Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 01, 2018 3:32 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Antonio wrote:The nonsense about sprong not playing 200 ft game is absurd. Rowney and Simon don't play 200ft games either...they generate 0 offense. Somehow the idea of a 200ft game always means defense only. Frankly, I'd rather have a guy who may or may not play complete defense than a guy who definitely does not do anything in the offensive zone at all. Frankly I'm not sure where Rowney or Simon play defense that well either.

Adding Sprong sounds great until he makes an error in his own end and the puck goes into the Penguins net. If he had shown some offensive ability at the NHL level then sure take a chance, but beyond the Islanders game, what offense has he produced?

Tom Kuhnhackl has gone 30....THIRTY GAMES without a POINT. Not a goal.....a POINT (including playoffs). He hasn't scored a goal in 42 games.
Dominic Simon has gone 21 games without a goal. He has 4 goals in a 6 game period this season. He has zero goals outside that 6 game span.

Need more offense from those 2 guys. The time of having defensive forwards that do nothing but play defense is becoming a rarity in the NHL. I'm willing to bet that if I look up the stats for every other team left in the NHL, I am not going to find another starting forward (who has played the majority of the games, or would have if not for injury) that has gone as long as Tom Kuhnhackl without scoring a goal.

Dominic Simon put up .36 points per game in 33 NHL games this season. Again, he scored 4 goals in 37 games (playoffs included)
Daniel Sprong put up .38 points per game in 8 NHL games. He got all his points in 1 game. Let's also not forget the Penguins were just starting to get their heads out of their *** during Sprong's 8 games. He was a minus player 1 time in 8 games, and a plus player 1 time in 8 games.

Even though he has gone 30 games without a POINT, and 42 games without a goal, I'd still dress Kuhnhackl over Simon for his defense and PK ability. I think Sprong, playing in the same spot as Simon, is going to pickup random assists like Simon has along the way. I've seen nothing so far that tells me Sprong can't be AT LEAST as competent as Simon on the ice. So why not give your young, top prospect a shot at this point? Makes ZERO POINT ZERO sense to me. Sprong has such a short NHL sample size to make such big accusations that he can't do X, Y, or Z.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Tue May 01, 2018 3:36 pm

Risto wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:If it is a character issue then I think there are at least two differences between Phil and Sprong.

1. When they interview players about Phil their first reaction is to smile. There are likeable characters and not so likeable characters. Maybe Sprong's actions aren't endearing him to his teammates.

2. Phil is a proven scorer and playoff performer (I think he's hurt right now) and Sprong isn't.

The image that pops into my head when Madden references Sprong's strangeness is Reggie Dunlop- "They brought their f***in' toys!!" :lol:

Heard Reggie is personally putting up a $100 bounty on Tom Wilson tonight.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Tue May 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Letang makes errors all the time that end up in our net..sometimes more than once a game but we still pay him 7+ million a year. I know for a fact rowney and Simon aren't (can't) generating any offense. I don't know a damn thing about sprong and his defense because they won't give him a chance.

At least Kuhn has a demonstrable quality on defense and shot blocking...I don't know that I've ever seen the other two block a shot or do anything that I noticed or remarked on in a good way.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Tue May 01, 2018 5:30 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Antonio wrote:The nonsense about sprong not playing 200 ft game is absurd. Rowney and Simon don't play 200ft games either...they generate 0 offense. Somehow the idea of a 200ft game always means defense only. Frankly, I'd rather have a guy who may or may not play complete defense than a guy who definitely does not do anything in the offensive zone at all. Frankly I'm not sure where Rowney or Simon play defense that well either.

Adding Sprong sounds great until he makes an error in his own end and the puck goes into the Penguins net. If he had shown some offensive ability at the NHL level then sure take a chance, but beyond the Islanders game, what offense has he produced?

Small sample size, but in 8 games Sprong leads the team with a 63% possession rate. Granted that won't stay there, but it shows that in those 8 games the ice was tilted greatly in the Penguins favor when he was on the ice. Weird for such a horrible defensive player. You'd think that because of his supposed defensive shortcomings that the Pens would be buried in their zone the whole time. Oh and he wasn't being sheltered by starting in the offensive zone either.

On the other hand, our supposed safe, defensively sound player Carter Rowney sports a 46% possession rate and a whopping 3 points in 23 playoff games. (which all came in one game) Weird, for a guy that is supposedly solid defensively and the safer player......why is he then spending every shift in our own zone? Wouldn't a "good defensive" player be able to defend and get the puck out? In game 1 his line didn't even have a shot attempt.

What about Kuhnhackl? Well he scored 2 goals in 69 games this year. But because of his solid game on the defensive side of the puck, he must keep the puck out of his end right? Wrong, 43.5% on the possession front. Sure he blocks shots on the PK, but both of these guys are atrocious 5 on 5 and ruin any ability to contribute at even strength, thus taking away the rolling of the 4 lines.

So, the team inserts Sprong, the defensive liability. Could he be any worse than the aforementioned? I mean they are bottom of the barrel in the league. Sprong has offensive skill, he's a proven scorer at every level he plays full time at. So maybe Sprong gets the puck out of his end at the same rate that Rowney or Kuhnhackl do, the difference being that there's actually an ounce of offensive skill in his game. This skill could result in actual scoring chances, keeping the puck in the offensive zone, cashing in on the odd chance they get, or even just getting a whistle in the offensive zone.

Instead we roll out Rowney and Kuhnhackl who bleed shot after shot and couldn't score in a brothel with a 100 dollar bill hanging out of their fly. Is there really a difference defensively? I'd much rather take my chances with Sprong and see what can happen, because I know what happens with these guys and it's not a positive. How much worse could Sprong be? At least there's a chance that he can offer more.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby blueee on Tue May 01, 2018 6:10 pm

Here at the game 71 and 8 taking warm ups!
blueee
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Location: Just a girl and a smart phone with a Letsgopens app!

Postby itissteeltime on Thu May 03, 2018 10:23 am

Think we'll get hags back tonight?
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu May 03, 2018 10:25 am

itissteeltime wrote:Think we'll get hags back tonight?

The Doctor of Happiness
‏ @AngrierFish
3m3 minutes ago

Hagelin is wearing a full-contact jersey in practice this morning.

Doctor of Happiness~ it's a sign. :thumb:
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 03, 2018 11:05 am

Jason Mackey 29m
If I was a betting man, I'd say Hagelin plays tonight. Gloves were delivered to his stall during media availability. He never came into the room. Rowney, Jooris and Sprong on for 43 minutes.

FWIW

Would also be nice to see Phil and Brassard step up their games a couple notches. Maybe it's not possible with Phil because he's obviously fighting some kind of injury, but it sure would be nice.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Maestro on Thu May 03, 2018 12:26 pm

If Brassard and Kessel start pulling their offensive weight, the Pens will be in the conf finals...

If not, they won't.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 03, 2018 1:44 pm

Maestro wrote:If Brassard and Kessel start pulling their offensive weight, the Pens will be in the conf finals...

If not, they won't.

Unless Murray continues to play like 2013 Fleury. Then it doesn’t really matter how everyone else in front plays since he’s letting in some horrendous goals.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 03, 2018 2:52 pm

DelPen wrote:
Maestro wrote:If Brassard and Kessel start pulling their offensive weight, the Pens will be in the conf finals...

If not, they won't.

Unless Murray continues to play like 2013 Fleury. Then it doesn’t really matter how everyone else in front plays since he’s letting in some horrendous goals.

I’d rather he didn’t play like 2013 Fleury lol
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Humperdink on Thu May 03, 2018 3:39 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
DelPen wrote:

If not, they won't.

I’d rather he didn’t play like 2013 Fleury lol

I am just hoping for a better game out of him. He's capable. And I am confident the boys will score more than a couple tonight.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Thu May 03, 2018 3:52 pm

Quick hook tonight for Murray: He's been given notice.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Quick hook tonight for Murray: He's been given notice.

Time for another rookie to win a Cup?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Thu May 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Highly doubt it
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Thu May 03, 2018 4:03 pm

Humperdink wrote:

While it would be a great story that three different goalies beat Holtby in three consecutive years, it's not happening.

I think Murray will bounce back tonight. If not, then just outscore them 8-7.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Thu May 03, 2018 4:09 pm

Skatingpen wrote:

Highly doubt it

Perfectly capable backup will be dressed tonight and Sullivan has shown he will do what it takes to win. I don't doubt it for a second. Keep playing poorly? Get replaced. Big League Hockey.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 03, 2018 4:19 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

Highly doubt it

Perfectly capable backup will be dressed tonight and Sullivan has shown he will do what it takes to win. I don't doubt it for a second. Keep playing poorly? Get replaced. Big League Hockey.

Hasn’t that perfectly capable backup dressed every game? You make it sound like we acquired a new back up.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Steve wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

While it would be a great story that three different goalies beat Holtby in three consecutive years, it's not happening.

Something looked off with Murray last game. Moreso than ever. He was extremely slow to react and it seemed like a lot pucks took him by surprise. I can’t pin point it exactly but something didn’t look right in his reactions.

I saw his summer goalie coach today and talked briefly but unfortunately it wasn’t the time of place to bring up Murray’s struggles.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby flame on Thu May 03, 2018 4:47 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Steve wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

Something looked off with Murray last game. Moreso than ever. He was extremely slow to react and it seemed like a lot pucks took him by surprise. I can’t pin point it exactly but something didn’t look right in his reactions.

I saw his summer goalie coach today and talked briefly but unfortunately it wasn’t the time of place to bring up Murray’s struggles.

I felt the same way. He was off and fighting pucks he whole game. I was nervous with every shot on goal
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Thu May 03, 2018 5:23 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Steve wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

Yeah, it would have been interesting to hear his coach's thoughts, whether it's technical or mental or whatever. He doesn't look confident, but that's just my view from the couch. It would also help if he wasn't seeing a 2-1's and breakaways in just about every period it seems.

I do think he'll bounce back tonight along with the rest of the team.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby murphydump55 on Thu May 03, 2018 6:11 pm

Steve wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Steve wrote:
Humperdink wrote:

Yeah, it would have been interesting to hear his coach's thoughts, whether it's technical or mental or whatever. He doesn't look confident, but that's just my view from the couch. It would also help if he wasn't seeing a 2-1's and breakaways in just about every period it seems.

I do think he'll bounce back tonight along with the rest of the team.

I’ll be seeing him next week. Gonna pick his brain.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Thu May 03, 2018 10:37 pm

Simon with a point tonight.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Fri May 04, 2018 8:47 am

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Simon with a point tonight.

Has he passed Big Game Brass yet?
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins