SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:42 am

Pens win 8-5

- Another win, a well deserved right to take a breather.... 12 more to go to dance with Lord Stalney's Silver Cup
- Jake emptied 4 into the Flyer beast, stopping it cold & putting it out of its misery. Jake could of had FIVE with the empty net :twisted: Apparently, HCMS listens to Don Cherry
- Sure, Murray let in a couple he would want back, but the team had HIS back, and then MM does what he does best, stops pucks when needed
- How many games (playoff or otherwise) would have 13 goals with no backup keepers used :pop:
- Sid got the Pens on the board equaling Philly's start, kept cool & lead the team with confidence and determination
- Phil looking to drop the gloves for Haggy... That my LGP friends, is the current incarnation of "Phil the Thrill"
- Hagelin got rocked, would be surprised to see him for at least a week. Haggy has been playing his best hockey ever of late... Likely see Simon replace him
- Refs were on another level in this game. That Sheary call, sort of an "even up".... that ref should not call another playoff game... seriously, that was weak
- Hoping the BJ's can force a game 7 vs Caps & then I'm hoping for 5 OT's....
- Coots has become Philly's best player. He's channeling the Bobby Clarke toothless mojo.... who cares :slug:
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby stonewizard51 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:58 am

I'd give Coots props for playing with a MCL tear and still getting the HT. I'm bettin Gudas will not make his Christmas Card list this year. Coots was by far the best Philly player. Still not good enough to beat Jake tho.

The scoring blitz in the 3rd was a thing of beauty.

To Geno and Haggy - Get well soon.
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:06 am

Games are so dependent on momentum. When Letang got away with that trip and Jake banged it home, you just knew it was over.

This team has holes, but they always had a few. Oleksiak and Murray both had wretched games so you hope this was a low point that can only be improved on. We have so many weapons and when they are going forward, we can beat anyone. That said, I can't say I feel that confident just yet about getting to the semis.

Hat tip to Maatta's +4 yesterday. He remains the top d-man on this team IMO, incredibly smart with the puck and I like him with Shultz' speed.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:11 am

wooohooo, round twoooo!

- In playoff series past, we have asked "Where is Sid".... I think he was front and center this series.
- Murray looked great at times and just average at others. I think goaltending is our weakest link at the moment. We really have no one to fall back to if Murray has an off game.
- I missed Geno. I hope he is not out long term.
- Horqvist is that guy that everyone knew we needed to re-sign. Good on JR on getting it done. He is so important to our team.
- Sully is going to have to recognize that Sheahan is a better 3C at the moment than Brassard. Its just obvious that Sheahan is playing better.
- Jake is one hell of a gamer.
- Letang....

- Coots can play on any team of mine. He is a great lead-by-example type of hockey player that every team would love to have.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:Hat tip to Maatta's +4 yesterday. He remains the top d-man on this team IMO, incredibly smart with the puck and I like him with Shultz' speed.

Yep, could not agree more on Maatta, he had a really strong game... just playing smart and keeping his head in the game.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:13 am

Flyers as an organization should be embarrassed by their fans but what happened was helped by that jack ass Eagles player wanted to see fights because that’s what the organization pushes and also NBC for trying to make this a replay of 2012 instead of 2009 or really the Pens last two first round appearances.

NHL needs to examine its policy of allowing full beer cans being sold at games. The last few arenas and stadiums I have been to either pours into a cup or opens the can or takes the screw top off the plastic or aluminum bottle so they can’t be full if some ******* decides to throw their drink.

But this seems like a Philly problem because they are trash.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

I'd like to see the Let's Go Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After thread today.

Props to Riley Sheahan for keeping it simple and doing a good job filling in for Geno.

The no call on the Letang trip will be handed down in Flyers lore for generations.

Phil sticking up for Haggy

The 4 on 3 kill

On the Flyers 4th goal on first look it seems like it beat Murray clean inside the post but on one replay angle it appears that Shultz deflects the puck as it leaves the Flyers stick. Probably still shoulda had that one.
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:21 am

DelPen wrote:Flyers as an organization should be embarrassed by their fans but what happened was helped by that jack ass Eagles player wanted to see fights because that’s what the organization pushes and also NBC for trying to make this a replay of 2012 instead of 2009 or really the Pens last two first round appearances.

NHL needs to examine its policy of allowing full beer cans being sold at games. The last few arenas and stadiums I have been to either pours into a cup or opens the can or takes the screw top off the plastic or aluminum bottle so they can’t be full if some ******* decides to throw their drink.

But this seems like a Philly problem because they are trash.

I think it is required to have the lid opened and removed isn't it?
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Durbano on Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:27 am

Hornqvist goal may have been the most important play of the game.

Never take any playoff series win for granted, but especially not against Philadelphia. Sid is now 3-1 against them in playoff series.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:05 am

ESPN stats have 27 goalies that played in the first round. Three of the bottom 7 for goals against were Flyers. We won't see another team with such awful goaltending.

Letang really tried to keep the Flyers in the game, but the officials and Beavis didn't cooperate.

Courturier. A career pest, but what a warrior.

Look out Miami Heat, the next batch of beer cans are for you tomorrow night.

Malkin out is why you make the Brassard trade, forget about how well you think he played. Bottom two lines centered by Rowney/Jooris is not a formula for winning playoff hockey.

The away game losing monkey is off their back. Good, given that this was the only series where we will have "home ice advantage".
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:13 am

Durbano wrote:Hornqvist goal may have been the most important play of the game.

Never take any playoff series win for granted, but especially not against Philadelphia. Sid is now 3-1 against them in playoff series.

It probably was, as I am reading Mackey's summary this morning, and Sullivan almost pulled Murray after the Scott Laughton goal to make it 4-2. He told DeSmith to stretch out and get loose. But Hornqvist scored just over a minute later, and Sullivan said his gut was telling him to stick with Murray at that point.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pcmforless on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:14 am

Glad that is over and they can now move away from the circus show and concentrate on good hockey. More props to Coots for playing on that torn MCL and playing like a winner (he makes Giroux look like the chump that he is), and props to Provorov as well for his playing hurt. Sure wanted to hate on Coots as he kept scoring and you had to look at that toothless grin, but it is tough to now knowing he was playing that hurt.
The Pens are so stacked with guys that turn on their games come playoff time. Guentzel, Hagelin, and Rust proved it again, we know it is in Brassard's DNA, his time is coming, Sheahan is looking like he has another level, and Hornqvist is ALWAYS switched in the ON. Hopefully Malkin and Hagelin recover quickly. I wouldn't underestimate either 2nd round opponent, but the big opponent out of the East that really worries me is Boston.
Let go Pens.
pcmforless
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:44 am

Guentzel: Two goals in 10 seconds.

Giroux: Three goals in his last 19 playoff games
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby largegarlic on Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:48 am

Yeah, if you didn't know any of the stats and were asked to pick who was the one guy in the series with 100+ points in the regular season, you would never guess it was Giroux.
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:01 am

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:05 am

J O Y
Jake; all apologies ~ he was one of my play off worries.
Goals, goals, goals~ 5 goals scored in every blooming game in Philadelpia. Well done!
Questions before the series about the pens defense and their PK unit; answered. Dumoulin, Maatta, et al performed up to the task in this series.
Riley doing his best Evgeni impersonation. Not bad. ; )
Captain Sid- steely-eyed determination. Quirky Phil- sweet pass to Jake. Patric Hornqvist throwing his just returned body all over the ice. Sheary had another very good game.
Coach Sullivan and all coaches - they have the pulse of the team.
Healing vibes to Gene and Carl- rest. Cheer for 7 games for those other 2 series.

Hey Claude, both the flyers long streak and the pens streak~ goes on. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:19 am

The Pens aren't going to win 8-5 vs the Capitals, the D MUST play better. Letang continues to show he isn't a #1 defenseman worthy of 28 minutes a night and Ruhwedel showed why he's a serviceable 8th defenseman. I really like the idea of using Schultz and Oleksiak as the 2nd pairing. Problem is any combo of Maatta, Ruhwedel and Hunwick is too soft. Jacques Martin has his hands full with this group.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:39 am

I think this was the game the Pens needed to shake it into them that these are the playoffs and it's not always going to be 7-0 outcomes. Now, they carried play the final two periods on Friday, and had a lot of chances in their Game 2 loss, but this was the first really nasty, dirty, scratch it out win that they've been able to put up. That will be a benefit to them going forward, where we will see more of these games, almost nightly.

I don't know what a head shot or illegal hit is, apparently. Giroux leaves his feet to hit Hagelin, who had already passed the puck, leaving Hagelin with a mouth full of blood. If his face wasn't a principle point of contact, how did he get so bloody? Yet every national commentator on both TV and radio are saying there was nothing illegal about it. So I am glad the Penguins took it into their own hands and suspended Giroux for the rest of the playoffs.
Great58
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Southern Fan wrote:ESPN stats have 27 goalies that played in the first round. Three of the bottom 7 for goals against were Flyers. We won't see another team with such awful goaltending.

Letang really tried to keep the Flyers in the game, but the officials and Beavis didn't cooperate.

Courturier. A career pest, but what a warrior.

Look out Miami Heat, the next batch of beer cans are for you tomorrow night.

Malkin out is why you make the Brassard trade, forget about how well you think he played. Bottom two lines centered by Rowney/Jooris is not a formula for winning playoff hockey.

The away game losing monkey is off their back. Good, given that this was the only series where we will have "home ice advantage".

Won’t see another team with such awful goaltending? Uh? Have you seen Columbus in the playoffs? Bobrovsky has yet to allow less than 3 goals in a playoff game since he’s been in Columbus and possibly in his career!

Lifetime playoff stats of 3.41 GAA and an .894%. I’d say that’s pretty ugly.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby brwi on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:08 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Durbano wrote:Hornqvist goal may have been the most important play of the game.

It probably was, as I am reading Mackey's summary this morning, and Sullivan almost pulled Murray after the Scott Laughton goal to make it 4-2. He told DeSmith to stretch out and get loose. But Hornqvist scored just over a minute later, and Sullivan said his gut was telling him to stick with Murray at that point.

He was close to a pull. Pierre mentioned that not only was DeSmith stretched but he also had his mask on in the ramp area.

I have a feeling his gut is going to tell him to stick with Murray 99/100 too in a playoff game. If it were the reg season, he very likely pulls him but not in a Game 6 and with how poorly the Flyers' team D and goaltending had been. He just let him Grant Fuhr it out and watch the team explode.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby brwi on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:12 pm

largegarlic wrote:Yeah, if you didn't know any of the stats and were asked to pick who was the one guy in the series with 100+ points in the regular season, you would never guess it was Giroux.

Or that Voracek had 85pts. Pens kept those two from doing anything except for Giroux's uncovered blast from about 10 feet.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Stillerz Bar on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:19 pm

According to NHL.com he is the 3rd but the other one was back in 1919 so maybe Elias can't count back that far ;) Regardless that was a feat for the ages!!!

Guentzel is the third player in NHL history with four consecutive goals in a playoff game, joining Tim Kerr (Flyers; Game 3 of the 1985 Patrick Division Semifinals) and Newsy Lalonde (Montreal Canadiens; Game 2 of the 1919 Final). https://www.nhl.com/news/pittsburgh-pen ... =297170864

- Even on a day when Jake dominated the Pens score sheet, Sid still quiets the crowd at the beginning and chips in 3 points. He really does love playing in Philly and hearing their fans boo him.
- Hornqvist's importance can't be overstated
- Murray seems more hot & cold than the last 2 years but still seems to be able to really turn it on when he needs to.
- Having Sully behind the bench is a huge advantage. He just always seems to know the temperature of the team and how to get them to respond.

On to the next round - here's hoping for two triple OT games between the Caps & the BJs
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MSL2 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:37 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:The Pens aren't going to win 8-5 vs the Capitals, the D MUST play better. Letang continues to show he isn't a #1 defenseman worthy of 28 minutes a night and Ruhwedel showed why he's a serviceable 8th defenseman. I really like the idea of using Schultz and Oleksiak as the 2nd pairing. Problem is any combo of Maatta, Ruhwedel and Hunwick is too soft. Jacques Martin has his hands full with this group.

I wouldn't count on it, but earlier this year we beat them 7-4.
MSL2
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Southern Fan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:00 pm

Won’t see another team with such awful goaltending? Uh? Have you seen Columbus in the playoffs? Bobrovsky has yet to allow less than 3 goals in a playoff game since he’s been in Columbus and possibly in his career!

Lifetime playoff stats of 3.41 GAA and an .894%. I’d say that’s pretty ugly.[/quote]

I'm assuming Pens won't see Columbus.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby flame on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:01 pm

If Malkin isn’t ready I really wish they’d play Jooris over Rowney as 4th line C. Here’s to not having to worry about that and Malkin being ready. Pretty concerned Hags could be out a while. I still feel like Girouxs hit was a little late and maybe it’s just me but it looked like he left his feet? I don’t know it’s done but I just am so confused by what is a legal or illegal hit now.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins