SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Lesky on Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:08 pm

Image
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,943
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:56 am
Location: Iceoplex

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:21 pm

All is right in the universe again. : )
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:28 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
- Sully is going to have to recognize that Sheahan is a better 3C at the moment than Brassard. Its just obvious that Sheahan is playing better.


This.

I said the same after game 2. I realize Sheary-Brass-Rust might have been our best line in game 5, but why not have two 3rd lines essentially? Sheahan and Kessel seem to work better for multiple reasons IMO. At least until Brassard gets more integrated/comfortable with our system and teammates:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Kuhnhackl/Simon

I want to see that lineup with Simon personally, but I get the argument for Kuhnhackl.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pekkasteele on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:33 pm

What was the lines to start the game? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby flame on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:34 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
- Sully is going to have to recognize that Sheahan is a better 3C at the moment than Brassard. Its just obvious that Sheahan is playing better.


This.

I said the same after game 2. I realize Sheary-Brass-Rust might have been our best line in game 5, but why not have two 3rd lines essentially? Sheahan and Kessel seem to work better for multiple reasons IMO. At least until Brassard gets more integrated/comfortable with our system and teammates:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Kuhnhackl/Simon

I want to see that lineup with Simon personally, but I get the argument for Kuhnhackl.

I just hope Geno and Hags are healthy soon so we can worry about it then.. but no doubt Sheahan and Kessel work well together
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:38 pm

pekkasteele wrote:What was the lines to start the game? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.


Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Rust
ZAR-Rowney-Kuhnhackl

When Hags went down, ZAR took his spot on line 2 with Sheahan and Kessel. And multiple guys took turns rotating with line 4 with ZAR on line 2.
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby OKpensfan247 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:40 pm

flame wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
- Sully is going to have to recognize that Sheahan is a better 3C at the moment than Brassard. Its just obvious that Sheahan is playing better.


This.

I said the same after game 2. I realize Sheary-Brass-Rust might have been our best line in game 5, but why not have two 3rd lines essentially? Sheahan and Kessel seem to work better for multiple reasons IMO. At least until Brassard gets more integrated/comfortable with our system and teammates:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Kuhnhackl/Simon

I want to see that lineup with Simon personally, but I get the argument for Kuhnhackl.

I just hope Geno and Hags are healthy soon so we can worry about it then.. but no doubt Sheahan and Kessel work well together


For sure.

I personally agree with your comment of Jooris over Rowney... So bad that I feel like I am too hard on Rowney lol
OKpensfan247
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 685
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:51 am
Location: Tulsa, OK

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby flame on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:26 pm

OKpensfan247 wrote:
flame wrote:
OKpensfan247 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
- Sully is going to have to recognize that Sheahan is a better 3C at the moment than Brassard. Its just obvious that Sheahan is playing better.


This.

I said the same after game 2. I realize Sheary-Brass-Rust might have been our best line in game 5, but why not have two 3rd lines essentially? Sheahan and Kessel seem to work better for multiple reasons IMO. At least until Brassard gets more integrated/comfortable with our system and teammates:

Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Geno-Rust
ZAR-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Kuhnhackl/Simon

I want to see that lineup with Simon personally, but I get the argument for Kuhnhackl.

I just hope Geno and Hags are healthy soon so we can worry about it then.. but no doubt Sheahan and Kessel work well together


For sure.

I personally agree with your comment of Jooris over Rowney... So bad that I feel like I am too hard on Rowney lol

I think Rowney plays better on wing.. and I thought he played relatively well in his role in last years playoffs. I just haven’t seen that level from him this year. Jooris to me looked reasonable in the games he played here.
flame
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 447
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:30 pm
Location: Las Vegas

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:31 pm

- For the second time in his very short career Guentzel out Marios Mario. The first time was in his first ever game when he scored on his first two shots. And last night when he scored 4 in a playoff game. Flyers
still havn't answered that query from themselves in the game at Heinz field: "Who's that 59 guy?".
- What a great assist by Kessell on Jake's 3rd ? goal. Completely faked out Elliot with that fake shot motion and pass to Guentzel for a slam dunk by the guy from State Farm. :fist:
- I havn't heard anything so far about Haggy. I beleive he had more of a problem with blood in his mouth. I think his head slammed on the ice on that hit by Giroux.
- Sheehan was a great pickup by GMJR. Did pretty much nothing with the Redwings, but definitely has contributed to the Pens so far in the playoffs.
- Glad to have Horny back. Like he didn't miss a beat.
- Just spitballing here but I think Maatta's lack of foot speed forced him develop his other skills and he has become an excellent D-man.
- Getting some rest while the Caps/Jackets play on certainly can't hurt.

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,368
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Mango Salsa on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:09 pm

Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,132
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:43 pm
Location: Inside a Filet-o-Fish sandwich

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby pekkasteele on Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:58 am

OKpensfan247 wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:What was the lines to start the game? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.


Jake-Sid-Horny
Hags-Sheahan-Kessel
Sheary-Brass-Rust
ZAR-Rowney-Kuhnhackl

When Hags went down, ZAR took his spot on line 2 with Sheahan and Kessel. And multiple guys took turns rotating with line 4 with ZAR on line 2.


Great thanks!
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:30 am
Location: Stockholm, Sweden

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:15 am



Great find, that is priceless. I love his banter with the Flyers "You woke us up", "Last time you did that I scored"....
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,403
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:12 am
Location: UPMC - Universal Pens Mojo Council

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Giroux not happy with the home crowd boos in Philly:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/peng ... 1804260131

Flyers captain Claude Giroux thinks boos at home hurt team vs. Penguins

MARCUS HAYES
Philly.com

This isn’t going to help the captain’s popularity.

But then, captains aren’t made captain to win popularity contests with the unwashed masses.

They’re made captain to help the team win games.

Claude Giroux says those masses sometimes are so unwashed that they’re hurting his team.

Maybe Giroux’s stunning assertion at his end-of-season press conference Wednesday will change the way angry Flyers fans express themselves during games. Maybe pigs will fly.

The Flyers didn’t win any of their three home playoff games against the Penguins. They lost the series, four games to two. The Flyers were often booed. The Flyers are booed too often for Giroux’s liking. He believes that negative energy made the Flyers try too hard too often.

The question:

“Was this crowd tough on you? Not just you, but the whole team. You guys are trying too hard to please them? Is that part of the equation?”

The answer:

“Yeah. I think. … I do think so. I think when it’s not going very well, fans, they can get a little … start booing us and stuff. That’s when we try to do too much. On the road, we don’t really get that. We have our game plan at the start of the game, and we carry on for 60 minutes.

“I think sometimes — I’m not saying every game — but some games, at home, it wasn’t going our way. And sometimes it can happen like that. You can have a bad start. You can be down, 1- or 2-0. You [ideally would] keep going the same way you planned on playing the game. That wasn’t the case. We kind of changed our game. We tried to do a little too much. Trying to do somebody else’s job instead of going out there and playing the game.”

Is that why they were outscored at the Wells Fargo Center by 18-6? Is that why the Penguins overmatched the Flyers in Games 3 and 4, then erased a 4-2 deficit with five consecutive goals in Game 6? Is that why the Flyers were 0-for-13 on the power play at home?

It didn’t help, he said. In fact, according to Giroux, the team was able to play with greater focus at the raucous PPG Paints Arena:

“On the road we had some big, big wins for us to be able to be in the position we [were]. At home, it wasn’t really the same result. Especially in the playoffs; we weren’t a very good home team in the playoffs. If you want to win in the playoffs, you have to be a good home team. You have to be a tough team to play at home.”

That admission might be honest, but the overall evaluation won’t be popular. If there’s one thing Philadelphia fans hate, it’s when athletes are not accountable. If there’s one thing Philly fans hate even more, it’s when athletes hold them accountable.

Fraud Giroux at it again

— Rob Volkman (@rob_volkman) April 25, 2018
Oh whew! So it wasn't the fact that he chokes in big spots

— BigMike McD (@eagleyez317) April 25, 2018
But again, Giroux’s responsibility is not to tell people what they want to hear. His responsibility is to honestly evaluate the team’s situation to help them win.

You can call them soft, or sensitive, or millennial, but if Giroux honestly believes the fans’ behavior during games is impeding the team’s ability to win, then it’s his responsibility to say so. For that matter, saying anything else would be dereliction of duty.

Don’t think he’s alone in his assertion. For him to say this, you have to assume it is a team-wide topic of discussion; on the buses, in the dressing room and, certainly, on the bench during games.

Sean Couturier straddled the issue.

“Maybe there’s some times where, I mean you’re on the power play and you hear ‘Shoot!’ for a minute-and-a-half; you’re not creating anything; it does get frustrating at times,” he said.

But Couturier also said, “There’s some nights they probably had the right to boo us. We were bad enough and we probably deserved it. … I don’t really think it had an effect on the results of our home record. I think we’re a tight group and we kind of shut it off.”

Clearly, not everybody shut it off.

Look — ideally, 18,000 simultaneous expressions of displeasure would inspire the Flyers to play harder and better. But maybe there’s a breaking point. Maybe there’s a critical mass that, when reached, is counterproductive to the crowd’s inspirational intention.

Giroux says that what often happens at Wells Fargo Center isn’t helping them win, especially this season.

The Flyers went 22-13-6 there in the regular season, matching their fewest home wins in a non-lockout season since 2007-08. These guys might be young and rich and famous, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t human.

Giroux’s comments will elicit howls from some of the same throats that produced the bruising boos that Giroux says make the players play tight. They won’t care that he’s a Hart Trophy finalist who collected 102 points despite moving from center to wing.

They’ll care much more that, in the past three years, Giroux has earned $27 million … and has scored one playoff goal.



:D
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm

You can really see the difference in the makeup of a player like Couturier and a player like Giroux. There are a few players in Philly that have the right kind of stuff, and a fair few who just don't have "it." IMO - Something like this has to be dropped at the feet of the leadership (coach and captain). If Philly expects to get better, they will have to address that kind of attitude across the board.

Thankfully, the Pens team is full of people - from the coach to the captain, and all the way down the lineup, who rise to meet adversity. I can't tell you how many times I've heard HCMS talk about players who rise to the challenge and bring their best stuff when the stakes are high.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 625
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:46 pm

^ golden
Super genius MM will delight in Giroux's quotes.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,048
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: I see September off on the horizon!

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Clawed Jaroo is a freakin' jagoff. Plain and simple. Not the type of character you need for a captain.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby BurghThing on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:45 pm

Badger Bob wrote:Clawed Jaroo is a freakin' jagoff. Plain and simple. Not the type of character you need for a captain.


Not the Captain Philly needs, but the Captain they deserve.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,431
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:22 pm
Location: All You Can Eat Crow Tavern

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:11 pm

BurghThing wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:Clawed Jaroo is a freakin' jagoff. Plain and simple. Not the type of character you need for a captain.


Not the Captain Philly needs, but the Captain they deserve.


^^^ This

:D

:fist:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 623
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:21 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby stonewizard51 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Badger Bob wrote:Clawed Jaroo is a freakin' jagoff. Plain and simple. Not the type of character you need for a captain.

And good news for all them Flyer fans is he's locked up in contract, not to be confused with locked up for grabbing a cop, for another 4 years. Sweet !!! :D
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,157
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: SCP18 Game 6 vs Flyers - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby brwi on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:15 pm

Reminds me of the one of the Snickers' Not Going Anywhere For A While? commercials where a wide receiver drops a pass and the lays on the field while the crowd boos. Trainers come out and he says "it hurts my feelings when they boo."

A few years later, race driver Danica Patrick said almost word-for-word the same thing :D

Hey Clod, it's probably too late for you to learn leadership or being a winner, but you got a teammate in Couturier who's an example. You also seem to not have observed to how Crosby responds to getting boo'd unmercifully by the same Flyer fans.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,248
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests


e-mail