If you could sign Guentzel to a contract for X/yr for Y year

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

If you could sign Guentzel to a contract for X/yr for Y year

Postby Antonio on Fri May 04, 2018 2:05 am

Put in your desired numbers if you could make this decision.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: If you could sign Guentzel to a contract for X/yr for Y

Postby Dutchpensfan on Fri May 04, 2018 3:00 am

$6M AAV for 6-7 years would be awesome. Maybe overpayment at first but it will be a bargain at the backend of the contract.
Dutchpensfan

Postby Great58 on Fri May 04, 2018 5:15 am

He’s an artibration eligible RFA (at the end of NEXT season), so we will be able to do just that. I think a Horqvist type of contract at 5x5 would be reasonable, assuming next season goes in the right direction, too. For now, enjoy his $700,000 contract/cap hit.

We got him with a third round draft pick... that we got from Dallas in the Morrows deal? Or from somewhere else? I can’t remember.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri May 04, 2018 6:17 am

It’s goign to be a bridge deal, it doesn’t benefit him to do a deal longer than 3 years. Guessing around $15 total.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 6:55 am

Yeah, I was going to say about $5M per year.
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 04, 2018 7:57 am

Free skin-a-max for the life of his contract. Maybe we can get him a new xbox and stuff. The kid is 13 what is he going to do with 15 million.

Like the 3yr/15m, that seems fair.
no name
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pressure=9Pa on Fri May 04, 2018 8:07 am

4 yr / $20.5MM
pressure=9Pa
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Henry Hank on Fri May 04, 2018 8:40 am

I think it’s going to be a really hard contract negotiation this summer. There’s a huge disconnect between his playoff and regular season numbers, especially this season. His current contract isn’t even up until after next season and then he’s arbitration-eligible?

I’d do something like six years, $30 million this summer, but I doubt Guentzel agrees to that as he could be selling himself very short. At the least, a bridge deal is another possibility after next season, probably two years to give the Pens another RFA year of control before the big contract happens.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cow_Master66 on Fri May 04, 2018 9:02 am

4yrs/18.5M
Cow_Master66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 9:09 am

Jake needs the money to support his Dad now:

http://www.startribune.com/mike-guentze ... 481533811/
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Steve on Fri May 04, 2018 9:33 am

I would sign him to a 1 year/$2,000 contract, mostly doing yard work and power skating and other hockey drill lessons for the kids. Not sure he would take that deal though.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri May 04, 2018 9:47 am

The league has paid guys with 1/15th his playoff production much larger deals. The Pens can't mess around here, everyone values a player that shows up when it matters. Can you imagine what Edmonton would pay to put him with McDavid? Lucic is $6M/yr and he scored 10 goals this year. He has 28 goals in 9 playoff years compared to Jake's 23 in 2 and Jake is only 23, probably 3-5 years from hitting his prime.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Fri May 04, 2018 9:49 am

This is such a tricky one. Who is the real Guentzel? The one who caught fire in May each of the last 2 years? Or the one who puts up a pedestrian 22/27-49 line all season?
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pens_CT on Fri May 04, 2018 10:19 am

Risto wrote:This is such a tricky one. Who is the real Guentzel? The one who caught fire in May each of the last 2 years? Or the one who puts up a pedestrian 22/27-49 line all season?

I wouldn't call 22 goals/49 points pedestrian. There were numerous years where we couldn't find a winger (except for Kunitz ) who could put up those numbers and play with Sid. I think they will do a bridge deal of around 3 years at 5 million per season and go from there.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Antonio on Fri May 04, 2018 10:30 am

4.5/yr 5yrs here.
Antonio
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Badger Bob on Fri May 04, 2018 10:30 am

Since he's got another year on his current contract, let's see how he does next season before we decide how much we're gonna tell GMJR to pay him. :D
Badger Bob
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Fri May 04, 2018 11:11 am

pens_CT wrote:
Risto wrote:This is such a tricky one. Who is the real Guentzel? The one who caught fire in May each of the last 2 years? Or the one who puts up a pedestrian 22/27-49 line all season?

I wouldn't call 22 goals/49 points pedestrian. There were numerous years where we couldn't find a winger (except for Kunitz ) who could put up those numbers and play with Sid. I think they will do a bridge deal of around 3 years at 5 million per season and go from there.

They're pedestrian when you're talking about $5 or $6 million per season long-term deal.

I do think he's better than his regular season numbers show. And those numbers were also suppressed by him not being on the #1 PP unit. But, I'd still be nervous to throw those numbers at a guy who's never topped 22 goals. I think a "show me" deal is definitely in order.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkintent on Fri May 04, 2018 11:26 am

Kucherov resigned for 3 years, $4.76M per while putting up more points. Hopefully Pens can resign Guentzel for less but doubtful.
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby Great58 on Fri May 04, 2018 11:55 am

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The league has paid guys with 1/15th his playoff production much larger deals. The Pens can't mess around here, everyone values a player that shows up when it matters. Can you imagine what Edmonton would pay to put him with McDavid? Lucic is $6M/yr and he scored 10 goals this year. He has 28 goals in 9 playoff years compared to Jake's 23 in 2 and Jake is only 23, probably 3-5 years from hitting his prime.

Good thing that Jake will be a restricted free agent and can't field offers from other teams. And will probably want to stay with Crosby and the core through the finish of their regime before looking to go elsewhere for more scratch.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jim on Fri May 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Great58 wrote:
RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:The league has paid guys with 1/15th his playoff production much larger deals. The Pens can't mess around here, everyone values a player that shows up when it matters. Can you imagine what Edmonton would pay to put him with McDavid? Lucic is $6M/yr and he scored 10 goals this year. He has 28 goals in 9 playoff years compared to Jake's 23 in 2 and Jake is only 23, probably 3-5 years from hitting his prime.

Good thing that Jake will be a restricted free agent and can't field offers from other teams. And will probably want to stay with Crosby and the core through the finish of their regime before looking to go elsewhere for more scratch.

He can field offers from other teams, and he can sign with a different team.
Jim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Great58 on Fri May 04, 2018 1:20 pm

Jim wrote:
Great58 wrote:

You're right, they can be offer-sheeted. I should have said good thing he is not an unrestricted free agent.
Great58
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Puck-Lurker on Fri May 04, 2018 3:39 pm

Give him Sheary's contract, four years.

Tell Sheary to pay Guentzel 1M off his own contract.

The universe back in order.
Puck-Lurker
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri May 04, 2018 3:47 pm

Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Great58 wrote:

You're right, they can be offer-sheeted. I should have said good thing he is not an unrestricted free agent.

How often does someone get an offer sheet? Chances are slim to none that it happens.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Fri May 04, 2018 3:58 pm

Well, Jake has one more year under his current contract. He will be 24 years old when the contract expires. He will probably want a three year deal so he can be a UFA once he turns 27 and can maximize his UFA value. If the parties do go for 3 years, the Pens should aim for 3 years at 4 million per year, he will probably want more like 5 million per year. Ideally, the Pens would be able to get a year of his UFA if they up the value a bit. Maybe something like 4 years at or near 5 million per year.

Either way, assuming he keeps doing what he's doing, he's gonna get paid. I would think this off season would be a good time to try and get a deal done. Jake hasn't made life changing money yet in his career, and should have motivation to sign a deal before next season starts... just in case. If the Pens wait until the end of next year, the price tag could rise (drastically) if Jake can have a regular season more in line with his playoff form.

So, let's call it 3-4 years at 4-5 million per year.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SubtropicalPenguin on Fri May 04, 2018 4:11 pm

pens_CT wrote:
Great58 wrote:
Jim wrote:
Great58 wrote:

How often does someone get an offer sheet? Chances are slim to none that it happens.

I haven't been able to locate any offer sheets made since 2013 (Ryan O'Rielly was offered by Calgary, but matched by Colorado). The last time I could find an RFA offer sheet that resulted in the player actually being moved was Dustin Penner in 2007, who was offered a 5 years, $21.5 million contract by Edmonton to pry him away from Anaheim. That move cost Edmonton a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round pick in 2008. I think most GMs consider it rude to even make an offer sheet, and it may hurt their ability to deal with that team in the future. In any event, they are pretty rare, and I don't think there's much of a risk of losing Jake via an offer sheet.
SubtropicalPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins