Brassard's skill set killing penalties. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to kill penalties. He just hasn't done it. He and Rust or Hagelin could put a lot of pressure on a PP. Anyway, Rowney is no better than their 14th or 15th forward, but they'll give serious thought to playing him until they're comfortable that they have other guys to replace his tangibles.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:54 pm

longtimefan wrote:

My assumption is you don't like Rowney in over Jooris. Carter Rowney is the least caliber NHL player on the team, but you have to be comfortable replacing what he brings. Which is a bigger body willing to bang, a PK guy, and a better than average RH faceoff man. You don't need to replace all of those attributes. They were trying to groom Brassard to kill penalties before the injuries in Philly. Since Rowney got back in the lineup, he's back on the PK. I wish they'd just let Brassard take a few lumps if he's the answer to getting Rowney off the ice. It leaves you without a RH faceoff guy, but you can live with that. You need that second center to take draws on the penalties. Otherwise, Sid has to spell Sheahan. Hopefully, ZAR will be back soon, which I think would prompt Rowney to the bench. The keys are Brassard to be able to PK, and ZAR giving them a bit more size and grit upfront. That would make the decision to sit Rowney easy. I also wouldn't mind having somebody with Brassard's skill set killing penalties. There's no reason he shouldn't be able to kill penalties. He just hasn't done it. He and Rust or Hagelin could put a lot of pressure on a PP. Anyway, Rowney is no better than their 14th or 15th forward, but they'll give serious thought to playing him until they're comfortable that they have other guys to replace his tangibles.

I don't like Rowney. I don't think he adds much of anything that somebody else can't add. He's not a big hitter, he doesn't produce offense, he's not even taking many faceoffs, so dressing him just because he's a RH faceoff guy doesn't make sense either. He's literally a warm body that almost anyone would be an upgrade to him.

That said, there was some talk that because Jooris was an emergency recall, if Rust comes back tonight the Penguins couldn't scratch a regular forward roster player and play the emergency recall guy. Not sure if that is the case or not.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:56 pm

Updated injury info from Josh Yohe's Athletic Q&A this afternoon. Someone asked about ZAR and finding out what his LBI is.

Josh responded that there are definitely ways to figure things out, for example, ZAR was noticeably limping about 10 days ago. Could be a knee, groin, etc, but being around the team there are ways to make pretty solid educated guesses as to some of the injuries.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby largegarlic on Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:11 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:
Jim wrote:
penny lane wrote:I'll wager Susan Sarandon is 100 X better than the eagle player. Women know hockey.

I'd wager that she is 100x better to listen to than Pierre.

We forget 100 x 0 = 0 still... :(

NBCSN broadcasts are awful to begin with, the Eagles player in there didn't do it favours.

I couldn't imagine having to rely on NBC for hockey. Seeing those buffoons between periods makes it even worse. Milbury, Roenick, Jones, Carter. It's putrid.

I know I'm among the minority, but I'm not a big fan of Doc either. I should stop taking my Canadian broadcasts for granted I guess.

I'm not crazy about Doc either, but he stands out (positively) in comparison to the rest of that crew.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:12 pm

Looks like DeSmith tonight. First off ice.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:20 pm

Jooris reassigned to WBS. Again, assuming with Rust back that this was the end of the "emergency recall"
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:30 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Jooris reassigned to WBS. Again, assuming with Rust back that this was the end of the "emergency recall"

Team's got 12 forwards with Rust back in, Jooris goes down. No problem there.

I thought McKegg -- Jooris was a lateral AHL move only. Seems GMJR legitimately added a useable (and disposable) depth piece that foresaw in a very temporary need that arose. Colour me impressed. :pop:

Also.. ride DeSmith if he's not going to face a ton of shots.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:36 pm

Hopefully the Queen plays. Love to watch him tortured by 72.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:53 pm

Crashguy66 wrote:Hopefully the Queen plays. Love to watch him tortured by 72.

It was already announced earlier today that Georgiev would be starting.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Crashguy66 on Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Damn!
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins