Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

Do the Pittsburgh Penguins have a goaltender controversy?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Do the Pittsburgh Penguins have a goaltender controversy?

Postby Lesky on Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:09 pm

Half jokingly of course, its a tradition to have this thread every year.

But could Sullivan be sending Murray a message? Like, "If you go on leaking goals" you are not untouchable.

I mean, I know Sullivan has faith in Murray,but maybe Murray needs a little wakeup call?
---
Obviously Murray will start in the playoffs, but I would rather have seen Murray get this shootout and a bit of a confidence booster after letting in 4 goals a game for a long time.

Its not easy for Murray to get back into the groove he had before the concussion when the defense is leaking like crazy, hard for him to get to the confidence level he needs to be at also.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Do the Pittsburgh Penguins have a goaltender controversy

Postby Great58 on Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:51 pm

No.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:26 am

Maybe not yet.. we will see after 2games in playoffs.. DeSmith has a case for it..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:38 am

No matter how **** Murray plays he will always be Sullivan's guy so If the best goalie in Penguins history after beat the Jackets and Caps can keep his job then there’s no water DeSmith takes Murray’s spot either.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:49 am

The job is Murray's, period. OTOH, two bad games in a row in the PO's and the new guy is in, if only temporary. Unless he does a "Murray" and plays lights out when given the opportunity. He then stays in the net. (I think I've covered all the bases here. Ha.)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:38 am

No, but there's a controversy on best wrist shot: Simon or Kessel. That's the key issue :D

I think Murray has 2 games without question and would have to suck in both to see DeSmith start, and Murray would back in goal shortly thereafter.
It might take even more than 2 games of sucking because Murray was standing in net for 2 Cup victories and especially has Sullivan's confidence as being The Man.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:58 am

Great58 wrote:No.

This is what people thought about Fleury. He was firmly part of the Core.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Puck-Lurker on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:26 am

Yes. But on the question who is 2nd in line or backup. These maybe either of Jarry and DeSmith for both questions.

Murray is your starter. Not any question.

Jarry I think sits on the bench as relief.

If Jarry gets to be necessary due to an injury or poor showings by Murray.... I firmly believe it's DeSmith's net next game. Not a popular opinion here I realise.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:44 am

Pitt87 wrote:
Great58 wrote:No.

This is what people thought about Fleury. He was firmly part of the Core.

Even Murray’s rookie 0.930 sv% and 2.00 gaa wouldn’t have displaced MAF from the playoff net in 2016. If Fleury hadn’t been concussed and unable to start, the decision to start Murray wouldn’t have happened.

Until DeSmith wins multiple playoff series, there is no controversy.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:52 am

Puck-Lurker wrote:Yes. But on the question who is 2nd in line or backup. These maybe either of Jarry and DeSmith for both questions.

Murray is your starter. Not any question.

Jarry I think sits on the bench as relief.

If Jarry gets to be necessary due to an injury or poor showings by Murray.... I firmly believe it's DeSmith's net next game. Not a popular opinion here I realise.

So I think you are saying it’s Murray with Jarry as back-up, but that if we have to go without Murray for an extended period, Jarry would have a very short leash for DeSmith to come in? I agree with that, with the thought being that Jarry is in WBS for playing time to maximize his readiness for the NHL playoffs, and that DeSmith will go down to WBS this week.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Weegie on Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:45 pm

You know Murray is going to start because he's Sully's boy, he's won two Cups and gets the big bucks for it so there is no way either one of the young guys starts over him, and thankfully he looked somewhat sharper the last game. But I also would think he would be on a semi short leash and if he does fail I would rather see DeSmith in there not Jarry, but you know Sully is hoping it doesn't come down to that.

Murray was a rookie phenom when he helped Fleury and the team win the Cups but I can't say that about DeSmith and certainly not Jarry.
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Antonio on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:02 pm

Out of curiosity, knowing what you know now... Would you have moved Murray instead of Fleury and if so, what would the required return have been?
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:54 pm

Antonio wrote:Out of curiosity, knowing what you know now... Would you have moved Murray instead of Fleury and if so, what would the required return have been?

Note that Fleury makes $2 mil more so the Brassard deal or Hornqvist re-signing may not take place.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:25 pm

No controversy... when the going gets tough, Murray gets meh...
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:50 am

Zero controversy. Murray has back to back Cups -- and still has just 111 appearances in the regular season. Him being Sullivan's guy has nothing to do with it. Murray has proven himself to be more than capable of handling the playoff pressure and thriving within it. DeSmith and Jarry might be good young goalies, but unless one is forced into action because of a Murray injury, neither takes the net. Period. The only reason Murray got his shot was because Fleury got hurt -- and that's the only way someone else will take the net from Murray.

As for who backs up Murray, I think it's clear they want DeSmith to be on the bench.

And, lastly, Murray vs. Fleury? No brainer. I go Murray every time, and it's not even close. Fleury is older and more expensive. Trading Murray might have brought a nice haul, but it wouldn't have created the cap space to retain Hornqvist. And, let's be honest, there's no gaurantee Fleury plays as well this season in Pittsburgh behind this porous defense as he is in Vegas' more structured system. I love Fleury. He's one of my all-time favorite Penguins. But his time was up. He moved on. Let's move on, too.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins