If you could sign Guentzel to a contract for X/yr for Y year

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: If you could sign Guentzel to a contract for X/yr for Y

Postby stonewizard51 on Fri May 04, 2018 5:12 pm

Badger Bob wrote:Since he's got another year on his current contract, let's see how he does next season before we decide how much we're gonna tell GMJR to pay him. :D

Exactly :)
stonewizard51
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Risto on Fri May 04, 2018 7:49 pm

SubtropicalPenguin wrote:Well, Jake has one more year under his current contract. He will be 24 years old when the contract expires. He will probably want a three year deal so he can be a UFA once he turns 27 and can maximize his UFA value. If the parties do go for 3 years, the Pens should aim for 3 years at 4 million per year, he will probably want more like 5 million per year. Ideally, the Pens would be able to get a year of his UFA if they up the value a bit. Maybe something like 4 years at or near 5 million per year.

Either way, assuming he keeps doing what he's doing, he's gonna get paid. I would think this off season would be a good time to try and get a deal done. Jake hasn't made life changing money yet in his career, and should have motivation to sign a deal before next season starts... just in case. If the Pens wait until the end of next year, the price tag could rise (drastically) if Jake can have a regular season more in line with his playoff form.

So, let's call it 3-4 years at 4-5 million per year.

This all sounds very reasonable while Guentzel is tearing up the playoffs. But I also have fresh memories of a struggling Guentzel who was so ineffective at times during the season that he was dropped to the 3rd line and seemed to be a candidate for a healthy scratch. I just don't know. It wouldn't shock me either way- if he became a point-per-game guy from here on out, or if he remained a 40 - 50 point guy.
Risto
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby longtimefan on Fri May 04, 2018 8:14 pm

Personally, I think Jake is a young kid who hit a wall after playing until mid June during his first pro season. He's never played that much hockey before in his life. Players do slump, even the best ones. Jake's track record isn't that long, but this is the player you've got, regular season and playoffs.

157GP 61G 123PTS

He also led Penguin forwards in hits this season, can move to center in an emergency, and also got some PK time. Anything you do is projection. He's also incredibly durable, having never missed an NHL game because of injury. Looking at the overall body of work......... He's got another year. My guess is they will try to go long term like they did with Dumoulin. He could follow the Maata, Murray route and sign during the season. Or they could wait and see if he can do it again. Which is a luxury, but also could prove to be a pricey luxury.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Sat May 05, 2018 6:49 am

Guentzel probably not worth as much with another team (meaning... Without Crosby) but he's worth a lot with him. I would guess longer term less money but I could see value on both sides on a 5-6m/yr deal.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby Malkintent on Sat May 05, 2018 9:55 am

Didn't he miss a few games with a concussion awhile back?
Malkintent
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Location: Please help my dog https://www.gofundme.com/sumdm7d8

Postby longtimefan on Sat May 05, 2018 1:48 pm

Malkintent wrote:Didn't he miss a few games with a concussion awhile back?

My bad. You are correct. He missed four games towards the end of last season in March. Still, he followed that up by not missing a game since, even though he's a slightly built guy who spends a lot of time in the dirty areas.
longtimefan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins