FLPensFan Round 1 Matchup Review: Pens vs Flyers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

FLPensFan Round 1 Matchup Review: Pens vs Flyers

Postby FLPensFan on Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:21 pm

Here's a quick look at my breakdown ahead of the Penguins-Flyers first game on Wednesday:

Forwards: The Penguins and Flyers both have 5 players who scored over 20 goals. Giroux bouncing back this year, and Couturier having a monster season making them a formidible group up front. They have young guys like Konecny and Patrick that have produced. What the Flyers lack, though, is a lot of playoff experience. Beyond Filppula, Giroux, and Simmonds, they don't have much experience up front. Brassard and his playoff prowess could be a huge difference. The Penguins ranked 3rd in Goals For per game, Philly was 11th.
EDGE: Slight PIT

Defense: Many have concerns about the Penguins defense. The Penguins get a first round opponent with a visibly worse defensive core than their own. Provorov is good all around. Gostisbehere is similar to Letang....puts up points but can have his lapses on defense. McDonald is ok. The concern for Philly is after those 3. Gudas, Manning, Haag, and Sanheim. Those first 3 all play a physical game that can be tough to play against, but in terms of actually defending....meh. I think the Penguins will expose these defenseman, just like they have done to other teams 3rd pairs in the playoffs the last 2 years.
EDGE: PIT

Goaltending: Matt Murray has two Cups. Flyers goaltending is always shaky and their playoff downfall. The Flyers were actually better in Goals Against per game this season than Pittsburgh (Flyers 14th, Penguins 20th). The Penguins will need Murray to find his form after finishing the season with the worst numbers he's had over the past 3 years (playoffs or regular season). The Flyers advantage is they have better overall depth. If Elliott is the starter, Mrazek and Neuvirth are much more capable backups than DeSmith or Jarry.
EDGE: Slight PIT

PowerPlay: Here's where the gap starts to widen. Penguins PP was 1st overall. Flyers PK was 29th overall. Flyers PP was only 15th overall. A physical Philly team taking penalties.....this could get ugly for the Flyers real fast.
EDGE: Strong PIT

Penalty Kill: Penguins were 17th overall on the PK compared to the Flyers 29th. Neither team is strong here.
EDGE: Push

Injuries: Both teams are relatively healthy. Neuvirth and Oduya for the Flyers, Brassard and Rowney for the Penguins. Brassard and Oduya are both important to their clubs lineups. I believe all 4 players will be healthy enough to play if the coach chooses to use them.
EDGE: Push

Playing Style: The Flyers aren't slow, but they don't bring the type of speed New Jersey or a Toronto or Tampa can bring. While the rivalry will heat things up, the Flyers also haven't played the Penguins as physical to date this season.

Coaching: Hakstol has done a good job getting the team here, but I do believe he is going to be outmatched by Sullivan.

Intangibles: Penguins swept the series this year. The Penguins put up a 5 spot in all 4 of their games against Philly. The Flyers also have the least home wins of any team in the playoffs, which should help the Penguins work on their road issues early. There's also the fact that Phil Kessel is a back to back Stanley Cup champion.
EDGE: Strong PIT

Tried not to be a homer here, but I just really didn't see anything/anywhere the Flyers deserved better marks. For a team that has looked so-so at times this season, the Flyers are probably the best first round matchup the Penguins could have hoped for. If the Penguins struggle and continue to look disinterested against the Flyers, the 3 peat talk will go out the window quick.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Re: FLPensFan Round 1 Matchup Review: Pens vs Flyers

Postby wondermoose on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:03 pm

I think conventional wisdom would suggest conventional matchups go out the window for these two teams. The only thing that matters to me is that Sully keeps the team focused because you just know Malkin and Letang will be a hair's width away from losing their minds at any given point in the series.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Owchar76 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:34 pm

Flyers ranked 18th in the league in PIMS/G, the Pens were 7th. (high to low) As much as the PK has been better as of late, I'd hope the Pens cut down on their penalties.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fast B on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:09 pm

My preview: They suck. We will crush them.
Fast B
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:25 pm

wondermoose wrote:I think conventional wisdom would suggest conventional matchups go out the window for these two teams. The only thing that matters to me is that Sully keeps the team focused because you just know Malkin and Letang will be a hair's width away from losing their minds at any given point in the series.

Sully knows how important it is to get the 1st series win in short order. He will keep this team focused and I think the Pens win in 5. Hope is that Columbus gives Washington all they can handle and it goes 7 given how strong Columbus has played and how inconsistent Holtby has been.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:25 pm

I think the flyers defensemen top to bottom can be better than ours. But this series will come down to goaltending. Even with Murray playing like garbage the last month he’s at worst even with the trash the Flyers have on their best days.

If Murray and Letang don’t play dumb we have this series but there’s zero guaruntee that happens.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:16 am

Any news on Brassard?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bsgg-penguinsbrazil on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:54 am

It's a great rivalry and playoff hockey, so my guess is it's gonna take us 6 games.

My only fear is if they put Patrick vs Geno and Couturier(hate this dude) vs Crosby and it works, something similar to 2012 (of course our team is way, waaay better now). If Hakstol puts Filppula vs Crosby they stand no chance. Also we can't make the mistake of trying to compete with them in hits and toughness, I believe this way they will beat us everytime, our game is speed and skill based, can't lose our identity.

Hoping to see Murray performing playoff-mode, Sid having a huge series and Brassard with, how we say here in Br, blood in the eyes. Penguins in 6. Lets GOOOOO
bsgg-penguinsbrazil

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:16 am

bsgg-penguinsbrazil wrote:It's a great rivalry and playoff hockey, so my guess is it's gonna take us 6 games.

My only fear is if they put Patrick vs Geno and Couturier(hate this dude) vs Crosby and it works, something similar to 2012 (of course our team is way, waaay better now). If Hakstol puts Filppula vs Crosby they stand no chance. Also we can't make the mistake of trying to compete with them in hits and toughness, I believe this way they will beat us everytime, our game is speed and skill based, can't lose our identity.

Hoping to see Murray performing playoff-mode, Sid having a huge series and Brassard with, how we say here in Br, blood in the eyes. Penguins in 6. Lets GOOOOO

It will come down to the third line putting up points again this series.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:05 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:Any news on Brassard?

Jason Mackey

@JMackeyPG
Derick Brassard on the ice, wearing a normal sweater.

10:57 AM - Apr 9, 2018

Looks like he's good to go :thumb:
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:09 am

I disagree with Offense and goaltending. While the Flyers have some high end guys, they lack the depth the Penguins have. While I wouldn't call it a strong edge, I also wouldn't call it a slight edge. Pens' offense has the definitive edge over Fleyrs'. In goal, not sure how you can call Murray anything but dominant over Flyers' goalies. Regular season numbers might bear that out, but this isn't the regular season, and we're talking about a 23 year old with 111 career starts and two Stanley Cups vs. three journeymen. Dominant edge in goaltending.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:35 am

In regard to the goaltending match up, I know Murray has been inconsistent this year, but I guess looking at this match up from the perspective of a Flyers fan has to be pretty terrifying.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:39 am

KG wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:Any news on Brassard?

Jason Mackey

@JMackeyPG
Derick Brassard on the ice, wearing a normal sweater.

10:57 AM - Apr 9, 2018

Looks like he's good to go :thumb:

:thumb:
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:42 am

Defence21 wrote:I disagree with Offense and goaltending. While the Flyers have some high end guys, they lack the depth the Penguins have. While I wouldn't call it a strong edge, I also wouldn't call it a slight edge. Pens' offense has the definitive edge over Fleyrs'. In goal, not sure how you can call Murray anything but dominant over Flyers' goalies. Regular season numbers might bear that out, but this isn't the regular season, and we're talking about a 23 year old with 111 career starts and two Stanley Cups vs. three journeymen. Dominant edge in goaltending.

I dunno, let's look at the offense first, starting with each side's top guns.
Crosby, Malkin, Kessel, Hornqvist = Giroux, Vorachek, Couturier, Simmonds
I'm going to give the Penguins the edge there. But it's the experience more than anything.
Crosby>Giroux
Malkin>Couturier
Kessel>Vorachek
Hornqvist>>Simmonds

Production wise further down the lineup
Sheary = Patrick
Guentzel = Konecny
Brassard > Filppula

You are then left comparing Hagelin, Sheahan, Rust, ZAR, and Kuhnhackl with Weise, Weal, Read, Raffl, Lindblom, and Laughton.
Sheahan > Lehtera
Weise > Kuhnhackl
ZAR = Lindblom
Hagelin > Raffl
Rust > Laughton

Penguins are getting the edge in my book in most of these one on one's, but in a lot of situations, it's not a huge edge.

In terms of goaltending, I'd take Matt Murray over all 3 of the Flyers goalies, but I'd take all 3 of the Flyers over DeSmith (and I like DeSmith). Something happens to Murray, which is very plausible with his history, the Flyers goaltending suddenly becomes much better than the Penguins. Also, just like this team pretty much as a whole everywhere.....Murray has to show he can flip the switch. He's had his worst numbers to date (regular season or post season) during this regular season

11 games, 1.70GAA, .937SV% (16-17 playoffs)
13 games, 2.00GAA, .930SV% (15-16 regular season)
21 games, 2.08GAA, .923SV% (15-16 playoffs)
49 games, 2.41GAA, .921SV% (16-17 regular season)
49 games, 2.98GAA, .907SV% (17-18 regular season)

The Penguins need Murray to be back around 2.25GAA and .920SV% if they hope to go deep in the playoffs.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:46 am

http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?543480-Flyers-vs-Penguins-First-Round&s=5a068357b41a06885d5a84928ec0f5a7

Wow, I thought the Flyer fans would be talking trash or atleast have some faith in their team...
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 am

no name wrote:http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?543480-Flyers-vs-Penguins-First-Round&s=5a068357b41a06885d5a84928ec0f5a7

Wow, I thought the Flyer fans would be talking trash or atleast have some faith in their team...

One of the more interesting comments in your link: " .....They (the Flyers) need to play dirty. Run the goalie a few times. So what if the Pens get a couple of PP goals early."
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:46 am

no name wrote:http://www.phillysportsforums.com/forums/showthread.php?543480-Flyers-vs-Penguins-First-Round&s=5a068357b41a06885d5a84928ec0f5a7

That was interesting, and at some opints laughable. "Playing against the refs?"

If anything, I think the Flyers are going to take advantage of the "lack of calls, let them play" playoff mentality.

Pens have to do what they've done the past few years.

- find the infraction line each game and play up to it, but don't cross it. Getting in penalty trouble results in losses.
- keep their cool BUT play with emotion. Getting in penalty trouble results in losses.
- play right up to the whistle, but turn face after the whistle. Getting in penalty trouble results in losses.
- pray that you don't get injured, keep your head up.
- once the switch is "flipped", keep it on until the end of game
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:02 am

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2018 ... fs-clutch/

DK's article today sums up best my feelings on the series. The Pens have an overwhelming edge in playoff experience. Not just experience. Success. Also, a nice glimpse into Brassard's personality in the room.

Conor Sheary knows clutch. He’s lived it.

It was June 1, 2016, inside a pulsating PPG Paints Arena. The Stanley Cup Final. Game 2. Two-and-a-half minutes into overtime. Faceoff deep in the Sharks’ zone. Sidney Crosby was buzzing around the circle to whisper a few words into his teammates’ ears, like a maestro tapping his wand to catch the orchestra’s attention.

And then, the crescendo …

Funny, but no one checks for clutch credentials after one of those.

I approached C. Sheary at his stall Monday morning at the Lemieux Sports Complex. He was unlacing his skates after the team’s first pre-playoff practice, all concerned preparing for Game 1 Wednesday against the Flyers, and I’d hoped to ask him about having the chance to work alongside a freshly returned Derick Brassard and Phil Kessel, two famously clutch postseason performers, and whether that might benefit him.

“Wow, of course,” Sheary came right back. “When you’re playing with great players, guys who’ve proven themselves in the playoffs, that can only make you that much better. I’ve had my struggles at times in the playoffs, like last year, and if I do struggle again, I think those guys will pick me up and …”

That’s when Brassard, seated at the next stall, interrupted.

“You’re not going to struggle.”

He looked Sheary right in the eye, then repeated it.

“You’re not going to struggle. You won’t. This is the good time of year. The best time.”

Patric Hornqvist’s got a couple rings himself, and he’s wearing those in large part because, for all his hyper-drive energy, he kept his composure enough to whack that puck out of midair off Pekka Rinne’s hindquarters:

Surely, he’d be in the category of rising up. This is someone who tries to outdo himself from shift to shift, never mind regular season to playoffs.

“Oh, for sure,” Hornqvist answered. “You can only push yourself so much game after game after game in the regular season. You want to, but it’s normal to have nights where you aren’t at your best. So when playoffs come, that’s when you just take it to another level.”

OK, but what about that goal?

If he’s the type to shrink or overthink, how does he pull off what’s tantamount to a gimmick shot one would ordinarily try only at an optional skate?

“Well, yeah. I see what you mean. I think you have to have that confidence but also to make sure you’re not going too far. You can’t overdo it with excitement.”

It's hard to quantifiable experience, but there's no doubt the majority of this Pens team have been there, done that. I listened to the Jackets announcers the other night hyping the fact the Jackets need to get over the hump because they've never won a playoff series. They need to learn how to win. The bulk of this Pens team has won eight straight series. for whatever experience is worth, they sure do have a lot of it.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KG on Tue Apr 10, 2018 10:58 am

I love that Brassard quote. You're not gonna struggle...Sheary seems like the kind of personality that needs to get his tires pumped once in a while. Hopefully that line plays well. It has all the makings of a great "3rd" line...
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:37 pm

KG wrote:I love that Brassard quote. You're not gonna struggle...Sheary seems like the kind of personality that needs to get his tires pumped once in a while. Hopefully that line plays well. It has all the makings of a great "3rd" line...

I think that Brassard just looks at it for what it actually is, not for what people want to make it. Fans and writers are always fussing over match-ups and who the opponent may or may not be. Fussing over Peaking too early or on a cold streak. There is even an "are they ready" thread here. Brassard is just like, *Now is what we do this for. We play 82 games to get HERE. It doesn't matter who we play or don't play. You have to win 4 of 7 no matter what. The other guys need to win 4 of 7. You play 82 games to get to this 4 to 28 game stretch. Period.*
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:09 pm

Humperdink wrote:

One of the more interesting comments in your link: " .....They (the Flyers) need to play dirty. Run the goalie a few times. So what if the Pens get a couple of PP goals early."

It's really all they've got. Remember that the Flyers ran Murray in the last regular season match-up of 2017? They have a history of running our goalies.

And dirty play? They wrote the book.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:48 pm

IntangibleBeer wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

It's really all they've got. Remember that the Flyers ran Murray in the last regular season match-up of 2017? They have a history of running our goalies.

The Flyers have had it in for the Pens' goalies ever since Megna destroyed Mason right before the playoffs.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Sigwolf on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:09 pm

Malkintent wrote:
IntangibleBeer wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

The Flyers have had it in for the Pens' goalies ever since Megna destroyed Mason right before the playoffs.

Except for the fact that they've been running Pens goalies since Barrasso, if not longer...
Sigwolf
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ziggo on Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:27 pm

So far Fast B is right. Crush,Crush,Crush.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins