Shop for Pittsburgh Penguins 2017 Stanley Cup Champs Fan Gear and Collectibles

SCP18 Game 4 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 4 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:53 am

Pens shutout Flyers 5-0

- A masterful win by the Champs, dismantling an injured, inexperienced and broken Flyers club
- Congrats to Sid for taking over Pens ALL TIME playoff scoring lead from Mario.... Wow! That is an extremely meaningful accomplishment. :fist:
- Congrats to Murray for being the quickest playoff goalie ever to 25 wins! When called upon, he shut the door and killed the Flyers hope
- 3 W's down, 13 more to go to drink from Lord Stanley's cup!
- Without Couterier, Flyers had little working for them. Patrick had a ton of chance, but Murray owns that rookie.
- Flyer's faithful were on them early and often... boos rang down & now Flyers know how "good" their fans really are. Flyers & their fans deserve each other :lol:
- CBC feed had a great shot of Giroux after Pens 3-4th goal... him skating back to bench and then a loud Fbomb..... there is probably an animated gif out there somewhere :twisted:
- HCMS was wise to sit his stars late in the game, don't give any of the wannabe Flyer goons a parting shot at Pens superstars
- Dumoulin is grossly underrated. BD has his playoff game tuned up to "11" right now, and he's a beauty
- Had to laugh at DeSmith messing with Flyer fans... one guy wanted to trade his cap for DeSmith's Pens cap (his must not have been a Flyer cap)
- Pens have not done well in closing out playoff series at first try, Friday night may be different as it won't take much to break this Flyer team
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 4 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Pruezy11881 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:37 am

The game last night was a masterful dismantling of the Flyers...systematically, emotionally, and mentally. The Flyers had two extended shifts where momentum was building and Kessel (and Elliot) took a nice, runny one all over that. This is why the Pens are the 2x defending champs; resilience, opportunistic and mental fortitude. The Flyers have no answers for the Penguins right now, and I would be surprised if this series has to go past game 5.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:39 am

The Flyers aren't any good so it is getting harder to see how well we are playing. If we lose to them again it will be because we didn't try.

SiriusXM had the Flyers feed last night. The announcers brutally ripped the Flyers the entire game basically saying that everything the Pens do the Flyers don't. Attack the shooter, win puck battles, etc... And they had only great things to say about Murray. You would've thought it was the close-out game. Game 5 better be.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

Yeah I don't want it going back to Philly either.

Murray was in top form. He stopped some momentum shifting attempts. A couple of those breakaways go in and it's a whole different game.

Big guns scored and then rested for game 5.

The few times I screamed at Letang were overshadowed by a goal. LOL

Nice to see a steady style of play from all 4 lines and not the initial burst followed by the dreaded take the foot off the gas 2nd period.

Sweet Win !!
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:46 am

Kessel's goal is the goal that won the entire series. It was such a back-breaker. The Flyers were buzzing hard, and owned the puck for what seemed like over 3 consecutive minutes, extending multiple shifts... but that goal deflated the entire team and crowd.

WELL DONE!
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:49 am

Pruezy11881 wrote: The Flyers have no answers for the Penguins right now, and I would be surprised if this series has to go past game 5.

Agreed, but the Pens "killer elimination instinct" seems to be elusive for this club. According to DK site, the Pens had a 4-4 record in last year's playoffs in games where they could clinch a series. However, two of those games were against very good opponents in the Caps & Sens in Game 6's. This Flyers club is far from "running on all cylinders" right now.

I will sheepishly admit that I've got the Pens winning this series 4-2 and one of those losses is because of what I call the dreaded "flinch or clinch" factor.

Let's Go Pens!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 am

Another player that I have been watching all series that is truly under-appreciated right now.....Chad Ruhwedel. I know Pee-Air was giving him a lot of love last night, and he deserved it. Ruhwedel has been around a few years, but his performance in these playoffs so far remind me a bit of Dumoulin a few years ago. Dumo had gotten in about a dozen regular season games, and was forced into the lineup for 5 playoff games in 14-15. He played great. Ruhwedel has played a lot more regular season games, but he is standing out every game in a good way. He's not flashy, never has been, but I have seen him step up a few times in the offensive zone with great plays he hasn't made in the regular season, and he's had a few good unsuspecting hits on Flyers at perfect times.

Ruhwedel keeps this up, I would not even bother trying to take a chance on hoping Hunwick works out next season. I'd move him for whatever the Penguins could get for him.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Weegie on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:50 am

I coach U-12 soccer and we had practice last night so I got in at the 12:55 mark of the second period, but once I saw it was 2-0 and started watching I said to my wife "they're just toying with them ", they were all over the Cryers and it is like a boxing match just moments before either the knockout punch comes or the ref stops the fight, it is clearly obvious that the Cryers know they have nothing left and that that 5-1 win in the second game was a fluke. Oh sure, they might come out with some fight and desperation tomorrow night but I have a feeling it will fizzle fast.

And I was reading on their message boards after game 3 how they feel "playoff Murray has shown up". Amen to that!

You are finished Cryers, done......you have NOTHING....just pack it in.....

I can't wait to hear the chant "go home Flyers" clap, clap, clap clap clap tomorrow night!
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Durbano on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:54 am

I think this is the first pivotal post-season point for the Pens’ chances of a three-peat. They obviously can lose game five and still win the series, but their odds of a long run would have to get a boost if they close it out tomorrow.

Assuming they do win the series, they could face a CBJ team that also only played five games. Not likely (easily see Columbus-Washington going six or seven, with either team winning) but possible. Tampa and Boston also have good chances to win their current respective series in five. So, all the more reason to sweep the leg tomorrow.

The Wells Fargo Center? It ain’t The Spectrum.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:58 am

Sheary has been a buzz saw out there. I’m liking all the lines right now and that 4th is causing turnovers like crazy, only a matter of time before ZAR starts scoring.

The only area we still need to work on are making basic clears. It almost killed us last night right before Kessel broke them with his goal. But this has been a problem even going back last year.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:18 am

> As earlier posters have said, Kessell's goal was the back breaker. And it exposed the PF Flyers as goalie deficient. Highly stoppable goal, but was not.

> Has Sid ever had an easier goal (other than an empty netter)?

> Need to finish it Friday night. Really.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:23 am

The third period was remarkable, in that it really looked and felt like the third period of a preseason game.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Risto on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:26 am

DelPen wrote:Sheary has been a buzz saw out there. I’m liking all the lines right now and that 4th is causing turnovers like crazy, only a matter of time before ZAR starts scoring.

Yep, if the Pens make another deep run into the spring, that Sheahan/ZAR unit will be heard from. Like Matt Cullen before, those guys are capable of giving the Pens a big advantage over the 4th liners of other teams.

I'd love to see Simon stick around and take over the other wing on that line. Kuhnhackl works his butt off, but he just has no hands to speak of and gives you nothing offensively. He's not even a Troy Loney level banger.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:34 am

Well done!
This is a championship team and when they want, they put on a hockey clinic.
Matt Murray is the keystone- hockey cliche' 2- it doesn't matter the number of saves, as much
as when the saves occur during the game.
5 is golden~ winning games score 5 goals.
The defense and the PK - very good.
Goals, goals, goals.
Congratulations Sidney- records are meant to be broken!
Finish them Friday!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:18 pm

The Pens are playing like they were annoyed they had to play 82 games to qualify for the post season and they, dare I say, "flipped the switch". Except for the game 2 penalty kill hiccup, this series has been almost perfect.

Murray has raised his game big time.

I'm sure Hakstol was brought in to change the culture, but there was no passion on that team after the Kessel back breaker. Elliott has to make that save. The Flyers have some really good young players, but their veterans are letting them down (Looking at you, Claude). Feels like they are the 2007 Pens. Simmonds has to be hurt. Watched him not engaging on the power play.

Great game to reward ice time to the third and fourth lines.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:22 pm

stonewizard51 wrote:Yeah I don't want it going back to Philly either.

I don't think the Flyers want to have to play another game before their home fans, either. I tend to think if they could retroactively lose game 2 they'd be content to do that, too, and just be done with it. Without Couturier I don't think even they believe they have ANY chance.
Pens just need to come out hard in the first period and destroy their will to compete and move on to round two.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby longtimefan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:24 pm

Risto wrote:
DelPen wrote:Sheary has been a buzz saw out there. I’m liking all the lines right now and that 4th is causing turnovers like crazy, only a matter of time before ZAR starts scoring.

Yep, if the Pens make another deep run into the spring, that Sheahan/ZAR unit will be heard from. Like Matt Cullen before, those guys are capable of giving the Pens a big advantage over the 4th liners of other teams.

I'd love to see Simon stick around and take over the other wing on that line. Kuhnhackl works his butt off, but he just has no hands to speak of and gives you nothing offensively. He's not even a Troy Loney level banger.

I think they value Kuhny's contributions more than you do. He was given the Steeler helmet in the room last night for his PK. The guy actually has a good shot, and skates decently for a big guy. He's never put it together, and is pedestrian at best offensively. However, he's fearless on the PK, and sets a helluva example with the way he sacrifices his body. In one sequence in the regular season, Milbury was calling the game and called him crazy after he was felled by a shot, but limped over on one skate to block another. He's certainly not irreplaceable, and we will always talk about an upgrade. But Kuhnhackl deserves his due. He may not be putting up points, but he's earned his spot in the lineup in my view.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:33 pm

Great win. Philly payed with sagging shoulders once it was 2-0. They all but quit after 3-0. Loved every second of it. I loved it even more when a friend of mine who had gone to the game (Philly fan) texted me near the end of the second period to tell me they were leaving the game! And philly fans call Pens fans fake fans? HA!

Murray has been awesome, our PK has been lights out. And the stars have been stars. Keep it going boys!!!
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Penspal on Thu Apr 19, 2018 12:41 pm

longtimefan wrote:
Risto wrote:

I think they value Kuhny's contributions more than you do. He was given the Steeler helmet in the room last night for his PK. The guy actually has a good shot, and skates decently for a big guy. He's never put it together, and is pedestrian at best offensively. However, he's fearless on the PK, and sets a helluva example with the way he sacrifices his body. In one sequence in the regular season, Milbury was calling the game and called him crazy after he was felled by a shot, but limped over on one skate to block another. He's certainly not irreplaceable, and we will always talk about an upgrade. But Kuhnhackl deserves his due. He may not be putting up points, but he's earned his spot in the lineup in my view.

Well said about Kuhnhackl. Pens are scoring FIVE goals regularly, they don't need more offense at this point in time, they need some more Kuhnhackl!!!
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:01 pm

When Kuhn was drafted there was a thread here talking about he was an interesting pick with a cool name. Anyway there was a quote by him at that time that he would jump face first in front of pucks to make the nhl. Well his dream came true. He played great last night besides that call.
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Was Sid first star in both games in Philly? And Murray second, both nights? I just tried to look it up in the paper and got sucked into the comments section. SMH.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:28 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Another player that I have been watching all series that is truly under-appreciated right now.....Chad Ruhwedel. I know Pee-Air was giving him a lot of love last night, and he deserved it. Ruhwedel has been around a few years, but his performance in these playoffs so far remind me a bit of Dumoulin a few years ago. Dumo had gotten in about a dozen regular season games, and was forced into the lineup for 5 playoff games in 14-15. He played great. Ruhwedel has played a lot more regular season games, but he is standing out every game in a good way. He's not flashy, never has been, but I have seen him step up a few times in the offensive zone with great plays he hasn't made in the regular season, and he's had a few good unsuspecting hits on Flyers at perfect times.

Ruhwedel keeps this up, I would not even bother trying to take a chance on hoping Hunwick works out next season. I'd move him for whatever the Penguins could get for him.

I happy for Chad too.. good call by HCMS to replace Hunwick with him! we were waiting for Hunwick to get scratched for a while and
Chad grabbed the chance by both hands
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby johnnews on Thu Apr 19, 2018 1:52 pm

Kuhnhackl's shot blocking and penalty killing are far greater than what Simon might offer. There was a sequence in the Malkin double-minor where he dove to clear the puck, got a piece, then dove again to finish the job. That kind of effort is contagious. And his fearlessness getting in the lane cannot be matched. No offense to Simon, but when #72 returns, it's back to the press box for #12.
johnnews
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Thu Apr 19, 2018 2:53 pm

Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:06 pm

If you have not seen yet, Hornqvist has been ruled out for Friday's game, reported by several local media outlets. He did skate today prior to the Penguins practice.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins