When will Kris Letang stop playing like he has no brain?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

When will Kris Letang stop playing like he has no brain?

Postby Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Seriously, will Mike Sullivan sit down with Letang and ask him to STOP with this lunacy? (or do the Pens brass consider his condition incurable?)

The Penguins already missing Malkin, and their number 1 PK man Carl Hagelin has left the game injured. With a one goal lead in the 3rd Letang should stay composed.

Letang gets a clean hit from Couturier,and responds by pushing him, then slashing him on the leg from behind and then the crosscheck in the back.

The correct call on the play should have 2 minutes for slashing + 2 minutes for crosschecking or 2 minutes for slashing and a 5 minute game misconduct for crosschecking dangerous play.

Now, you would think Letang had learned something calming down in the penalty box but immediately he makes an awful risky/stupid play again which SHOULD have led to another Flyers PP.

This time, Letang got lucky, but he could have cost the Penguins the game.

Is he ever going to stop playing the game like a 10 year sulky boy?
---
Its russian roulette having Letang on the ice, he just runs around the ice and anything can happen. Most of the time he looks as if he has no idea how to play defense, I just dont understand it. You can find Letang with 3 minutes left protecting a one goal lead, behind the opposing teams net pinching in for example. Or Letang chasing pucks at the blue linein his own zone forgetting he is not a forward.

"Kristopher Letang came out the penalty box a man on a mission", said Pierre on NBC feed.

What was the mission? To revenge himself the quickest way possible by gambling with a clear cut tripping?

Absolute madness from the dude and it goes on game after game. Its going to come back to haunt the Penguins eventually.
Last edited by Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: When will Kris Letang stop playing like he has no brain?

Postby America on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:09 pm

It wasn’t a trip. Go to bed Shawn.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:12 pm

Stop using the word “retarded”.

But yes i agree.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Antonio on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:13 pm

When he retires
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:14 pm

America wrote:It wasn’t a trip.

It was a clear cut trip. Its tripping regardless if he plays the puck. Also the decision to take that action was just as stupid regardless of the outcome. Cant risk that trip at that point of the game, especially when he just took a stupid penalty the shift before.

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.
Last edited by Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:17 pm

America wrote:Go to bed Shawn.

I am not Shawn btw. Shawnlesky is located in DuBois, Pennsylvania, USA if I am not mistaken?

I am located in Sweden, and its 05.17 AM here so, you are right I should go to bed though.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 am

Lesky wrote:
America wrote:It wasn’t a trip.

It was a clear cut trip. Its tripping regardless if he plays the puck. Also the decision to take that action was just as stupid regardless of the outcome. Cant risk that trip at that point of the game, especially when he just took a stupid penalty the shift before.

Rule 57 – Tripping

The rule relating to "Tripping" will be revised to specifically provide that a two minute minor penalty will be assessed when a defending player "dives" and trips an attacking player with his body/arm/shoulder, regardless of whether the defending player is able to make initial contact with the puck.

What about the part where it says the defending player dives. Letang didn’t dive.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby jreed on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:35 pm

Tough call on that one. Letang obviously made contact with the puck and didnt dive. Nor do I think Couturier dove to sell it. It looks like Letangs right skate sweeps in and takes Couturier off his skates. That call could have gone either way.

Here's a good look at it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5mjSvcqSQg
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:56 pm

Isn't he +5 with 7 points in 6 games?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm

The more I view that the less it looks like a trip.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:45 pm

First thought: "What the heck, how is that not a trip?"

I'm less sure now. Letang does go in braindead, makes a risky, risky play. But Couturier does try to sell it, seems to be banking on a penalty call.. And the nature of the contact itself is fuzzy to me.

NHL refereeing being what it is, you can very easily call that a trip. And nobody would complain all that much. In hindsight, I don't think either player wants to be in that position.

I'll take it though.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens Fans Sweden on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:40 pm

This is nothing new, it has always been Letang's biggest flaw, his lack of smartness.

If Letang has two passing plays avaliable, he always pick the hardest one, always. Why? Keep it simple stupid!

He's constantly out of position chasing the puck or a hit, so tired of that.
Pens Fans Sweden
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby scpensfan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:56 pm

Was it a trip: I have no idea.
Is it called a trip 99 times out of 100? Yes.

Love Letang, but it was crazy reckless.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:58 pm

Tripping
– A player shall not place the stick, knee, foot, arm, hand or
elbow in such a manner that causes his opponent to trip or fall.
Accidental trips which occur simultaneously with a completed play
will not be penalized. Accidental trips occurring simultaneously with or
after a stoppage of play will not be penalized.

This is what's in the rule book. I assume they considered that accidental? That's all they got other than he swallowed his whistle.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:39 pm

Couturier skating around on one good leg may have been a factor, but I'm guessing the refs were tired of calling penalties on the pens and "didn't want to affect the outcome of the game". They instinctively ignored the play, not deliberately.

But if I were a Flyers fan, ....
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:08 pm

Southern Fan wrote:Couturier skating around on one good leg may have been a factor, but I'm guessing the refs were tired of calling penalties on the pens and "didn't want to affect the outcome of the game". They instinctively ignored the play, not deliberately.

But if I were a Flyers fan, ....

IMHO that would be something new for them. They don't normally have an issue with calling penalties which could affect the outcome.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jitter1127 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 pm

I was never a letang fan. Not sure the obsession with him from the organization. He has bad aim, not very physical, and just lacks general hockey sense. He has decent speed and some good offensive moves, but he is not a forward. I know i don't say wow what a hit or great defense too many times about letang and he is supposed to be a star. Pens need some true defensemen. We have too many hybrid players
jitter1127
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 pm

Trip by Letang/embellishment by Couturier. Ref let both go. The fair thing to do would be to blow it dead and assess matching minors, especially since the trip resulted in a turnover.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:51 pm

jitter1127 wrote:I was never a letang fan. Not sure the obsession with him from the organization. He has bad aim, not very physical, and just lacks general hockey sense. He has decent speed and some good offensive moves, but he is not a forward. I know i don't say wow what a hit or great defense too many times about letang and he is supposed to be a star. Pens need some true defensemen. We have too many hybrid players

Bad Aim - Yes, his shot from the blueline seems to be no better than it was in his first couple years.
Physical - I disagree here. He's 6ft tall and 200 lbs and he plays a pretty physical game for a guy that size. He's a freak in terms of physical fitness, but is a bandaid otherwise.
Hockey Sense - Agree, he lacks a high IQ but makes up for it with his skill and skating.
Speed and Offensive moves - He has good speed for a defenseman and is smooth skating, but he lacks "moves". He carries the puck into the zone and nothing ever happens with it. Usually just a weak wrister on net from a bad angle. Game after game.

The one thing Letang does well is tip the ice in our favor more often than not. We have the puck more when he's on the ice and the numbers prove it. His problems this season are his massive brain farts that end up in the back of our net. It happened a ton this year and it stays fresh in everyone's mind. Aside from the blatant, dumb errors this year, and the early struggles that he and Dumo had, they figured it out and ended up having a pretty good year as a duo. I read a tweet that showed them in the top 10 pairings this year in terms of possession, and that's going up against the opponent's best players night after night.

I wouldn't say we have too many hybrid defensemen at all. Dumo is not offensive, nor are Ruhwedel, Maatta or Oleksiak. They're all good puck movers, but not offensive by any means. I would much rather have them over guys like Orpik, Hainsey, Gudas, etc. None of them can move the puck. The league is following the Penguins in terms of how to build a blueline, and it doesn't include stay at home defensemen, it includes hybrid type that can move the puck and skate.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:57 pm

jreed wrote:Tough call on that one. Letang obviously made contact with the puck and didnt dive. Nor do I think Couturier dove to sell it. It looks like Letangs right skate sweeps in and takes Couturier off his skates. That call could have gone either way.

He didn't dive to sell it?! My god, dude went airborne like he'd just stepped on a landmine. That, combined with the fact that Letang played the puck makes this a good non-call.
Yes, it looked wacky at full speed. But this falls under the umbrella of an accidental trip in the act of completing a play. Not a penalty. He got the puck first.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:17 am

Risto wrote:
jreed wrote:Tough call on that one. Letang obviously made contact with the puck and didnt dive. Nor do I think Couturier dove to sell it. It looks like Letangs right skate sweeps in and takes Couturier off his skates. That call could have gone either way.

He didn't dive to sell it?! My god, dude went airborne like he'd just stepped on a landmine. That, combined with the fact that Letang played the puck makes this a good non-call.
Yes, it looked wacky at full speed. But this falls under the umbrella of an accidental trip in the act of completing a play. Not a penalty. He got the puck first.

I agree. When I first watched it I thought it was a missed call, plus a dive. On replay I think it's not a penalty, except for the dive.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:44 am

I'm going change my mind on this call. Live, from the CBC's feeds that I saw, it looked like a trip. However, this NBC feed through a handheld off a Sony tv shows differently. ;)

It was a one handed swipe at the puck... not two hands with any force. Coots tried to sell it, BIGTIME.

If this is being held up as "boneheaded", I'd ask you to go back and find me something REALLY boneheaded. Kris has made some bad plays, and as your #1 dman, when he does, it usually results in a grade A scoring chance. He has made some (and if you wanted to, you'd find them), but I don't think this is one..... and the annals of Penguins playoffs, they are going to agree with me.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Mango Salsa on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:57 am

Let's be real...if the roles were reversed we'd be screaming bloody murder over that play.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:24 am

Mango Salsa wrote:Let's be real...if the roles were reversed we'd be screaming bloody murder over that play.

No, actually, I'd watch the replay and say, "oh, look at that, he clearly got the puck first - I didn't see that at full speed."
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby penny lane on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:13 am

Kristopher's birthday was yesterday- turned 31. The no brain thing stops. :D
Let's Go Pens!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins