Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Hagelin and Geno...updates?

Postby Durbano on Sun Apr 29, 2018 1:08 pm

One of the reporters asked Sullivan this afternoon to specify Hagelin's injury, but the coach stuck with "upper-body injury." Not that that's a shock but, as others have mentioned, the Pens usually have been fairly up front if it's a concussion.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:05 am

Delayed Offsides liked
Jason Mackey
‏Verified account @JMackeyPG
9m9 minutes ago

Carl Hagelin is skating, Brian Dumouline is also skating... Wearing a non-contact sweater and a full face shield. ... Evgeni Malkin skating in normal attire.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:08 am

penny lane wrote:Delayed Offsides liked
Jason Mackey
9m9 minutes ago

Carl Hagelin is skating, Brian Dumouline is also skating... Wearing a non-contact sweater and a full face shield. ... Evgeni Malkin skating in normal attire.

Wow great news about Dumo
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:21 am

Jason Mackey
9m9 minutes ago

Is this saying that Hagelin is wearing a non-contact sweater and face shield, or is Dumoulin, or are both? I'd guess a face shield would be more in line with Hagelin's apparent injury than Dumoulin's.

Either way, it's great to hear both are on the ice.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:30 am

largegarlic wrote:
Jason Mackey
9m9 minutes ago

Is this saying that Hagelin is wearing a non-contact sweater and face shield, or is Dumoulin, or are both? I'd guess a face shield would be more in line with Hagelin's apparent injury than Dumoulin's.

Hags is wearing the full face shield. Both Dumo and Hagelin participating in practice with gray non-contact jerseys. Malkin full participant.

According to PHN, Malkin was set to go and expected to play Sunday, but woke up with some soreness in his knee, so they decided to play it safe and hold him out.
Lines 2 has become Rust-Malkin-Simon. Kessel back with Brassard and Sheary. Hags rotating with ZAR. No line rushes for Rowney that I can see.

Am I the only one itching for the Penguins to sit Simon for a game and put in Sprong?
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:36 am

FLPensFan wrote:
Am I the only one itching for the Penguins to sit Simon for a game and put in Sprong?

No.

Simon has had at least three glorious scoring chances and did not bury any, you have to think that Sprong finishes there. I know he hit the post on one and there's more than just those three plays, but Sprong would play a similar role but would be yet another weapon for the Caps to worry about. (more so than Simon at this point)
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:37 am

FLPensFan wrote:
largegarlic wrote:
Jason Mackey
9m9 minutes ago

Hags is wearing the full face shield. Both Dumo and Hagelin participating in practice with gray non-contact jerseys. Malkin full participant.

According to PHN, Malkin was set to go and expected to play Sunday, but woke up with some soreness in his knee, so they decided to play it safe and hold him out.
Lines 2 has become Rust-Malkin-Simon. Kessel back with Brassard and Sheary. Hags rotating with ZAR. No line rushes for Rowney that I can see.

I wouldn't mind 12 sitting if he's going to make turnovers at the offensive zone blue line.
Dumo taking line rushes with Letang, maybe his return is more imminent that we feared?
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:40 am

Penguins official Twitter account just posted (with photo) that Hagelin switched to normal yellow practice jersey during the PK drills.

Yohe said Hagelin believes he will play in this series. Not sure when. Yohe also pointed out that Hagelin has "a hell of a cut" on his upper lip.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am

Best possible news given the circumstances...

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:45 am

I'm assuming then that Dumoulin didn't suffer a concussion then? I don't think you're allowed to even skate this early if he did suffer one. Hopefully the team is just giving him a break today to make sure he's good to go for Tuesday night. That dirty hit looked really bad so it'll be a huge relief if he's not seriously hurt from that.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:50 am

E-Ramone wrote:I'm assuming then that Dumoulin didn't suffer a concussion then? I don't think you're allowed to even skate this early if he did suffer one. Hopefully the team is just giving him a break today to make sure he's good to go for Tuesday night. That dirty hit looked really bad so it'll be a huge relief if he's not seriously hurt from that.

Dumoulin confirmed that he went through concussion protocol last night. He did not say he has a concussion. He said he wanted to get out there, and just not rush anything. He felt good out there today.

He also said:
Dumoulin: “I knew Wilson was coming from behind. I saw Ovi come and braced for Ovechkin. I wasn’t ready for Wilson at all. I got caught in that.” -SK

The fact that Dumoulin readily admitted that he went through concussion protocol, and nothing of the sort was said for Hagelin, leads me to believe Hagelin does not have a concussion. As said before, even in the playoffs, the Penguins have been very up front with concussions, not just calling them UBI. No reason to hide Hags "concussion" but have Dumo openly admit he went through protocol.

You also typically don't wear a full face shield when coming back from a concussion, as Hags did today. My guess is the large cut on his lip may have come with some other facial fractures, or the nature of the cut and stitches and possible swelling made it difficult for Hagelin to play.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:58 am

Thanks, FLPF! I always appreciate your insightful and informed posts on LGP.
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jim on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:03 pm

Doesn't everyone that takes a shot to the head go through the protocol now? Whether its a shoulder, elbow, glass or the ice... they go through the protocol..?
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby E-Ramone on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:36 pm

Jim wrote:Doesn't everyone that takes a shot to the head go through the protocol now? Whether its a shoulder, elbow, glass or the ice... they go through the protocol..?

That sounds right to me. I just wasn't sure if Dumo suffered one or not, but it sounds like he's ok which is great. Maybe Geno, Hags, and Dumoulin are back for game 3?
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sams_Dog on Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks for the updates FLPensfan. Much appreciated and good news to boot
Sams_Dog
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:33 pm

E-Ramone wrote:I'm assuming then that Dumoulin didn't suffer a concussion then? I don't think you're allowed to even skate this early if he did suffer one.

I believe you're correct on that. Don't think he'd be allowed on the ice at all today if they had diagnosed him with a concussion. Second Impact Syndrome and all that.

Iron chin on Dumo! :-D
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Owchar76 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:11 pm

Anyone else disappointed with Kessel going back with Brassard? No idea if it stays this way, but square peg/round hole here. They've had zero in terms of chemistry this year.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby itissteeltime on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:17 pm

Risto wrote:
E-Ramone wrote:I'm assuming then that Dumoulin didn't suffer a concussion then? I don't think you're allowed to even skate this early if he did suffer one.

I believe you're correct on that. Don't think he'd be allowed on the ice at all today if they had diagnosed him with a concussion. Second Impact Syndrome and all that.

Iron chin on Dumo! :-D

"Obviously concussions you don't want to rush — or with anything in the head — so for me I am just trying to take the appropriate steps." - Dumo

Makes me think he was diagnosed with a concussion.
itissteeltime
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:50 pm

Owchar76 wrote:Anyone else disappointed with Kessel going back with Brassard? No idea if it stays this way, but square peg/round hole here. They've had zero in terms of chemistry this year.

Kessel hasn't generated much at even strength in weeks. I don't think it's a lack of chemistry.

The only way Phil seems to get going is with Malkin. I'd consider going back to that.

Like it was mentioned earlier, the best pure scoring option is Sprong. It's rich that they won't play him because of his "defensive short comings" yet Letang logs 25 min a night and constantly makes terrible pinches.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Antonio on Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Here's an idea, what about brassard with Sprong?
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Antonio wrote:Here's an idea, what about brassard with Sprong?

Sprong with anyone seems to be crazy talk with this staff. If they wouldn’t play him all season, I can’t see them playing him in a meaningful playoff game. The 4th line wasn’t horrible last game but I’d still like to see Sprong in the lineup.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:08 pm

murphydump55 wrote:

Sprong with anyone seems to be crazy talk with this staff. If they wouldn’t play him all season, I can’t see them playing him in a meaningful playoff game. The 4th line wasn’t horrible last game but I’d still like to see Sprong in the lineup.

Especially over Simon.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Skatingpen on Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:41 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Especially over Simon.

Take it for what it is worth, Madden said the way the pens are treating Sprong is personal, it is more than just his play on the ice
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:46 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Especially over Simon.

Take it for what it is worth, Madden said the way the pens are treating Sprong is personal, it is more than just his play on the ice

They did the same thing to Pouliot, but I think in his case he got busted drinking too much a couple times.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BurghThing on Tue May 01, 2018 7:51 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Especially over Simon.

Let's see, a proven goal scorer vs someone who couldn't fall out of a boat and hit water.

Unfortunately we all know which one Sully will pick.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins