We're fortunate as a fanbase

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

We're fortunate as a fanbase

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 8:37 pm

Over the past few days, we've vented over the cheap shots the Penguins have had to endure. Talk of leaving the sport as fans, frustration with the NHL, and other things.

What was it, 5 years ago? Mario Lemieux said he had enough of the Matt Cookes of the team and the Penguins have tried to keep that kind of nonsense to a minimum. Not going to have blinders on and say we don't see our fair share of cheap shots, but they aren't tolerated like other teams will.

Coaches make excuses "it was a hockey play" "he move his head to the check" and various other themes that all say "we accept what this player has done".

The Penguins are two time champion, read that again TWO TIME CHAMPIONS and don't have a single player that the NHL wonders if they need to review a hit or a play they made (again, not saying there are no cheap shots, they do happen and are legitimate accidents and just stupid foolishness, but no predators).

This might be a copycat league, but teams, and the NHL, are usually too lazy to try and get a team as deep and as skilled as we've witnessed over the previous years. Instead, they get predatory head hunters and encourage the behavior.

As fans, I think we're fortunate to not have to wonder if a player is about to be suspended. Wonder if Matt Cooke is going to do something stupid that will cause a suspension. I know it's frustrating to watch this stuff happen, but the franchise is has a lot of integrity on and off the ice. The same can't be said for other franchies.

Will they win a third straight? Who knows, but win or lose they will be an example of what's good with hockey.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: We're fortunate as a fanbase

Postby no name on Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 pm

I was most impressed with 2 things about tge Matt Cooke situation.

1. They ignored the league suspension and held him out of the rest of the season. Even though he could of came back and played.
2. They never turned their back on him, made him aware of how he had to change and he did.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Daniel on Wed May 02, 2018 9:22 pm

no name wrote:I was most impressed with 2 things about tge Matt Cooke situation.

1. They ignored the league suspension and held him out of the rest of the season. Even though he could of came back and played.
2. They never turned their back on him, made him aware of how he had to change and he did.

Absolutely,

The team truly did what they thought was best for him. From wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Cooke

He spent much of the time with Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma reviewing each of his hits to learn how to change his game to hit within the rules. Cooke said, "The way I played before was to get the biggest hit possible every time no matter what," and that now in "certain situations, I just approach differently. I try to get the puck more than I did before."

They stopped making excuses and worked to make him a better player and person. If Tom Wilson wasn't in the NHL, he'd likely be in prison. Huge difference in how these franchises approach problem players.
Daniel
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Southern Fan on Thu May 03, 2018 8:00 am

One good aspect of winning the cups is that it is a copy cat league and teams adapt. Front office guys move and other franchises get better.

Mackenzie mentioned how a minority of g managers want to ban all head shots and first three guys he mentioned were Shero, Rutherford and Fletcher.

There are still scum teams out there and disputable players, but the pool is shrinking. Speed seems to be more important than sending players to the dark room.

Now if the league, old school analysts and on ice officials would get on board.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pronovost19 on Thu May 03, 2018 8:07 am

I think most of the talking heads have been able to get on board. Even Lawton said, "Hey I'm old school and I love a great hit, but this is dangerous." He admits that he has been reluctant to get on board because of the way he was taught to play hockey. Then follows up by saying, yeah I need to get on board with the new NHL. So most of the holdouts on "good hard hockey" know that the quiet dark room is not where we want our players to be and that the hits can still be hard and legal but they do not need to involve decapitating folks for gladiator type entertainment.
pronovost19
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Cow_Master66 on Thu May 03, 2018 11:42 am

Wilson situation is very similar to the Cooke situation. Nobody around here is talking about the fact that he's actually a decent hockey player, as was Cooke. Everyone wants to hate him and call him an empty headed buffoon, but if you listen to him he's anything but.

Hopefully their organization take a similar approach and try to get him to change his game because he has a future in this league that doesn't involve being a neanderthal. But as I said in the other thread, the players need to be involved in the change; they will play a big part of getting rid of the garbage.
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Great58 on Thu May 03, 2018 11:43 am

no name wrote:I was most impressed with 2 things about tge Matt Cooke situation.

I don't believe that is accurate. The suspension was for the final ten games of the season and the first round of the playoffs. The Pens lost round 1 to the Rangers, so Cooke served his suspension but the Pens didn't hold him out longer.

I do agree that it was a bold move for Shero to call out his penalty as the behavior they wanted eliminated from the league, and that the Pens worked with him to try to reform his behaviors.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins