SCP18 Game 3 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

SCP18 Game 3 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Penspal on Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 am

Pens lose 4-3 to Caps

- A good back and forth playoff game, mistakes were the difference as they always are come playoff time
- Geno looked rusty which has the upside of him better easily being better for the next game
- How there was no penalty on Wilson tripping Maatta for the winning goal... refs are :slug:
- A lot being made of the Pens Dmen pinching.... this is not new, and when the other team makes a good play.... its risky
- Wilson... what can be said about him. F#$%^^ Goon is best. Loved seeing Oleksiak get all crazy eyed at one point.... more please
- Didn't like the hit on Aston-Reese, but I don't believe it was ANYWHERE near as bad as the Dumo hit. NHL DOPS will do nothing
- Does that mean the Sprong addicts will finally get their dose? I'd like to see a guy who can bang bodies take the spot.
- Anyone else think that the Caps looked... well surprised to win the game?
- LGP needs to get the mojo/juju/luck thread cranked up!
- We got us a series now... and if your feeling ill/down/worried, just remember your prediction... Pens were bound to lose a few battles in the war.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: SCP18 Game 3 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby penny lane on Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 am

We have to stop with the loser’s talk now. All of those things the pens cannot control, let it go!
Mario needs to tell the story of 1993. Darius Kasparaitis! He bothered everybody and their focus was off.

IN game 3, they needed a 2-goal separation. Holtby was good and lucky.
I have faith in the pens and Coach Sullivan.
Sullivan, in being able to maintain his demeanor to his players and reporters, is a lesson for me, and all of us.

Game 4- It's time to break-
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Advent is perfect for the start of good play- teamwork.

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 7:11 am

Suggestion for the tripping on Maatta:

If the refs dont want to decide the outcome of a game with 60 seconds left by calling a slamdunk blatant penalty.

How about allowing the refs to blow the whistle and state "Caps player made a tripping offense, but since its the last minute of the game we cant take the penalty, but we dont want the trip to lead to a direct goal for the Caps either so we blew the play dead and will have a faceoff at center ice""

This actually makes more sense than what happened on the ice in this game.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby brwi on Wed May 02, 2018 7:27 am

Besides wiping out ZAR, Wilson's big effect was forcing Maatta to make a terrible turnover leading to the game winner. Forget what Wilson did to Maatta after the turnover because it's going the other way odd man regardless. Yeah, it was a penalty, but so be it.

Phil REALLY looks bad out there. Whether it's an undisclosed injury, too much hockey the past 2 yrs and burn-out for a guy who isn't the poster child for conditioning to begin with, or not being able to find any consistent rhythm with shifting lines and linemates, who knows. Looks like a player in need of a break but won't get one at this time of year.

As fantastic as Jake,Sid, horny have been, that's how mediocre the rest of the forwards have been. No production. Not much zone time in the offensive zone. Brassard is almost MIA except on some faceoffs. Sheahan's play has dropped off all around. Simon can't do anything when he stumbles into a chance. Kuhnackel is playing pretty well but he's limited and can only do so much, but he's meeting expectations at least. Sheary is actually holding up well and probably playing better than anyone outside of the 1st line with Malkin out one game and a little rusty last night. Rowney in pressbox where he belongs. ZAR was OK but he's done now. Rust, not bad, but could use a goal or two from him.

Murray hasn't looked good the last 2 games. He's not got any time to spare and about all the Pens can do is hope he gets his mojo going. If he has a stinker in Game 4, you might see DeSmith, but Murray would have to be pretty bad and have a big effect on a Game 4 loss.

Out of breath before getting to the D. It's what was expected, generally iffy. Not bad and not too good.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Inkio on Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 am

Im still actually sick to my stomach from this Wilson crap.

When you see a guy smiling after breaking a guys jaw and giving him a concussion it gives you no hope for humanity. Especially when you hear people saying the principle point of contact is the shoulder. That grin after the play should come into play when they look at this hit. He has no sympathy for injuring another player let alone another human being. Even Giroux after that “accidentally” on purpose hit on Letang last series went up to him right after to ask if he was okay... and that dude hates the penguins.

It does not matter whether the shoulder is touched before you hit someone in the head. That part of the rule is stupid. He barely touches ZAR’s shoulder. But because he grazed it he most likely won’t even see a hearing.

The NHLDPS needs to fire Parros. The dude was a goon. How can you expect someone like that to punish a person like Wilson? They need to put someone like Lindros or Keith Primeau in charge. They know the true outcome of hits coming from people like Wilson.

The rule needs to change to zero tolerance. No hit to the head is a clean hit. If the majority of the force is to the head it is not a clean hit... period. International rules have it right: https://twitter.com/kdpomp/status/99154 ... 42880?s=21
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am

Not gonna cry over spilled milk. Down 2-1. It happens. Time to refocus and get a win so that this is a best of three series. In every SC winning year, all 5, the Penguins were down in at least one series 3-1 or 3-2 and came back to win it. Need a big win in game 4. It will be a difficult off season for the Penguin players if they lose another game in their barn and lose this series.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am

International rules have it right, the NHL should follow: (but the garage league wants to keep being a garage league with human beings suffering for a lifetime because of it)

Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby praxitas on Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 am

Good luck winning a series when only one line can score.
I wonder how many hockey careers would be extended if someone decided to take out that piece of trash wilson.
After being worried he wasn't playing at all, I thought Dumo had a good solid game.
I've had more than enough of Simon. Doesn't help we just lost ZAR, so I'm sure we'll still be seeing more of him.
A lot of guys need to pick their games up.
Who would have thought Hagelin was the missing piece?

This series is far from over.
praxitas
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Penspal on Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am

praxitas wrote:Good luck winning a series when only one line can score.
I wonder how many hockey careers would be extended if someone decided to take out that piece of trash wilson.
After being worried he wasn't playing at all, I thought Dumo had a good solid game.
I've had more than enough of Simon. Doesn't help we just lost ZAR, so I'm sure we'll still be seeing more of him.
A lot of guys need to pick their games up.
Who would have thought Hagelin was the missing piece?

This series is far from over.

You make a really strong point... Hagelin is missed, his speed was pushing the D back... could use some more space out there.

I think the Pens just need to rattle Holtby.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am

penny lane wrote:We have to stop with the loser’s talk now. All of those things the pens cannot control, let it go!
Mario needs to tell the story of 1993. Darius Kasparaitis! He bothered everybody and their focus was off.

IN game 3, they needed a 2-goal separation. Holtby was good and lucky.
I have faith in the pens and Coach Sullivan.
Sullivan, in being able to maintain his demeanor to his players and reporters, is a lesson for me, and all of us.

Game 4- It's time to break-

Couldn't agree more with your 1993 comment. This series at the moment as become Pens vs Tom Wilson not Pens vs Caps. Yes he is dirty as they come and should be punished but the Pens need to focus on fixing the PP, get secondary scoring, and not pinch with minute left in a game or minute into period for that matter. If the Pens play hockey they win this series...without question. As for the lines I would honestly consider mixing it up a bit and doing this:

Guentzel - Crosby - Horny
Kessel - Malkin - Hagelin (He is back for game 4)
Sheary - Shehan - Rust
Knuckles - Brassard - Sprong?Simon?Rowney?
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 02, 2018 7:55 am

I’m almost to the point where I care more about the Caps losing and Wilson getting hit by a bus than the Pens winning another game. The NHL has made watching hockey infuriating.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Stillerz Bar on Wed May 02, 2018 8:14 am

Inkio wrote:Im still actually sick to my stomach from this Wilson crap.

When you see a guy smiling after breaking a guys jaw and giving him a concussion it gives you no hope for humanity. Especially when you hear people saying the principle point of contact is the shoulder. That grin after the play should come into play when they look at this hit. He has no sympathy for injuring another player let alone another human being. Even Giroux after that “accidentally” on purpose hit on Letang last series went up to him right after to ask if he was okay... and that dude hates the penguins.

It does not matter whether the shoulder is touched before you hit someone in the head. That part of the rule is stupid. He barely touches ZAR’s shoulder. But because he grazed it he most likely won’t even see a hearing.

The NHLDPS needs to fire Parros. The dude was a goon. How can you expect someone like that to punish a person like Wilson? They need to put someone like Lindros or Keith Primeau in charge. They know the true outcome of hits coming from people like Wilson.

The rule needs to change to zero tolerance. No hit to the head is a clean hit. If the majority of the force is to the head it is not a clean hit... period. International rules have it right: https://twitter.com/kdpomp/status/99154 ... 42880?s=21

I'm feeling the same way - Even though I have strong feelings about the league inability to police goons, I’m still amazed they are letting him play the way he does with impunity. He has now knocked 3 people out of games with shots to the head in 9 playoff games and yet he & his no neck coach continue to claim that he is just making “hockey plays.” Think about that…….

At best he is no trying to avoid other players’ heads and at worst he is intentionally going after them. The way he was laughing afterwards leads me to believe it’s the latter but regardless this is just not acceptable. When you see what other players have been suspended for this post season, the fact that he is getting this kind of treatment is even more confounding.

If the league turns a blind eye again I would seriously consider sending out a call-up good to do nothing but take him out - literally break his leg. Not so much because that would even thing up but to stop him from injuring any more of our players. If nothing is done you can be sure there will be another “unintentional” shot to the head that sends someone to the dressing room.

As for the rest for the team / game:
- Murray & Holtby have both been good but not great. The breakaways are the difference and that’s on our D. Murray has actually stopped more breakaways the Holtby but he has also seen exponentially more.
- We need scoring from more than the first line. As good as they are they can’t continue to carry the team. Sid, Jake & Horny have 20 of our goals while the entire rest of the team has 15 (with 72 missing 2 games) and they have 45 points vs 52 for the rest of the team. That’s just not going to get us another cup…..several people from the other lines & the D need to step it up.
- The overall officiating is infuriating!! As terrible as many of the calls / no calls have been, it’s the inconsistency that drives me crazy (well, except for letting headshots by the Caps go unpunished). No calling the trip on Wilson was just rubbing salt in the wound.
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 8:16 am

Going into the third we had a 19-12 shot advantage. Game ended 22-22. Not good.

I’m guessing both Kessel and Brassard are hurt. Hopefully we won’t know for another month

Team moved on quickly from Wilson. Post game comments are inevitable. I’m guessing the Trotz behind closed door comments are different than public comments. He’s not going to publicly say my first line winger is a despicable moron who should die.

Malkin a little rusty. Dumo solid.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 8:44 am

> Dumo was terrific.
> Guenzel assist was a thing of beauty.
> Murray, another less-than-stellar effort.

> The NHL is not about protecting the brain cells of it's product. Sullivan's in denial if that is his expectation. College football referees go to a replay review to determine if a hit was deemed to be "targeting". Player is tossed if it is affirmed. The NHL has 4 clowns in stripes huddle to say: "We dint see nuthin". The following day, NHL DOPS responds by saying concussions and broken jaws are just incidental to the game and merely hockey plays.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 8:46 am

DelPen wrote:I’m almost to the point where I care more about the Caps losing and Wilson getting hit by a bus than the Pens winning another game. The NHL has made watching hockey infuriating.

I 2nd that. Happy that NHL DOPS has scheduled a hearing, but, unfortunately, they are stupid enough to ignore 3 hits in 9 games, and only look at the Aston-Reese issue, and give Wilson a slap on the wrist. A lot of people want 10, 20 games.

I'd be happy with 5 games, but my gut tells me lucky if it is more than 2. His hearing is over the phone, which I think is a max 5 games, and a minimum of a $5000 fine.

Over/under on NHL DOPS blowing this and just giving a fine is pretty high.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Penspal on Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am

So.... Wilson is having a hearing with DOPS (per TSN.CA), more than I thought would happen.
Penspal
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Inkio on Wed May 02, 2018 8:51 am

FLPensFan wrote:
DelPen wrote:I’m almost to the point where I care more about the Caps losing and Wilson getting hit by a bus than the Pens winning another game. The NHL has made watching hockey infuriating.

I 2nd that. Happy that NHL DOPS has scheduled a hearing, but, unfortunately, they are stupid enough to ignore 3 hits in 9 games, and only look at the Aston-Reese issue, and give Wilson a slap on the wrist. A lot of people want 10, 20 games.

I'd be happy with 5 games, but my gut tells me lucky if it is more than 2. His hearing is over the phone, which I think is a max 5 games, and a minimum of a $5000 fine.

Over/under on NHL DOPS blowing this and just giving a fine is pretty high.

I want to know if they'll ask him why he was smiling and laughing after breaking someones jaw and giving them a concussion. Really curious on what his response to that would be.

"I wasn't laughing at him being injured, Ovi just told me a really funny knock knock joke.
Inkio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 am

I'd be surprised if it's more than a game. The NHL will want to guarantee he returns in this series.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 9:24 am

Everything with the Penguins still boils down to the fact that only 1 line and the PP can score. 35 total playoff goals, 20 scored by Crosby, Guentzel, and Hornqvist. 57% of their goals are from the first line. 4 other goals (2 Malkin, 1 Brassard, 1 Schultz) has come on the PP (not including 1 by Jake and 1 by Hornqvist). 24 of 35 goals by 1st line or PP, 68.5%. Not good.....

Score more goals, and they can tighten up the defense. But too many passengers right now, with Brassard and Kessel leading the way. Need a lot more from those two to be able to come out on top of this series.
FLPensFan
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:28 am

-Law of averages says that at some point the Pens secondary scoring will come through, right? I wouldn't blame Trotz for loading up the defense against Crosby's line and take his chances with the others because they aren't really producing many quality opportunities.
-I'm personally pretty over the Simon experiment. I think one of the Black Aces should get the chance. They would bring much needed energy being that they are playing in an NHL game.
-Outside Jake, Sid, and Horny, I thought TK and Dumo were highly noticeable all game...Dumo especially. He's just on another level right now.
-Murray...c'mon dude. You need to better. That third goal was pretty brutal one to give up.
-They've been down before and have come back to win the series. Let history repeat itself once more.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Wed May 02, 2018 9:42 am

College player Carl Hagelin is use to playing with a full shield- hoping he can return Thursday.
Pens need an infusion of unexpected skill.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: Advent is perfect for the start of good play- teamwork.

Postby IntangibleBeer on Wed May 02, 2018 10:49 am

Oh God, I like this post. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I saw that grin and I wanted a piece of Tom Wilson (I'm over 60 and it would probably have been the last act of my life :lol: but it would have been worth it. ).

You are absolutely correct about hits to the head. How the f*** can NBC watch all these shoulder-to-chin and rising elbows-to-head shots and call them "clean, hard checks"?
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 am

I don't want to sound like I'm pinning the loss on one player because there were a ton of mistakes, but that Niskanen goal deflated the team and the arena. You just can't give up soft goals in the playoffs.

Murray always bounces back, even with the two bad losses in Nashville last year he responded with a couple of shutouts. If he just makes the saves he's supposed to make, the pens will win this series. But he doesn't look confident, if that doesn't change then we're in trouble.

Holtby by the way didn't look great either - way off of angle on the Malkin post and a few others.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 11:21 am

Pens having an optional skate today. Present are Crosby, Dumoulin, Letang, Hunwick, Kuhnhackl, Simon, Rowney, Sheary, Guentzel, Hagelin (non contact?), DeSmith and Jarry. I'm kinda surprised Sprong hasn't joined the fray with ZAR now out. I thought HCMS said Sprong was an option to replace him.

EDIT:
Carl Hagelin is on the ice for Pens practice, wearing a regular yellow jersey and the full face shield.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Abe Frohman on Wed May 02, 2018 11:29 am

IntangibleBeer wrote:

Oh God, I like this post. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I saw that grin and I wanted a piece of Tom Wilson (I'm over 60 and it would probably have been the last act of my life :lol: but it would have been worth it. ).

You are absolutely correct about hits to the head. How the f*** can NBC watch all these shoulder-to-chin and rising elbows-to-head shots and call them "clean, hard checks"?

Quick answer: NBC doesn’t know WTF they are talking about. I do jaw fracture repairs (the anesthesia), and U cannot fracture the jaw with a “shoulder-to-shoulder” hit. The injury is an irrefutable indicator of a violent blow to the head. There is zero debating this fact - Wilson is a PREDATOR with repeated offenses in his history. Anything short of a 5-game suspension will be a joke...and the NHL will someday pay for turning a blind eye.

I was there...happened right in front of me. First time I contemplated throwing my beer on the ice (long toss from 203, but I still have the arm)...
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins