Poll: Wilsons penalty.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

What will Tom Wilsons hearing product be?

5000 Dollars
24%
1 game
29%
2 games
18%
3 games
8%
4 games
10%
5 games
No votes
Should of been a in-person hearing.
10%

Total votes : 49

Re: Poll: Wilsons penalty.

Postby blurryhaze312 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:35 pm

I think an easier solution is just having Toronto monitoring for a case like what happened last night. In the event of an egregious penalty that was missed that warrants an ejection, like Wilson's, they can call down to the ice and stop play, telling the officials to kick him out and award the 5min penalty. Treat it just like a goal that was scored but no one knew - clock resets back to the point of the penalty and the major begins.
blurryhaze312
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PensFanSince1970 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:36 pm

Shocked he was suspended. Thankfully, they did. Guess they wanted to make sure he will not be in the lineup for games played here.
PensFanSince1970
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 7:39 pm

blurryhaze312 wrote:I think an easier solution is just having Toronto monitoring for a case like what happened last night. In the event of an egregious penalty that was missed that warrants an ejection, like Wilson's, they can call down to the ice and stop play, telling the officials to kick him out and award the 5min penalty. Treat it just like a goal that was scored but no one knew - clock resets back to the point of the penalty and the major begins.

If they get those right as often as they do other replays then I like the other solution much better. I don't think Toronto was going to throw him out and the added pressure to punish a repeat offender won't build up during the time out. You could do both but Toronto clearing it probably takes the review out of player safety's hands.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby BurghThing on Wed May 02, 2018 7:51 pm

Need an option for the chair
BurghThing
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed May 02, 2018 7:52 pm

Humperdink wrote:I still have to laugh that 4 men in stripes saw nothing incriminating.

^THIS^

If they had done their job correctly, we most likely win that game. We should have been on an extended PP. The refs have blown two games in a row now for the Pens.

** I am not someone who complains about refs either. Check my posts, I doubt there are any. But they have blown it.
lemieuxReturns
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Faubert5 on Wed May 02, 2018 8:07 pm

BurghThing wrote:Need an option for the chair

Cardinal Biggles of the Department of Player Safety introduces the NHL's chair option.

Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby Southern Fan on Wed May 02, 2018 8:53 pm

So I wonder what Pen gets suspended for game 5 ?
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 8:57 pm

Southern Fan wrote:So I wonder what Pen gets suspended for game 5 ?

I almost wonder if the teams will be careful to start the game since the refs will be watching everything and probably trying to maintain control as quickly as possible.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby alancac98 on Wed May 02, 2018 9:13 pm

If you truly want to stop the hits to the head, the deterant has to have a consequence much greater than benefit of the hit. For example, if Wilson were to illegally Target and hit the head of Crosby resulting in a concussion and missed games, the penalty should be much bigger for the Caps. Suspend Wilson for the same number of games that Crosby is out. But... the punishment doesn't end there. The Caps would also lose Ovie as he is of the nearest value to his team that Crosby is to the Pens. Ovie, too, would sit until Crosby returns. This type of punishment would deter any such hit from occurring as the penalty would be greater than the crime. Now, some of you may say that it would be unfair to sit two players when only one was injured. However, if you didn't, what you would have is scrub 4th liners playing against 1st liners in order to take them out of the game. A 4th liner is easier to replace during the game or subsequent games than a 1st liner would be.
alancac98
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Steve on Wed May 02, 2018 10:04 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Three games per twitter.

Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Lesky on Thu May 03, 2018 12:27 am

Maybe, just maybe, Tom Wilson will think twice the next time he wants to send his shoulder through somebody's head. (not sure though as that would require him thinking once) :wink:
Lesky
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 03, 2018 5:59 am

Lesky wrote:Maybe, just maybe, Tom Wilson will think twice the next time he wants to send his shoulder through somebody's head. (not sure though as that would require him thinking once) :wink:

The problem is, you used "Tom Wilson" and "think" in the same sentence. :D

Anyhow, I'm not complaining about the suspension, but Wilson should be out for 4 games IMO. There shouldn't be a chance of him playing again in this series. ZAR is out for the rest of the playoffs and he has to eat his dinner thru a straw because of that neanderthal.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Thu May 03, 2018 6:53 am

Next for review should be both the referees and the linesmen who were too cowardly to make the call.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 am

From reading Wilsons history of big hits and questionable plays, I have to shift some blame on the NHL for not dealing with this guy sooner. Wilson had to almost feel like he had immunity when hitting players. Like oh the NHL won't do anything I will hit at will. Its a damn shame it took a broken jaw and a concussion for them to look at something to say hey we got to show him its not right to do this.

I do kinda understand that the league has to be aware of players faking injuries to make the hammer fall harder on players. But in any case if a hit is delivered in a wreckless and careless fashion even with no injury a fine should be dished out. Just so its added into a players history, so when another hit is dished out where an actual injury is delivered the punishment falls even harder.

I know injuries shouldn't be a factor but the NHL has only shown that the bar has been set there. Garage league.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu May 03, 2018 7:23 am

penny lane wrote:Next for review should be both the referees and the linesmen who were too cowardly to make the call.

As easy as it is to get mad about the blown call, in fairness the only angle where it's obvious is from the bench side of the boards. The only striped shirt with a view is taking cover because he's about to become part of the hit. The speed of the game requires video review for these hits, like NCAA football with targeting.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby jreed on Thu May 03, 2018 7:39 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
penny lane wrote:Next for review should be both the referees and the linesmen who were too cowardly to make the call.

As easy as it is to get mad about the blown call, in fairness the only angle where it's obvious is from the bench side of the boards. The only striped shirt with a view is taking cover because he's about to become part of the hit. The speed of the game requires video review for these hits, like NCAA football with targeting.

Thats the key. The refs huddled after the fact and obviously no one had the view they needed to make the call. They need to have the option of looking on replay. Even college basketball has a review to take a look at certain kinds of fouls. I wonder if this wont be the impetuous for such a change?

Ive always felt that the punishment for an illegal hit such as this, should often match the injury time of the injured player. That's one the way to make this stop. I guarantee you that Tom Wilson gets a talking to by Trots after the Dumo hit if that were the case.
jreed
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:48 am

jreed wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:

Thats the key. The refs huddled after the fact and obviously no one had the view they needed to make the call. They need to have the option of looking on replay. Even college basketball has a review to take a look at certain kinds of fouls. I wonder if this wont be the impetuous for such a change?

Ive always felt that the punishment for an illegal hit such as this, should often match the injury time of the injured player. That's one the way to make this stop. I guarantee you that Tom Wilson gets a talking to by Trots after the Dumo hit if that were the case.

Live, from my seats above the Washington bench, I thought for certain it was a charge. Looking at the zoomed out replay, I realized he actually didn't take any strides, he was gliding to the bench to make a line change when he saw opportunity and struck. I do believe he left his feet, but his timing was good (he's practiced!) to make his launch simultaneous to the hit, making it seem like the impact made him come off the ice. So all the refs had to go on was the injury, as they couldn't see the impact area themselves. Now, they could deduce what happened, but that isn't really their job, they need to actually see it. The should have blown the play dead immediately, however. Making the Pens take possession of the puck was crap, I thought they changed that after the Wisniewski injury?

I had a larger grip with the Giroux hit on Hagelin, which was also interference as Carl no longer had the puck and left him with a bloody mouth. There was clearly head contact with that hit, but not a peep got said about it. Fortunately, the Pens ejected Giroux from the playoffs that afternoon.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:52 am

alancac98 wrote:If you truly want to stop the hits to the head, the deterant has to have a consequence much greater than benefit of the hit. For example, if Wilson were to illegally Target and hit the head of Crosby resulting in a concussion and missed games, the penalty should be much bigger for the Caps. Suspend Wilson for the same number of games that Crosby is out. But... the punishment doesn't end there. The Caps would also lose Ovie as he is of the nearest value to his team that Crosby is to the Pens. Ovie, too, would sit until Crosby returns. This type of punishment would deter any such hit from occurring as the penalty would be greater than the crime. Now, some of you may say that it would be unfair to sit two players when only one was injured. However, if you didn't, what you would have is scrub 4th liners playing against 1st liners in order to take them out of the game. A 4th liner is easier to replace during the game or subsequent games than a 1st liner would be.

If the penalty gets too drastic, they will become more shy about applying it. A compromise would be to simply not allow them to fill the roster slot with another player during the suspension. Although I think the NHLPA would oppose it, with the "player safety" of having a short bench ironically being their justification.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Great58 on Thu May 03, 2018 7:54 am

Lesky wrote:Maybe, just maybe, Tom Wilson will think twice the next time he wants to send his shoulder through somebody's head. (not sure though as that would require him thinking once) :wink:

Not going to happen. The Capitals players, their coach, and all their fans have absolved Tom of any wrong doing. He will be coddled, told it was a good hockey hit with an unfortunate outcome, and he won't reflect on the need for change. He is their martyr.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 03, 2018 8:34 am

Trotz is a dirt bag. The guy is full of excuses and made up stories when he should just STFU. The more he talks the more I put him in the buffoon category. I have no doubt that he's instructing his players to go out and try to injure players on the opposing side.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Thu May 03, 2018 9:11 am

Badger Bob wrote:Trotz is a dirt bag. The guy is full of excuses and made up stories when he should just STFU. The more he talks the more I put him in the buffoon category. I have no doubt that he's instructing his players to go out and try to injure players on the opposing side.

There’s a reason Nashville is better after he left.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:20 am

Faubert5 wrote:Here's a thought my son had. If a guy gets suspended or fined for a hit that wasn't penalized, the team with the injured player gets to start the next game with that opponent with a five-minute power play, double minor, or minor depending on the nature of the play. The resulting game misconduct (if any) could be added to the suspension or one of the games served in the next game against that opponent limiting the offending team to 17 skaters.

It would be tricky if the two teams don't play again in the regular season or playoffs and the guy gets traded. You could still get the power play next game and make the other team dress 17 skaters instead of 18 in the event of a major. The additional game could be served first game next year regardless of opponent. This way, the offending team would be penalized and the team that got a bad call would be rewarded.

Another downside would be that the NHL would just shorten suspensions by a game. In either case if a guy misses time it would be at least one game against the team that was hurt by the hit and teams wouldn't get away with major penalties.

So I think your son is on the right track but let's take a page out of MLB which isn't always best sport to take examples from but I think in this case it would work.

When it comes to head shots, first time offender gets 1 game. Could have just been fluke so no need to penalize super hard.

Second time offender gets 3 games. Bad luck twice?

Third time offender gets 10 games. A pattern is developed and needs to be addressed.

Fourth time or greater gets 15 games and a possible review of year suspension (without pay).
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pensfan4life8771 on Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 am

DelPen wrote:
Badger Bob wrote:Trotz is a dirt bag. The guy is full of excuses and made up stories when he should just STFU. The more he talks the more I put him in the buffoon category. I have no doubt that he's instructing his players to go out and try to injure players on the opposing side.

I always thought Barry Trotz was a good coach but I sincerely do think if Caps lose this round against us for third year he gets axed. Do I think he'd do anything to not get fired and win? I dont' know him so I can't answer it but when you mess/threaten with somebody's finances (aka firing him) they usually change their mental whatever it takes threshold.
Pensfan4life8771
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Thu May 03, 2018 9:59 am

Pensfan4life8771 wrote:
DelPen wrote:

I always thought Barry Trotz was a good coach but I sincerely do think if Caps lose this round against us for third year he gets axed. Do I think he'd do anything to not get fired and win? I dont' know him so I can't answer it but when you mess/threaten with somebody's finances (aka firing him) they usually change their mental whatever it takes threshold.

Are you saying that this is Trotz changing his spots? He's been like this since he joined that Caps and when he was like that with the Preds. Check out him praising Weber for smashing Zetterberg's head:

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainme ... ce/256130/
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu May 03, 2018 10:43 am

I think it's fairly simple....

Headshot = major penalty + suspension no matter what the name on the back of either jersey is; accidental? doesn't matter...

Players = The players should be the main voice in wanting to clean this up, and that was the case a few years ago. Every one of them has a stake in this.

NHL = I hate replay and wish it would go away completely (in every sport), so I don't want play being halted every time there is a big check, but not sure why they can't have someone in a similar role to the Concussion Monitor in football who sits upstairs and monitors the plays. That person would have the benefit of replay and can call down to the on-ice official if there should be an ejection. Maybe it comes down 1-2 minutes after the incident (like when they blow the horn when a goal needs to be reviewed at the next whistle).
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins