Pens vs Caps Round 2

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Pens vs Caps Round 2

Postby brwi on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Owchar76 wrote:
Agreed. And the team that apparently got better by picking up Cole lost 4 straight with him.
Don't get me wrong, I liked Cole's game here and would have loved to see him stay in the lineup but Sullivan wasn't having it and getting a quality centre before the playoffs might payoff big time now. Looking at that centre depth is downright scary, in a bad way.

Cole started the last 15 games as a Pen before being traded and everyone was healthy except for 2 games Schultz missed and Hunwick subbed in for Schultz and then went back to nachos afterwards. A lot of people here seem to think Cole was still being scratched right before being traded for some reason. Yes, Cole was scratched for a while this season and ended up with 47 games as a Pen out of possible 62, prior to trade. Whether he got out of Sullivan's doghouse and/or GMJR ordered Cole to be played because he was openly looking to trade him and Cole had requested a trade isn't known, but I have a feeling Cole would be in the lineup if he was still a Pen over either HUnwick or Ruhwedel. He was also going to be gone at the end of the season anyway.

In any event, Pens went with Brassard and it definitely was for playoff situations like the Pens are facing now. Counting on all your players to stay healthy the entire run in the playoffs is wishful thinking and JR got good insurance. Some people expected Brassard to be an immediate offensive machine but their expectations are out of line. He's still fersh off being injured and trying to find some chemistry with shuffling linemates. I think he'll be fine.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Antonio on Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:30 pm

I would much rather see jooris than rowney. If I never see Rowney again it'll be too soon
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 pm

murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:MD55 stated: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??"

MD55 further asserts: "I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series."

MD55 doubles down: "You’re right, I didn’t say 91 because I said 9 of 10 which entails 1991! "

Taken in isolation, the 1991 series would have no relationship to the current capital psyche. But, there were eight (8) other series which you have conveniently omitted from your argument, including 7 of the past 8.

I’ve been coaching 25 years albeit in a different sport, but it applies in the same way. The last time a team from our region made it to provincials (similar to State) was 2003. Other teams from our region started a fantastic grass roots program and dominated our region for the past 15 years. My kids knew this, they knew the history of dominance and how we hadn’t represented in many years, losing the regional finals year after year.

This year we had a great team and had built it for the past 4 seasons. Our captain spoke to the team before regional finals and said, “what happened in the past doesn’t matter, we didn’t play on those teams, we are our own team. So why not us?”

We swept them in back to back days and moved on to Provincials for the first time in 15 years. Our Captain wasn’t wrong.

You're kidding, right? Comparing your team's experience with an NHL team, especially capitals and their troubled playoff history is specious at best, farcical at worst.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Not sure if it's been mentioned elsewhere regarding the lack of a firm schedule for the Pens series after game 1, but I suspect NHL brass is waiting to see if the Leafs prevail so they can be afforded a HNIC game on Saturday night. This would mean an extra day off Pens (i.e. a Sunday game). That is, unless the NHL desires a Saturday afternoon game for the Pens, which would be foolish.

Need a Leaf win tonight.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 pm

Lesky wrote:
penny lane wrote:First game on Thursday at 7pm!
Only game one announced!

Crap. Was hoping for saturday start. Whats the rush anyway? Boston and Toronto is still playing...

I share this sentiment. Why not have NBCSN kick off round 2 on Friday with the minor series (Jets/Preds), then have NBC follow it up with the cash cows (in the appropriate time slots) on the weekend - Saturday 8PM Pens/Capitals and Sunday 3PM Bolts/Bruins or Leafs? I think that would get NBC better ratings than the other way around. Because even casual viewers know that Pens/Caps is a big rivalry. And Tampa is, well, Tampa no matter what big market team they're playing.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby PensFanSince1970 on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:39 pm

Game 2 is Sunday at 3
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 am

Full schedule:

Game 1: Thursday at Washington, 7 p.m.

Game 2: Sunday at Washington, 3 p.m.

Game 3: Tuesday at PPG Paints Arena, 7:30 p.m.

Game 4: Thursday, May 3, at PPG Paints Arena, 7 p.m.

Game 5: Saturday, May 5, at Washington, TBA

Game 6: Monday, May 7, at PPG Paints Arena, TBA

Game 7: Wednesday, May 9, at Washington, TBA

(Plan your life accordingly ..... ha)
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jim on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:33 am

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:MD55 stated: "So we’ve beat them 9 out of 10 times. That matters why??"

MD55 further asserts: "I’ll say it again. A series played in 1991 has no bearing on the outcome of this series."

MD55 doubles down: "You’re right, I didn’t say 91 because I said 9 of 10 which entails 1991! "

Taken in isolation, the 1991 series would have no relationship to the current capital psyche. But, there were eight (8) other series which you have conveniently omitted from your argument, including 7 of the past 8.

I’ve been coaching 25 years albeit in a different sport, but it applies in the same way. The last time a team from our region made it to provincials (similar to State) was 2003. Other teams from our region started a fantastic grass roots program and dominated our region for the past 15 years. My kids knew this, they knew the history of dominance and how we hadn’t represented in many years, losing the regional finals year after year.

This year we had a great team and had built it for the past 4 seasons. Our captain spoke to the team before regional finals and said, “what happened in the past doesn’t matter, we didn’t play on those teams, we are our own team. So why not us?”

We swept them in back to back days and moved on to Provincials for the first time in 15 years. Our Captain wasn’t wrong.

You're kidding, right? Comparing your team's experience with an NHL team, especially capitals and their troubled playoff history is specious at best, farcical at worst.

This is fun. It's even better when I am not even pushing any of the buttons.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:51 am

Let's go pens~ goals, goals, goals!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:17 am

No GDT???
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Inkio on Thu Apr 26, 2018 9:26 am

Badger Bob wrote:No GDT???

Still early. Assume there will be one more towards game time.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:06 am

Thanks!
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:15 pm

Via the Washington Times: "The Penguins have control of the Capitals before they even start Game 1. Pittsburgh has won nine of their 10 playoff series matchups, and all five of the Penguins Stanley Cups have been won by rolling over the Capitals at some point in the postseason, including the past two seasons against Holtby. The Penguins don’t particularly care who Washington has in net. They’ve beaten all of them."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -stay-hot/

Whoda thunk that?
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:09 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:
Only game one announced!

Bad news all around. I expect this will mean neither Malkin nor Hags will be available... also, I was hoping to catch round 1 of the NFL draft. Ah well.

Well, look at it this way. There will be (at least) two intermissions, meaning that you will be able to catch up on the NFL draft during those 17 minute intervals. :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:15 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
Only game one announced!

Bad news all around. I expect this will mean neither Malkin nor Hags will be available... also, I was hoping to catch round 1 of the NFL draft. Ah well.

Well, look at it this way. There will be (at least) two intermissions, meaning that you will be able to catch up on the NFL draft during those 17 minute intervals. :fist:

BEPF

Or record it, watch the Le'Vean Bell replacement pick, then go back to the game. :fist:
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:21 pm

bsgg-penguinsbrazil wrote:It will be close, but we will take them once again.

Doesn't matter if they say they are a different group, it's undeniable we are inside their heads. Not giving them PP opportunities will be huge, their PP is very good.

Bold prediction: Brassard and Sheary will step up big time and Maatta will score some goals.

LETS GOOOO

I wold have felt better if you had put "Guentzel" where you put "Maatta". :face:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:47 pm

Coach Sullivan: "A big part of winning at this time of year is mindset. You control what you can and have an inner belief. Every team has skill, but we've got to make sure we bring a certain 'will' to the table to be the team we want to be.

Go HCMS!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:56 pm

penny lane wrote:
Coach Sullivan: "A big part of winning at this time of year is mindset. You control what you can and have an inner belief. Every team has skill, but we've got to make sure we bring a certain 'will' to the table to be the team we want to be.

Go HCMS!

As long as the team keeps buying into what HCMS is selling, this team will be a force. You never know how a game or a series will go, but under his leadership, I've always been confident the Pens will compete, and rebound from bad breaks, bad plays, or bad games. I still find it hard to believe it was only about 30 months ago that the Pens were dead in the water, and on the verge of breaking up the core of the team. Now the Pens are in position to build upon an already solid legacy for the Crosby/Malkin years.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:05 pm

Watching NHL Network and there was a crawl that said Malkin and Hagelin HAVE BEEN RULED OUT FOR GAME 1. Stay tuned.

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:07 pm

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:
bsgg-penguinsbrazil wrote:It will be close, but we will take them once again.

Doesn't matter if they say they are a different group, it's undeniable we are inside their heads. Not giving them PP opportunities will be huge, their PP is very good.

Bold prediction: Brassard and Sheary will step up big time and Maatta will score some goals.

LETS GOOOO

I wold have felt better if you had put "Guentzel" where you put "Maatta". :face:

BEPF

Guentzel scoring goals isn't really a bold prediction though. 8-)
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:26 pm

penny lane wrote:

Go HCMS!

As long as the team keeps buying into what HCMS is selling, this team will be a force. You never know how a game or a series will go, but under his leadership, I've always been confident the Pens will compete, and rebound from bad breaks, bad plays, or bad games. I still find it hard to believe it was only about 30 months ago that the Pens were dead in the water, and on the verge of breaking up the core of the team. Now the Pens are in position to build upon an already solid legacy for the Crosby/Malkin years.

Coach Sullivan is the alpha male of this pack. There is no doubt.
I like that he doesn't, in public, belittle his team. I like that he gives thoughtful answers. He may never win that head coach award- he is happy to keep winning the spring NHL season.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:27 pm

Humperdink wrote:Via the Washington Times: "The Penguins have control of the Capitals before they even start Game 1. Pittsburgh has won nine of their 10 playoff series matchups, and all five of the Penguins Stanley Cups have been won by rolling over the Capitals at some point in the postseason, including the past two seasons against Holtby. The Penguins don’t particularly care who Washington has in net. They’ve beaten all of them."

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... -stay-hot/

Whoda thunk that?

I guess we’ll see. According to you, based on history the Pens will automatically win because the Caps are already mentally beat.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Postby murphydump55 on Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Humperdink wrote:
murphydump55 wrote:

Similar situation. The point was that history didn’t make an ounce of difference to my team and rightfully so.

The Pens beating the Caps in the 90’s doesn’t matter at all. The Pens bearing the Caps in the Ovi era might play on their minds, but I think it will drive them more than harm them.
murphydump55
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: the real hockeyville and apparently a janitor from Eastern Canada LOL

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins