Former Penguin Carcillo breaks down Wilson-ZAR hit

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Former Penguin Carcillo breaks down Wilson-ZAR hit

Postby battleship kelly on Wed May 02, 2018 5:50 pm

stopper40 wrote:
Faubert5 wrote:If the Pens bow out this round I will not watch another minute of hockey this season.

this
battleship kelly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 6:07 pm

largegarlic wrote:I do think these attitudes go beyond the people in charge too. I've been reading a lot of the playoff coverage on Sportsnet.ca, and if you look at the comments sections there on articles about the Wilson incidents, I'd say about half of the comments are things like, "Well, that'll teach that rookie to have his head in the neutral zone," or "What is this, soccer? That's shoulder-to-shoulder, and how can Wilson help it if his shoulder continues and hits his head?"

And those people would be the first in line to demand compensation for the head injuries they suffered playing the game.

I have done some work on Alzheimers and talked to an NFL retiree who is active in the fight to get CTE treatments. The man in the video is correct - no amount of money can get your brain back. Your brain is your life. It's your connection to your family and friends. It's your connection to your memories and without those you lose yourself too.

As for Trotz and his "they were laughing at a joke someone made about the boos," that's a minor improvement at best. You dickheads were still yucking it up with a guy on the ice bleeding after a hit from the dirtiest player in the league. I do think he's worse than Marchand and that's saying something. I hope Wilson gets his.
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 6:39 pm

Southern Fan wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:
Inkio wrote:This guy nails it. Long video but this dude has it completely right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGs8zWjf-E

It's much like how most of us felt about Matt Cooke when he was a Penguin.

Good you tube from a Caps fan. Thing is, Stevens seems like a good guy and I have met Dale Hunter and he seemed like a really solid person. My feeling about Tom Wilson, based on the few interviews he’s done, is he is 100% trash as a human being

My thoughts on Stevens and Hunter is that if the league said no more hits to the head, they'd have adapted. The problem isn't the Wilson's or Marchand's of the NHL, it's the NHL itself. Suspend Wilson for X games, then up and up to a years suspension and more if necessary. They either adapt or stop playing.

To me, the NHL needs to ask itself, do they want Tom Wilson or Sidney Crosby selling tickets? Heck, he might go over the line sometimes, but Alex Ovechkin is someone to build the league around. Players like Tom Wilson and Brad Marchand need to adapt or go away. The NHL is losing fans and people are tired of "will so and so get suspended yet again" followed by a slap on the wrist.

The product the NHL offers is far superior to baseball, basketball, soccer, etc. but they languish in mediocrity because of bad decisions and acceptance of tactics that are unsuitable to today's audience.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 6:47 pm

The problem with the Penguins puck possession in the offensive zone before the caps winning goal. Ovechkin barely moved while the pens had the puck. Olli Maatta was so gassed he could barely stand up, pass or shoot when he made that error pass. Wilson tripped him, but he could barely stand because he was so tired. Thats what happens when you have a big defensman like Maatta who has a big skating problem. Its only a matter of time before he gets caught out when he is dead slow and tired. Add Oleksiak to that list, who gets little icetime and still looks dead on the ice.

The caps defense dont have these pylons to the same degree.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Cu11en on Wed May 02, 2018 8:00 pm

Faubert5 wrote:
Humperdink wrote:Interesting point of view. Although, Carcillo has an ax to grind with the NHL, I think he is pretty accurate here.[/quote
If the Pens bow out this round I will not watch another minute of hockey this season.

For me, almost. I would probably tune in to a Golden Knights/Jets western final if it came to that. But not much else.
Cu11en
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 8:19 pm

Lesky wrote:The problem with the Penguins puck possession in the offensive zone before the caps winning goal. Ovechkin barely moved while the pens had the puck. Olli Maatta was so gassed he could barely stand up, pass or shoot when he made that error pass. Wilson tripped him, but he could barely stand because he was so tired. Thats what happens when you have a big defensman like Maatta who has a big skating problem. Its only a matter of time before he gets caught out when he is dead slow and tired. Add Oleksiak to that list, who gets little icetime and still looks dead on the ice.

I agree, but the thing is....it was a penalty and the refs decided the outcome of the game. Plain and simple, they had to have seen the trip (the puck was right there), so they decided that a stick to the legs that caused a player to fall wasn't a trip.

If he doesn't trip Maatta, they likely still score, BUT the refs don't determine the outcome and we'll never know what would have happened if the trip didn't occur.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Owchar76 on Thu May 03, 2018 12:01 am

Daniel wrote:
Lesky wrote:The problem with the Penguins puck possession in the offensive zone before the caps winning goal. Ovechkin barely moved while the pens had the puck. Olli Maatta was so gassed he could barely stand up, pass or shoot when he made that error pass. Wilson tripped him, but he could barely stand because he was so tired. Thats what happens when you have a big defensman like Maatta who has a big skating problem. Its only a matter of time before he gets caught out when he is dead slow and tired. Add Oleksiak to that list, who gets little icetime and still looks dead on the ice.

I agree, but the thing is....it was a penalty and the refs decided the outcome of the game. Plain and simple, they had to have seen the trip (the puck was right there), so they decided that a stick to the legs that caused a player to fall wasn't a trip.

If he doesn't trip Maatta, they likely still score, BUT the refs don't determine the outcome and we'll never know what would have happened if the trip didn't occur.

It wasn't his stick, it was a slew foot, even worse.
Owchar76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkintent on Thu May 03, 2018 9:07 am

Owchar76 wrote:
Daniel wrote:

It wasn't his stick, it was a slew foot, even worse.

Whether the goal would have still happened is irrelevant. Play should have been blown dead.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Thu May 03, 2018 9:55 am

So Wilson laughs after he put a player out of the game and injures him in the process. Okay I get it now. I'd be willing to bet that when Wilson was growing up he was a bully. Laughing after you bully someone is the MO of what bully's do. And apparently Wilson never suffered any of the consequences of bullying when he was younger, so the action transferred to his adult life. Nice parenting job there by 43s mother and father. :evil:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 03, 2018 10:07 am

Wilson must be hung like a toddler if he acts that way.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Steve Dave on Thu May 03, 2018 10:09 am

Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So Wilson laughs after he put a player out of the game and injures him in the process. Okay I get it now. I'd be willing to bet that when Wilson was growing up he was a bully. Laughing after you bully someone is the MO of what bully's do. And apparently Wilson never suffered any of the consequences of bullying when he was younger, so the action transferred to his adult life. Nice parenting job there by 43s mother and father. :evil:

BEPF

Best revenge is winning the series, and then laughing in his face.
Steve Dave
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 03, 2018 10:11 am

Steve Dave wrote:
Big Easy Pens Fan wrote:So Wilson laughs after he put a player out of the game and injures him in the process. Okay I get it now. I'd be willing to bet that when Wilson was growing up he was a bully. Laughing after you bully someone is the MO of what bully's do. And apparently Wilson never suffered any of the consequences of bullying when he was younger, so the action transferred to his adult life. Nice parenting job there by 43s mother and father. :evil:

BEPF

Best revenge is winning the series, and then laughing in his face.

Best revenge is winning the next three games so he doesn't see the ice until next season.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 03, 2018 10:20 am

The other thing that is so obvious is the look of shock and disgust on the face of Smith-Pelley as soon as Wilson hit ZAR. He just has this look of "omg" I cannot believe he just did that and even a look of "wow" empathy for what had to be a disgusting first hand look at ZAR jaw getting shifted almost out of his head.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jf on Thu May 03, 2018 10:32 am

Sid has to keep that puck down low against the Ovechkin line . He put Maata in an awkward position of trying to play the puck with his backhand .
jf
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby jreed on Thu May 03, 2018 10:44 am

pronovost19 wrote:The other thing that is so obvious is the look of shock and disgust on the face of Smith-Pelley as soon as Wilson hit ZAR. He just has this look of "omg" I cannot believe he just did that and even a look of "wow" empathy for what had to be a disgusting first hand look at ZAR jaw getting shifted almost out of his head.

I imagine it could be frustrating as a team mate to see that. The Caps are much better when Wilson is on the ice. By going out of his way to hit and injure his opponents he is putting his team in a bad spot.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins