SCP18 Game 5 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 5 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:47 am

Pens lose 4-2

- Pens sometimes flinch in "Clinch or Flinch" games, but worry not, many LGP'ers foresaw this with 4-2 series win predictions.... worrry pas
- Pens are lucky Malkin was not hurt more seriously... Honestly, I'm taking that away as a good thing from this game
- Anytime a team gets a shorty, its like two goals... Add in the dreaded late 1st period goal, giving the Flyers the early lead.....
- CBC feed illustrated how poorly Neuvirth tracks pucks behind the net... Game 6 plan is to setup shop there.... spray paint over the "Gretzky was here" and fill the net
- Brassard had 8 shots on goal, but I can hardly remember any good ones.... I'm liking Sheahan's game better this playoffs, can't wait 'till he proves me wrong
- Giroux scored from the kids tee for his first goal, after 3 Pens chased 2 Flyers behind the net. He better get used to the golf references, cause he's going to be golfing on Sunday night.
- ZAR has to keep his aggressiveness in check, he's gotten a few unnecessary penalties and those need to be eliminated or they will result in pp goals
- Puck Luck has a way of trying to even out.... the winning goal was a deflection off Dumo's shinpad. Watch for him to be a monster in game 6
- Taken with permissions from the manual on how to eliminate the Flyers. Page 39 "Whilst eliminating Flyers in Philly, boo's will rain down on the home team (as will objects), be sure to beef up security!"
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 5 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:22 am

This series has been a microcosm of the Pens season. When they play focused hockey, they are world beaters. When they lack anything in the concentration or energy department, they get beaten. The later is probably true for most teams, but the falloff for the Pens from their full potential is most noticable.

TIme to regroup and take game 6 in Philly. A health(ish) Hornqvist on the PP will go a long way, too.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:31 am

Great58 wrote:This series has been a microcosm of the Pens season. When they play focused hockey, they are world beaters. When they lack anything in the concentration or energy department, they get beaten. The later is probably true for most teams, but the falloff for the Pens from their full potential is most noticable.

TIme to regroup and take game 6 in Philly. A health(ish) Hornqvist on the PP will go a long way, too.

Yeah, Horny's presence in front of the net really opens up ice and the chances in front where there. Neuvirth saw the puck clearly too often, Rust and Sheahan were noticeable, but nobody does it like Horny.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:36 am

- the unwritten rules came into play a few times last night... Horrible call on the Dumo stuble.
- HCMS was very animated at the refs... I think when the Pens are pissing him off, he is able to channel some of that at the refs...
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:37 am

Disappointing game overall. Pens had flashes of greatness during the game but not the desire to close it out I guess. Neuvirth stole a few from the pens... lets hope to get some good bounces next time.

Letang needs to take his head out of his ass. He continually makes horrible puck decisions and glides around on defense like he is lost. He is not our #1 defenseman. Dumoulin is playing so much better than Letang, as is Maatta.

Phil played a horrible game. Maybe he was trying too hard to make plays. As HCMS says "JUST PLAY".

Brassard has been a bit of a disappointment. Ton of shots on net but not really many quality shots. Makes me miss Bonino so much, and Sutter... Sutter had a tendency to come up big when needed as well. Brass has been solid on defense, also his line had great possession last night... but lets leave the possession game to the 4th line and get our 3rd line putting some in the back of the net.

Pens need to close this series so I don't have to move to not hear it from all of the Flyers fans in Jersey. God help us if Wes McCauley is the ref on Sunday.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby alancac98 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:40 am

What the hell has happened to home ice advantage? We have lost 2 of 3 on home ice in this series. That sucks! Particularly when you think what the home vs away record during the season was. Idf we get past Philly (and I'm pretty sure they will), we will need to capitalize on our own ice!
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:50 am

Team needs Hornqvist.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:08 am

- Pens just weren't that interested last night.
- And let's try to remember for Sunday...Murray's record following a loss.
- If we still have Sutter (whom I liked) we don't have Hornqvist.
- Pens will be more focused tomorrow. Count on it. And count on one other thing, when the Flyers get behing the crowd will start to quiet, and eventually boo.
- Hope Geno is okay. We need him in the beast mode tomorrow.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:09 am

Inkio wrote:Brassard has been a bit of a disappointment. Ton of shots on net but not really many quality shots. Makes me miss Bonino so much, and Sutter... Sutter had a tendency to come up big when needed as well. Brass has been solid on defense, also his line had great possession last night... but lets leave the possession game to the 4th line and get our 3rd line putting some in the back of the net.

Pens need to close this series so I don't have to move to not hear it from all of the Flyers fans in Jersey. God help us if Wes McCauley is the ref on Sunday.

Bonino scored some big goals for us, no dobt, but last night was the first night that Brassard had a similar chance to score a memorable goal. Give him time. (Bonino didn't score at all in his first series with the Pens.)

Brassard in 5 playoff games with Pens 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points. 0.2 g/g, 0.6 ppg.
Consistent with his career numbers of 0.28 g/g, 0.7 ppg.

Bonino in 45 playoff games with Pens, 8 goals, 17 assists, 25 points. 0.18 g/g, 0.55 ppg.
The HBK version of Bonino carried his stats (with us) a bit, last playoffs he dropped to 0.29 ppg, although his career numbers are 0.21 g/g, 0.55 ppg.

Sutter had 8 goals in 33 games but made no one else better, just 12 assists for 0.36 ppg.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:33 am

Great58 wrote:Bonino scored some big goals for us, no dobt, but last night was the first night that Brassard had a similar chance to score a memorable goal. Give him time. (Bonino didn't score at all in his first series with the Pens.)

Brassard in 5 playoff games with Pens 1 goal, 2 assists, 3 points. 0.2 g/g, 0.6 ppg.
Consistent with his career numbers of 0.28 g/g, 0.7 ppg.

Bonino in 45 playoff games with Pens, 8 goals, 17 assists, 25 points. 0.18 g/g, 0.55 ppg.
The HBK version of Bonino carried his stats (with us) a bit, last playoffs he dropped to 0.29 ppg, although his career numbers are 0.21 g/g, 0.55 ppg.

Sutter had 8 goals in 33 games but made no one else better, just 12 assists for 0.36 ppg.

And Bonino after 5 playoff games with the Preds has 1g, 1a(he scored last night). 5 games isn't much of a sample size in either case.

How Brassard is playing on the 3rd line is not an issue, especially last night when it was the best Pens' line going, even if Rust kind of botched clearing the zone on the game winner. He's not a problem out there.

Brassard was red-hot leading up to the Pens acquiring him, but he got injured and has also cooled-down to closer to the norm production. He's not been a "factor" in helping the Pens win or lose at this point, only 5 games into the playoffs. Some people's expectations of Brassard are off the charts. It's not like Pens traded for Hossa here.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:53 am

Jason Mackey
‏Verified account @JMackeyPG
1m1 minute ago
Patric Hornqvist on the ice for Penguins practice at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. Looks like he's wearing a normal sweater, too.

These are the 2 time stanley cup champions~ keep the faith!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Great58 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:10 pm

penny lane wrote:
Jason Mackey
‏Verified account @JMackeyPG
1m1 minute ago
Patric Hornqvist on the ice for Penguins practice at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex. Looks like he's wearing a normal sweater, too.

It's Mackey, I'll wait for independent confirmation. It could be an imposter. Afterall, he reported Murray died in practice on Thursday. :lol:
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Zarovich on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Lot of puck fumbling. Kissel give away at the blue line leading to the shortie and Letang not tying up in front on the goal is all mental. Tons of chances to score but nobody finished.
Zarovich
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:30 pm

Needed the rest...... that is all.
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Antonio on Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:32 pm

I knew letard couldn't go 5 games without his brain exploding.
Not taking a single shot on an 80 second 4-3 is pretty much a recipe for losing. I would have sat some people for a shift after that.
Short handed goal cost them the game...that is why you stop being so ****ing cute all the time on the damn pp and shoot and get dirty. Not every single goal is going to be the culmination of a series of beautiful passes.
If you are interested in taking a period or two off every other game or so in the playoffs... don't worry...at that rate you'll have all the time in world off. You would think after taking off the first 40 games of the season, they'd have gotten it out of their system.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Stillerz Bar on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Antonio wrote:I knew letard couldn't go 5 games without his brain exploding.
Not taking a single shot on an 80 second 4-3 is pretty much a recipe for losing. I would have sat some people for a shift after that.
Short handed goal cost them the game...that is why you stop being so ****ing cute all the time on the damn pp and shoot and get dirty. Not every single goal is going to be the culmination of a series of beautiful passes.

That 4 on 3 was abysmal - I have no idea what any of the Pens were thinking but I swore I heard Sweet Georgia Brown. :face:
At least half of the playoff goals every year are weird bounces, unintended deflections, etc. so yes, stop trying to be so cute and get the damn puck to the net....it will find its way in more often than you'd think. :face:
The shortie was a killer. Like most of you I saw it develop as soon as Phil tossed the pass across the ice and I was praying for a big Murray stop of the Flyers there. Unfortunately I wasn't clear enough with my prayer because once he stopped the Flyers he still had Letang to deal with and that's the one he didn't stop :face:
The Pens have been up & down each of the last three years so it will be interesting to see if the can have enough ups to continue winning series. Gotta say that I am sure glad Sully is behind the bench as he seems to understand they way this team's heads work and can usually figure out a way to get them out of their funk. :fist:
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ziggo on Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Is it possible to loose three in a row to Philadelphia ? About halfway through the 3rd period last night, I started to get this bad feeling. I know, I know, the closing out series thing the past couple years. If it was any other team but the Flyers I wouldn't have given it much thought. After all. I lived through The Steak. The one that lasted a decade and a half.
ziggo
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby OKpensfan247 on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:29 pm

This one feels similar to me as game 2.

We had more shots and chances. They got some breaks/bounces/saves... We didn't get as many.

If we play the same and possibly get Horny back... I just don't see us losing 3 in a row to Philly.

We have been the better team by far. We can do this.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:34 pm

ziggo wrote:Is it possible to loose three in a row to Philadelphia ? About halfway through the 3rd period last night, I started to get this bad feeling. I know, I know, the closing out series thing the past couple years. If it was any other team but the Flyers I wouldn't have given it much thought. After all. I lived through The Streak. The one that lasted a decade and a half.

It's absolutely possible. I *think* the Pens have experienced every playoff scenario except falling behind 0-3 and winning the series. They've swept and been swept, won the first two on the road and lost the series, lost the first two at home and won the series, etc. Losing three straight to a 98-point Flyers team wouldn't shock me.

Philly is not as bad as they looked in the losses. They're now off the "quitters" hook and are no longer mentally saddled with Elliott. They're dangerous.

Losing three in a row doesn't seem any less likely than winning all three road games in this series, especially now that Malkin is hurt (he missed practice today), and Hornqvist is presumably going to play with an injury.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:19 pm

For years this team has been its worst when comfortable. Everything about this series has been comfortable, even the first loss. They utterly wrecked Philly in that game and it just wouldn't go. Letang, more than anyone, just can't mentally engage in these situations and when things go south you can see the other half of his brain trying to wake himself up.

The big take away from tonight should be that the ice crew needs to get their act together. The ice was terrible from start to finish. Sticking pucks, bouncing pucks, just abysmal.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkintent on Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:15 pm

What happened to Malkin?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Weegie on Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:16 pm

I keep thinking about that stupid pass Phil made right across the blueline that set up that shorthanded goal, and the way he and Letang looked like they could care less backchecking, had that not happened the series may well be over right now. Why on Earth he didn't just dump it in down the boards with a power play and a 2-1 lead I'll never know, such a high risk play that backfired big time.

They at times make me wonder if they have hit a wall, think about it, they just won the Cup two years in a row, are they emotionally able to keep the mental level up that is needed for the long grind? Is trying to threepeat enough challenge for them to do so? Now maybe that is not even the case, the close out game is always the toughest to win, but at times they looked disinterested and very sloppy early, then it was like a switch was flipped and they woke up in the second period until Phil had brain fog and that shortie happened, then brain fog again with that horrible clear that lead to the winning goal, I wonder at times if they are fatigued but last year whenever I thought that the next game they came back and won, but what worries me is they have been getting away with things so far, breakaways that Murray stopped, dumb passes etc. but what do you think will happen if they play like that against Boston or Tampa? I hope I am wrong, but time will tell, and no matter what happens to win the Cup two years in a row doesn't suck lol!!

"LET'S GO PENS!!!!!!"
Weegie
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:34 pm

Baby Pens blew a 2-0 lead and lost in OT to Charlotte last night. Blew a 1-0 lead and fall behind with about 5 minutes to go to lose game 2 to now need a sweep at home to advance.

Not a good kick off to the weekend so far for the Pens organization.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Antonio on Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:10 pm

This team will get stomped by Boston and most likely Tampa. My thing is this...for the love of all that is holy, don't lose to Philly or Washington. That's all I really care about. If you aren't going to win a 3rd, I can accept it....it has been a great 2 years and as a fan I can't be unrealistically greedy...but just don't lose to either of those two. Don't go out like ******** playing substandard lazy hockey.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:55 am

LGP be like...

Win game 1 - Do you think the parade route will be the same this year?
Lose game 2 - Sully has lost the team. Dey soff.
Win game 3 - When do tix for the banner raising ceremony usually go on sale?
Lose game 4 - This is literally the worst team in the history of bad teams.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins