Is it too early to say Derick Brassard trade was…

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is it too early to say Derick Brassard trade was…

Postby Pitts on Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:20 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:He is playing well and has nothing to show for it. Might be a different story this time tomorrow.

I am more concerned about why Kessel isn’t shooting the puck...but that’s concern that he’s nursing something, not complaining.

I heard he's been playing injured for some time now. Thought I heard hip maybe?
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Maestro on Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:10 pm

He is the one player I wanted them to obtain.
He has been very underwhelming.
Maestro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 01, 2018 6:58 am

I always thought Kane was the guy that made sense given his style of play and he's showing his playoff value in San Jose.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jim on Tue May 01, 2018 7:46 am

Owchar76 wrote:This is ridiculous. Yes Brassard needs to produce more, but to be questioning the trade is kinda dumb.

The guy had 38 pts in 58 games last year on a defense first team.
He had almost 40 points the year before while adjusting to a horrible system in Ottawa.
Prior to that he had seasons of 58 and 60 points.

We acquired Derick Brassard, a fantastic hockey player. Anyone that has watched Brassard would have been over the moon with the addition. He is a great player and nobody could predict that he would come here and struggle. Do you think GMJR should have thought to himself, "hmmm, I better not make this trade in case he doesn't work out here". You acquire a player based on what he's done and what you think he can do. Brassard has a good track record and to be questioning the trade is pretty stupid. This isn't on GMJR, it's on Brassard, he needs to be better and play to his normal level.

You can't criticize this trade, we added a player that has proven himself as a point producer and made our centre depth the best in the league. As was said before, without him our centre depth the last 3 games would have been Sid, Sheahan, Rowney, Jooris. Pretty damn sad. When you throw in the fact that we have another full season of Brassard, it only adds to what a great trade this was. Unfortunately Brassard has yet to play to his level, but it's not like we took a chance on a struggling player like we did with Sheahan. Maybe then you could say this trade was a bust.

Brassard needs to be better and that's on him, not GMJR and this trade.

I don't normally agree with Owchar76, but when I do... it's because he is right. :thumb:
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Penspal on Tue May 01, 2018 8:15 am

I think the Pens could get more production from Brassard if he played with "bigger guys". And by bigger, I mean physically larger than Rust or Sheary.... remember, this is the playoffs, they are allowing some very questionable hits. You put three lightweights out there, they are going to be tentative to some degree. Hasn't that sorta described how how that line has played?

You would also see more production from BGB (Big Game Brassard) if he played on the top 2 lines ... but this is crazy as your not going to bump Sid or Geno.... unless you switch him to wing.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Risto on Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 am

Penspal wrote:I think the Pens could get more production from Brassard if he played with "bigger guys". And by bigger, I mean physically larger than Rust or Sheary.... remember, this is the playoffs, they are allowing some very questionable hits. You put three lightweights out there, they are going to be tentative to some degree. Hasn't that sorta described how how that line has played?

I actually thought that line was playing quite well, just not scoring goals...which obviously becomes a magnified problem when Geno is out of the lineup and Kessel is struggling and apparently not healthy.

I'd probably give them one more game tonight - hopefully with the Malkin line back intact - to see if things sort themselves out. After that, I would not hesitate to drop Brassard to the 4th line to try to light a fire under him.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby BurghThing on Tue May 01, 2018 8:56 am

Owchar76 wrote:This is ridiculous. Yes Brassard needs to produce more, but to be questioning the trade is kinda dumb.

The guy had 38 pts in 58 games last year on a defense first team.
He had almost 40 points the year before while adjusting to a horrible system in Ottawa.
Prior to that he had seasons of 58 and 60 points.

We acquired Derick Brassard, a fantastic hockey player. Anyone that has watched Brassard would have been over the moon with the addition. He is a great player and nobody could predict that he would come here and struggle. Do you think GMJR should have thought to himself, "hmmm, I better not make this trade in case he doesn't work out here". You acquire a player based on what he's done and what you think he can do. Brassard has a good track record and to be questioning the trade is pretty stupid. This isn't on GMJR, it's on Brassard, he needs to be better and play to his normal level.

You can't criticize this trade, we added a player that has proven himself as a point producer and made our centre depth the best in the league. As was said before, without him our centre depth the last 3 games would have been Sid, Sheahan, Rowney, Jooris. Pretty damn sad. When you throw in the fact that we have another full season of Brassard, it only adds to what a great trade this was. Unfortunately Brassard has yet to play to his level, but it's not like we took a chance on a struggling player like we did with Sheahan. Maybe then you could say this trade was a bust.

Brassard needs to be better and that's on him, not GMJR and this trade.

QFT
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue May 01, 2018 9:04 am

Risto wrote:
Penspal wrote:I think the Pens could get more production from Brassard if he played with "bigger guys". And by bigger, I mean physically larger than Rust or Sheary.... remember, this is the playoffs, they are allowing some very questionable hits. You put three lightweights out there, they are going to be tentative to some degree. Hasn't that sorta described how how that line has played?

I actually thought that line was playing quite well, just not scoring goals...which obviously becomes a magnified problem when Geno is out of the lineup and Kessel is struggling and apparently not healthy.

I'd probably give them one more game tonight - hopefully with the Malkin line back intact - to see if things sort themselves out. After that, I would not hesitate to drop Brassard to the 4th line to try to light a fire under him.

Thanks, I too am not saying that they are a bad line, but the focus of the thread was Brassard and he not producing. That line could and probably will light it up tonight.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ron_duguays_hair on Tue May 01, 2018 11:35 am

Brassard seems to not be able to get any type of odd man situation approaching the offensive zone. Is that a product of his wingers or 3rd pairing defense breakouts.

In the offensive zone he seems to be pulling up too much for my liking not driving the net. Is this a product of being injured and not wanting to it down the boards and get hit?
ron_duguays_hair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue May 01, 2018 11:38 am

I am not a fan of where Brassard sets up on the 2nd PP. He moves into Kessels spot but much much higher. I would think he would be a much more effective PP player down in front of the net similar to Sid.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FLPensFan on Tue May 01, 2018 12:09 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:He is playing well and has nothing to show for it. Might be a different story this time tomorrow.

I am more concerned about why Kessel isn’t shooting the puck...but that’s concern that he’s nursing something, not complaining.

Numbers yesterday from Jason Mackey:

Phil Kessel 2016-17 postseason through eight games:
47 five-on-five shot attempts, 20 on goal, four goals

Phil Kessel 2017-18 postseason through eight games:
23 five-on-five shot attempts, seven on goal, one goal
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby no name on Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 pm

Not going to call it a bust now, nor will I call it one it after the season. But I think our needs could of been addressed better in my opinion. Hate even giving an opinion since I know Sully and Jim R know their business but this is what a message is for anyway.

3C at the end of the season I thought was being filled in nicely by Sheehan. Didn't think we needed a top 3rd line center. I was hoping to fill in a need on Sids winger. Nash, Grabner or Kane I thought would of been a better pick up. Also in my mind if we don't make the Brassard deal we would still have Cole and Reeves on the roster for this playoff run. Reeves could be used nicely right now just hoping to play with him on Sids line for a shift or 2 and having him run their guys like Wilson is doing. Cole (my playoff warrior) well his services can't be under valued. Look him BJs defence shaped up after his arrival. When you can slot your D in the right position wow does it do wonders.

Letang Dumo
Olesiak Schultz
Rudy Maatta
Hunwik

Letang Dumo
Cole Schultz
Olesiak Maatta
Rudy
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Cow_Master66 on Tue May 01, 2018 4:48 pm

no name wrote:Not going to call it a bust now, nor will I call it one it after the season. But I think our needs could of been addressed better in my opinion. Hate even giving an opinion since I know Sully and Jim R know their business but this is what a message is for anyway.

3C at the end of the season I thought was being filled in nicely by Sheehan. Didn't think we needed a top 3rd line center. I was hoping to fill in a need on Sids winger. Nash, Grabner or Kane I thought would of been a better pick up. Also in my mind if we don't make the Brassard deal we would still have Cole and Reeves on the roster for this playoff run. Reeves could be used nicely right now just hoping to play with him on Sids line for a shift or 2 and having him run their guys like Wilson is doing. Cole (my playoff warrior) well his services can't be under valued. Look him BJs defence shaped up after his arrival. When you can slot your D in the right position wow does it do wonders.

Letang Dumo
Olesiak Schultz
Rudy Maatta
Hunwik

Letang Dumo
Cole Schultz
Olesiak Maatta
Rudy

I was a huge Cole fan but management didn't want him on the team, pure and simple. Was it because he requested a trade? Who knows, but there's something there that none of us know about so it was never an either/or situation. If we didn't have Brassard, we wouldn't have Cole either.

Sheehan was great, and is still playing a huge part on this team, but it's all about depth so we are a much better team having him as a 4C than a 3C. That's also assuming that no C's get hurt, which is never the case.

Why on Earth would you want Nash?

I liked Reaves, but why would you want him right now either? He wouldn't be playing....

Lastly, I still don't get the Brassard hate. As I said before, he's playing just fine, just not showing up on the scoresheet. He's been part of what has arguably been our best line for the majority of the playoffs.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby battleship kelly on Tue May 01, 2018 10:27 pm

DelPen wrote:The only reasons I’m not too upset is that A) he’s still words better than Rowney and Jooris and even Letestu especially with Geno out, B) Cole and Reaves were never going to play after April 1 even with injuries and C) I’m fine dealing 1st rounders when you find guys like ZAR and Bellerive as free agents.

But all that being said he needs to start producing. He isn’t hurting us out there like Rowney but he needs to be a lot better.

just a moronic thing to say, Ian Cole played tremendous hockey the past two playoff runs, he is most certainly is missed, Reaves is a loss too, most of you don't understand why. Brassard looked good against the Pens in the playoffs because he was a third liner playing our third line, horrible trade.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby usc89 on Tue May 01, 2018 10:31 pm

Brassard again underwhelms and does absolutely nothing.
usc89

Postby BurghThing on Tue May 01, 2018 11:30 pm

Done sticking up for him, ttade him in the off-season for some defense that makes less than $7M and has at least helf a brain.
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Wyopen on Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 am

I know this a little early for next season, but are there any UFA defensemen that the Pens may be interested in?
Wyopen
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby brwi on Wed May 02, 2018 7:13 am

battleship kelly wrote:
DelPen wrote:The only reasons I’m not too upset is that A) he’s still words better than Rowney and Jooris and even Letestu especially with Geno out, B) Cole and Reaves were never going to play after April 1 even with injuries and C) I’m fine dealing 1st rounders when you find guys like ZAR and Bellerive as free agents.

But all that being said he needs to start producing. He isn’t hurting us out there like Rowney but he needs to be a lot better.

just a moronic thing to say, Ian Cole played tremendous hockey the past two playoff runs, he is most certainly is missed, Reaves is a loss too, most of you don't understand why. Brassard looked good against the Pens in the playoffs because he was a third liner playing our third line, horrible trade.

Yeah, because the Pens' 3rd line in the playoffs was so bad, right :face:

NHL refs are quicker to call anything on Reaves, and a matter of fact, any Penguin that is supposed to be a physical menace or fights. What's he going to do? Wilson can play decently on the Caps 1st line. You want to put Reaves out there against them? The man is a defensive liability and will not get any break if he tries to be very physical or instigate. Vegas isn't pressboxing him for nothing, and the time to play a Reaves would have been the Kings' series, but nope.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins