Pens vs Caps Round 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens vs Caps Round 2

Postby DistinctKickingMtn on Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:10 pm

Wow. The pessimism is amazing. We've beaten these fools 9 out of 10 freaking times and some of you want to give them the series? And who says Geno and Carl are out for certain? I haven't heard a thing so far, and if Carl had a concussion we would have known by now.
DistinctKickingMtn
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby murphydump55 on Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:04 pm

DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Wow. The pessimism is amazing. We've beaten these fools 9 out of 10 freaking times and some of you want to give them the series? And who says Geno and Carl are out for certain? I haven't heard a thing so far, and if Carl had a concussion we would have known by now.

No you wouldn’t have known if he had a concussion. Playoff injuries are rarely released aside from lbi or ubi.

So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why?? Man, some of these guys weren’t even born during some those series and somehow that matters in this series?
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby Humperdink on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:23 am

murphydump55 wrote:
DistinctKickingMtn wrote:Wow. The pessimism is amazing. We've beaten these fools 9 out of 10 freaking times and some of you want to give them the series? And who says Geno and Carl are out for certain? I haven't heard a thing so far, and if Carl had a concussion we would have known by now.

No you wouldn’t have known if he had a concussion. Playoff injuries are rarely released aside from lbi or ubi.

So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??

Why you ask? Because a substantial portion of this game is mental, that's why. And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:21 am

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Why you ask? Because a substantial portion of this game is mental, that's why. And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens.

You’re saying the Caps are winning then? That they’re overcoming this apparent mental issue? That’s what you just said so I’m sorta confused.

I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Great58 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:02 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

You’re saying the Caps are winning then? That they’re overcoming this apparent mental issue? That’s what you just said so I’m sorta confused.

I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series.

No, 1991 doesn't matter. But 2009 still stings for Backstrom, Beagle and Ovie, and a whole host remember vividly the past two seasons of not being able to get past this obstacle. So I do think that when faced with adversity, doubt can creep into their minds. All the talk today is how the caps are the most psychologically healthy they have ever been, because they overcame an 0-2 deficit at home to win the series 4-2. That they've never had a goalie controversy until this season, so somehow this was a good thing that Holtby had to come in in relief of Grubauer in round 1 after struggling all spring.

I don't think Holtby has looked that solid in his return, if the Pens can win 1 of two in DC the pressure will instantly return on the caps. Especially if we can chase Holtby in an early game.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Antonio on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:04 am

If the Penguins beating the Caps 9 out of 10 times in the past meant anything, by that logic since they won the last two Stanley Cups they should never ever not win the Stanley Cup again. The past means absolutely nothing for this year.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Mango Salsa on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:27 am

Most of the Caps core players from last year's team are back this year. Last year they were the favorites to come out of the East and they threw everything they had at the Pens and still lost. That has to weigh heavy on ones mind, no?
Mango Salsa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby America on Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:31 am

I have a neutral feeling about this series. Had a good feeling in 16 and a bad feeling in 17.

My feelings don’t matter it seems.
America
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:05 am

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Except that's not what you said, which surprises me since you are the resident hockey expert, spellchecker and grammarian.

Quoting your previous comment: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??" Did you say 1991? Nope.

And I did not say the caps are winning. Where did get that? You are correct - you are confused.

Allow me to clarify for you. In my opinion, until the caps beat the Pens in the playoffs, doubts will remain firmly implanted in their brain.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mnpensfan on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:42 am

I was initially very pessimistic about this series compared to last year because we basically had the same team coming back from the previous year. This year we lost some key pieces from last year’s team and are banged up coming into Game 1. However……TSN is stating the Caps will win, the Washington Post is claiming this year is different…and basically everybody outside of Pittsburgh seems to be rooting for the Capitals to win. And of course AOL Teddy is again playing his game of scheming to keep Pens fans out of Capital One Arena. All of this has me very fired up about this series and I hope this sense of truly being the underdog this time around will fire this team up. I’m leaning more towards the Pens now than I had before simply because I feel like it is us versus the world now and all of the pressure is on the Caps to get past the 2nd round. Win one of the first two in Washington (prefer tomorrow to plant a seed of doubt early) and I think we have a good chance.
mnpensfan
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Risto on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:44 am

Last year, I felt the Pens had very little chance to beat the Caps without our #1 defenseman. And then losing Sid in the middle of the series on top of that...
This year, I'm sensing that it's just the law of averages coming due for the Caps.

Happy to be wrong again!
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:46 am

I will take us over anyone until Murray loses 4 games in a playoff series.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:31 am

Today is World Penguin Day.

https://nationaldaycalendar.com/world-p ... -april-25/

This is a good omen for the Pens as we approach the start of Round 2, yes?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:45 am

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Except that's not what you said, which surprises me since you are the resident hockey expert, spellchecker and grammarian.

Quoting your previous comment: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??" Did you say 1991? Nope.

And I did not say the caps are winning. Where did get that? You are correct - you are confused.

Allow me to clarify for you. In my opinion, until the caps beat the Pens in the playoffs, doubts will remain firmly implanted in their brain.

Sigh you might want to re-read what you said. You said the Caps will overcome that aspect of their game to beat the Pens. As in, you’re predicting they overcome it and beat them.

You’re right, I didn’t say 91 because I said 9 of 10 which entails 1991! I thought you could figure that out.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Badger Bob on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:00 pm

Tom Wilson on Capitals-Penguins: “We got a new group. It’s a new year.”

:roll:

I hope Big Rig knocks the living snot out of this puke.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bsgg-penguinsbrazil on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:07 pm

It will be close, but we will take them once again.

Doesn't matter if they say they are a different group, it's undeniable we are inside their heads. Not giving them PP opportunities will be huge, their PP is very good.

Bold prediction: Brassard and Sheary will step up big time and Maatta will score some goals.

LETS GOOOO
bsgg-penguinsbrazil

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Yeah, I don't get the pessimism either.

This series' outcome is yet to be started, but there is a psychological advantage and it belongs to the Pens.

Yes, this Pens team is weaker on the back-end (defensively) and goal-tending needs to be better. On the other hand, up front the Pens are the best in the NHL. And they have 4 strong lines.

The Caps don't have much of a history with Columbus. They came back against them and won a series they should have won. That's nice, but not a huge deal. Facing the Pens, a team that lives rent-free in their heads, is a whole other deal. Winning the first game will crush the fragile Capitals' psyche and you'll see lots of this: :scared: I do expect the Caps to be competitive and it might go 7 (I think 6), but if the Pens play team defense they will win.
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Apr 25, 2018 1:28 pm

MD55 stated: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??"

MD55 further asserts: "I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series."

MD55 doubles down: "You’re right, I didn’t say 91 because I said 9 of 10 which entails 1991! "

Taken in isolation, the 1991 series would have no relationship to the current capital psyche. But, there were eight (8) other series which you have conveniently omitted from your argument, including 7 of the past 8.

On the bright side you are correct. I should have the word "to" to my comment. It would have clarified my point.

Hump originally said: "And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens."

Should have read:"And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have TO overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:50 pm

Humperdink wrote:MD55 stated: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??"

MD55 further asserts: "I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series."

MD55 doubles down: "You’re right, I didn’t say 91 because I said 9 of 10 which entails 1991! "

Taken in isolation, the 1991 series would have no relationship to the current capital psyche. But, there were eight (8) other series which you have conveniently omitted from your argument, including 7 of the past 8.

On the bright side you are correct. I should have the word "to" to my comment. It would have clarified my point.

Hump originally said: "And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens."

Should have read:"And in my opinion (and apparently a few others here), the capitals (small c) will have TO overcome that aspect of their game to overtake the Pens.

The point was that you originally said the Caps would win because they’d overcome this historic failure. I questioned that.

I didn’t omit anything. I was simply saying that previous series that these guys didn’t play in don’t make an ounce of difference.

I’ve been coaching 25 years albeit in a different sport, but it applies in the same way. The last time a team from our region made it to provincials (similar to State) was 2003. Other teams from our region started a fantastic grass roots program and dominated our region for the past 15 years. My kids knew this, they knew the history of dominance and how we hadn’t represented in many years, losing the regional finals year after year.

This year we had a great team and had built it for the past 4 seasons. Our captain spoke to the team before regional finals and said, “what happened in the past doesn’t matter, we didn’t play on those teams, we are our own team. So why not us?”

We swept them in back to back days and moved on to Provincials for the first time in 15 years. Our Captain wasn’t wrong.

9 out of 10 is awesome but what happened in 91 and 92 and earlier on has no bearing on this series. Maybe the last couple years might because a handful of players experienced it. But again, new players, new year and anything can happen.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby murphydump55 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:53 pm

Anyone that was against the Brassard trade still upset? Many wanted more defensive depth over a 3C. Granted we all probably want more out of Brassard but without him we’d be looking at this against the Caps:

Crosby
Sheahan
Rowney
Jooris

Food for thought.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:23 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Anyone that was against the Brassard trade still upset? Many wanted more defensive depth over a 3C. Granted we all probably want more out of Brassard but without him we’d be looking at this against the Caps:

Crosby
Sheahan
Rowney
Jooris

Food for thought.

:shock:

This is gross.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:31 pm

murphydump55 wrote:Anyone that was against the Brassard trade still upset? Many wanted more defensive depth over a 3C. Granted we all probably want more out of Brassard but without him we’d be looking at this against the Caps:

Crosby
Sheahan
Rowney
Jooris

Food for thought.

It was inevitable Sid or Geno would miss some time. That 4 center alignment would have been murder on the top two centers.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:41 pm

Southern Fan wrote:

Crosby
Sheahan
Rowney
Jooris

Food for thought.

It was inevitable Sid or Geno would miss some time. That 4 center alignment would have been murder on the top two centers.

Agreed. And the team that apparently got better by picking up Cole lost 4 straight with him.
Don't get me wrong, I liked Cole's game here and would have loved to see him stay in the lineup but Sullivan wasn't having it and getting a quality centre before the playoffs might payoff big time now. Looking at that centre depth is downright scary, in a bad way.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby jitter1127 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:09 pm

I think it does matter what happened last year, but it goes both ways. The caps do not want to be sent home by the pens yet again. They will be hungrier, but this will also put more pressure on them. We need to come out, score early, and let that doubt creep into their minds.
jitter1127
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Owchar76 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:31 pm

jitter1127 wrote:I think it does matter what happened last year, but it goes both ways. The caps do not want to be sent home by the pens yet again. They will be hungrier, but this will also put more pressure on them. We need to come out, score early, and let that doubt creep into their minds.

Yeah the last couple years could play on their minds. It could work both ways as you said. I don't think the 90's series affect them in any way.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins