Official GDT: ROUND 1, GAME 4 - 4/18/18 Pens @ Flyers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 1, GAME 4 - 4/18/18 Pens @ Flyers

Postby Liverlips on Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:30 pm

Just wow:

Penguins PR
‏ @PensPRLady
47m47 minutes ago

With his 5-0 shutout tonight, @mattmurray_30 recorded his 25th career playoff win in 36 games played, making him the fastest NHL goalie to reach that milestone.

Code: Select all
Matt Murray      36GP
Bill Duman*      37GP
Terry Sawchuck*  37GP
Gerry Cheevers*  37GP
Grant Fuhr*      37GP
Patrick Roy*     37GP

* = HHOF
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 pm

K I think I’m getting this now. Murray clearly stinks and his glove hand sucks. His numbers in his playoff career clearly prove this. Well maybe not, but a certain poster on here thinks so, as do many others on other boards. Mind boggling.

Kris Letang is awful and we don’t need him because we won last year without him. Except he’s been an absolute beast and our transition and possession game looks amazing with him right now. The stupid errors are being eliminated gradually and you can see his value.

Sid is a only a 20+ goal scorer. I remember reading this on here. That’s funny.

The Sheahan trade was bad and stupid and whatever else was said because of his struggles last year. The guy has been great and rediscovered his game much like I and many others were saying could easily happen.

Sheary? Beast mode in Philly. Enough said.

Dumo? Unreal series thus fair. He and Letang are lights out. Even though many think they are our worst pairing. Letang’s bonehead plays created a nasty recency bias. The numbers said otherwise. They are solid.

Ruhwedel. Not enough credit.

Close this ***** out at home.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby America on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:17 am

murphydump55 wrote:K I think I’m getting this now. Murray clearly stinks and his glove hand sucks. His numbers in his playoff career clearly prove this. Well maybe not, but a certain poster on here thinks so, as do many others on other boards. Mind boggling.

Kris Letang is awful and we don’t need him because we won last year without him. Except he’s been an absolute beast and our transition and possession game looks amazing with him right now. The stupid errors are being eliminated gradually and you can see his value.

The Sheahan trade was bad and stupid and whatever else was said because of his struggles last year. The guy has been great and rediscovered his game much like I and many others were saying could easily happen.

Dumo? Unreal series thus fair. He and Letang are lights out. Even though many think they are our worst pairing. Letang’s bonehead plays created a nasty recency bias. The numbers said otherwise. They are solid.

His glove hand in general is very weak.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:19 am

murphydump55 wrote: Dumo? Unreal series thus fair.

Dumoulin.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:55 am

America wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:K I think I’m getting this now. Murray clearly stinks and his glove hand sucks. His numbers in his playoff career clearly prove this. Well maybe not, but a certain poster on here thinks so, as do many others on other boards. Mind boggling.

Pretty tough to put up those playoff numbers with a weak glove hand. You think these professional players would expose this weakness, yet his numbers in the playoffs tell a different story. If my goalie is going to have a .930 save% and 1.88 GAA in the playoffs with a weak glove hand, then I'll accept this supposed weak glove hand. :face: :scared:
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 am

murphydump55 wrote:K

Asking for friends... is this OK, okay, or to a member, Kay? 8-)

Finish them Friday; on that we agree!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:40 am

penny lane wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:K

Asking for friends... is this OK, okay, or to a member, Kay? 8-)

Wondering that myself. At first, I thought the poster was referring to the baseball term for strikeout.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:54 am

Liverlips wrote:Just wow:

Penguins PR
‏ @PensPRLady
47m47 minutes ago

With his 5-0 shutout tonight, @mattmurray_30 recorded his 25th career playoff win in 36 games played, making him the fastest NHL goalie to reach that milestone.

Code: Select all
Matt Murray      36GP
Bill Duman*      37GP
Terry Sawchuck*  37GP
Gerry Cheevers*  37GP
Grant Fuhr*      37GP
Patrick Roy*     37GP

* = HHOF

Anybody in this town who still doesn't appreciate Murray just doesn't even understand what they're watching.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:03 am

brwi wrote:That was an excellent all-around performance. Definitely in the top-3 of the season so far.

The way the Pens' stars are playing right now has got to be chilling to the rest of the league. Some of the scoring plays they are making are demoralizing.
Geno's play to Kessel on the 2-on-1 immediately following Philly's most dominant shift of the year...I don't know if I could ever say that a single play has broken a team in a playoff series, but if it's ever happened, that was it.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jreed on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:03 pm

This is a Pens team that seems to be oozing confidence. They like where their game is and the players and coaches know how to win playoff series'. Game-wise there are a couple of teams with more playoff experience, but no one has had as much success as the Penguins. With a team that has been largely intact from their last two runs, I don't think there is anyone out there that will want to face them. They are hitting on all cylinders right now.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:40 pm

America wrote:

You’re probably a flat-earther too.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:58 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
America wrote:

Interesting ad hominem attack.

Maybe it's just me and another poster or two, but as I recall throughout the REGULAR season, the knock on Murray was his weak glove. His play during this series has been very good, but then so has the entire team, excepting game 2. Heck in one playoff game, the P.F. Flyers had four (4) power plays and zero shots. Two (2) shutouts in four (4) playoff games does not constitute a great glove hand.

Murray has shown he is terrific goalie when the chips are down. Hopefully that will continue.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:24 pm

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
America wrote:

Maybe it's just me and another poster or two, but as I recall throughout the REGULAR season, the knock on Murray was his weak glove. His play during this series has been very good, but then so has the entire team, excepting game 2. Heck in one playoff game, the P.F. Flyers had four (4) power plays and zero shots. Two (2) shutouts in four (4) playoff games does not constitute a great glove hand.

Murray has shown he is terrific goalie when the chips are down. Hopefully that will continue.

All goalies get beat glove side, that and low blocker are where shooters go more often than not. I think the fact remains that while Murray had an up and down regular season, he's still a damn great goalie. I think if his glove hand was really that weak, it would be exposed a lot more and make him more of a league average goalie. The fact that he remains a top goalie in the league with this supposed weakness shows how weak it really is.

His biggest weakness is staying healthy.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:46 am

I’m getting a sense of extreme overconfidence by the fans and tabloids, that this series is over, and maybe it is. On the TIOPS site, they report that the Flyers have mentally checked out and they’re essentially not in the same league as the Pens. This attitude concerns me and I hope the Pens take their opponent seriously and don’t fall into lackadaisical play. It may only take one break for this series to head back to Philly. LGP.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Wyopen on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:51 am

Let me add a comment to my previous post, the Caps were backed into a corner at Columbus and they overwhelmingly responded. Hope it doesn’t happen tonight. Remember the Flyers have absolutely nothing to lose.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:57 am

Wyopen wrote:Let me add a comment to my previous post, the Caps were backed into a corner at Columbus and they overwhelmingly responded. Hope it doesn’t happen tonight. Remember the Flyers have absolutely nothing to lose.

The caps also played better in games 1 and 2, blew multiple goal leads and leads in the third period and lost in OT. Not even close to the same dynamic as this series.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Wyopen on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:23 am

DelPen wrote:
Wyopen wrote:Let me add a comment to my previous post, the Caps were backed into a corner at Columbus and they overwhelmingly responded. Hope it doesn’t happen tonight. Remember the Flyers have absolutely nothing to lose.

The caps also played better in games 1 and 2, blew multiple goal leads and leads in the third period and lost in OT. Not even close to the same dynamic as this series.

DelPen you’re correct, but they did respond. I’m sure the fans and maybe the Columbus players thought this series was over. But what concerns me is an article in TIOPS can be bulletin board fodder for the “nothing to lose” Flyers. As I said it only takes one break. I hope the Pens end it tonight and don’t take the opposition lightly. Remember they had the chance to end the SCF at home but lost (I know they ultimately won so no comment necessary). I’ve been a fan for long time and that series with the NY Islanders back in the 70s still haunts me. I know it’s A different time and place. I take nothing for granted. LGP.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:45 am

No one gives a **** what TIOPS has to say.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby praxitas on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:04 am

I went to game 2 and had great seats in the 2nd row for my first ever playoff game. We got spanked. I'm not going to game 5. Life isn't fair and we'll be fine. :slug:
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:28 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
America wrote:

All goalies get beat glove side, that and low blocker are where shooters go more often than not. I think the fact remains that while Murray had an up and down regular season, he's still a damn great goalie. I think if his glove hand was really that weak, it would be exposed a lot more and make him more of a league average goalie. The fact that he remains a top goalie in the league with this supposed weakness shows how weak it really is.

I was surprised MD55 did not respond. Or maybe he did.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:51 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
America wrote:

Murray is a good to very good regular season goalie but to the point in his career he has been a great post season goalie. While 2 shutouts in 4 playoff games may not be a pattern, 25 wins in 36 starts over 3 post seasons with 6 shutouts, a 1.88 goals against and a .930 save % does constitute more than just a short-term trend.

Much like Tiger Woods used to do in the majors, he just seems to be able to turn it up to another level once the post season kicks in. At the end of the regular season I too was worried about what we’d get from him after an up and down year but he just seems to know how to focus when the games that count come around. In addition, if possible he is even better after a loss in the playoffs - his ability to foget the past and play in the moment is something special.

Quoting Dick Vitale….Murray is a PTP…Prime Time Player!!!
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins