SCP18 Game 2 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 2 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:45 am

Pens lose 5-1

- Game was closer than the score illustrates, but the Pens did not have the jump they should of had the the Flyers corrected some issues from game 1
- Very few LGP'ers predicted a Pens sweep, so the Pens had to lose a game or two somewhere, this was one
- Refs had a bad game last night, nor horrible, but not good either. They played like the Pens did :oops: Horny embellishment was malarky, watch the play at normal speed, no chance for Horny.
- the Rust & ZAR penalties cost the Pens, take those as examples as I'm sure HCMS will do & convince the players to not do that again
- Sid had the breakaway and the powerplay opportunity, he missed on both and was pissed. That will translate into a big game three for him
- Pens are lucky to still have Letang after that collision. Not suspension worthy, but there was an element of dirtiness to it. Giroux could see Kris there & threw himself back into Letang.... long series Claude :twisted:
- Murray had a couple of bad breaks, he'll come back strong on game three as well.
- This game ratcheted up the hate a little more, now we've got a playoff series
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 2 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:05 am

As I said after last game, it’s just one game.

But when even the broadcast team has no idea what’s going on with officiating in their marquee series the NHL has a serious problem. That entire game start to finish was a joke.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:48 am

The dreaded late and early goal. The Flyers were playing for their lives.
It takes me a game or 2 to realize it is all about maintaining an even demeanor in this series.
I wanted a sweep because of my irrational hate of all things flyers.
Malarky of the highest degree on that Hornqvist penalty.
Hoping to see the clutch Phil on Sunday-
The penguins brought their swagger on Wednesday, now it is all about who wants the extra inch on the ice.

I trust Coach Sullivan to get their attention.

Karma coming for Giroux-
Mike Rupp
‏Verified account @Rupper17

Mike Rupp Retweeted NHL on NBC

IMO this is absolutely no accident... I've watched the slo-mo 20 times. As a player there are "hidden" opportunities in gameplay to get away with a little extra. This is EXACTLY that (but not a little)! Dangerous play, getting that kind of extra shot in...
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby largegarlic on Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:13 am

Kind of a weird game. The Pens lost 5-1, but you could make the case that they played well enough to win that game more often than not.

--On that note, it's very unlikely that the Flyers can win 4 games getting ~20 shots/game. The Pens are generally playing very good defense and are not allowing many good scoring chances.
--The Pens seemed to have gotten too enamored with the pretty passing plays of game 1, and when those weren't on last night, they didn't resort to just getting pucks to the net and going to work on the rebounds. Even though they ended with 35 shots, they should have 40+ with all of the looks and zone time they had.
--This is especially true for the #1 PP unit. During the game, I was thinking Sullivan should start the 2nd unit to send a message to the top guys.
--Oleksiak was a very good pick-up, especially for playoff hockey. He can lay out some big hits, can in guys' faces after dirty plays and threaten them into backing down, and has the occasional rush where he can skate the puck out of the zone instead of just chipping it off the glass.
--This might be an unpopular opinion here, but I'm OK with the embellishment call on Hornqvist. My initial reaction seeing it live was that Hornqvist sold that quite a bit.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:36 am

I apologize, I was wrong on the Giroux hit. After seeing the other angle today, it’s clear that it was no accident. CBC kept showing the same angle and it honestly looked like it was inevitable that they would collide. The game is so damn fast now that I gave him the benefit of the doubt in that he couldn’t move in time. I’m not like many on here that just accuse every non Pens player of evil doings. I tried and honestly watched it over and over and wasn’t convinced it was intentional. Today after seeing the other angle I can admit I was wrong. My apologies.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby FLPensFan on Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:41 am

I'll continue to beat a dead horse.......

--Even though game 1 was won 7-0, it sure would be nice to have one more quality forward in the lineup, especially when you are only giving Sheary 6 minutes of 5on5 ice time. Too bad the Penguins don't have any stud wingers in WBS, like a guy who just set the WBS rookie goal scoring record last night, and with 2 games remaining, is only 3 points off the AHL rookie scoring lead with more than 10 less games played on the leader. :roll: :roll:

--Penguins just seemed slow much of the night. They weren't bringing the same speed through the neutral zone. Maybe part of that was because Philly was lining up in a 1-2-2 much of the time. The Penguins weren't dominated, but they seemed to let the Flyers dictate the pace of the game in the Flyers favor.

--I think it is finally time that Sullivan revamp the lines. Again, yes, 7-0 in Game 1, however, the 3rd line continues to be a concern. Everyone wants to hang it on Brassard, and, I am going to as well....but from a different angle. Brassard is saddled with two non-defensive players on his line. Add in that Kessel is clearly not 100%, and I think it often forces Brassard into a more defensive roll on that line. Sully needs to bring some balance to the 3rd line. Maybe move Jake down there, and put either Sheary or ZAR on Crosby's LW.

--I expect a better effort tomorrow.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:14 pm

murphydump55 wrote:I apologize, I was wrong on the Giroux hit. After seeing the other angle today, it’s clear that it was no accident. CBC kept showing the same angle and it honestly looked like it was inevitable that they would collide. The game is so damn fast now that I gave him the benefit of the doubt in that he couldn’t move in time. I’m not like many on here that just accuse every non Pens player of evil doings. I tried and honestly watched it over and over and wasn’t convinced it was intentional. Today after seeing the other angle I can admit I was wrong. My apologies.

Felt the same way as you seeing it yesterday. Especially because Giroux checked on Letang after to ask if he was okay. But watching the other angle, he lined it up.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Inkio wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:I apologize, I was wrong on the Giroux hit. After seeing the other angle today, it’s clear that it was no accident. CBC kept showing the same angle and it honestly looked like it was inevitable that they would collide. The game is so damn fast now that I gave him the benefit of the doubt in that he couldn’t move in time. I’m not like many on here that just accuse every non Pens player of evil doings. I tried and honestly watched it over and over and wasn’t convinced it was intentional. Today after seeing the other angle I can admit I was wrong. My apologies.

Felt the same way as you seeing it yesterday. Especially because Giroux checked on Letang after to ask if he was okay. But watching the other angle, he lined it up.

Yeah add me to the list as I watched the CBC feed last night too...
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:30 pm

With Letang not practicing today- healing vibes Kristopher, tomorrow is about a game 3 victory. IT is not about fake avenging the hit. Reset- focus.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby flame on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:46 pm

WTF did ZAR do wrong? Was that not a phantom boarding call?
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:49 pm

Besides ref frustration, Pens failed to capitalize on Elliot coming out very shaky for most of the 1st, forgetting how well shooting often and from anywhere worked in Game 1. After, Elliot started finding his way and was solid the rest of the game.

The PP was also a real buzzkill and teams like the Flyers are finally realizing how the Pens zone entry attempts always start with Schultz lugging the puck up to about 15 feet behind center ice and dropping it back to Kessel to carry the rest of the way on the wing and sometimes Malkin if Phil isn't around. Way too predictable and it's making zone entry clumsy. With Letang in, he carries the mail performance in Game 1whole way and the numbers don't lie, Pens' PP is definitely better production-wise with Letang. Schultz likes to let it go from the point, but he mainly wears out the goaltender's crest and if there isn't much traffic in front or a timely tip, the saves are too easy. He had a load of shots last night that Elliot saw all the way. Need more than just Hornqvist trying to do it all. Jake can, Sid can, they just have to get there when they see Schultz getting the puck.

3rd line was bad again and obviously Sullivan had his eye on that line coming into the game after their performance in Game 1 because he had a quick trigger in moving Sheary off and replacing with ZAR, then going back again with Sheary. Brassard-Phil-Sheary isn't working and I'd move Jake down there. Put ZAR up on the #1 line and Sheary on the 4th this series at least. How the Flyers play and hit is a little much for Sheary right now.

Think there will be a smarter effort in Game 3 and maybe a little puck luck go the Pens way again.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:36 pm

- this game to me is blah. We highly outshot and outchanced them. Elliott outplayed Murray which is an anamoly. They got almost all the bounces and breaks last night, including favorable calls... It happens sometimes. Next.
- Flyers did great job limiting our clean entries compared to game 1. Smart adjustment Hakstol. Do we see more chip and chase game 3? We still got plenty of shots/chances game 2.
- Agree with comments on 3rd line. Not sure of solution. Sheahan-Kessel seems to work so much better than Brassard-Kessel due to Phil's lack of D. Would Brassard on 4th line get enough minutes to justify that adjustment?
- Kuhnhackl also seems like weak link to me.
- I am here to eat crow on Crosby-Rust. Much better chemistry together now compared to Jan-March.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:56 pm

It's a one-off.
The embellishment call was criminal.

Letang should have been kept in the isolation room.

Brassard and Kessel should never be together on the same sheet of ice again.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:37 pm

I'm not nearly as upset with the outcome of this game so much as how they lost. They lost their composure and looked like they were ready to go full 2012. Sully really needs to address this stuff because they can't afford to get into a series that is based on special teams. They're KILLING the Flyers at 5v5.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby flame on Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:45 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:- this game to me is blah. We highly outshot and outchanced them. Elliott outplayed Murray which is an anamoly. They got almost all the bounces and breaks last night, including favorable calls... It happens sometimes. Next.
- Flyers did great job limiting our clean entries compared to game 1. Smart adjustment Hakstol. Do we see more chip and chase game 3? We still got plenty of shots/chances game 2.
- Agree with comments on 3rd line. Not sure of solution. Sheahan-Kessel seems to work so much better than Brassard-Kessel due to Phil's lack of D. Would Brassard on 4th line get enough minutes to justify that adjustment?
- Kuhnhackl also seems like weak link to me.
- I am here to eat crow on Crosby-Rust. Much better chemistry together now compared to Jan-March.

The only thing I can think of is to scratch Sheary or Kuhnackl and dress Jooris as 4th line C and move Brassard to wing if Brassard at C w Kessel isn’t gonna Work
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:02 pm

Jooris is serviceable but if I was the 2 time cup defending coach I would try to add a weapon the Flyers aren't thinking about.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sprong
Hags-geno-Phil
Rust-Brass-Horny
Sheary-Riley-ZAR
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:32 pm

Honestly, this game, that I watched on delay late, was a situation where the Penguins looked very good early but just could not break the ice. The Flyboys decided to goon it up and it paid off. This will be there mantra the rest of the series and if you think it was chippy last night just wait. The Flyers will continue to do whatever it takes to win and if the refs do not continue to call penalties it is gonna suck. The Penguins need to shoot more on the power play. Especially Phil. He continually tries to make the tic tac toe pass instead of sniping and hoping for rebound tuck ins. Phil has been absent the last two games. He is the key. Crosby and Geno gonna do what they do, but Phil needs to be the x factor.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crashguy66 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:02 pm

I really believe Phil has some sort of hand / wrist / arm injury. If Sid scores on either one of his 2 glorious chances, different game. How many posts? 4? They'll get it together.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:09 pm

What still puzzles me is how Letang got cut/blood on his left hand after the Giroux hit. Seen the replay of the hit plenty and it can't be that and I wonder if it happened before. I thought he went to the dressing room not for concussion protocol but to get stitches. I wonder if concussion anything was going on.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby flame on Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:12 pm

brwi wrote:What still puzzles me is how Letang got cut/blood on his left hand after the Giroux hit. Seen the replay of the hit plenty and it can't be that and I wonder if it happened before. I thought he went to the dressing room not for concussion protocol but to get stitches. I wonder if concussion anything was going on.

I just assumed he was in protocol for the hit to the head and that he probably got cut from his stick somehow jamming into his hand maybe
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:14 am

New entry to Webster's Dictionary. Embellishment- the act of hurling one's head into a wall risking a career ending injury for the futile purpose of changing the outcome of a contest that was pretty much decided.

Pierre so much wants this series to be a repeat of 2012. Ain't gonna happen. Sullivan is not Bylsma and Hakstol is not that idiot Laviolette. The only thing close to that series is when Giroux James Nealed Letang. And by the way, Pierre, do your scouting on who quarterback's our pathetic power play.

ZAR's biggest mistake on the penalty is that he is a rookie. He was probably confused that play wasn't a penalty the first 18 minutes of the game.

Please shoot Phil.

If Phil won't shoot, then Brassard and Sheahan should trade spots.

Late season penalty kill resurfaced.

Flyers were never 7-0 bad, nor were they 4(or 5)-1 good. Tight games probably start today. Game 1- shots found holes. Game 2- Shots found iron and leather.

Knechblahblah had a great goal. Would have liked Murray to seal the corner but that shot was really high quality. Malkinesque.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:26 am

Inkio wrote:

All that means is Giroux isn't a total piece of ****. He knew what he was doing but I don't think he wanted to hurt him like that. It's not like he's a Tom Wilson or Marchand.

But in December that's possibly a major for interference and a hearing for at least a fine. NHL got it wrong even after the fact with not even a fine.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Penspal on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:03 am

Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins