Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 pm

Please, anything but a concussion for Carl, and please get Geno back for game one in Washington this Friday. Gotta have them both because Wilson will be coming to injure at least one or two of our other guys this next series. Any word on status so far?
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Postby Ad@m on Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Game 1 will not be Friday. The Wizards play game 6 in Washington on Friday.
Ad@m
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:44 am

Ad@m wrote:Game 1 will not be Friday. The Wizards play game 6 in Washington on Friday.

Anything scheduled at the Paint Can for Friday? :wink:
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:59 am

Torts says hold on with the caps winning.
;)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:48 am

Then for once I'd agree with Torts. Here's hoping the Jackets win tonight.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:17 am

All players will be game time descisions.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Durbano on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:22 am

Only thing I saw was one line in a DK piece that said the vibe seemed to indicate less worry about Malkin's injury and more about Hagelin's.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Damian27548 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:38 am

Great58 wrote:
Ad@m wrote:Game 1 will not be Friday. The Wizards play game 6 in Washington on Friday.

Anything scheduled at the Paint Can for Friday? :wink:

Yes, Stars On Ice is Friday, April 27 at PPG Paints Arena, so no Game 1 on Friday in Pittsburgh if CBJ would win the series vs. Washington.
Damian27548
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:39 am

Durbano wrote:Only thing I saw was one line in a DK piece that said the vibe seemed to indicate less worry about Malkin's injury and more about Hagelin's.

Facial fractures for Hags?
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:41 am

Durbano wrote:Only thing I saw was one line in a DK piece that said the vibe seemed to indicate less worry about Malkin's injury and more about Hagelin's.

Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:21 am

Other than Letang's cross check, no bonehead penalties yesterday... Oh that's right, Malkin didn't play.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Durbano on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:46 am

Steve Dave wrote:

Could be just about anything, I guess. Best case would be whatever allows him to be ready for game one. But that single mention in one of the DK articles is all I've seen.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:53 am

From what the new Inside Pittsburgh Sports is saying, "Pittsburgh closed out the series without Malkin who has a knee injury that was suffered in game 5. Malkin is being evaluated for a possible MCL injury, a socre tells IPS. Any long-term concern is not yet known."

My thought is he went into locker room during Game 5 after injury and came back to play. My thought is they looked at the knee and determined no tear but my guess is it swelled on him between Game 5 and 6. Pens probably thought they had control of series and voted for leaving Malkin out one game to have him for Game 7 that didn't need to happen. My only fear is I can't remember which knee he tore ACL and MCL back in 2011.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:From what the new Inside Pittsburgh Sports is saying, "Pittsburgh closed out the series without Malkin who has a knee injury that was suffered in game 5. Malkin is being evaluated for a possible MCL injury, a socre tells IPS. Any long-term concern is not yet known."

My thought is he went into locker room during Game 5 after injury and came back to play. My thought is they looked at the knee and determined no tear but my guess is it swelled on him between Game 5 and 6. Pens probably thought they had control of series and voted for leaving Malkin out one game to have him for Game 7 that didn't need to happen. My only fear is I can't remember which knee he tore ACL and MCL back in 2011.

Right knee then, same knee now.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby largegarlic on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:02 pm

I wonder if Malkin might have a sprained MCL. I sprained both my MCLs at different points in soccer games and didn't realize anything was wrong until the next day when I woke up with my knee swollen and stiff. A good sports medicine person can diagnose a tear pretty easily in the locker room with a manual test, but a sprain wouldn't show up until you get an MRI done.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:05 pm

largegarlic wrote:I wonder if Malkin might have a sprained MCL. I sprained both my MCLs at different points in soccer games and didn't realize anything was wrong until the next day when I woke up with my knee swollen and stiff. A good sports medicine person can diagnose a tear pretty easily in the locker room with a manual test, but a sprain wouldn't show up until you get an MRI done.

That would make sense. What is a timetable on something like that?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby largegarlic on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:13 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
largegarlic wrote:I wonder if Malkin might have a sprained MCL. I sprained both my MCLs at different points in soccer games and didn't realize anything was wrong until the next day when I woke up with my knee swollen and stiff. A good sports medicine person can diagnose a tear pretty easily in the locker room with a manual test, but a sprain wouldn't show up until you get an MRI done.

That would make sense. What is a timetable on something like that?

I think it's usually 4-6 weeks, so in the NHL playoffs, maybe that's 1 week?
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:18 pm

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:From what the new Inside Pittsburgh Sports is saying, "Pittsburgh closed out the series without Malkin who has a knee injury that was suffered in game 5. Malkin is being evaluated for a possible MCL injury, a socre tells IPS. Any long-term concern is not yet known."

Who is their source?

I cant believe it should even be out there what kind of injury Malkin has. I mean, if he plays through it at some point the Caps will aim for the knee!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Risto on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:31 am

Hagelin's injury had the look of a concussion, considering the violence of the impact. That's a big concern given that he missed a bunch of time with a concussion just last year.

It's amazing to me that even the NFL has legislated against unnecessarily violent hits against players in defenseless postures, but the NHL still just looks at it as old time hockey. I'm thinking also of Giroux launching himself into a completely unsuspecting Kris Letang the other night. And then the garage league will pretend to be soooo concerned about CTE...

With Malkin, I'd be surprised if he doesn't return soon, since he actually finished the game in which he was hurt. The bigger concern there is that we've seen Geno be pretty ineffective in the past when playing at less than 100%.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Liverlips on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:33 am

Lesky wrote:

Who is their source?

I cant believe it should even be out there what kind of injury Malkin has. I mean, if he plays through it at some point the Caps will aim for the knee!

They need only watch the replay to see which knee/leg was injured. But yeah, feel for Geno and his long-term knee health.
Liverlips
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:43 am

If both are out Simon comes in on the 4th line who will get as little ice time as possible. If it’s still just Malkin then same lineup. If just Hags I see ZAR moving up and then things get interesting. Do you go with Simon, Rowney or depending on whatever WBS does this week, Jooris who I think is the best idea since he has a decent mix of size and speed for a 4th liner.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Southern Fan on Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:35 am

So does Hagelin actually have to play against the Caps for the curse to continue ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:13 am

Malkin and Hagelin the only two non-practice players today. Everyone else is on the ice.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Great58 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:41 am

FLPensFan wrote:Malkin and Hagelin the only two non-practice players today. Everyone else is on the ice.

I am a little more concerned about Hagelin's absence than Geno's. I expected Geno to rest and receive treatment, and it seems likely he would have played Game 7 if necessary and so should be in for Game 1. But this pretty much confirms Carl is in concussion protocol.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:13 pm

Shelly Anderson
‏ @_ShellyAnderson
3m3 minutes ago

Just saw Malkin in Locker room area. Seemed to be limping slightly.

Thanks Shelly!
"Slightly" gives me tres hope! Heal fast Carl and Gene!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins