Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Put Away Flyers 8-5 (R1, G6)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Put Away Flyers 8-5 (R1, G6)

Postby netwolf on Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens at Flyers, a 8-5 win

Something good: Jake Guentzel was on fire. He helped set up Patric Hornqvist's goal to cut the Flyers' lead in half, then scored FOUR. STRAIGHT. GOALS. Five points in a playoff game? Not even Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin have done that.

Where they need improvement: I'm going to skip this one today. Cutting them a break for finishing the series or too many things to get into? You be the judge.

Something good: Despite Kris Letang's flare ups, this game illustrated the effect Mike Sullivan's had on this team. Despite the pregame NBC video hearkening back to 2012, these Penguins are not those Penguins. If they were, they would've imploded and the score would be be reversed, or worse. This team just found a way to get it done. Better to win ugly than lose in any fashion.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Put Away Flyers 8-5 (R1, G

Postby Daniel on Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:19 pm

This might go down as Good (from a Penguins perspective), Bad (from a sports perspective), and Ugly (from a city that has it's share of embarrassing sports moments).

CBS Sports summed up the Flyers with one statement:

The Eagles' season ended with a parade. Villanova's season ended with a parade. And now the Flyers' season has also ended with a parade ... a parade of debris.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:19 pm

This needs to be the last game that Rowney plays as a Penguin as long. Full stop, no ifs, ands or buts, he simply cannot play at the NHL level right now. He was an extreme fringe player, at best, last year, but with all the injuries, there's just no way he should be playing over anybody in the organization.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sirik71 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:59 pm

Very well done, what a series to start our run! And even though there were some who played truly brilliant, it was all in all another vintage Penguins we all chip in series win, thank you! Special thanks to Mr. Martin, the penalty kill was superb. Liked the fact that we pushed back. Phil in retaliation mode stepping up for Hagelin and Letang not taking any abuse. However really confused by this forum, whatever tread I open, there is a lot of negativity and complaining. Reminder we won! Hopefully Geno and Hags have enough time to heal up and everybody will be ready for round two, should be another nerve wrecking affair i.o.w. a good one :) Lets Go Pens!
Last edited by sirik71 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
sirik71

Postby Humperdink on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:07 am

Good: It is always good, make that great, to be the team that sends the Flyers packing in the April.

Bad: Hated to see Hags get hurt. I just loves the way he flies around on every shift. He's never in low gear.

Good: Very nice comeback win from 2 goals down, with Jake getting 4. How about it!!
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 am

Flyers/ Islanders, always a stomach twist until I see triple zeros on the board.
Coach Sullivan, all of the coaches, thumbs up!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins