Poll: Wilsons penalty.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

What will Tom Wilsons hearing product be?

5000 Dollars
24%
1 game
29%
2 games
18%
3 games
8%
4 games
10%
5 games
No votes
Should of been a in-person hearing.
10%

Total votes : 49

Re: Poll: Wilsons penalty.

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 6:05 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:As nauseating as it was to see Wilson laughing I also understand we have NOBODY on our bench capable of putting a stop to it...and that just makes it worse.

What do we want done here? I was at the game and admittedly missed this, but Madden said this afternoon that Oleksiak wanted to fight him and he refused. If he's not going to fight Oleksiak, he sure as heck wasn't going to fight Reaves.

The key to stopping a guy like him isn't to target him directly. He won't, or will hardly ever, answer for his cowardly play in a fight, and he's too slippery of a guy to physically punish - he's always on the offensive looking out to put a hurting on the other team...seems hard to catch him unaware. The key is to play extremely rough against their stars when/where you can. Obviously OV is a brick house, so that means you target Backstrom, Kuznetsov & Carlson for abuse.

The ultimate revenge is to send them towards an early tee time for the third straight year in a row.

I totally agree with all you stated. Wilson is so big and strong, it would take a heavyweight player to do him damage. And he would not engage with Reaves. And also Reaves would not catch up with Wilson if they played on the ice at the same time.

The problem is that the Pens barely have any player that has a physical presence to harm anyone, you need someone with weight to real damage. We have so many short players, to deliver a headshot its much easier you are tall like Wilson. Malkin and Oleksiak are probably the only people that could create a real bang. And Malkin is out of the question. Maata has size, but no strength or will to do any harm.

If the Pens are dead set losing this series, I am actually fine if we would dress a scrub for a vengeance assault. That could prevent future attacks. I dont like it, but it might be necessary. But thats only if we are truly eliminated.
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 6:10 pm

Inkio wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:Why is this taking so long? I assume they want to have a result by at least the first intermission of the TBL/BOS game tonight so the NBC crew can complain about all of the needless outrage over a hockey play.

I don’t understand what’s taking so long. Kane’s suspension took about 7 1/2 hours after announcing the hearing.

It’s been 9 hours since they announced Wilson’s hearing.

Apparently the delay is that Ted Leonsis is undecided on the amount to write on the check to Bettman's IRA.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 6:12 pm

Inkio wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:Why is this taking so long? I assume they want to have a result by at least the first intermission of the TBL/BOS game tonight so the NBC crew can complain about all of the needless outrage over a hockey play.

I don’t understand what’s taking so long. Kane’s suspension took about 7 1/2 hours after announcing the hearing.

It’s been 9 hours since they announced Wilson’s hearing.

There is no delay, relax.

for reference: of the five suspensions handed out this postseason so far, 1 of them was announced before 7pm (at 4:34). 3 were announced between 7:11-7:25. And one was announced at 7:54. So relax on the "delay", as its not clear that the decision is delayed out of norm. (all in eastern time)
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Wed May 02, 2018 6:29 pm

Ken Campbell had the nerve to call ZAR a lowly 4th liner in his article for Hockey News. He didn't even have the effin common courtesy to name ZAR in the article. What is wrong with these people in journalism? Do they even have a clue?
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Lesky on Wed May 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Tom Wilson suspension timeline: Controversial Capital has built career on blurring lines

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/news/to ... lpw7ah3yf7
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

Three games per twitter.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby FLPensFan on Wed May 02, 2018 6:55 pm

FLPensFan
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 6:56 pm

pronovost19 wrote:Ken Campbell had the nerve to call ZAR a lowly 4th liner in his article for Hockey News. He didn't even have the effin common courtesy to name ZAR in the article. What is wrong with these people in journalism? Do they even have a clue?

Reading the Crapital fans comments following the article was even more disturbing. These clowns are so hungry for a Cup, they appear willing to see heads literally roll to get it.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 02, 2018 6:58 pm

pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DelPen on Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Better win the next three now. Don’t want this animal let lose again this series.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 7:00 pm

Lesky wrote:
blurryhaze312 wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:As nauseating as it was to see Wilson laughing I also understand we have NOBODY on our bench capable of putting a stop to it...and that just makes it worse.

What do we want done here? I was at the game and admittedly missed this, but Madden said this afternoon that Oleksiak wanted to fight him and he refused. If he's not going to fight Oleksiak, he sure as heck wasn't going to fight Reaves.

The key to stopping a guy like him isn't to target him directly. He won't, or will hardly ever, answer for his cowardly play in a fight, and he's too slippery of a guy to physically punish - he's always on the offensive looking out to put a hurting on the other team...seems hard to catch him unaware. The key is to play extremely rough against their stars when/where you can. Obviously OV is a brick house, so that means you target Backstrom, Kuznetsov & Carlson for abuse.

The ultimate revenge is to send them towards an early tee time for the third straight year in a row.

I totally agree with all you stated. Wilson is so big and strong, it would take a heavyweight player to do him damage. And he would not engage with Reaves. And also Reaves would not catch up with Wilson if they played on the ice at the same time.

The problem is that the Pens barely have any player that has a physical presence to harm anyone, you need someone with weight to real damage. We have so many short players, to deliver a headshot its much easier you are tall like Wilson. Malkin and Oleksiak are probably the only people that could create a real bang. And Malkin is out of the question. Maata has size, but no strength or will to do any harm.

If the Pens are dead set losing this series, I am actually fine if we would dress a scrub for a vengeance assault. That could prevent future attacks. I dont like it, but it might be necessary. But thats only if we are truly eliminated.

What's sad is there is a hockey news article about the Penguins not having an answer for Tom Wilson. They do, they just don't choose to cross the lines like the NHL allows him to do. The Pens play physical, but how do you have an answer to someone willing to cross the lines and do what he does? I guarantee you if Oleksiak pounded Wilson, he'd be the victim. I don't mean hit him hard, I mean instigator penalty, grab him and beat him to a pulp attack. That's the answer to Tom Wilson, but why should the Penguins resort to that when the rule book is clear on head shots (plenty of posts here, so not going to add to it)?

Why do the Penguins need to bring back Slapshot because the NHL is too cowardly to do what's right for the league?

The actual answer to Tom Wilson is a long term suspension. I don't mean 3-5 games, I mean 30-50 Raffi Torres type suspension. Otherwise, the NHL will continue to be a cowardly backward league with no direction and a small audience.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pruezy11881 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:01 pm

You watch that slow motion reverse view, you can really see ZAR's jaw just getting blown in the opposite direction. I can't imagine that feeling... yuck.
Pruezy11881
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 7:02 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Video explanation:

https://www.nhl.com/video/wilson-suspen ... c-60214803

Not good enough, but it's a start.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed May 02, 2018 7:05 pm

Dear pens make his season null and void after the 3 games!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pressure=9Pa on Wed May 02, 2018 7:07 pm

Daniel wrote:

I thought it was a reasonable explanation. Shows how the upward thrust was completely in Wilson's control to avoid, and that the head shot was at best reckless if not intentional. What I don't like is how the ZAR injury is a factor. If he were day-to-day, would that mean 1 game is the "correct" penalty?
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Stillerz Bar on Wed May 02, 2018 7:09 pm

penny lane wrote:Dear pens make his season null and void after the 3 games!

Won't be enough to stop him from doing it again but its more than I thought they'd do. Let's win the next 3 and have this end his season!!
Stillerz Bar
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 7:10 pm

3 games. Surprises me.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:12 pm

Humperdink wrote:3 games. Surprises me.

Me too.

One for Dumo, two for consecutive dumbass plays?
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby pronovost19 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm

after watching and listening to the explanation, I am somewhat surprised he didnt get more.
pronovost19
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Daniel wrote:

I thought it was a reasonable explanation. Shows how the upward thrust was completely in Wilson's control to avoid, and that the head shot was at best reckless if not intentional. What I don't like is how the ZAR injury is a factor. If he were day-to-day, would that mean 1 game is the "correct" penalty?

The thing I don't get "he didn't move suddenly" and allowed the hit. Sorry, but a hit to the head is a hit to the head. If someone moves suddenly into an oncoming stick, is it not cross checking or slashing? If they move suddenly and get tripped, is it not tripping?

They admit that he met the criteria, which is obvious, then give him 3 games? Sorry, but not good enough. Predatory hits like that have no place in the game and suspension needs to be so lengthy the player has to adapt his game. 3 games is nothing for this scum bag and won't deter anything.
Daniel
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Zalapski33 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Surprised he got the 3 games,but his history merits this.The NHL let the Wenberg and Dumoulin hits go unpunished and unfortunately it took a broken jaw for ZAR to hand this down.Tom Wilson has shown throughout his career that he has no problem with targeting guys for head shots and dangerous hits that cross the line and show no respect for his opponents.
Zalapski33

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 7:21 pm

Shows you how accurate polling can be, only 2 voters picked 3 games.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm

I still have to laugh that 4 men in stripes saw nothing incriminating.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 pm

The one linesman was a foot away turned the other way

So what are the Comcast morons saying ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Here's a thought my son had. If a guy gets suspended or fined for a hit that wasn't penalized, the team with the injured player gets to start the next game with that opponent with a five-minute power play, double minor, or minor depending on the nature of the play. The resulting game misconduct (if any) could be added to the suspension or one of the games served in the next game against that opponent limiting the offending team to 17 skaters.

It would be tricky if the two teams don't play again in the regular season or playoffs and the guy gets traded. You could still get the power play next game and make the other team dress 17 skaters instead of 18 in the event of a major. The additional game could be served first game next year regardless of opponent. This way, the offending team would be penalized and the team that got a bad call would be rewarded.

Another downside would be that the NHL would just shorten suspensions by a game. In either case if a guy misses time it would be at least one game against the team that was hurt by the hit and teams wouldn't get away with major penalties.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins