Do you feel the team is playoff ready now?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Do you feel the team is playoff ready now?

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:31 pm

Sounds like Brassard should be ready.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:50 pm

Maestro wrote:Yes,

Spoiler:
but they will lose in the conference finals to Tampa.

Who knows who will come out of the Atlantic. Three good teams there and a hot NJD playing a TBL with questionable health in Stamkos.
Last edited by Great58 on Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby theblackarts on Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:21 pm

I feel if ever there was a scenario in which it was difficult to judge a team's playoff readiness, it would be coming off back to back cups and kind of treading water into the playoffs. There is so much mental fortitude required that it's impossible to say if they want it and are willing to work for it more than Nashville etc.
theblackarts
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:21 pm

Sigwolf wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:
Daniel wrote:The only question is this. Can Murray handle NHL playoffs for a full run by himself. Without Fleury. He played all but 3 games in 2015-16 but only 11 games last year.

I think he does fine, but this is his first playoffs as the bonafide starter (last year he sort of was, but played less than half the playoff games). This year, he has no experienced backup.

If he can stay healthy and plays to his potential, I think the Pens will go deep.

Staying healthy is a HUGE question mark. There is no backup this year.

I think it's great that he won 2 straight Stanley Cups, but he's never won as "the guy". It's always been MAF who was the veteran starter and Murray was able to just play. Now, he's expected to win. Not saying he can't do it, so far he's shown that he can. BUT, that, along with what you said about staying healthy, have to be considered question marks.

His "all but 3 games" 2 years ago, and "only 11" games last year just happen to include the last two rounds both years. I think he has proved he can stand tall when the pressure is on...

He's proven with Fleury on the bench. You don't think there's a different mentality and expectation this year compared to the last two years? Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Fleury was a huge positive influence and Murray didn't have the pressure he will this year.

I think he can do it, but also think it's a question mark.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins