No Hearing for Wilson

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: No Hearing for Wilson

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 8:34 am

Time to dress Reaves, amirite?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

brwi wrote:Should there be a new thread "No Hearing for Wilson Part 2" or just leave it all in one thread?

You can edit the title of this thread to "No hearing for Wilson 2.0" :D and just keeping editing the title until the series is over.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Inkio on Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

https://twitter.com/joshyohe_pgh/status ... 27457?s=21

Trots seems to think a player who injured another player and then laughs about it afterwords is mature. Realllyyy makes me question the type of people in this world

https://twitter.com/carbombboom13/statu ... 50981?s=21

Even a POS like Carcillo thinks it’s messed up...
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 9:00 am

The former players suit for concussions and CTE is slowly moving thru the court system. NFL had to pay out $1 billion. Bettman and NHLPA solution is to obviously enforce protocol after the hit. No enforcement on prevention. Regardless of what happens to Wilson in the next 24 hours, it’s bad P R for the league to have a guy laughing and getting high fives on the bench three feet away from where the blood is still on the ice

The jury pool probably won’t be made up of ex nhlers that work for Comcast or the nhl network.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed May 02, 2018 9:20 am

People like GMJR and Mario need to start blasting the league publicly for this nonsense. I hope the NHL goes bankrupt cause of the concussion lawsuits, they definitely deserve it. They do nothing to protect player safety.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Wed May 02, 2018 9:35 am

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/m ... -1.1073969

I listened to Bob McKenzie explain about rule 48. bottom line, until the GMs and the players demand all hits to the head via the shoulder on should or body on body. The game and rule will not change.
Mckenzie is right, the sport needs to listen to the science of hits to the head.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 9:37 am

penny lane wrote:https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050/mckenzie-could-be-at-least-10-gm-s-who-want-to-get-rid-of-all-head-contact-1.1073969

I listened to Bob McKenzie explain about rule 48. bottom line, until the GMs and the players demand all hits to the head via the shoulder on should or body on body. The game and rule will not change.
Mckenzie is right, the sport needs to listen to the science of hits to the head.

It's not going to happen when it's a league run by "Cement Heads". Plus they love the drama this creates. Who cares if a player's career is threatened?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 9:38 am

There is a hearing for Wilson today, finally, after 3 predatory hits in 9 playoff games this year.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 9:40 am

And he'll probably just get fined.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MWW on Wed May 02, 2018 9:41 am

FLPensFan wrote:There is a hearing for Wilson today, finally, after 3 predatory hits in 9 playoff games this year.

Hell froze over...
MWW
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:46 am

FLPensFan wrote:There is a hearing for Wilson today, finally, after 3 predatory hits in 9 playoff games this year.

He'll get the Chris Pronger Trophy handed to him by Perros.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 10:10 am

FYI, this is a phone hearing.

From NHL.com

What is the difference between a telephone hearing and an in-person hearing?

If the Department of Player Safety determines that any Supplemental Discipline from an infraction will result in five games or less or a fine of more than $5,000, the hearing is conducted by phone.

If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed May 02, 2018 10:20 am

If the NHL wanted to look like it cared it would not have a Goon in charge of player safety. Put a lady bing trophy winner in charge it would look much better. Than Parros, Grauge league.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am

After Dumo started and showed early that not only did he not have any adverse effects but was also playing effectively, DOPS was probably breaking their hands patting backs for doing nothing about Wilson's hit on Dumo. Then, here comes Wilson on ZAR and the end of their happiness now that they are under even heavier scrutiny and have to "do something."
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pekkasteele on Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am

Badger Bob wrote:FYI, this is a phone hearing.

From NHL.com

If the Department of Player Safety determines that any Supplemental Discipline from an infraction will result in five games or less or a fine of more than $5,000, the hearing is conducted by phone.

If the infraction might require a suspension of six games or more, the offending Player is offered the opportunity to an in-person hearing. In this case, the Player remains suspended until the hearing takes place. If the Player waives his right to an in-person hearing, the hearing will be conducted by phone.

So it could still mean, no fine or suspension at all?
pekkasteele
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Abe Frohman on Wed May 02, 2018 10:23 am

I work with numerous Oral & Maxillofacial surgeons. I have delivered general anesthesia to numerous patients with mandibular fractures. U simply cannot break a jaw without a direct hit to the face. A shoulder-to-shoulder hit does NOT fracture a jaw.

The league has a problem with this. I was at the game. It happened directly in front of me. The refs saw the hit. Wilson is a predator, plain and simple. I dare the NHL to not suspend him for numerous games.
Last edited by Abe Frohman on Wed May 02, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 10:26 am

Abe Frohman wrote:I work with numerous Oral & Maxillofacial surgeons. I have delivered general anestgesia to numerous patients with mandibular fractures. U simply cannot break a jaw without a direct hit to tge face. A shoulder-to-shoulder hit does NOT fracture a jaw.

The league has a problem with this. I was at the game. It hapoened directly in front of me. The refs saw the hit. Wilson is a predator, plain and simple. I dare the NHL to not suspend him for numeroys games.

NFL: We're the worst at protecting our players!

NHL: Hold my Molson, eh.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 10:45 am

Abe Frohman wrote:I work with numerous Oral & Maxillofacial surgeons. I have delivered general anesthesia to numerous patients with mandibular fractures. U simply cannot break a jaw without a direct hit to the face. A shoulder-to-shoulder hit does NOT fracture a jaw.

The league has a problem with this. I was at the game. It happened directly in front of me. The refs saw the hit. Wilson is a predator, plain and simple. I dare the NHL to not suspend him for numerous games.

So you had a better view of the play than the linesman who turned his back away from the play.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

pekkasteele wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:FYI, this is a phone hearing.

From NHL.com

So it could still mean, no fine or suspension at all?

I think it means that he's going to at least get fined. Suspension can be 0 to 5 games with the telephone hearing.

Wilson can also appeal after the ruling.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Wed May 02, 2018 10:46 am

I just got to wonder if Wilson would be doing all this stuff if Reaves was still on our team. I mean would it of done anything?? I just got to wonder. Wilson was quite subdued during the regular season. We will never know and that is why this question will always be asked.

Hate to say it passion is one thing, but your coaches got to direct you to do that stuff or something.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 02, 2018 10:58 am

no name wrote:I just got to wonder if Wilson would be doing all this stuff if Reaves was still on our team. I mean would it of done anything?? I just got to wonder. Wilson was quite subdued during the regular season. We will never know and that is why this question will always be asked.

Hate to say it passion is one thing, but your coaches got to direct you to do that stuff or something.

Let's just entertain the idea for a second for debate. IF Reaves were still on the team:

1, Would he even be in the lineup for the playoffs? He is not in the lineup for the Knights. Why would he be for the Penguins?
2, IF he did get into the lineup, would his pressense alone have stopped Wilson from running around? Oleksiak is a big guy, and went after Wilson and Wilson didnt want anything to do with him. This still does not stop Wilson from running around.
3, Reaves big addition was his willingness to stick up for a teammate and FIGHT. Would you have been willing to give up a PP for an instigating penalty in this case? In such a tight game?

My conclusion: Reaves would have been irrelevant if we had him on our team or not. He most likely would have been in and out of the lineup at best... sitting in the press box most likely. If he was out there, Wilson would still do Wilson things and Reaves would probably have taken a couple dumb penalties in order to "prove" why his pressense is still important to the game of hockey.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jreed on Wed May 02, 2018 11:07 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
no name wrote:I just got to wonder if Wilson would be doing all this stuff if Reaves was still on our team. I mean would it of done anything?? I just got to wonder. Wilson was quite subdued during the regular season. We will never know and that is why this question will always be asked.

Let's just entertain the idea for a second for debate. IF Reaves were still on the team:

1, Would he even be in the lineup for the playoffs? He is not in the lineup for the Knights. Why would he be for the Penguins?
2, IF he did get into the lineup, would his pressense alone have stopped Wilson from running around? Oleksiak is a big guy, and went after Wilson and Wilson didnt want anything to do with him. This still does not stop Wilson from running around.
3, Reaves big addition was his willingness to stick up for a teammate and FIGHT. Would you have been willing to give up a PP for an instigating penalty in this case? In such a tight game?

My conclusion: Reaves would have been irrelevant if we had him on our team or not. He most likely would have been in and out of the lineup at best... sitting in the press box most likely. If he was out there, Wilson would still do Wilson things and Reaves would probably have taken a couple dumb penalties in order to "prove" why his pressense is still important to the game of hockey.

I agree. This is how Tom Wilson plays. He is reckless and I don't think Reaves would be much of a deterrent to him. The only way he stops doing what he is doing is taking him off the ice. I have to say, most players in the NHL have some sort care/respect for his fellow competitors. Wilson doesn't seem to have that.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 11:31 am

He started doing this stuff in Round 1 with the Alex Wennberg hit, almost identical to the Dumo hit.....so the answer is yes. And Wilson refuses to stick up for his actions. He'd never fight Reaves.

Also, it appears that Brooks Orpik was one of the asshats making fun of Aston-Reese. Watched a replay this morning, and Orpik is leaning over the boards saying something, and ZAR throws his glove in his face after his comments.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 02, 2018 11:56 am

FLPensFan wrote:

He started doing this stuff in Round 1 with the Alex Wennberg hit, almost identical to the Dumo hit.....so the answer is yes. And Wilson refuses to stick up for his actions. He'd never fight Reaves.

Also, it appears that Brooks Orpik was one of the asshats making fun of Aston-Reese. Watched a replay this morning, and Orpik is leaning over the boards saying something, and ZAR throws his glove in his face after his comments.

Somehow Orpik grew a pair once he moved to the Capital. I have never understood how someone could be so different after a trade.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Wed May 02, 2018 12:14 pm

FLPensFan wrote:

That's one of the things that I liked about Reaves. Reaves would not have given Wilson the option not to fight. Reaves is incredibly strong. Even if Wilson turtled Reaves had the strength to hold him up and still punch away. Wilson's options would have been to take a pounding or defend himself. He would not have had the option to not fight (if Reaves wanted it). Then again, that would also be the last time we saw Reaves as coach snowflake would have banished him for showing some spine.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins