Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Curb Caps 3-1 (R2, G4)

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Curb Caps 3-1 (R2, G4)

Postby netwolf on Fri May 04, 2018 12:46 am

Credit to [redacted] for the sweet Pens-centric pic.
Stewie Griffin wrote:Now then, I’m going to do something I call the “compliment sandwich”, where I say something good, then talk about where you need improvement, and then end with something good.

Pens vs Caps, a 3-1 win

Something good: Like the last game, the Pens entered the third period with a 1 goal lead. Unlike last game though, they held Washington to 3 shots instead of being held to 3 themselves. Per the Pens' app, the average distance on those was 43'. That's what you want to see while closing out a game.

Where they need improvement: Finding ways to win is always good, but sooner or later, this team will need to find a way to score a goal when Sidney Crosby isn't out there. They haven't yet in this series.

Something good: For as unsustainable as I think being a one line time is, Crosby and Jake Guentzel are certainly doing their best to prove me wrong. Two more points for each of them.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Re: Stewie Griffin Postgame: Pens Curb Caps 3-1 (R2, G4)

Postby Great58 on Fri May 04, 2018 5:24 am

Best team playoff performance of this postseason. If they bring this game with them to Washington (and beyond), they could be dangerous.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 6:54 am

I was there last night. What a game! The house was rockin'. That was playoff hockey, eh? If they would have disallowed that Geno goal, 18,650 people would have rioted.

Guentzel is amazing.

Time to steal one in Washington and come back home to wrap this thing up before the Neanderthal is allowed to play again.

And Oshie is a punk.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Humperdink on Fri May 04, 2018 7:51 am

Good: A great comeback win (Captain Obvious here). Jake finds a way. Jake is money.

Bad: Once again, gutless officiating rears it's ugly head. Crosscheck to Jake, no call. Major league charge by Oshie, no call and presumably no review. You know, 'cause it did not impact the game.

Good. No shots on goal by The Great Dud, Ovenchicken. Pens shut him down. Was not available to the media after the game.
Humperdink
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 7:55 am

Humperdink wrote:Good. No shots on goal by The Great Dud, Ovenchicken. Pens shut him down. Was not available to the media after the game.

I didn't even notice Ovechkin on the ice until about 3/4 of the way thru the first period.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 am

Haha, this story is awesome:

https://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.c ... four-loss/

Poor poor Capitals. Tommy the Apeman decapitates 3 guys in the playoffs and it's the league's fault? Give me an effin' break. They're trying to act like the victims here. And Nicky boy is a whiny baby.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 04, 2018 8:30 am

Hard to understand any narratives where the Capitals are victims. In game two, they had two goal reviews go their way (which easily could have gone the other). Wilson got away with a head shot. In game three, Wilson got away with another head shot, and was allowed to stay in the game to get away with a slew foot on Maatta directly leading to the game-winning goal. They’re getting plenty of breaks.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Southern Fan on Fri May 04, 2018 9:10 am

But at least they didn’t spit on anyone.
Southern Fan
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 9:51 am

Henry Hank wrote:Hard to understand any narratives where the Capitals are victims. In game two, they had two goal reviews go their way (which easily could have gone the other). Wilson got away with a head shot. In game three, Wilson got away with another head shot, and was allowed to stay in the game to get away with a slew foot on Maatta directly leading to the game-winning goal. They’re getting plenty of breaks.

Refs screwed them out of the series in 2016, NHL won't suspend dirty players like Crosby or Letang, video reviews never go their way, NBC hates them, Ovie gets targeted by the refs because he's Russian, NHL is based on Crosby thus Pens get every call, NHL moved game one to Pittsburgh in 1834 or whenever that was, Pens got the only five-on-three powerplay in the history of hockey granted to them in 2009. Narrative hasn't changed at all, the Caps are perpetual victims.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Faubert5 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:54 am

Humperdink wrote:Jake finds a way.

Eventually he'll beat the dinosaurs of the NHL.

Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Faubert5
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby E-Ramone on Fri May 04, 2018 9:59 am

pressure=9Pa wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:Hard to understand any narratives where the Capitals are victims. In game two, they had two goal reviews go their way (which easily could have gone the other). Wilson got away with a head shot. In game three, Wilson got away with another head shot, and was allowed to stay in the game to get away with a slew foot on Maatta directly leading to the game-winning goal. They’re getting plenty of breaks.

Refs screwed them out of the series in 2016, NHL won't suspend dirty players like Crosby or Letang, video reviews never go their way, NBC hates them, Ovie gets targeted by the refs because he's Russian, NHL is based on Crosby thus Pens get every call, NHL moved game one to Pittsburgh in 1834 or whenever that was, Pens got the only five-on-three powerplay in the history of hockey granted to them in 2009. Narrative hasn't changed at all, the Caps are perpetual victims.

My favorite part of the comments is them arguing about the LeTang/Oshie fight and LeTang throwing punches after the refs tried to end it. They completely ignore the reason for the fight in the first place was Oshie's torpedo launch into LeTang. I get that fans are biased, but c'mon!
E-Ramone
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 10:02 am

E-Ramone wrote:
pressure=9Pa wrote:

My favorite part of the comments is them arguing about the LeTang/Oshie fight and LeTang throwing punches after the refs tried to end it. They completely ignore the reason for the fight in the first place was Oshie's torpedo launch into LeTang. I get that fans are biased, but c'mon!

Yeah I saw that any of:

Letang's slash to Ovie after the goal in game 3
Letang's instigation of the fight yesterday
Letang's attempted punches after the refs intervened in the fight

were far worse than anything Wilson had done in the series.

All fans in all sports think they are victimized, the fundamental difference with Washington is that this type of thinking had permeated their locker room and front office.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 10:10 am

GuyInNoVA is a total ******. He's got the tin foil hat fit snuggly around his small idiot brain.

I like how they bring up Sid slicing Methot's finger. I guess Ovechkin's unsuspended antics he's committed over the years are OK? That guy as been a reckless freight train since he entered the league.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 10:16 am

Badger Bob wrote:GuyInNoVA is a total ******. He's got the tin foil hat fit snuggly around his small idiot brain.

I like how they bring up Sid slicing Methot's finger, but I guess Ovechkin's unsuspended antics he's committed over the years are OK? That guy as been a reckless freight train since he entered the league.

Ovechkin has learned that we he realizes he has committed a borderline hit, he goes down too and gives the appearance of an accidental collision.
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jim on Fri May 04, 2018 10:43 am

Ovechkin has actually got a lot better at NOT doing the after the whistle stuff and questionable hits. They are still in his toolbox, but he doesn't do it nearly as much as he used to. Especially the late/questionable hit stuff.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins