Goalie concerns heading into playoffs?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Goalie concerns heading into playoffs?

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:27 pm

Anyone else have concerns about the goaltending heading into the playoffs

Some overall numbers (at all strengths ES, PP, PK):
--Of 29 goalies that have played at least 40 games, Murray is 22nd in save percentage. Of the 7 goalies worse than Murray, only Holtby is a playoff goalie (with Jake Allen another possible).
--Of these 29 goalies, Murray ranks 20th in Adjusted Save Percentage (taking into account shot location). Of 9 goalies worse than Murray, Holtby, Dubnyk, Elliot and maybe Jake Allen are other playoff starters.
--Marc-Andre Fleury leads in both of these categories.

--Out of 29 goalies, Matt Murray ranks 26th in Low Danger SV%. Low Danger would be shots from a greater distance, like point shots or shots closer to the boards.
--Out of 29 goalies, Murray ranks 27th in Medium Danger save percentage. No playoff goalies are worse than Murray in LDSV% or MDSV%.
--Out of 29 goalies, Murray ranks 3rd in High Danger save percentage. High Danger chances are the shots in close, in the slot, etc. Out of all shots faces this season, only about 25% of them were High Danger.

By comparison, there were 34 goalies last year that played 40 games in the regular season. Here's the comparison to last year:
--Murray ranked 2nd in SV% out of 34 goalies last year.
--Murray ranked 2nd in Adjusted SV% last year.
--Murray ranked 4th in LDSV% last year.
--Murray ranked 2nd in MDSV% last year.
--Murray ranked 9th in HDSV% last year.

Now, let's review his playoff numbers from last year, and the year before. 9 goalies played in at least 8 playoff games last year (Murray played 11 last year):
--Murray was 1st in SV% and Adjusted SV%.
--Murray was 2nd in LDSV% and MDSV%.
--Murray was 9th out of 9 in HDSV%.

In his first playoff run, where played 21 games:
--Murray was 4th in SV%, Adjusted SV%, and LDSV% out of 9 goalies with at least 8 games played.
--Murray was 7th out of 9 in MDSV%, and 3rd in HDSV%.

I can also look and see that, with 2 games left, if we compare shots/goals of Low, Medium, and High Danger from this year, and the last 2 regular seasons....
---Penguins have given up 43 low danger goals this year, compared to 33 last year, and 37 in 15-16. These are the long range shots goalies should be best at stopping. The number of shot totals between this year, last year, and the year before should be about the same (around 1230 LD shots) if the Penguins give up 30 shots each of the next two games.
---Penguins have given up 81 medium danger goals this year, compared to 64 last year and 52 in 15-16.
---Penguins have given up 121 high danger goals this year, compared to 120 last year and 100 in 15-16.

It's hard to look at these numbers without looking at the defense as a whole from this year and compared to last year (which I am trying to look at as well), but the trends show that Murray has always been a pretty good goalie with the medium to low danger shots (shots from further away), while this year, he seems to be struggling mightily with those shots. That's a major concern when those Low Danger and Medium Danger shots make up about 75% of the shots a goalie faces. If I take PP and PK strengths away, and look only at Even Strength play, Murray's numbers actually get worse. Even more frightening, is that Casey DeSmith has the best numbers on the team in most of these categories. Out of goalies that played at least 10 games (68 of them), DeSmith ranks 5th in Medium Danger SV% in all Situations.....Murray, ranks 60th out of 68th.

And to clarify, because I threw MAF numbers out there doesn't mean I think we should have kept MAF. It wasn't possible for cap reasons, and it was not the correct call in terms of asset management.
And to clarify, because I threw out that DeSmith has better numbers than Murray doesn't mean I think the Penguins should start DeSmith.

To me, this means the Penguins need to hope Murray finds his game in the playoffs, because he hasn't stolen a lot of games this year, and his numbers are off. Just another concern to have going into the post-season. :D
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: Goalie concerns heading into playoffs?

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:55 pm

I do agree goaltending as of late has not been so "guaranteed". I do think Murray will pick it up once playoffs start rolling and I think our D will buckle down a little bit more. If the Pens try to play run and gun hockey this year in playoff series it won't work out in our favor.

I've been wondering what Pens may do in the offseason regarding any FA's. I wouldn't be surprised if we have a hard move for a top D man in the offseason. I know we have Schultz/Letang/Matta but it would be nice to see a more solid stay at home D man in that lineup.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Durbano on Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:38 pm

This is great analysis, thanks FLPensfan.

For me, it's concerning but at the same time I'm still optimistic that he can return to playoff form, especially since that's all we've seen from him so far (in the playoffs) and his history of bouncing back from average or poor performances. A bigger concern is Murray's durability. It's tough to get on a roll when you're in and out of the lineup, especially for a goalie. Hopefully it's just been bad luck, and he did miss time for a non injury reason too of course.

I think the Pens are fortunate this year to be in the division that they are in. I don't think any of our potential first two round opponents are a huge threat to come out of the East - the Pens and Murray have a chance to get on a roll before the conference championship. I'm not saying they are going to make it that far, they could bow out in round one against any of those teams too - it's just that they have an easier path to round three than the last two playoff seasons, it's an opportunity for Murray and the rest of the team to get on a roll.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:02 pm

Steve wrote:This is great analysis, thanks FLPensfan.

For me, it's concerning but at the same time I'm still optimistic that he can return to playoff form, especially since that's all we've seen from him so far (in the playoffs) and his history of bouncing back from average or poor performances. A bigger concern is Murray's durability. It's tough to get on a roll when you're in and out of the lineup, especially for a goalie. Hopefully it's just been bad luck, and he did miss time for a non injury reason too of course.

I think the Pens are fortunate this year to be in the division that they are in. I don't think any of our potential first two round opponents are a huge threat to come out of the East - the Pens and Murray have a chance to get on a roll before the conference championship. I'm not saying they are going to make it that far, they could bow out in round one against any of those teams too - it's just that they have an easier path to round three than the last two playoff seasons, it's an opportunity for Murray and the rest of the team to get on a roll.

I have some concern about most of the East teams versus the Penguins. In many cases, the Penguins didn't just lose games, they got badly outplayed:
--Assuming the 8 teams currently occupying the 8 East playoff spots, the Penguins have a losing record against Boston, Tampa, Toronto, and NJ, even with Washington, and undefeated against Philly and Columbus.
--Against Philly and Columbus, Penguins are averaging 5 and 4.33 goals for, respectively, and 2.75 and 2.67 goals against. So they are well above their Goals For per game average, and below their goals against per game average.
--Against Boston (5.67), Tampa (4.67), Toronto (4.00), Washington (3.25) and New Jersey (3.25), the Penguins have given up more goals against than their season average of 3.05. The BOS, TOR, and TB numbers are far greater outliers and of more concern. And while NJ numbers aren't that far above the norm, eye test says NJ has given them problems all year.
--Out of the top 10 scoring teams in the NHL, 6 of them are in the East, 5 of those 6 are in the playoffs (Islanders lone exception). All 4 of the West teams are in the playoffs. The top 3 scoring teams in the NHL are Tampa, Boston, Toronto....in terms of Goals For per Game.
--The Penguins will be the only team heading into the playoffs giving up more than 3 (3.05) goals per game during the regular season.

Not trying to be a downer, and I am fine if the Penguins don't go far this year, but Murray, defense overall, and the chemistry/peak of this team seems like too many switches that need to be "flipped" going into the playoffs. I sure hope they can......but, something tells me their play isn't up to par in too many areas to go deep into the playoffs. Really hope they prove me wrong.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:02 pm

It's clear that the Penguins have attempted to increase the number of high danger shots that Murray faces as their attempt to maximize his performance. :lol:

I'm not really concerned about his year-to-date numbers, as both the Pens as a team and Murray as a plaver have been so inconsident for large portions of the season. That, and his injuries make the overall numbers less meaningful, to me. But I think the concern going into the playoffs is reasonable given his recent play. He's looked ok-to-good at times, and pretty bad at times.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby flame on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:11 pm

I am concerned but optimistic. I’m more concerned that they will start the postseason playing Hunwick over Ruhwedel.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby no name on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:15 pm

It just comes down to team defense right now for me. I knew we would miss Cole but never did I think it would be to this extent.

Brassard was something I am not sure we needed as much as other concerns in our line up.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:31 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

I have some concern about most of the East teams versus the Penguins. In many cases, the Penguins didn't just lose games, they got badly outplayed:
--Assuming the 8 teams currently occupying the 8 East playoff spots, the Penguins have a losing record against Boston, Tampa, Toronto, and NJ, even with Washington, and undefeated against Philly and Columbus.
--Against Philly and Columbus, Penguins are averaging 5 and 4.33 goals for, respectively, and 2.75 and 2.67 goals against. So they are well above their Goals For per game average, and below their goals against per game average.
--Against Boston (5.67), Tampa (4.67), Toronto (4.00), Washington (3.25) and New Jersey (3.25), the Penguins have given up more goals against than their season average of 3.05. The BOS, TOR, and TB numbers are far greater outliers and of more concern. And while NJ numbers aren't that far above the norm, eye test says NJ has given them problems all year.
--Out of the top 10 scoring teams in the NHL, 6 of them are in the East, 5 of those 6 are in the playoffs (Islanders lone exception). All 4 of the West teams are in the playoffs. The top 3 scoring teams in the NHL are Tampa, Boston, Toronto....in terms of Goals For per Game.
--The Penguins will be the only team heading into the playoffs giving up more than 3 (3.05) goals per game during the regular season.

Not trying to be a downer, and I am fine if the Penguins don't go far this year, but Murray, defense overall, and the chemistry/peak of this team seems like too many switches that need to be "flipped" going into the playoffs. I sure hope they can......but, something tells me their play isn't up to par in too many areas to go deep into the playoffs. Really hope they prove me wrong.

Yeah I hear ya. Two seasons ago the Pens were on an absolute roll going into the playoffs, and to a lesser extent, last year as well - especially compared to now. That's a big concern for me, and a big switch to flip as you mentioned.

I think Boston, Tampa and maybe even Toronto are all better than any of our potential first two round opponents. The Pens have an opportunity to get Murray on a roll before facing one of those teams, and of course, if we make it that far. That's really the main point I was trying to make.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:06 pm

Steve wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:

Yeah I hear ya. Two seasons ago the Pens were on an absolute roll going into the playoffs, and to a lesser extent, last year as well - especially compared to now. That's a big concern for me, and a big switch to flip as you mentioned.

I think Boston, Tampa and maybe even Toronto are all better than any of our potential first two round opponents. The Pens have an opportunity to get Murray on a roll before facing one of those teams, and of course, if we make it that far. That's really the main point I was trying to make.

:thumb:
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Only difference I see between Murray this year and Murray the past two years is that the defense and transition game is in a state of utter disrepair. The team simply can't stop turning pucks over or making simple plays. I do think it's a matter of mental fatigue and goes far beyond being correctable at this point. Sully has preached give-and-take with the stars since Day One, allowing that everyone needs to accept some of the negatives that go with ultra offensive talents, but the team has been bouncing back and forth between the tipping point all season. How poorly can they play in the defensive and neutral zone before their offense no longer outweighs the bad? They can still win, of course, because they can score by the dozen and they have a goalie that is playoff proven. Further, I don't think many teams stack up well against the Pens in a seven-game series.

I don't think Murray has played much differently from years past. He continues to struggle with the glove and picking up screened shots (like the one through Maatta last night). He is otherworldly when dealing with traffic and anything that is along the ice. He's calm and always in good position. All of his strengths are negated when <insert Penguins player> turns the puck over at <insert area of the ice> that leads to a <insert high-danger opportunity>.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:29 pm

I really appreciate all of the stats in the original post as it makes it somewhat hard to claim that Murray's just been hung out to dry by his teammates.

My best guess at an explanation is just that's been a tough year for him psychologically in that he had to become THE guy in net without much regular experience (even though he has 2 Cups), he's had to deal with various medium-term injuries, and his dad died. Hopefully, getting into his "comfort zone" of the playoffs will help him shake it all off.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:43 pm

Murray is not playing up to the standards that won him the starting job and the trust the organization had to allow the best goalie in franchise history to leave not only for nothing but also giving up a 2nd to protect Murray.

He needs to simply play better when needed. Last night all three of those goals were stoppable under the standards established the last two springs.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby wondermoose on Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:21 pm

DelPen wrote:Murray is not playing up to the standards that won him the starting job and the trust the organization had to allow the best goalie in franchise history to leave not only for nothing but also giving up a 2nd to protect Murray.

He needs to simply play better when needed. Last night all three of those goals were stoppable under the standards established the last two springs.

The second one was on a defensive breakdown that put Oshie into an excellent position to score. Maatta let Orlov back him down to the bottom of the circles and then not only failed to block the shot but also let himself be used as a screen. And then that third one was an unstoppable fluke (https://streamable.com/1tfx3). Tip from six feet wide, bounced off the ice and into the hole over the pad and under the glove.

Murray hasn't been perfect this year, but breakdowns in the transition game were again the reason for last night's loss.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RentedMule66 on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:14 pm

Hell yes. BTW, excellent, insightful, informative post! I'm hoping something clicks with Murray and he takes it up a notch when the playoffs start (actually hoping that for many of the Pens).
RentedMule66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:56 pm

We've got defence problems.

D is struggling. Letang, Hunwick, Dumo.. frankly everyone not from Finland has struggled.

Goalies aren't able to make up the difference consistently. We've goalies save the team's bacon, but only occasionally. Jarry, Murray, DeSmith. They've had their moments, but haven't been consistent.

Offence isn't doing enough to help out, the backchecking efforts aren't all there. Too much risk when the puck goes back to the blueline for a D shooting it. If it goes the other way, that's an odd-man situation every time. Plus we're not scoring enough to compensate.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:16 pm

Yeah the idea to me that they will just turn it on somehow is laughable. Goaltending has been mediocre at best all year and defense is terrible. This team has allowed almost 3.1g a game...I mean, come on. I was never sold on Murray even through the playoff runs when he was playing great...something about him always just made me uneasy. Now, he has performed mostly...well, the way I expected all along. I do not think that overall he is a long term Tier A goaltender, regardless of how great he can be at times. I think this team wins 1 round max honestly, much as I hate to say it. Now, that being said, I also said it was pretty much 100% they would miss the playoffs at the 40 game mark based on their performance through an entire HALF season, and then they proved me wrong with a fabulous 30 game stretch (seriously, what team goes .500 for a FULL HALF SEASON and then goes almost .750 for the next 30 games or so???). Could they turn out another fabulous 30 game stretch right now? Man I ****ing hope so. Do I expect or really think it will happen? No. However, since they have seemed adept at proving me wrong when I am being contrarian with regards to their chances, I can certainly hope they will continue doing so.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:18 am

I think we've got way more than just goaltending to be concerned about. I'm trying to convince myself it has nothing to do with losing Cole and/or Reaves, but this looks like a completely different team than the Jan 1st thru tradeline team we saw. Let's just hope they step into another gear because I don't see us matching the intensity of any of the eastern teams that we are fighting with right now.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:50 am

Murray has been hurt and lost his father. Come playoff time, he'll be ready (or he won't).
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby brwi on Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:37 pm

Penspal wrote:Murray has been hurt and lost his father. Come playoff time, he'll be ready (or he won't).

He was in solid form right before the concussion and I think he'll be very good once again in the post season. IT would be nice if he was tracking the puck a little better right now on longer shots, but Murray is the least of some glaring deficiencies. He'll have to be humongous if the Pens don't tighten it up as most expect they will.

What an extremely rare event it was last playoffs to have your goalies be Murray and MAF. Usually it's death to deep playoff hopes to lose your #1 goalie, but Pens had a luxury that you almost never see of 2 Cup winning goaltenders who were legit #1's when the post season started.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:21 pm

So, an article from Yohe about an hour ago says all the Penguins believe they can "flip the switch," that Malkin's "message" against the Caps wasn't to Washington but rather his own team telling them it is time to wake up and play, and that while fatigue from the Cups and back to backs has been an issue, it seems like this team is actually bored.

I guess I can see that to some extent, when you are tired and have played so many games.....and you play 82 games that are just filler getting you to when the games really matter. We'll find out next week, although, pretty much everyone expects Thursday to be a playoff game mentality, so that should be a good indicator. If the team is flat against Columbus, a potential first round matchup.....that's bad news.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:21 am

Colombus should feel like a playoff game, 2 Pts separate the other 4 teams. We can still finish as a wild card team I think.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:51 am

no name wrote:Colombus should feel like a playoff game, 2 Pts separate the other 4 teams. We can still finish as a wild card team I think.

We can still fall to WC2 if we don't pick up any points in the final two games. Heck, Columbus, who is tied with us in points, still hasn't clinched their playoff berth.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby indian on Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:55 am

Pens defensive philosophy over last two playoff runs was predicated on 5 men unit defending aggressively and transitioning from defense to offense quickly. It takes a lot of commitment from forwards to come back and sacrifice their bodies. We have made the playoffs, health at this point outweighs the seeding. They will be fine once the playoffs started, this team know how to adjust. They may not win every game but it will be hard to beat them in a 7 game series.
indian
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:54 pm

I get the idea that the team can adjust but how exactly is Murray going to stop letting in horrible goals? If they were goals he had no chance on because the team failed that’s on thing but he’s been giving up at least one if not two absolutely horrible goals we haven’t seen from him the last two years. He’s been brutal and Fleury was rightfully ridiculed for that period where we was playing just as bad as Murray is right now.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins