Stewie Griffin Postgame:Pens Corral Canadiens 5-3

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame:Pens Corral Canadiens 5-3

Postby netwolf on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Canadiens, a 5-3 win

Something good: Patric Hornqvist, take a bow. 2 goals (including the winner) on 10 shots along with 3 hits and an assist, all in a shade over 18 minutes.

Where they need improvement: Digging a 2-0 hole early in this game on the heels the disaster of a 3rd in New York in the previous game was less than ideal.

Something good: To their credit, they stuck with it and wiped out that 2 goal deficit before the 1st was over, and kept battling to get a much needed regulation win on the road.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame:Pens Corral Canadiens 5-3

Postby midd on Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:43 am

The third line is starting to heat up. Rust brings a whole new dynamic to that line. Expect to see good things from them.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Mar 16, 2018 10:01 am

I think for us to have any success in the playoffs all our forwards are going to need a new commitment to the defensive side of the puck. This defensive corpe is weaker than last years and way weaker than 2 years ago.

As far as last night, liked how Jarry kept it together and played strong the rest of the way.

Rutherford was right not to waste time looking for a back up, Jarry and DeSmith can hold the fort down.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:14 pm

no name wrote:I think for us to have any success in the playoffs all our forwards are going to need a new commitment to the defensive side of the puck. This defensive corpe is weaker than last years and way weaker than 2 years ago.

As far as last night, liked how Jarry kept it together and played strong the rest of the way.

Rutherford was right not to waste time looking for a back up, Jarry and DeSmith can hold the fort down.

Jarry and DeSmith haven't been *losing* us games of late.

Yeah, you can bring up that OT goal on DeSmith (should've had that) and others.. but they've kept us in games, within reach. When they haven't (Boston, Toronto), you couldn't exactly lay the blame at their feet for it.

It's all you can ask for in a backup goalie. Yeah, we want Murray back. Meanwhile, these guys are serviceable and NOT Niemi. It's on the D to clear up more rebounds than they're used to. A veteran G would be a waste of a roster space.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins