No Hearing for Wilson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: No Hearing for Wilson

Postby Risto on Wed May 02, 2018 12:32 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:People like GMJR and Mario need to start blasting the league publicly for this nonsense. I hope the NHL goes bankrupt cause of the concussion lawsuits, they definitely deserve it. They do nothing to protect player safety.

JR did blast the league, very candidly, after last year's playoffs. And then he backed up his words with action- paying a fairly high price to bring in the league's reigning heavyweight. But then...
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 1:30 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
no name wrote:I just got to wonder if Wilson would be doing all this stuff if Reaves was still on our team. I mean would it of done anything?? I just got to wonder. Wilson was quite subdued during the regular season. We will never know and that is why this question will always be asked.

Hate to say it passion is one thing, but your coaches got to direct you to do that stuff or something.

He started doing this stuff in Round 1 with the Alex Wennberg hit, almost identical to the Dumo hit.....so the answer is yes. And Wilson refuses to stick up for his actions. He'd never fight Reaves.

Also, it appears that Brooks Orpik was one of the asshats making fun of Aston-Reese. Watched a replay this morning, and Orpik is leaning over the boards saying something, and ZAR throws his glove in his face after his comments.

Somehow Orpik grew a pair once he moved to the Capital. I have never understood how someone could be so different after a trade.

Laughing at an injured player and standing up when called out are two different things. Orpik is still Orpik.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 2:12 pm

Was 2016 the lone year where Caps did not injure Penguins players? Or have I forgotten something?
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Remember this one?

Ovechkin is a piece of **** player that also has superstar status. That's the worst combination I think you can find in Hockey. Whenever he does something dirty, the league is more apt to turn the other way.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 2:21 pm

Have I missed something? (I guess I missed Ovechkin chasing Malkin around back in 2009)

In 2009 ovechkin kneed Gonchar who got a knee injury.

2016. Orpik tried to injure Maatta. Wilson tried to end Shearys career by kneeing him.

In 2017 Crosby got a concussion from Ovechking slashing him in the neck/head and then Niskanen followed it up. Sheary was also concussed.

In 2018 Niskanen kneeing Guentzel, and Wilson on Dumo and ZAR, and this is only after 3 games.

See the pattern?

Clearly the capitals are trying to injure the Pens so they can finally beat them!
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby E-Ramone on Wed May 02, 2018 2:23 pm

Was it also 2009 when Ovechkin fired a slap shot at Scuds in the dying seconds of the last game of the series?
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Risto wrote:
AlexPKeaton wrote:People like GMJR and Mario need to start blasting the league publicly for this nonsense. I hope the NHL goes bankrupt cause of the concussion lawsuits, they definitely deserve it. They do nothing to protect player safety.

JR did blast the league, very candidly, after last year's playoffs. And then he backed up his words with action- paying a fairly high price to bring in the league's reigning heavyweight. But then...

GMJR standing up will do nothing. It needs to be Mario and Burkle, and, quite honestly, it needs to be a good 10 or more owners pushing for change before anyone starts listening. If the owners/BOG tell Bettman they want to eliminate headshots, and adopt international rules, it can happen.

Blame the owners. They have to want it, and it doesn't seem like enough of them do to change the current ways of the NHL.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 2:39 pm

Also, for those wondering about still having Reaves, would this be happening, the answer is yes....straight from GMJR's mouth courtesy of Yohe's discussion with GMJR Monday after the Dumo hit. GMJR essentially indicated that Reaves didn't fit coaching staff's plans and would not be dressed in the playoffs.....

==================
When he sees Wilson taking runs at players, does Rutherford wish he still employed Reaves?

“No,” he said. “For one thing, we wouldn’t still be playing if we didn’t get the center we needed in that trade. We really needed Brassard once Geno got hurt (against the Flyers). We needed a center and Reaves had to be a part of the trade. Number two, it was just going in a certain direction from the coaches. He wasn’t going to be on the fourth line down the stretch and in the playoffs.”

Rutherford said the Penguins aren’t without toughness but that he’d prefer they turn the other cheek.
==================
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 02, 2018 2:46 pm

FLPensFan wrote:
Risto wrote:

GMJR standing up will do nothing. It needs to be Mario and Burkle, and, quite honestly, it needs to be a good 10 or more owners pushing for change before anyone starts listening. If the owners/BOG tell Bettman they want to eliminate headshots, and adopt international rules, it can happen.

Blame the owners. They have to want it, and it doesn't seem like enough of them do to change the current ways of the NHL.

The owners don't want change. That's why the NHLPA has to be the one to force it. There's nothing to indicate they aren't just as backward, but that's the group that should be appropriately motivated.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 2:57 pm

FLPensFan wrote: ”Rutherford said the Penguins aren’t without toughness but that he’d prefer they turn the other cheek.
==================

Someone needs to ask Rutherford if Zach Aston-Reese is able to turn either one of his cheeks this morning.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby djlm on Wed May 02, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm not saying someone should "Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik" Tom Wilson, but someone should say that.

djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 3:34 pm

djlm wrote:I'm not saying someone should "Shawn Thornton on Brooks Orpik" Tom Wilson, but someone should say that.

I started writing that comment this morning, but deleted it before I posted it. I thought it would be over the top. Not that Wilson does not deserve it. He surely does.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 3:38 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
FLPensFan wrote:
Risto wrote:

The owners don't want change. That's why the NHLPA has to be the one to force it. There's nothing to indicate they aren't just as backward, but that's the group that should be appropriately motivated.

I agree, and seeing that Alan Walsh was tweeting about the head shots, that may be another big point in next lockout:

1. Elimination of Escrow....players are losing money due to escrow. I have heard this be described as "the hill they will die." They won't stand for escrow any more, and this is why I think the cap won't be as high as some predict next season.
2. Eliminating headshots - simply adopting the international rules would be a HUGE start. Doesn't matter if intentional or accidental, you hit the head, it is at a minimum a penalty.
3. Suspensions - Again, a different sport, but this isn't hard either. I like to think of a modified soccer style system. Using Wilson as an example, he had a headshot against Wennberg. That earns the equivalent of a yellow card, a warning. He had a head shot against Dumoulin. That earned another yellow card, and having two yellow cards in a season amounts to a 2 game suspension. If the play at the time is warranted enough to be severe to cause a 5 minute major and game misconduct, it's a red card, and he gets 4-5 games. Multiple repeated offenses in a season increase the # of games. 3 year history used in determining multiplier for repeat offenders.

The solutions are rather simple to 2 and 3, the NHL just has no desire to change it.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Malkintent on Wed May 02, 2018 3:40 pm

Lesky wrote:Have I missed something? (I guess I missed Ovechkin chasing Malkin around back in 2009)

In 2009 ovechkin kneed Gonchar who got a knee injury.

2016. Orpik tried to injure Maatta. Wilson tried to end Shearys career by kneeing him.

In 2017 Crosby got a concussion from Ovechking slashing him in the neck/head and then Niskanen followed it up. Sheary was also concussed.

In 2018 Niskanen kneeing Guentzel, and Wilson on Dumo and ZAR, and this is only after 3 games.

See the pattern?

Clearly the capitals are trying to injure the Pens so they can finally beat them!

Orpik did injure Maatta. Gave him a concussion and he missed a few games.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby djlm on Wed May 02, 2018 3:47 pm

Humperdink wrote:
I started writing that comment this morning, but deleted it before I posted it. I thought it would be over the top. Not that Wilson does not deserve it. He surely does.

That's why I'm not saying it myself, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it's over the top. Some in the gdt suggested his plane should crash on the way to DC, that's a little over the top. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
djlm
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 3:50 pm

Trotz says that Wilson was laughing at something else, not at ZAR's injury:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/136 ... ot-at-zach

I'm really tired of that no-neck piece of crap. He looks like he should be a creepy undead character in Beetlejuice.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 3:53 pm

Badger Bob wrote:Trotz says that Wilson was laughing at something else, not at ZAR's injury:

Yeah, he was laughing at what he did to Dumo the previous game.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 4:09 pm

Interesting:

Adam Gretz
This would be his *third* suspension this season. In the history of the DoPS (start of the 2011-12 season) no player has ever been suspended three times in one year. His first one this year was two preseason games. His second escalated to four regular season games.

Wilson is a menace to player safety.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fat Old Frank on Wed May 02, 2018 4:20 pm

At the game they showed Wilson on the jumbotron for a good 20 seconds or more. The crowd was really fired up, I got the impression that's what he was smiling about, the effect he had on the crowd. It wasn't just him, whoever it was next to him was yukking it up too. It really was disgusting.
It might be interesting if that bit of video were available.
Fat Old Frank
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby alancac98 on Wed May 02, 2018 5:12 pm

If you truel want to take out these kind of hits, punish the other team at minimum equally for the same period of time the injured player misses. As an example, say Wilson takes out Crosby for the rest of the series with an illegal hit to the head. Wilson is suspended for the same amount of time as Crosby misses. Now, here is where it gets decisive. Not only does Wilson lose time, but the Capitals also lose Ovechkin as a means of leveling the playing field, so to speak. Ovechkin also loses same amount of time as Crosby. Now, some may say two for the price of one isn't fair, but what you would have is 4th line nothing's taking runs at your number 1's as they are much easier to replace than a number 1. Teams would suffer and thus, not take cheap shots - the problem would be fixed.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins