Rules you would like to see changed

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Rules you would like to see changed

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:36 am

Yesterday's discussion in the post-game thread about the offside challenge rule vs. the goalie interference challenge rule got me thinking: what NHL rules would you like to see added/eliminated/changed. I'm not talking about rink dimensions, goal sizes, or other rink related items, nor am I talking about better enforcement of current rules.

For me, the big one that pops to my mind is consistency between the goal challenge rules. Why does a goalie interference challenge require a timeout to be available, while the offside challenge does not? Why does the goalie interference challenge result in a lost timeout, while the offside challenge results in a penalty? I would like to see a universal rule change as such:

All teams are granted one challenge to start a game.
If the call on the ice is overturned, the team gets its challenge back, allowing for another challenge later in the game.
If the call on the ice stands, the team gets a two-minute delay of game penalty and is ineligible to challenge another goal in the game.
All goals, regardless of whether an interference penalty was called on ice, are challengeable.
Timeouts are not required to challenge a goal.

By writing the rule in this manner, I believe the league would curb the usage of challenges as a way to swing momentum, as a failed attempt not only eliminates opportunity for future challenge, but also sends one of your players to the box, thus giving the opponent the momentum. I also believe it makes the rule easier to understand and creates an even playing field, as every goal challenge ultimately should be deemed equal.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Rules you would like to see changed

Postby no name on Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:58 am

First thing, would be the offsides rule. It should be a universal plane type of thing. as long as a body part in in that plane, (not on the ice) as long as its in the plane it should be a onsides play. Although the penalty rule has done its purpose in decreasing the amount of challenges.

Goaltender equipment.. ok leg pads they did last year next season please get the chest protectors under the same type of restrictions. The glove and blockers should also decrease. I am not looking for a major increase in scoring but the goalies went way to long unchecked. I can't blame them for trying to get every square inch of blockage from every piece of equipment. Sure I would of done it to. But now you have to get these guys under a law that dictates the size of things.

high sticking that draws blood or direct hits to the head should result in a double minor served in a 5 on 3 fashion.

one last thing. remove the shootout, increase the 3 on 3 to 7 mins long. it can end in a tie. or both teams getting a OT loss of 1 pt.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:13 am

1. Redirecting the puck into the net off a skate should be allowed. Quite simply, I have no idea why this is a rule. Best I can guess is they don't want to see guys wildly kicking their skates around trying to put the puck in, but, we don't see that today.

2. Call the rulebook....open up the game. For some idiotic reason, the suits think cracking down on slashing was the right answer. It wasn't. Cracking down on interference is. Biggest play that happens multiple times a game and drives me bonkers.....offensive player dumps puck into the zone and goes to chase. Defenseman 1 goes for the puck, while defenseman 2 casually skates into offensive players line forcing him to take a new line to get to the puck.......and that is the low end of it. It's interference. Years ago, it used to be actually called. Defenseman 2 isn't making a play for the puck and he is skating into the offensive players line for the sole purpose of interfering with his ability to play the puck.

3. Rate the refs. I'm sure they do this to some degree, but, quite frankly, if refs want to earn seniority, they should be ranked/rated by their ability to call the rulebook, and not ref the score or how they see fit. Half the refs don't even know how to control a chippy game with offsetting penalties or misconducts anymore.

4. Reduce goalie equipment size. There is a happy medium between optimal protection and size. We have goalies out there looking like William Refridgerator Perry in their equipment, and Pee Wee Herman once they take their equipment off. Bloated chest protectors, loose jersey's, larger leg pads. Start with the equipment reduction, and if this doesn't work, consider increasing the net size by 1-3 inches in each direction.

5. Allow goalies to play the puck more. Again, excitement. For those who have been watching the game for awhile, would you rather see a return to guys like Hextall/Barrasso/Brodeur out there playing the puck, or goalies trapped in a little space and prohibited from going to spot X for a penalty. DUMB!!!!! You want to dump in for a line change, great, but you better put it in the right spot or the goalie is going to get it and fire it up ice for a chance at an odd man rush.

The biggest overall issue I see is the game has evolved for the worse. Goalies were terrible in the 70's and 80's. Goalies have improved, meaning fewer goals scored. Shot blocking has evolved, meaning more shots are being blocked, less shots are getting to the net, meaning less goals. Defensive systems have evolved. The Trap and other systems have reduced goals scored in games.

It's sad to me that the game can't promote any excitement in their sport with players chasing records because most of the records are unattainable. Yes, Gretzky set the bar high, but take away that element for a minute, and realize the way the game is played, it's impossible for anybody to challenge most of the records out there the way the game is today:
---2 active players (Stamkos and Ovechkin) in the top 50 goals scored in a season.
---3 active players (Thorton, Crosby, Sedin) in the top 50 assists in a season.
---0 active players in the top 50 points in a season. Nobody has cracked 130 points in over 20 seasons.

But Bettman and the suits and cronies that have run the league for years are so worried about increasing profits at the expense of fan loyalty. Not sure how well the game is going to recover when the next lockout happens in 2 years. The NHL just keeps pocketing the money and refusing to do much to grow and improve the game. Yeah, expansion is good. Big $$$ TV contracts are good. Playing overseas is good. But when you drill down to the product on the ice, they aren't actually growing and adapting that part of the game......and that is the most important piece.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:24 am

one last thing. remove the shootout, increase the 3 on 3 to 7 mins long. it can end in a tie. or both teams getting a OT loss of 1 pt.

I said this but upon thinking I remember an argument another poster said can't remember who posted it or said it but they said. The worst ending to a game is a 3 point game. 2 pts for a win and one for the OT loser. If you are going to allow this 3 point type of game, then all games should have 3 points on the line.

3 pts regulation win
2 pts over time win
1 pt overtime loss.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:03 am

I enjoy watching the shootouts, but hate that three (or less) skaters and a goalie for each team decide an entire point. Just end the game in a tie after the three-on-three, but still do the shootout. Then give all fans of the winning team a pizza coupon or something like that. (so if the visiting team wins, all fans of their next home game would win the prize). I know this probably would never work but it would be better than the current situation and the fans and maybe even the players would be more into the shootouts then they are now. (and I realize that the league or players association would probably never risk injuries for pizza coupons, even if the risk is low)

I know I'm probably in the minority as most people seem to hate ties, but I have no problem in a tie if three periods + a three-on-three isn't enough to decide a winner.

If they want to keep the shootout, at least change it to 5 shooters instead of 3.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Faubert5 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:09 am

FLPensFan wrote:1. Redirecting the puck into the net off a skate should be allowed. Quite simply, I have no idea why this is a rule. Best I can guess is they don't want to see guys wildly kicking their skates around trying to put the puck in, but, we don't see that today.

2. Call the rulebook....open up the game. For some idiotic reason, the suits think cracking down on slashing was the right answer. It wasn't. Cracking down on interference is. Biggest play that happens multiple times a game and drives me bonkers.....offensive player dumps puck into the zone and goes to chase. Defenseman 1 goes for the puck, while defenseman 2 casually skates into offensive players line forcing him to take a new line to get to the puck.......and that is the low end of it. It's interference. Years ago, it used to be actually called. Defenseman 2 isn't making a play for the puck and he is skating into the offensive players line for the sole purpose of interfering with his ability to play the puck.

3. Rate the refs. I'm sure they do this to some degree, but, quite frankly, if refs want to earn seniority, they should be ranked/rated by their ability to call the rulebook, and not ref the score or how they see fit. Half the refs don't even know how to control a chippy game with offsetting penalties or misconducts anymore.

4. Reduce goalie equipment size. There is a happy medium between optimal protection and size. We have goalies out there looking like William Refridgerator Perry in their equipment, and Pee Wee Herman once they take their equipment off. Bloated chest protectors, loose jersey's, larger leg pads. Start with the equipment reduction, and if this doesn't work, consider increasing the net size by 1-3 inches in each direction.

5. Allow goalies to play the puck more. Again, excitement. For those who have been watching the game for awhile, would you rather see a return to guys like Hextall/Barrasso/Brodeur out there playing the puck, or goalies trapped in a little space and prohibited from going to spot X for a penalty. DUMB!!!!! You want to dump in for a line change, great, but you better put it in the right spot or the goalie is going to get it and fire it up ice for a chance at an odd man rush.

The biggest overall issue I see is the game has evolved for the worse. Goalies were terrible in the 70's and 80's. Goalies have improved, meaning fewer goals scored. Shot blocking has evolved, meaning more shots are being blocked, less shots are getting to the net, meaning less goals. Defensive systems have evolved. The Trap and other systems have reduced goals scored in games.

1. If you allow players to kick the puck in you will see players kicking at every thing near the crease. I think allowing that is a terrible idea. The game is meant to be played with the stick and I'd like to keep it that way. Any schmuck can kick a puck but scoring a goal around the net like Ovy did on his 600th goal requires skill. I want more goals but I'd like to see them related to skill. Enforce the current rules and scoring will go up.

2. Agree on the interference - the part about the second defenseman and would add the rub outs along the boards on the dump in start later and continue longer it seems.

3. If they do rate the refs it isn't affecting their performance. I'd like to see some consistency in calling throughout the game but that's not unique to the NHL it seems.

4. The equipment needs to shrink. Wider leg pads and bigger blockers and gloves aren't about protection. These guys are also much bigger than they used to be - maybe consider a slight increase to the size of the goal as well. Try it out in preseason maybe?

5. I thought the goalie rules were designed to increase the offense. If so, and if it works, I have no problem keeping that the way it is. It really doesn't seem to come in to play so much that it's an issue for me.

Most of the issues I have come with the lack of enforcement of the current rules. What is a crosscheck anymore other than the ref decides he's seem enough. I remember one of the Preds in the playoffs whaling away on one of the Pens and finally getting called on the third whack. The third hit was as hard as the first two so why is that a penalty and not the first two? Guys get knocked down all the time from behind and there's rarely a call. Same with interference and slashing - enforcement seems rather random.

It seems to me that the teams that choose to make breaking the rules part of their defensive scheme get away with more. But that works in other sports too. In their recent run of success, the Packers secondary held on every play and only got called a few times a game, if at all. I get that you "can't call them all" but you can call enough that it discourages the sort of stuff that cuts down on scoring or leads to injuries. If Marchand sat out often enough he'd either get the message or make himself a much less attractive employee.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby DelPen on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:30 am

All replay handled by a team in Toronto and have 45 seconds to have a three member panel vote, majority wins. You can have a pool of 10 ornso fuus rotating but you will have more consistency and their performance will be reviewed to see who is not in line on head scratchers that defy common sense.

Offside needs to be a plane, if your entire body is over the line before the puck it’s black and white. The offside challenge won’t be as nitpicky now so get rid of the penalty and keep it as a bonus timeout if you are correct. I think less challenges for offside would occur using the plane approach.

Get rid of the false faceoff rule because it’s riined by linesman theat want to be part of the game.

If your skate is on the ice or your hands are on the stick and puck going off them is a good goal.

Call rules as written would also help no matter the score.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:39 am

The offsides challenge was to negate the Danny B goal. The offsides challenge should be negated once the defending team touches the puck (or gets control but doesn't clear the zone).

Eliminate the trapezoid. They don't call the penalty half the time anyway. My actually create some weird opportunities if the goalie strays from the crease.

I hate the dump ins and the defender obstructs the forward. Sometimes it's intereference. Sometimes it is not. Seems to depend on who the defender is. AHL call up or rookie usually ends up in the box. Officials are officials so I don't know how you change that.

Have all challenge reviews done by Toronto.

As we have seen with slashing, refs gravitate to their comfort level. League office must have sent an edict out last week to call more penalties. In another week or so, the penalty numbers will drop again. Not sure how you make an official change they way they have been calling a game the past 15 years.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:07 am

Instead of a 2 min delay of game penalty for shooting the puck over the glass, it should be treated like an icing. No line change, no time out, faceoff in your end. Second offense you forfeit your time out, if you don't have one then 2 mins delay of game penalty.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby interstorm on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am

Whatever rule changes the NHL considers, they need to pick their head up and realize that the landscape is changing. Younger generations are watching less and less sports while things like ESports or gaming leagues are taking off. While the die hard hockey fan might say, "I don't care" and shrugs off whether the NHL (and its players) make billions, millions or only thousands -- the fact that the NHL, the stewards for the game of hockey in North America, has been completely negligent in promoting and fostering the sport for decades. With declines in popularity come declines in participants...declines in players. The pool of talent for the next wave of players, those the die hards will love, is shrinking. The (NHL) game is less enjoyable than it was years ago with many goals being the result of defensive breakdowns instead of offensive artistry. Rules do not immediately fix this but they do open up the environment for different ways to play -- more exciting ways to play.

If the NHL doesn't embrace the changing attitudes and demands of its customers, it will decline and it will die. Seems completely unfathomable but that is the cold, bitter truth...

http://www.businessinsider.com/esports- ... art-2017-3

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/articl ... er-viewers
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:19 pm

Teams should have long change during periods 1 and 3.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:25 pm

The biggest improvement to the game would come from expanding the ice to the International size. For years players gave gotten bigger faster and stronger. They have made this ice surface obsolete. How many times do you see guys get pinched on the boards in the International game? Nowhere near as many times as we see every night in the NHL.

Pros:
It would immediately change all the angles players are used to using.
It would open up more ice for play-making and players who have skill.
It would make goon type enforcer guys much more obsolete.
All 3 of these reasons point to more goals.

Cons:
MOST of the rinks in the NHL do not have the ability to expand to the International size.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:29 pm

pronovost19 wrote:The biggest improvement to the game would come from expanding the ice to the International size. For years players gave gotten bigger faster and stronger. They have made this ice surface obsolete. How many times do you see guys get pinched on the boards in the International game? Nowhere near as many times as we see every night in the NHL.

Pros:

Cons:
MOST of the rinks in the NHL do not have the ability to expand to the International size.

But this isn't a rule change -- it's an overhaul, which is why I mentioned to exclude rink dimensions, goal sizes, etc. A change this drastic won't happen for myriad reasons, not the least of which is the money lost in updated all 31 arenas (many of which are brand new) and in losing seats.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:36 pm

Defence21 wrote:
pronovost19 wrote:The biggest improvement to the game would come from expanding the ice to the International size. For years players gave gotten bigger faster and stronger. They have made this ice surface obsolete. How many times do you see guys get pinched on the boards in the International game? Nowhere near as many times as we see every night in the NHL.

Pros:

Cons:

But this isn't a rule change -- it's an overhaul, which is why I mentioned to exclude rink dimensions, goal sizes, etc. A change this drastic won't happen for myriad reasons, not the least of which is the money lost in updated all 31 arenas (many of which are brand new) and in losing seats.

Oops, I guess I missed that. Sorry
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitt87 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:38 pm

Outside of delay of game for a puck over the glass, they just need to get better at enforcing rules, or further clarify what consitutes a violation/foul.

For instance -- Goaltender interference could be any body contact with a goaltender while in his crease, but stick contact except a slash/hook/high stick when a live puck is in the crease is allowed. Easy.

Offside should be any bodypart behind the plane, not this 'did his skate leave the ice' baloney.

Same for boarding, hits to the head, etc. Any body contact with an upright player's head should be 5 mins. Injuries dont matter, turning your back at the last second shouldnt matter, intent doesn't matter. Did, or didnot... that should be the standard, and refs shouldn't be asked to judge outcomes.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pronovost19 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:45 pm

If you challenge a rule and lose the challenge, the other team gets a penalty shot.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby interstorm on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:00 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:Teams should have long change during periods 1 and 3.

I've been a big fan of this for awhile.

I'd also like to see a too many men on the ice penalty if there are too many men on the ice -- PERIOD. Player A has to get off before player B gets on with zero tolerance. If there is any talk about the size of the rink, that is the quickest way to adjust -- by literally getting more people off the ice (during line changes).

Speaking of getting people off the ice -- I'd even be ok with removing line judges and refs from (maybe leave 1 person on -- everyone else can be strategically positioned on the other side of the glass OR replaced with cameras).
interstorm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby netwolf on Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:26 pm

Icing while shorthanded is no longer allowed. Part of the punishment for breaking a rule shouldn't include getting a pass on another one. If you ice it more than twice on a minor, you get a delay of game tacked on.

The netting over the glass is treated as an extension of the glass. If a puck hits it, but returns to the ice, it's still live and play continues.

Adopt IIHF standards for head contact, boarding, and crease violations.

Increase OT to 10 minutes.

Make all games worth the same amount of points. 3 for a regulation win, 2 for an OT/SO win, 1 for an OT/SO loss.

This isn't really a rule change, but I'd like to see embellishment more aggressively penalized by the league. There was a play against Dallas where a Star to a stick to the top of his helmet, but drew a call by jerking his head back and holding his face. I can't blame the on-ice officials for not catching that in real time, but there's no reason someone in the league office shouldn't be able to catch that on tape and take action. A small fine for first offense, and big find for the second, and a supension for a third. Or something.

And also in the not-really-a-rule section, DoPS needs overhauled and given the ability to enforce meaningful punishments.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:37 pm

DelPen wrote:All replay handled by a team in Toronto and have 45 seconds to have a three member panel vote, majority wins. You can have a pool of 10 ornso fuus rotating but you will have more consistency and their performance will be reviewed to see who is not in line on head scratchers that defy common sense.

I don't like having a timer on a challenge, since some are pretty complicated and take multiple views. If they're going to do it right, go as long as you can see something new.

That said, the time to challenge should be before a normal faceoff to challenge. Quick review, bring the lines on, drop the puck. None of this taking longer than the actual challenge to do a challenge.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Mar 13, 2018 3:58 pm

1. Revise CBA of NHL players in the CHL. Make them available for call up directly from the CHL to the NHL and back. Or via the AHL. Needless obstacle, helps nobody. Encourage having CHL affiliates for all I care. Work this into the ELC structure.

2. Keep rinks as they are in NHL size. International isnt necessarily better. It certainly isnt practical in the short term. IIHF rinks are less physical.

3. Unlimited 3 on 3 over time. I dont care of if they have to keep skating for hours. Someone WILL score. Worth considering have one team forced to pull the goaltender for an attacker after X minutes.

4. 3 point reg wins. No reason not to have it but to artificially keep standings tight.

5. EXPLAIN THE BLEEDING CALLS IN AN INTERVIEW AFTER THE GAME. Especially the special ones, like the Dumoulin penalty. Honest referee opinion of what they saw and how they applied it. Im fine with 'we got the call wrong, but after it was made the rules didn't allow us to reverse it'. Admit failure and explain your thinking. If necessary with the rulebook. Id be okay with the NHL just doing 10 of these on a given week. Take away controversy after the game, while still on game day.

6. Offside rule only to be used to overturn a goal of if they score the goal or primary assist within two touches fron the offside. Offside means your entire body is beyond the blue line when you draw a vertical line to the ice. Enough with the skate on ice nonsense.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PaLionking on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Change the offsides so that the skate does not have to be on the ice.
Prohibit icing when killing off a penalty. Why should the team being penalized get a break.
Change the height that the stick is allowed to be at shoulder level regardless of the height of the person rather than the cross bar. It's easier to determine that from a shot that's away from the crease.
If you score on a delayed penalty, the penalty is still enforced.
Make it so that the doors to the bench can't be opened during play. 2 minute unsportsmanlike if it comes open
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:45 pm

Puck-Lurker wrote:1. Revise CBA of NHL players in the CHL. Make them available for call up directly from the CHL to the NHL and back. Or via the AHL. Needless obstacle, helps nobody. Encourage having CHL affiliates for all I care. Work this into the ELC structure.

2. Keep rinks as they are in NHL size. International isnt necessarily better. It certainly isnt practical in the short term. IIHF rinks are less physical.

3. Unlimited 3 on 3 over time. I dont care of if they have to keep skating for hours. Someone WILL score. Worth considering have one team forced to pull the goaltender for an attacker after X minutes.

4. 3 point reg wins. No reason not to have it but to artificially keep standings tight.

5. EXPLAIN THE BLEEDING CALLS IN AN INTERVIEW AFTER THE GAME. Especially the special ones, like the Dumoulin penalty. Honest referee opinion of what they saw and how they applied it. Im fine with 'we got the call wrong, but after it was made the rules didn't allow us to reverse it'. Admit failure and explain your thinking. If necessary with the rulebook. Id be okay with the NHL just doing 10 of these on a given week. Take away controversy after the game, while still on game day.

6. Offside rule only to be used to overturn a goal of if they score the goal or primary assist within two touches fron the offside. Offside means your entire body is beyond the blue line when you draw a vertical line to the ice. Enough with the skate on ice nonsense.

I'm responding here because there are a few I like and a few I really dislike...

1. This will never happen. The CHL benefits tremendously from having an agreement with the NHL that prevents mid-season call-ups. And, it can be argued (quite easily, I might add), that those players in the CHL are benefiting tremendously by getting semi-professional experience without being thrown to the wolves. I would venture to guess that we would see a lot more boom or bust if your suggestion came to fruition.

2. Agreed. Rink size change isn't practical. Physicality, though doesn't have an bearing on this. The Olympic game with NHL involvement is lacking in physicality, yet it's the most funny and exciting hockey I've ever seen.

3. I like unlimited 3-on-3 overtime, but there is no way you can reasonably justify forcing one team to pull its goalie while the other keeps the goalie in net. It just doesn't make sense in the spirit of competition.

4. Agreed. All games should carry the same point total. The only reason they don't now is as you said: to artificially create balance in the standings. That's nice in theory, but at the end of the day, the real talent shines through and the artificial crap is exposed year after year.

5. I don't have a problem with requiring officials to have media availability after each game.

6. I agree and disagree with this one. I can really see both sides. On one hand, if a team crosses the blueline illegally, the goal shouldn't count, regardless of how long they posses the puck in the offensive zone. If the correct call was made, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to control the puck that long and score. On the other hand, if a team controls the puck for a minute after crossing the blueline illegally, the opposition has plenty of time to take matters into their own hands and clear the puck. At the end of the day, though, I have to side with making the right call, regardless of how long a team has posession.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Tue Mar 13, 2018 4:54 pm

PaLionking wrote:Change the offsides so that the skate does not have to be on the ice.
Prohibit icing when killing off a penalty. Why should the team being penalized get a break.
Change the height that the stick is allowed to be at shoulder level regardless of the height of the person rather than the cross bar. It's easier to determine that from a shot that's away from the crease.
Make it so that the doors to the bench can't be opened during play. 2 minute unsportsmanlike if it comes open

Really like these. No reason that a penalized team should get any kinds of breaks -- whether that be waiving the penalty if a goal is scored prior to stoppage of play or negating icing. I'll add one more that was mentioned above: a two-minute penalty means the team is shorthanded for two full minutes, regardless of whether a goal is scored.

Not a fan of your change to high sticking the puck. Where Oleksiak's stick naturally sits is different than where Sheary's does. The idea is to keep the stick down for safety purposes, and changing that rule gives bigger guys the opportunity to maneuver their stick in dangerous territory. Additionally, it gives an added benefit to taller players that shorter players would not have.

I like the idea of keeping bench doors closed during gameplay. No reason they need to open when guys are so good at hopping the boards.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:19 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Puck-Lurker wrote:1. Revise CBA of NHL players in the CHL. Make them available for call up directly from the CHL to the NHL and back. Or via the AHL. Needless obstacle, helps nobody. Encourage having CHL affiliates for all I care. Work this into the ELC structure.

I'm responding here because there are a few I like and a few I really dislike...

1. This will never happen. The CHL benefits tremendously from having an agreement with the NHL that prevents mid-season call-ups. And, it can be argued (quite easily, I might add), that those players in the CHL are benefiting tremendously by getting semi-professional experience without being thrown to the wolves. I would venture to guess that we would see a lot more boom or bust if your suggestion came to fruition.

2. Agreed. Rink size change isn't practical. Physicality, though doesn't have an bearing on this. The Olympic game with NHL involvement is lacking in physicality, yet it's the most funny and exciting hockey I've ever seen.

3. I like unlimited 3-on-3 overtime, but there is no way you can reasonably justify forcing one team to pull its goalie while the other keeps the goalie in net. It just doesn't make sense in the spirit of competition.

4. Agreed. All games should carry the same point total. The only reason they don't now is as you said: to artificially create balance in the standings. That's nice in theory, but at the end of the day, the real talent shines through and the artificial crap is exposed year after year.

5. I don't have a problem with requiring officials to have media availability after each game.

6. I agree and disagree with this one. I can really see both sides. On one hand, if a team crosses the blueline illegally, the goal shouldn't count, regardless of how long they posses the puck in the offensive zone. If the correct call was made, they wouldn't have had the opportunity to control the puck that long and score. On the other hand, if a team controls the puck for a minute after crossing the blueline illegally, the opposition has plenty of time to take matters into their own hands and clear the puck. At the end of the day, though, I have to side with making the right call, regardless of how long a team has posession.

Re: 1. I think you could also address the situation by letting ELC's slide if they play most of the season in the CHL. I agree that more icetime is a win for most youngsters.
Re: 2. I've been watching some hockey on IIHF rinks, including the olympics. I missed the boards being closer, players had all kinds of room everywhere. There's a certain excitement there, but I've mainly seen it support shooting plays by defencemen. It's a bit too... euh... hard to describe. Either way, we won't see bigger rinks in forever, so probably moot.
Re: 3. Yeah, well.. in the theoretical case nobody scores, players get too tired and the goaltenders don't... Maybe not pull the goaltender. Maybe eventually after X amount of time (definitely more than 10 minutes), give one side an extra attacker. I dunno, hard to find a fair way to do something like that. Infinite OT has a very big charm in my opinion.
Re: 5. This is my biggest problem with the NHL officiating. They don't explain their calls. Even to coaches, they will say "We determined player X interfered with goaltender Y on the play, so no goal" or whatever. Not enough for controversial calls. Post-game media can fix this, you don't have to agree, but it helps a lot if you explain this. The rules are difficult to follow as they are.
Re: 6. I was thinking of Malkin's offside on the goal by Hörnqvist. Did he illegally enter the zone? Letter of the current rules, yes he did. Spirit of the rules, oh get lost. I don't care if this gets used against us. Goals like that ought to count. Find a way.

7. Introduce a system that identifies zone entries electronically. Eliminate some human error in offsides.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Defence21 wrote:
PaLionking wrote:Change the offsides so that the skate does not have to be on the ice.

Really like these. No reason that a penalized team should get any kinds of breaks -- whether that be waiving the penalty if a goal is scored prior to stoppage of play or negating icing. I'll add one more that was mentioned above: a two-minute penalty means the team is shorthanded for two full minutes, regardless of whether a goal is scored.

Not a fan of your change to high sticking the puck. Where Oleksiak's stick naturally sits is different than where Sheary's does. The idea is to keep the stick down for safety purposes, and changing that rule gives bigger guys the opportunity to maneuver their stick in dangerous territory. Additionally, it gives an added benefit to taller players that shorter players would not have.

I like the idea of keeping bench doors closed during gameplay. No reason they need to open when guys are so good at hopping the boards.

So you give a team a 2 minute penalty because someone limps off the ice and can't go over the boards? If you're going to do that, anytime someone is struggling to get to the bench, you have to blow the whistle.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins