Official GDT: ROUND 1, GAME 6 - 4/22/18 Pens @ Flyers

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Official GDT: ROUND 1, GAME 6 - 4/22/18 Pens @ Flyers

Postby farnham16 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 pm

Pretty impressive win today when you consider the following: No Malkin. Hagelin gone mid game. Murray playing bad. And being down 2-4 in the 2nd.

Very gutsy effort. But for the Pens to have a shot at advancing to the ECF, Murray has to be better and Malkin has to play.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Southern Fan on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:00 pm

Let’s let Flyer fans buy CANS of beer at a playoff elimination game against Pittsburgh. What could possibly go wrong ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Wyopen on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:13 pm

The Flyer fans are nothing but an embarrassment to the team, city, league, and themselves. LGP.
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:22 pm

farnham16 wrote:Pretty impressive win today when you consider the following: No Malkin. Hagelin gone mid game. Murray playing bad. And being down 2-4 in the 2nd.

Very gutsy effort. But for the Pens to have a shot at advancing to the ECF, Murray has to be better and Malkin has to play.

Letang did more for Philly than the Pens, with the exception of the missed trip call on Guentzel's 3rd goal. If I'm a Flyers fan I am livid at that no call.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve Dave on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:56 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
farnham16 wrote:Pretty impressive win today when you consider the following: No Malkin. Hagelin gone mid game. Murray playing bad. And being down 2-4 in the 2nd.

Letang did more for Philly than the Pens, with the exception of the missed trip call on Guentzel's 3rd goal. If I'm a Flyers fan I am livid at that no call.

Perhaps, but the refs can’t call every penalty. The Flyers run around being dirty, the refs can’t call everything so they let it go the other way as well. Just like Nashville crashing the goalie last year, of course the refs will blow the whistle quick, look what happened. Play the game the right way and that kind of stuff most likely won’t happen to you.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:00 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

Letang probably did deserve a tripping call there, but old Sean should have received a 6.0 from the Russian judge for the ensuing dive. Philly fans should be livid, but that should be focused at their lack of goaltending.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:09 pm

Just watched game on tape delay. Nice game overall. Had some rough spots but the key here was foot on gas pedal when they got down 4-2. Overwhelmed the Flyers with shear determination. Didn't read the thread but nice to see the Pens get a big win.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:16 pm

As I said, I have zero problem with the non call on Letang because the officiating in this series was horrible throughout and honestly, on balance I really believe it was slanted against the pens more than enough to offset that call.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Durbano on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:26 pm

Concerning the Letang trip or non-trip, I think the rule for many years was that if you hit the puck first, the follow-through wasn't considered a penalty. Think of a D-man diving to attempt to break up a partial breakaway.

But I also thought the rule changed within the last year or two.

I hope the refs missed the call and it should have been a trip. That'll make the loss hurt more.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PaLionking on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:32 pm

Durbano wrote:Concerning the Letang trip or non-trip, I think the rule for many years was that if you hit the puck first, the follow-through wasn't considered a penalty. Think of a D-man diving to attempt to break up a partial breakaway.

I hope the refs missed the call and it should have been a trip. That'll make the loss hurt more.

One thing that always is crazy is the rulebook gets switched after the regular season. Only sport that has 2 rulebooks. One for the regular season where they call everything & one for the playoffs where they let anything go. They may as well keep the refs in the pressbox during playoffs & keep the linesmen there just to drop the puck

It looks like they changed it again this year. Last year didn't matter if you got the puck or not was a trip. He got the puck before tripping the Flyer player so wasn't a trip this year.

Rule 57
– Tripping
Tripping
– A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneou
sly with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
Last edited by PaLionking on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Maestro on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:33 pm

Letang said he played puck while Flyer went for hit and missed. At minimum it was a ludicrous dive.
Good no call.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby farnham16 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:34 pm

That call is never going to be made in the 3rd period of a playoff game after a team just had a power play. Never. Love it or hate it, that is how the NHL operates and has for years.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Crashguy66 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:12 pm

Maestro wrote:Letang said he played puck while Flyer went for hit and missed. At minimum it was a ludicrous dive.
Good no call.

Even Roenick stated it was NOT a penalty as Letang touched the puck first. Agree that it looked bad in realtime.
Crashguy66
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:16 pm

Durbano wrote:Concerning the Letang trip or non-trip, I think the rule for many years was that if you hit the puck first, the follow-through wasn't considered a penalty. Think of a D-man diving to attempt to break up a partial breakaway.

I can't ever remember a time where you can trip someone when getting the puck first and not be called for a penalty. The fact that the Flyers just came off a penalty is completely irrelevant, especially when the Pens had 5 pps to 1 flyers pp the last game. If it's a penalty, call it and it was a penalty.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby PaLionking on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:27 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

I can't ever remember a time where you can trip someone when getting the puck first and not be called for a penalty. The fact that the Flyers just came off a penalty is completely irrelevant, especially when the Pens had 5 pps to 1 flyers pp the last game. If it's a penalty, call it and it was a penalty.

Letang got the puck before tripping him. If he wouldn't have hit the puck first then it would have been a trip. Last year it didn't matter & was a trip but years before that & apparently this year the rule got changed back so that if you got the puck first was no penalty
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:18 pm

PaLionking wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Letang got the puck before tripping him. If he wouldn't have hit the puck first then it would have been a trip. Last year it didn't matter & was a trip but years before that & apparently this year the rule got changed back so that if you got the puck first was no penalty

I don’t recall that rule being changed back and a quick google search came up empty. Did it really get changed back?

Also, the rule about whether or not the puck was touched first always mentions a “diving defending player”.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:21 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
PaLionking wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

I don’t recall that rule being changed back and a quick google search came up empty. Did it really get changed back?

Also, the rule about whether or not the puck was touched first always mentions a “diving defending player”.

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:03 am

Lesky wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
PaLionking wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.

You highlight that area but fail to acknowledge the part about “when a defending player dives and trips an attacking player....”?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:09 am

Steve wrote:
DelPen wrote:Penguins win 8-5 and pee air asks how Kessel going after Giroux impacted he bench. **** you NBC.

I didn't see that question but I have to wonder if Giroux poked the bear with that hit, I know the Flyers scored afterward (on a very sweet pass) but the Pens were a different team after that hit.

Here are a quote by Hörnqvist to a Swedish reporter about the hit:

"– Ja, där vände matchen. Vi reste oss upp i båset, såg varandra in ögonen och sa att nu gör vi det här för Hagge, berättar Bengan Hörnqvist för yours truly i omklädningsrummet."

Translation:
"- Yea, that turned the game, we stood up and looked at each other in the eyes and said, let´s do this for Hags, Hörnqvist says to yours truly in the looker room"
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:03 am

Lesky wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
PaLionking wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Rule 57 – Tripping

Where’s the rule about headshots?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:15 am

Lesky wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
PaLionking wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Rule 57 – Tripping

Where did this come from? Not what the official rulebook says: http://www.nhl.com/rulebook

57.1 Tripping – A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby brwi on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:30 am

Durbano wrote:I hope the refs missed the call and it should have been a trip. That'll make the loss hurt more.

Imagine the fun if the refs called Couturier 2min for embellishment and nothing on Letang :twisted:
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:34 am

The tripping rule was modified a few years ago on those sweep checks on break aways but even if you have any belief that Cooter didn’t take a swan dive in an embarrassing fashion that should disgrace his family for decades, Letang has every right to play the puck through him there.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby PaLionking on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:00 am

Rule 57 – Tripping

[/quote]

Where did this come from? Not what the official rulebook says: http://www.nhl.com/rulebook

57.1 Tripping – A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.[/quote]

I got it from here http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/ ... lebook.pdf . Should be on page 94
PaLionking
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:32 am

I swear people on this board read the rule book more than the officials do.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins