SCP18 Game 3 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: SCP18 Game 3 vs Caps - Thoughts from the Morning After

Postby Risto on Wed May 02, 2018 1:05 pm

FLPensFan wrote:Everything with the Penguins still boils down to the fact that only 1 line and the PP can score. 35 total playoff goals, 20 scored by Crosby, Guentzel, and Hornqvist. 57% of their goals are from the first line. 4 other goals (2 Malkin, 1 Brassard, 1 Schultz) has come on the PP (not including 1 by Jake and 1 by Hornqvist). 24 of 35 goals by 1st line or PP, 68.5%. Not good.....

Score more goals, and they can tighten up the defense. But too many passengers right now, with Brassard and Kessel leading the way. Need a lot more from those two to be able to come out on top of this series.

Yeah, that's ugly. Malkin, Kessel, Brassard, Sheary: 2 even strength goals combined in 9 playoff games.
Sheary is still 0 for the playoffs. No big surprise there.
Sheahan with only the 1 goal at the end of a blowout win in Philly.
Hard work is nice, but the object of the game is to put more pucks in the net than the other team.

Of course, having 1 line that's absolutely on fire could carry you a long way in the playoffs if you goalie was playing well...
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 pm

- I am beginning to wonder if we kept the right goalie. I like Murray, but that Niski shot is a MUST-STOP shot.
- Sully did Kessel a favor allowing him to play regular season games while hurt to preserve his streak.... it looks like it was the wrong decision.
- Hags seems to be an important piece we are missing lately.
- Letang MUST be traded this summer. MUST.
- Brassard is a serious no-show. How this is happening must be analyzed. Someone needs to take a look and see what style worked for his line in the past and try to accommodate. Otherwise it is just wasting away a third-line that we desperately need.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Durbano on Wed May 02, 2018 1:25 pm

Penspal wrote: We got us a series now... and if your feeling ill/down/worried, just remember your prediction... Pens were bound to lose a few battles in the war.

I picked Caps in 5, so you're not really cheering me up :wink:

If Murray rediscovers his very top form, they have a chance. Anything short of that and I think it ends Saturday.

I agree with whoever said the third goal was the killer. Cue the Barrasso quote.

The NHL's five-minute highlight package (which, shockingly, doesn't include the Wilson cheap shot) looks like a Murray blooper reel, with pucks squirting out at every angle. They can still lose even if he plays great, but he's a long way from that level.

The higher seed is ahead in a series against a tired team with significant injuries and iffy goaltending.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 02, 2018 1:34 pm

It's weird that some of these depth forwards have so few even strength points because I watch them and my eyes tell me they actually look pretty good. Sheary has been in that category for months now - controlling the puck, forechecking well, forcing turnovers and developing chances, but nothing to show for it. Just have to keep going and hope that the puck starts to go in.

This team is being undermined by their own stupidity. Way too many turnovers in the danger spots.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Risto on Wed May 02, 2018 1:36 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:- I am beginning to wonder if we kept the right goalie. I like Murray, but that Niski shot is a MUST-STOP shot.

At the risk of engaging in all the Fleury/Murray nonsense, please remember some of the playoff clunkers delivered by Fleury over the years- like playing so poorly in the Islanders series in 2013 that he was pulled for Tomas Vokoun for the remainder of the playoffs. Or, more recently, his 4-goals-on-9-shots meltdown in last year's Ottawa series- what turned out to be his final game as a Penguin.

But yes, that was a hideous goal for Murray to allow last night that changed the complexion of the 3rd period and, thus, the outcome of the game.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Risto wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:- I am beginning to wonder if we kept the right goalie. I like Murray, but that Niski shot is a MUST-STOP shot.

At the risk of engaging in all the Fleury/Murray nonsense, please remember some of the playoff clunkers delivered by Fleury over the years- like playing so poorly in the Islanders series in 2013 that he was pulled for Tomas Vokoun for the remainder of the playoffs. Or, more recently, his 4-goals-on-9-shots meltdown in last year's Ottawa series- what turned out to be his final game as a Penguin.

But yes, that was a hideous goal for Murray to allow last night that changed the complexion of the 3rd period and, thus, the outcome of the game.

Very True. Or even the Flyers series that MAF looked even worse.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed May 02, 2018 1:41 pm

- I am beginning to wonder if we kept the right goalie. I like Murray, but that Niski shot is a MUST-STOP shot.

Age, accomplishments and Salary cap issues really forced our hands on "who you would want to keep". FLeury was nice enough to allow us to have it play out the way it did. Right now I don't think Fleury is complaining on how his future has played out so far. Happy for him. I can't say I think we have as good of a team we had infront of Murray the last 2 years. He is the right goalie, if the team tightens in front of him we can pull this series out.

It was rumored the Pens could of traded Fleury during the season to a couple teams for a steal of a price. But did the right thing by FLeury by letting him play the rest of the season in Pittsburgh. We gave up a lot to "give" him to Vegas. In return Vegas was nice enough to return that favor with the Brassard trade cap space thingy.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby wondermoose on Wed May 02, 2018 2:01 pm

The way the team has played defense this year, I don't think there's a goalie out there that could keep the Pens in some of these games. Murray hasn't been great, but the Pens give up so many odd-man breaks and slam-dunk goals that it's just absurd. What's worse is every bad goal Murray gives up it is magnified because he's already giving up so many. It really does feel the same as the years following the 2009 Cup where the defense just basically stopped playing defense and Fleury was being left out to dry. For all the horrible things that Mike Johnston did to this team, you can't say he didn't enforce defensive responsibility. Whatever holdover from that era is gone though, and a lot of these guys just don't get it.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:07 pm

I'm not even close to in panic mode but looking forward to some line changes to get some guys going...

I propose:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Guentz-Malkin-Horny
Hags-Brass-Kessel
Kuhn-Sheehan-Simon

Assuming Hags is back, switch it up a bit. Don't really wanna take Guentz off top line but Sheary plays his best with Crosby. Always liked Rust with Crosby and like idea Guentz/Horny with Geno.

3rd line, let Kessel and Brass get each other out of their funks and put them with Hags' speed.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 2:18 pm

So there are reports that Sid may have spit at Evgeny Kuznetsov??? WTF?

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/nh ... 28ta03vdsn

And Trotz says the video speaks for itself. Trotz is a dick.

Attempt to remove the spotlight from the dirt bag Wilson?
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Wed May 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Badger Bob wrote:So there are reports that Sid may have spit at Evgeny Kuznetsov??? WTF?

I really do hate that team. But in all fairness, if Crosby spit at someone that is bush league and disgusting. But man, the Caps are annoying and just bad humans
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 2:38 pm

Skatingpen wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:So there are reports that Sid may have spit at Evgeny Kuznetsov??? WTF?

I really do hate that team. But in all fairness, if Crosby spit at someone that is bush league and disgusting. But man, the Caps are annoying and just bad humans

Kuznetsov gets a towel, wipes himself off and he's good to go. If it were only so easy for ZAR.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby ejd43 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:41 pm

Borque was on DVE this morning and said the game after Adam Graves broke a bone in marios hand, borque and graves were behind the play and the ref has his back turned and the old 29er spit on graves. He said he isnt proud of it but was basically so ticked thats the first thing that came to mind.
ejd43
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 2:51 pm

Skatingpen wrote:

If you catch the whole video, Sid's head snaps as Ovechkin grabs and jerks Sid's collar making it look like a spitting motion. It's all BS. I would also think that Kuznetsov would be saying that Sid spit on him.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sirik71 on Wed May 02, 2018 2:52 pm

The morning after, a new day. Even though my heart at times still cries revenge, get well soon ZAR, my thinking is back in line with the stay the course classy approach of coaches and players. Teams started out calm but when it got fired up, it was buckle up. Caps play a new brand of hockey not trying to dominate but relying a lot on the odd man rush, lets turn the tables on this by getting either the first one or go up by two for a change. Really happy to see Geno back on the ice, thought he started cautious the first 15 but after a stop on a dime move played a strong game. If it wasn't for a post in the third he would have given us the win. A big plus is the good news of Hags skating full contact, this could create a second with Geno and Rust that can do important things for this team. And we need that in support of our red hot first line, they are playing lights out but can't expect them to carry us all the way. Convinced that before all is said and done the third will have a say in this one but form is an untangible that's hard to predict so no timetable there. D playing good hockey not yet perfect but if they stay solid and inspired it will carry a long way. Murray will be there when we need him most. Washinton playing with urgency and desperation every second of the way, guess beating us is right up there with winning the whole thing. Somehow have to find a way to counter this. Now let us get ready and be the best we can and win game 4! Lets Go Pens!
sirik71

Postby jreed on Wed May 02, 2018 3:15 pm

It does speak for itself. Ovi horse collared him and Sids head jerked back.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby DelPen on Wed May 02, 2018 3:24 pm

Skatingpen wrote:

There’s absolutely nothing in Crosby’s character he has displayed for over a decade that would indicate that this actually happened the way Trotz said.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Wed May 02, 2018 3:56 pm

DelPen wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

There’s absolutely nothing in Crosby’s character he has displayed for over a decade that would indicate that this actually happened the way Trotz said.

Except for one taint punch several years ago. :wink:
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Skatingpen on Wed May 02, 2018 5:14 pm

Badger Bob wrote:
Skatingpen wrote:

If you catch the whole video, Sid's head snaps as Ovechkin grabs and jerks Sid's collar making it look like a spitting motion. It's all BS. I would also think that Kuznetsov would be saying that Sid spit on him.

Yep, just saw the unedited version...... jerks
Skatingpen
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 5:30 pm

Exactly right. Trotzky is attempting to deflect attention from his scumbag.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 02, 2018 5:53 pm

Cow_Master66 wrote:I'm not even close to in panic mode but looking forward to some line changes to get some guys going...

I propose:

Sheary-Crosby-Rust
Guentz-Malkin-Horny
Hags-Brass-Kessel
Kuhn-Sheehan-Simon

Assuming Hags is back, switch it up a bit. Don't really wanna take Guentz off top line but Sheary plays his best with Crosby. Always liked Rust with Crosby and like idea Guentz/Horny with Geno.

3rd line, let Kessel and Brass get each other out of their funks and put them with Hags' speed.

I propose you don't split up the only line that is scoring. With ZAR out hopefully Hagelin is close. Have Hagelin play with Malkin and Kessel. Brassard with Sheary and Rust. Sheahan with Kuhnhackl and Simon.
thehockeyguru
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby battleship kelly on Wed May 02, 2018 6:28 pm

need hagelin back with malkin and kessel, thought kessel was playing great in first round, looked faster and quicker than normal. He did make a nice little pass on the power play goal, I'd let him make plays at the blueline with shultz.
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Abe Frohman on Thu May 03, 2018 6:33 am

- Sully did Kessel a favor allowing him to play regular season games while hurt to preserve his streak.... it looks like it was the wrong decision.
- Hags seems to be an important piece we are missing lately.
- Letang MUST be traded this summer. MUST.
- Brassard is a serious no-show. How this is happening must be analyzed. Someone needs to take a look and see what style worked for his line in the past and try to accommodate. Otherwise it is just wasting away a third-line that we desperately need.

1) I was firmly in the camp of trading Murray and collecting picks or younger talent to start the rebuild / retool now for the coming retirements (albeit in several years) of Malkin and Crosby. Though I was never a big fan of Fleury, I felt he could provide adequate goaltending (none of the Pens’ Cups were won by goalies) while the stars carried the load. I understand why they kept Murray, but simply disagreed. And nobody is coming to PPG to see a goaltender after the stars retire.

2) Kessel must have a wrist or other arm / shoulder problem, shown by his reluctance to shoot. And the cannot afford his lack of production.

3) Hags would especially help on the PK against DC. He also opens up space for Malkin.

4) Letang may have all the talent in the world, but he has a 2-cent hockey brain. I never bought into the whole ‘Norris competitor’ meme. I was against his extension when it occurred, and dealing him (and his ridiculous contract) should be a priority.

5) I liked the abrassard trade, and think it will actually pay dividends when he has time to gel with consistent linemates. That said, I hate wasting Sheahan on the 4th line, as he has actually come around from the beginn8ng of the season. When playing with better talent on his line, he has looked much better.
Abe Frohman
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby midd on Thu May 03, 2018 6:41 am

Its almost humorous to hear how the sky is falling after losing a 1 goal game and only being down 2-1 in a 7 game series. I can't imagine what VGK fans are going through after being shut out 4-0 last night.

Everyone relax. yes the team needs more contribution from other players. It's a safe bet that those players know that too. Yes Murray needed to make that save on Niskanen. I'm sure he knows that too. It's the same Murray who made some spectacular blocker saves earlier in the series. But he gives up a soft goal and questions begin to rise on why Fleury was let go. Chill out.
midd
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu May 03, 2018 7:59 am

midd wrote:Its almost humorous to hear how the sky is falling after losing a 1 goal game and only being down 2-1 in a 7 game series. I can't imagine what VGK fans are going through after being shut out 4-0 last night.

Everyone relax. yes the team needs more contribution from other players. It's a safe bet that those players know that too. Yes Murray needed to make that save on Niskanen. I'm sure he knows that too. It's the same Murray who made some spectacular blocker saves earlier in the series. But he gives up a soft goal and questions begin to rise on why Fleury was let go. Chill out.

penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins