Current Playoff Scenarios

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Current Playoff Scenarios

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 am

Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Current Playoff Scenarios

Postby no name on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:02 am

Get a win tonight and claim the 2nd spot in our division. There really isn't a preferred match up with Phila, NJ and Colombus.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:05 am

I would prefer not to play NJ. The young upstarts are feeling pretty frisky right now.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:27 am

Let's just win the game tonight (even though 1 point would mean the same status for the Pens) and let the rest of the chips fall where they may on who their opponent is in the 1st round.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:58 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Let's just win the game tonight (even though 1 point would mean the same status for the Pens) and let the rest of the chips fall where they may on who their opponent is in the 1st round.

BEPF

I think that is the player's sentiment.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:29 am

The matchups in the West aren’t even set either and I think the only set one in the entire NHL now is Jets vs Wild which can be a great rivalry considering how relatively close those two cities are.

As for the Pens, depends which version we get. Do we get the team that seems to not give a crap outside a nice couple runs this year or do we get the Sullivan Spring version that just figures out how to win?

In either case it won’t matter who our opponent is for the most part, only team that can beat us is ourselves.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Is this strange to anyone else? A player gets scratched and then traded not because of his play but because of his relationship with the media? From DK.

•” This is no reason to scratch a player, much less trade him, but one of Mike Sullivan’s issues with Ian Cole was that he was a little too chummy with some of us in the media, at least in the coach’s eyes. There were times, both this season and last, when Cole was told not to be available in the locker room once reporters entered. Sullivan pays a good amount of attention to what’s written and spoken about his team, almost entirely from the perspective of wanting to keep an eye on his players. “
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:26 pm

Skatingpen wrote:Is this strange to anyone else? A player gets scratched and then traded not because of his play but because of his relationship with the media? From DK.

•” This is no reason to scratch a player, much less trade him, but one of Mike Sullivan’s issues with Ian Cole was that he was a little too chummy with some of us in the media, at least in the coach’s eyes. There were times, both this season and last, when Cole was told not to be available in the locker room once reporters entered. Sullivan pays a good amount of attention to what’s written and spoken about his team, almost entirely from the perspective of wanting to keep an eye on his players. “

One could consider that insubordination if they wanted to. We can give our opinions about this all we want, but this was an incredibly weak minded and emotionally fragile team before Sullivan came on board. Just look at some of the playoff meltdowns as examples. I think that's part of Sullivan keeping this team focused and keeping this team mentally strong. I think Hornqvist helps with that as well, but keeping the guys from whining at the refs, talking to reporters, etc. plays into it.

Agree with it or not, this team resembles the late 90s Red Wings in their demeanor in a lot of ways.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:23 pm

Great58 wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:Let's just win the game tonight (even though 1 point would mean the same status for the Pens) and let the rest of the chips fall where they may on who their opponent is in the 1st round.

BEPF

I think that is the player's sentiment.

Not my sentiment. This week I applied for and was awarded certification as a Hockey Fan - Novice Division. I am now permitted (and encouraged) to comment and speculate all things NHL, errors and all. Ha ha.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IntangibleBeer on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Humperdink wrote:I would prefer not to play NJ. The young upstarts are feeling pretty frisky right now.

I agree. They are fast and dangerous. Worst of all, Kincaid is playing out his ***.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:40 pm

Come on Sid. You gotta bury those

Sorry. Posted in the wrong thread.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:05 pm

If I were a betting man I think we get the Flyers, seems like they have the best chance to get points on Saturday.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Saskunitz on Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:39 pm

Doesn't sound like Columbus is too eager to finish 3rd. Scratching Panarin, Jones, Werenski, Atkinson, Murray and Wennberg tonight. Korpisalo in net.
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:32 pm

DelPen wrote:If I were a betting man I think we get the Flyers, seems like they have the best chance to get points on Saturday.

I could see Washington mailing this in so the Pens get the Devils in round 1.

Columbus is sitting everyone too.

I'll predict NJ wins and Flyers win Columbus loses.

Wash gets Philly and we get NJ.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:24 pm

Ovie wants the hat trick to get to 50. I think Washington plays hard, they also want some solid goaltending to go into the playoffs.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:33 pm

If I had to pick in order it would be Philly then Columbus and last would be New Jersey. I don't want to play New Jersey.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:39 pm

Saskunitz wrote:Doesn't sound like Columbus is too eager to finish 3rd. Scratching Panarin, Jones, Werenski, Atkinson, Murray and Wennberg tonight. Korpisalo in net.

Sounds like any place but winning and getting 3rd is fine with Columbus. Maybe Torts pulls Korpisalo for an extra attacker 10mins in.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Sat Apr 07, 2018 3:48 pm

Rags aren't showing much against the Flyboys.

Edit: Rags mailing it in. Losing 4-0, 2 minutes left in the 2nd.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pruezy11881 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:26 pm

If the Jackets aren't playing to win, good chance the are playing either TB or Boston. Philly has virtually already won their game. NJ beats a resting Caps and the are the 3 seed, Philly goes to the capital, and BJ's are #8.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Saskunitz on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:21 pm

Pruezy11881 wrote:If the Jackets aren't playing to win, good chance the are playing either TB or Boston. Philly has virtually already won their game. NJ beats a resting Caps and the are the 3 seed, Philly goes to the capital, and BJ's are #8.

Caps only resting Oshie. Devils scratched Hall, Palmieri, Zajac, Vatanen and are starting Schneider.
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Saskunitz on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:22 pm

Saskunitz wrote:
Pruezy11881 wrote:If the Jackets aren't playing to win, good chance the are playing either TB or Boston. Philly has virtually already won their game. NJ beats a resting Caps and the are the 3 seed, Philly goes to the capital, and BJ's are #8.

Caps only resting Oshie. Devils scratched Hall, Palmieri, Zajac, Vatanen and are starting Schneider.

I want Filthy.
Saskunitz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Humperdink wrote:Rags aren't showing much against the Flyboys.

Edit: Rags mailing it in. Losing 4-0, 2 minutes left in the 2nd.

That's about when I stopped watching. Hoping the big showdown with the Blues-Avs tonight is a lot better game. It sure should be as Avs have to win in regulation or it's bye bye. Either will get wiped out by the Preds, but they'll have at least made the playoffs.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:25 pm

Caps started out dominating NJ, but the Devils tied it up a bit against the run of play.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:12 pm

Caps beating jersey 3-1. If the Caps win there’s no way Columbus will win in Nashville. They don’t want the Pens.

I’ll take my chances with Philly. Had no idea Giroux got his 100th point plus today...

Whatever. They will go down.
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby flame on Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:33 pm

KG wrote:Caps beating jersey 3-1. If the Caps win there’s no way Columbus will win in Nashville. They don’t want the Pens.

I’ll take my chances with Philly. Had no idea Giroux got his 100th point plus today...

Whatever. They will go down.

Columbus is resting almost every important player they have. Watching this game sure looks like a tank job by Torts
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins